Status
Not open for further replies.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Still haven't ordered them but believe these are the two places I did use before.

Bottle http://www.glassbottleoutlet.com/16-oz-amber-boston-round-with-black-poly-cone-cap/
Store main page http://www.glassbottleoutlet.com/

Bottle http://www.containerandpackaging.com/item/G020B (Note caps are sold separately)
Store main page http://www.containerandpackaging.com/

Sometimes if you look too hard it all goes :blink:
Thanks sweetie, have both of those bookmarked (again) this time in a place I'll be able to find them again. lol Both have excellent prices, I'll check shipping later though

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Question: is it possible for an eliquid to become more concentrated over time. If a bottle is a month old and has been opened and closed daily, is there a breakdown of components and an off gassing of some of the components, leading to a higher concentration of nicotine per ml that remains in the bottle. Thanks
not a chemist, so I dunno really, but my best guess would be that since we do know that nic will degrade as air and light get to it, that with it being opened daily, I can't imagine the nic increasing to a higher concentration

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Question: is it possible for an eliquid to become more concentrated over time. If a bottle is a month old and has been opened and closed daily, is there a breakdown of components and an off gassing of some of the components, leading to a higher concentration of nicotine per ml that remains in the bottle. Thanks

As far as I know it remains consistent, especially over that short a period of time. Make sure you shake the bottle good before opening to make sure all the ingredients stay mixed. When it sits, anything in pg will gradually rise to the top d anything in pg will sink to the bottom because it's thicker. So just give the bottles a shake.

disallowedword

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2010
Smokane, WA
I've never tried to make anything other than single coils, so I don't know how or if a parallel coil would increase flavor. But, I think the prime factor is surface area of the coil, combined with the ability of the feed system to supply sufficient juice to keep any part of the coil from running dry.

The larger the coil diameter, the more the surface area and the more the quantity of wicking material that can fit inside it. A larger diameter coil will have greater resistance than a smaller diameter coil with the same number of loops, of course.
I wrapped a few coils, using Kanthal A-1 26g, and 28g paralleled in all combinations, but ended up spending the rest of the day learning how to properly wick the Sub tank mini.
I was taking a lot for granted, turns out I have been making wicks slightly to thick and to short. The day wasn’t wasted!
Having a properly wicked coil in the STM RBA has really improved the flavor, I had no clue what I was missing!
Im going to try to learn how to mount and wick a vertical coil in the STM today!
Thank you for the useful info!
I hope your replacement screw shows up today, its been a week now!
I discovered another good tool for screw recovery, and general desk clean up, 100wattmagnet.jpeg

The 2 spare RBA coils that came with the STM are not magnetic. Nichrome perhaps?

disallowedword

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2010
Smokane, WA
On topic,

Why not store nicotine in beer bottles? There are even oxygen absorbing caps available for beer bottles, maybe could use a screw top bottle as a dispenser. This would sure be a cheap route, and the nic would be protected from UV's and oxygen.

ETA: perhaps the oxygen absorbing caps would not work with nic, as the liquid being stored would have to emit some kind of gas to replace the oxygen being absorbed by the cap?

Last edited:

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com
I discovered another good tool for screw recovery, and general desk clean up,

The 2 spare RBA coils that came with the STM are not magnetic. Nichrome perhaps?
I haven't checked my mail since Monday. The replacement screw you sent me has more than likely been in my mailbox for days now.

Good magnet!

Hmm... I'd always assumed the spare coils were Kanthal and hadn't ever thought to check them with a magnet. Yep, non-magnetic.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA

From everything I've heard and read, no. Over time (a long time), the nic will break down and be less strong. But unless stored in direct sunlight and high temps, that will be a long, long time.

More likely the flavors are continuing to blend, which could affect the taste.

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com
Isabelle was referring to nicotine level rather than strength of taste, I believe.

Unless the e-liquid contains a significant amount of water or alcohol, any evaporation would be minimal. Even if the e-liquid does contain water or alcohol, the evaporation would either be negligible or minimal, with the absolute maximum increase in nicotine strength being around 10%. In that extreme situation 10 mg/ml nic strength would increase to 11 mg/ml nic strength, but it's HIGHLY unlikely that would happen under the conditions you describe.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
I wrapped a few coils, using Kanthal A-1 26g, and 28g paralleled in all combinations, but ended up spending the rest of the day learning how to properly wick the Sub tank mini.
I was taking a lot for granted, turns out I have been making wicks slightly to thick and to short. The day wasn’t wasted!
Having a properly wicked coil in the STM RBA has really improved the flavor, I had no clue what I was missing!
Im going to try to learn how to mount and wick a vertical coil in the STM today!
Thank you for the useful info!
I discovered another good tool for screw recovery, and general desk clean up, View attachment 495633

What is that?

disallowedword

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2010
Smokane, WA
What is that?
The picture is a eleaf istick 100w I just got, the battery door is held by some pretty strong little magnets. I haven’t figured out if this is a good thing or not. If I get held up at Canadian customs because this device destroyed my enhanced drivers license, then it will be a bad thing, lol.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
I ordered mine from Home Science Tools.
I like those caps but the bottles are more than twice as expensive. If I was only getting a coupe, I might be tempted to go with those. Thank you.
Thanks sweetie, have both of those bookmarked (again) this time in a place I'll be able to find them again. lol Both have excellent prices, I'll check shipping later though
I'm procrastinating about seeing how much shipping is. I did order from both before but it was two years ago.
On topic,

Why not store nicotine in beer bottles? There are even oxygen absorbing caps available for beer bottles, maybe could use a screw top bottle as a dispenser. This would sure be a cheap route, and the nic would be protected from UV's and oxygen.

ETA: perhaps the oxygen absorbing caps would not work with nic, as the liquid being stored would have to emit some kind of gas to replace the oxygen being absorbed by the cap?
Good question. Hope someone can come up with an answer.
I picked up bottles like these at the local Whole Food Market. They were in the soap making section.
Living in a city does have its advantages, occasionally. Any place around here that sold such things would have to charge a "tourist" price.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
On topic,

No reason not to, after being suitably cleaned after being suitably emptied. The "trick" is to get an airtight seal. I don't think O2 absorbming would be needed, and have no idea if they'd be desired. Just keep them sealed, chilled and away from light.

No, I mean some things spoil with age. That's the safety I'm talking about.

True, but the flavorings for juice seem to be pretty stable that way, PG has some anti-biotic properties, and I can't see anything bad happening in such a short time frame.

garyoa1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
True, but the flavorings for juice seem to be pretty stable that way, PG has some anti-biotic properties, and I can't see anything bad happening in such a short time frame.

But we're talking about juice that sits. It sucked so it's sitting. So more than a year later... ? In fact the old dump bottle may be even older den dat!

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast

Not that I've experienced, for both questions.

If I get held up at Canadian customs because this device destroyed my enhanced drivers license, then it will be a bad thing, lol.

Depends on if you're entering or leaving!
icon_wink.gif

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
But we're talking about juice that sits. It sucked so it's sitting. So more than a year later... ? In fact the old dump bottle may be even older den dat!

I have some that are at least a year old, and no problems. Except I still don't like 'em!

bigbells

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2013
60 mi east of Raleigh NC
soledoubtshow.com
I've got at least half a liter of store-bought joose that's over 2 years old. I do use it but not at a high rate (obviously), because I prefer my own DYI joose. I imagine it could easily be another 3 years before I finally finish off the store-bought joose.

This joose is not in the freezer, and most of it is in clear plastic containers on a bookshelf. I have not experienced any degradation as I use it.

It is not my intention to downplay concerns about ingredients going bad. I'm simply saying that I have not yet experienced any example of anything going bad. Two years is not very long in the scheme of things, especially since I have enough nic, VG, PG and flavorings to last me for 20 years.

In fact, I have everything I need to vape for the next 20 years without needing to spend a single additional cent on vaping. (Laughter appropriate.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread