OK, dat one is now in my repertoire!
toothy.gif

elbakan1

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2014
Cape Coral, Florida.
Hello,
It seems I was posting in an obscure part of the Back Porch. Phew!!!
Always fond of the darkness. always blinded by the lights.

Now, that I vented....sssss I'm proud to announce,,,, quietly ssss... that we are
not.... settling no.... ssss.... no...no...ssss.... we...ssss are going to do it..sssss THE AMERICAN WAY!!!!!
WE ARE GOING TO COURT!!!!.

The clone party is over..... not a minute too soon.

elby

MattB101

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2012
Deerfield Beach, FL
Would likely be a great diet book. make ya not wanna eat another thing ever again! If ya didn't grow/raise it yourself. Let us know what you think of it and get from it.
Even if you did raise it yourself. Know where those seeds came from?

Sent while sitting on my busted ..... Stay off the ice if you can't skate. I can't and didn't.

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
There is indeed a noticeable difference in the cost of lighting with LEDs as even when compared to low voltage fluorescent.
The latter not lasting very long, at least not as long as they're supposed to,
LEDs are cheaper to run and in maintenance cost since they are long lasting

My LED bulbs have proven to be long lasting and they're getting much more affordable too.
The lighting quality is superior to incandescent or fluorescent

I just wish I could find an LED that I could use in my 50/100/150 3-way reading light. I have a CFL that works in my bedroom one, but the living room one has a fairly small harp and the 3-way CFL just wouldn't fit.
Wow! Don't find many of his type around! How lucky for you that you found him! We've had heating problems when our temps get down around 0 this year. Mike was up since 4 this morning when he realized our heat was off again. Called the heater people and the guy came out right away. He checked out the heater, can't figure out what could be causing the outage. After he left Mike and I were wondering if we should have tipped him. Does anybody here tip a repair guy? Amoret, I wouldn't have hesitated to tip your guy given all the trouble he's going to, but this was a regular service call from a heating company and we had to give them our credit card to charge $300 before they'd even come out. Guess enough folks had problems, they fixed it and then the people didn't pay so they had to do the credit card thing. I'll find out later just how much this call cost.

Ah, but this is Norwegian Lutheran country, and he would be horrendously insulted if I tried to tip him. So the question now is whether his wife would be horrendously insulted if I bake something for them.;)

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
I got some French vanilla creme flavoring to make juice for a friend from flavor apprentice. We'll not only is it a great flavor for juice, it's also great for baking :)
We have an older friend across the mountain that I make cookies for ( to help him sleep) ;)
Last week I tried the French vanilla in a batch of cookies and they were awesome. Tasted like homemade nilla wafers!

Cuppa sugar
1 egg
Halfa sticka buttah
Bouta cuppa flour
Bouta halfa ml of French vanilla flavor

Preheat oven to 375. Mix all da goodness together. You will want your dough to be room temp so day spread out kinda thin. Bake bout 10 mins or until purty and brown round da edges :)

Can't get much easier than this! Thanks! I'll have to give it a try.

MattB101

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2012
Deerfield Beach, FL
My Dad graduated from Ohio State with a degree in engineering, and later got a Master's in welding engineering from Brooklyn Polytech. He used to use an abacus to do the family finances, and for many years he carried a clip-on slide rule in his shirt pocket. Way back when, he taught his curious oldest son how to use both of them, but I've used neither one for 40+ years.
My dad was an architect. Slide rules where his bread and butter for years. Actual bought one of the first digital calculators, probably cost around a grand.

Sent while sitting on my busted ..... Stay off the ice if you can't skate. I can't and didn't.

MattB101

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2012
Deerfield Beach, FL
I guess this is something to think about switching over to a little at a time. I hate the CFLs. We bought a couple and they didn't last long at all and weren't as bright as our incandescents. Figured as I started to run out of the supply I have of those I'll start switching over to LEDs. Just ran into Home Depot and they had the 60W Cree LEDs for $4.77. Sounds pretty reasonable to me. They do come in different watts though right?
That's a great deal. Usually that's what the no name brands cost. Absolutely they do but, I don't compare watts, I compare lumens. Just look at the incandescent box and find the lumens on it and then find an LED box that matches. If you like the light given off by the old bulbs look for a "warm" white LED.

Last edited:

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
pssssst...Mike...post count :wub:

ruh roh! Yep - we've been aware of it. Sorry, my RL has gotten in the way of ECF the last few days. I sent you a PM. Grant us a little slack and I'll get the 'new' Back Porch setup and transitioned to tomorrow morning.

Thanks in advance.

:rules:

Notice folks - watch out Saturday morning (East coast time) for a transition to the 'next' Back Porch Thread.

Thanks Classy - just saw your PM answer that tomorrow morning is OK. :thumb:

I'll have Iffy make it up to you with a big hug. ;)

Reactions: yiddleboge6

MattB101

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2012
Deerfield Beach, FL
I feel like telling a story. Read or skip over as you wish.

Back many years ago, I used to work as a home health aide. I traveled from home to home helping elderly with their daily activities. These were mostly older folks who had just had some type of surgery and were recovering and needed a little help bathing and dressing.

During that time, I was assigned to an older man that I will never forget for as long as I live. When I first met Mr. Bernard, he was 109 years old. I acquired him as a patient because he had fallen and badly bruised a hip, so he was having a little difficulty taking a bath and getting dressed. I was warned ahead of time that he could be cantankerous and quite a handful. I figured at that age, he was entitled.

That little man turned out to be my favorite patient. Oh, he was cantankerous, but he truly enjoyed a good argument, and his mind was as sharp as a tack. I didn't take me long to figure out that he absolutely loved it when I would fuss with him. His typical greeting for me when I arrived was, "Oh, it's YOU again. What you want?" All of this in a heavy Cajun accent because English was not his first language. Our typical routine was for me to take his vital signs, and then I would get him in the bathroom to shave and take a bath. I'll never forget the first time I gave him a bath. We would usually try to get the patient to do as much as possible for themselves. I had washrag in hand and when I got to his bottom, I said, "Do you need me to wash there, or can you do it yourself?" His answer to me, "Oh, that? That died 20 years ago. There's no danger. You can wash it." I couldn't help but laugh.

I took care of that man for roughly two years. During that time we had a lot of conversations about a lot of things and having lived over 100 years, he had a lot of stories to tell, and I learned a lot of history. I never left from his house without a laugh or a smile on my face. The old man was indeed a character, and he claimed that he lived such a long life by always working hard. Only God knows, but he was 113 when he finally passed away.

I guess what brought this on today was the fact that I passed in front of where he used to live. The house has been torn down, and nothing but an empty lot remains, but I could still see it all in my mind as if it were yesterday. I felt that touch of nostalgia that the house was gone, but I still was able to bring forth a deep eternal smile for knowing Mr. Edward Bernard, the old Cajun Farmer with the gruff exterior and the twinkle in his eyes.
That was beautiful.

clnire

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
Florida
I hope everyone else has great plans for the last Monday of the week.

That's like when someone asks me when an order will be ready and I say "second Tuesday of next week". You would be surprised (or not) how many people don't realize what I said. Of course it usually goes out the next day (dog products for those that don't know) but it's fun to catch people not paying attention.

Janet H

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 3, 2011
PA
I have seen the LED's from 40 - 75 watts. I used 4 - 65 watt equivalent interior flood lights in our dining room and it makes it like daylight in there. When I had 4 - 75 watt equivalent CFL bulbs it just made good light.

Thanks. That's very good to know. You know how you hate dry hits? Well that's pretty much how I feel about low lighting unless it's to find my way to the bathroom at night. I did find that you can't go too high with the wattage with the enclosed ceiling lights (incandescent). They get too hot. LEDs don't get hot.... :)

Karen, that's great to know. I always end up with extra biscuits and they're not as good to eat as a biscuit after a day or 2. This would be a great way to use them up.

clnire

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
Florida
I was around helicopter six years before I ever flew in one. I wanted to go flying SO bad!! Finally one afternoon, one of the 407 pilots asked me if I wanted to go for a flight. I was almost like a little kid in school. I wanted to jump up and down. Of COURSE, I wanted to go fly. The first thing he asked me was if I was scared. I just laughed and told him I didn't have enough sense to be scared.

I got to sit up front with the pilot and fly out into the Gulf. I was like country girl come to town. My neck was swiveling all over the place to see everything, and I LOVED it!!
I had a friend in my youth who had a pilots license. One day he took me up in a little Cessna (did I spell that right?). Once we were up he let me fly the plane. Wow, what a rush! Flew over my house, here, there, had a blast! Needless to say he landed the plane ✈

2legsshrt

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Spokane,WA
My knees are just plain shot and really do need replaced, at least in the opinion of two doctors I've seen, two others say not needed just shots and such, two of the doctor that disagree work in the same damn office, you'd think they could get their act together at least. Anyway, due all the confusion I am going to wait until we move to Deerfield Beach and find another ortho guy. Not going to tell him what the other docs said at all and let him work me up without prejudice then see what he he says. Can't get them fixed now anyways or I would never get moved.

I had an MRI the other day and next thing I know I am getting a call from a neurosurgeon and I said wait a minute. I called my new PCP and told her I don't want to have any more surgery, my pain control is just fine. I haven't had to increase it but it's quite a bit anyway but been the same for 8 years plus I told her I am pretty sure I would be a really high risk candidate for it the only surgery I would consider is if I have to have my heart worked on again and that is pretty much a given just how long till I have to do it or if I live long enough to need it again. Guess they found some lumbar vertebrates that are compressing some nerves explains my 4" height loss in the last 8 years but I can live with that.

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
Hey Hazy,

I'm a total disappointment,man. I haven't learn a bit of the info you sent me.
Next year will come and I'll be saying: Feliz Ano Nuevo.

Not all is lost yet. Que bola mi socio.
Very very nice chatting with 'ya.

elby (notice I'm not plain Carlos anymore.)
I'm elby now. Not as good as Hazy though, but it is what it is.

A fellow resident of the Looney Bin baptized me with that name.
I'm somebody now. No poca mier.., but mucha mier..
I think the Native Americans are in the right.
Naming newborns is a mistake. I think a child needs to develop
before acquiring a name. Meantime the can be "son #1, #2. daughter #3 etc.

If I ever father a child again (God forbids) it will be named at drinking age.
I won't be here, but I'll be watching.
He or she will drink fer sure. Hijo de gato.....
I'll let you be for now. we will chat tomorrow, fer sure.

elby

Elby, My parents had three kids, all daughters. Dad who introduce us as hi s#1 daughter, #2 daughter & #3 daughter. Followed by our actual names. Thanks for the memories!

elbakan1

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2014
Cape Coral, Florida.
ruh roh! Yep - we've been aware of it. Sorry, my RL has gotten in the way of ECF the last few days. I sent you a PM. Grant us a little slack and I'll get the 'new' Back Porch setup and transitioned to tomorrow morning.

Thanks in advance.

Notice folks - watch out Saturday morning (East coast time) for a transition to the 'next' Back Porch Thread.

Thanks Classy - just saw your PM answer that tomorrow morning is OK. :thumb:

I'll have Iffy make it up to you with a big hug. ;)

Thank you, Big Hug 4u2.

And please, remember my good friend Iffy, that is never too late to make things right.
Can we prescind of the of the big O this time?. I'll negotiate.
You can enjoy the big O in Part 4. I won't be here for that, but I'll be watchin'. Whatta 'ya say??.

elby

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA

Thanks in advance.

Time to say goodbye to Part 2 of our Back Porch! (waving & watching for part 3!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread