Still smoking support and chat thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vape Suzette

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2011
Everything on this page has been rolling through my head and slipping through the cracks in my brain, drawing me away from work and making me want to communicate to other people who really understand addiction. What is driving me nuts is why I must at all times have my vape with me even if I am vaping 0 mg nicotine. I have the behavior of a chain smoker and I see it in everything I do. If the phone rings, I must have my vape. I carry it with me like Linus carried his security blanket.

Oh, man, the way I used to cough when I lived in the northeast -- you would have thought I was dying from choking to death. I kept on smoking with asthma while on prednisone and antibiotics and codeine cough syrup. Then Xanax and panic attacks ensued from being so sick all the time and took their toll.

As much as I dislike it where we live, I know I am better off here because the air is so dry and much cleaner. I am off my inhalers for the first time in years and years.

Andria, you have me worried about you, considering the heat and humidity levels where you live with chronic asthma. You are still very young. Is it possible to get a dehumidifier and air cleaner set up? I used to dream of living in a dry climate and often wondered if a dehumidifier would help. I guess I should be elated I'm out here ... in Stubbville!!!!! :lol:

I lived in Austin for about a year and coughed myself blue in the face. It wasn't any better in Boston; in fact, it was worse. I am trying to find all sorts of reasons to like it out here, but having a difficult time. I took my husband out to dinner for his birthday and the restaurants here are worse than the food in the UK during the 70s. And the people are really fixated on status because culture didn't exist (and still doesn't), so all they have been taught out here is that if you own your own house in Highlands Ranch and have 2.3 children, you have it made! My background is not blending in with my surroundings. I like being free and owing nothing, and it may sound extremely selfish, but I never wanted kids and neither did my husband -- but we truly like kids. We are still reading Abbie Hoffman after all these years!!! We must have brain damage! I often shudder that we just didn't grow up or something! Alternative lifestyles never described or explained us!!!

When it comes to singing and swimming to alleviate asthma, you couldn't be more accurate. I was on night oxygen after not smoking for two years, and my breathing improved so much on year three that I now am no longer using 2 liters oxygen an hour at night. It scared me into never returning to smoking. It will be four and a half years Oct 13th. I am looking forward to year five!!!

I thought my weight was out of control and was all freaked out until my husband weighed himself and found that he too had mysteriously gained twenty pounds. So when he was at the pharmacy he weighed himself and he was fifteen pounds lighter. We have a dud scale!!! YAY!!! I am sooo HAPPY!!! So I am not as enormous as I thought I was!!! My doctor told me that since I had hernia surgery, my waist would be swollen for several months. I still can barely get my jeans closed, so it's stretch pant city for me for just a while longer, but at least I don't bounce while waddling down the street! We have three flocks of geese that are always waddling and I admire them so much. They are happy, so I am going to take lessons from them.

This is the coolest forum I have ever seen in my life! Am I crazy, or is it just me?

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Andria, you have me worried about you, considering the heat and humidity levels where you live with chronic asthma. You are still very young. Is it possible to get a dehumidifier and air cleaner set up? I used to dream of living in a dry climate and often wondered if a dehumidifier would help. I guess I should be elated I'm out here ... in Stubbville!!!!! :lol:

Don't need one -- central air conditioning is a *requirement for life* in GA -- well, it is for ME. :D I turn it on sometime in April (or even March if we get one of those freak fake-spring days) and it generally stays on the "cool" setting until it's time to switch it over to the "warm" setting -- 'round Halloween-ish. In the early spring and early fall, it's not as much for the cooling effect, as for the dehumidifying effect, because you're right, trying to breathe in this state without AC is like trying to BREATHE JELLO!

And for some very strange reason, though it's only 66 outside right now, it's 76 in here, so I just turned it down to 75 so it would come on. Stuff like that used to drive my husband CRAZY -- he's like "OPEN THE WINDOW!" But I've explained to him over and over, I can't, because it's going to rain today, and it's quite humid outside even if it IS the first of October. After 28 yrs of marriage, I think he's finally starting to get it. :thumb:

But while I smoked? I really didn't have much trouble with my asthma unless I was sick with a cold -- as I said, I refused to take steroids then, because I really didn't need them; my prescribed 8 puffs a day of Ventolin worked just fine.

Since I got on the higher dosage of Advair, I'm seeing excellent response, and I'm able to go much higher on the hill I live on before I have to stop and rest and turn around for the down-hill leg of the walk -- I'm determined, I'm gonna get to the top of the hill by xmas! Only a couple more mailboxes to go! :thumbs: Unfortunately, I think one of the side effects of steroids is compromising the immune system; I've been struggling with some kind of stomach bug for a couple weeks now. :grr:

Andria

Reactions: Vape Suzette

DoloresB

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Good day to all!

Andria and Vape Suzette, I understand what you're talking about when it comes to asthma. I have 2 inhalers (Ventolin and Symbicort) that I use, usually when I get a cold. Haven't needed to use them in a while, thank goodness, but they are here for when I do.

I've updated my equipment--along with my MVP 20w, I now have a Cool Fire 4 (in red), and two Kanger Subtank Minis. I've wicked my first ever coil! Down to 2-3 cigarettes a day, and working hard on getting rid of the smokies entirely.

Does anyone here have any knowledge and experience with the Kayfun v4? I've just ordered 2 clones, and some premade coils (1.0 and 1.3 ohms). Any help and input would be greatly appreciated.

Vape Suzette

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2011
Hi, DoloresB!

Oh, how asthma sucks! I'm glad you haven't needed to use your inhalers much. I still have my two inhalers in a huge drug basket that we refer to as "the basket case".

Wish I knew about the Kayfun v4. All I have been using are some Kanger batteries with cartomisers. I have been meaning to go to the DIY forum so I can concoct my own juice and learn more so I have more options. The technical aspects of vaping elude me! All I have ever really learned about electricity is that it calms me. :lol:

Vape Suzette

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2011
Hi, Andria!

Okay, now I am certain that I am officially and certifiably mentally delayed. The first time I highlighted a quote, I did not think twice about it and it worked beautifully. Now, ever since my husband got curious about this forum, I can't figure it out!!! There must be some way I can blame this on my parents!

Glad you can control the humidity levels. That is something I couldn't do well in Austin or the Northeast, but when we were in Miami I nearly went to the ER it got so bad. Then I was traveling with this band and we wound up in Tallahassee and I lost my voice completely. I found it again after several medical appointments. Darn steroids. They are a miracle drug until they make you (me, not you) nuts!

It's October 1st and 85 degrees here today! I don't do well in heat, not even dry heat. This has been the hottest year in 150 years. Gee, I wonder how much longer we have? :unsure: Well ... have a wonderful day! :lol:

Reactions: DoloresB

josh w

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2015
michigan
This forum is all around awesome. There are soo many good people here that understand what others are going through. I've often thought about "what if" I drop to zero nic. Would I still vape? Would I keep it on standby? Would I stop all together? The more I think about it the more I think I will continue to vape even at zero nic. It still has the calming sensation of an analog and life is just too uncertain to just walk away from it. At least for me, it would be way too easy to go back to full time smoking, and I really don't want to do that. This thread in particular has saved me from going back a few times already, and I have a feeling it will again down the road. :)

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
This forum is all around awesome. There are soo many good people here that understand what others are going through. I've often thought about "what if" I drop to zero nic. Would I still vape? Would I keep it on standby? Would I stop all together? The more I think about it the more I think I will continue to vape even at zero nic. It still has the calming sensation of an analog and life is just too uncertain to just walk away from it. At least for me, it would be way too easy to go back to full time smoking, and I really don't want to do that. This thread in particular has saved me from going back a few times already, and I have a feeling it will again down the road. :)

But even if you had a full-on relapse as I did -- nobody here would throw any rocks at you, we all know how hard it is to get and STAY smoke-free. I didn't know about this thread until I had my relapse last summer, but the folks here helped me so much, with the info that as long as I was still trying, I was NOT a failure -- just not yet a success. :) I think it might have been in this thread too, that I first learned about WTA, which has helped me so much -- a LOT of the credit for me finally being successful is thanks to these lovely folks, and that's mainly why I keep hanging around, even though, finally, I'm no longer "still smoking." If I can help anyone else who's struggling, I count that as a win for the angel's side. :thumb:

Andria

beebopnjazz

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2010
PA

Josh - have you read the original thread? (once a thread gets too big it's closed and a new one is started) Not only is it highly amusing in some places, it's quite informative in others.....and the support is palpable.

DoloresB

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Good day to all! Hope everyone is well.

Well, I took the plunge. My Kayfuns came in today, and after washing and drying them, put in my very first coil (1.3 ohm Kanthal). This things works great!!

P.S. Josh, you're absolutely right--this forum is the greatest :thumbs:

Thayamax

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2013
Southeast Michigan
Josh - have you read the original thread? (once a thread gets too big it's closed and a new one is started) Not only is it highly amusing in some places, it's quite informative in others.....and the support is palpable.

The original thread was amazing and so much fun. It was in that thread that so many of us struggled and supported each other like a close knit family. It was totally the reason I was finally able to quit smoking. The posts flew so fast and furious it was often difficult to keep up. We had a lot of fun, too. For some reason people began falling away after they had managed to quit, but there are still a few of us left. :)

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
The original thread was amazing and so much fun. It was in that thread that so many of us struggled and supported each other like a close knit family. It was totally the reason I was finally able to quit smoking. The posts flew so fast and furious it was often difficult to keep up. We had a lot of fun, too. For some reason people began falling away after they had managed to quit, but there are still a few of us left. :)

That thread must been closed before I ever found y'all. But this one has been TREMENDOUSLY helpful for me! All over the forum, there are so many success stories, it's easy to think "so what's wrong with ME?" In this thread, we can see -- we're very far from the only one to struggle with it!

I may be smoke-free NOW, for about 14 months, but the 2nd time, after my relapse, it was VERY FAR from easy to get that way, and I remember how hopelessly tied to cigarettes I felt then. One thing that helps me now, in fact, is remembering how hard that 2nd time was -- it's so much easier to STAY smoke-free, than try to get back to it when you've lost it -- much the same has applied to being 23yrs sober -- I remember very clearly how hard the first 5 yrs were, and I really don't know if I could ever do it again -- so I just don't drink, 'cuz I don't wanna find out! (And just don't smoke, 'cuz I really doubt I have the intestinal fortitude to do it again!)

Andria

FinallyQuit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2011
SC
Hey everyone! I'm not sure you've heard about the flooding here in SC. I'm not swimming, but conditions are horrible and school/work has been called off 2 days in a row. The sun is out now, and cabin fever has set in. I've actually resorted to cleaning to avoid boredom *gasp* and even done some crafty type things with the girls.

So glad to see the community here on this thread. It's hard to think about what it felt like to struggle daily, but my friends here really get all the credit for kicking me in the pants and patting me on the back as needed. I hope others find even half the peace here that I found!

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Hey everyone! I'm not sure you've heard about the flooding here in SC. I'm not swimming, but conditions are horrible and school/work has been called off 2 days in a row. The sun is out now, and cabin fever has set in. I've actually resorted to cleaning to avoid boredom *gasp* and even done some crafty type things with the girls.

So glad to see the community here on this thread. It's hard to think about what it felt like to struggle daily, but my friends here really get all the credit for kicking me in the pants and patting me on the back as needed. I hope others find even half the peace here that I found!

My thoughts are with y'all; I've been keeping up with the flooding on weatherchannel.com, and my god, it's horrible. Glad you're safe!!!!! We had a lot of rain, but NOTHING like y'all have gotten, and it just breaks my heart to see all that. Hang tough!!

Andria

Thayamax

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2013
Southeast Michigan
Hey, FQ. Glad to know that you're surviving the flooding in your area. It must be awful to be stuck in the house for days, but thankfully you're staying dry.

I struggled to quit smoking for years, trying many times and many methods to no avail. I even tried vaping twice before it finally worked the third time. I believe it finally worked because of all the helpful and understanding people on this thread.

My third attempt began at the beginning of March, 2013. I found this thread in May and read the whole thing. I continued to be a dual user and finally posted in this thread in the middle of June. I received so much support and help from the members of this thread that within 3 week of posting I was able to give up cigarettes completely on July 2, 2013. I know I couldn't have done it without the people here.

How's that for an endorsement? :thumbs:

Vape Suzette

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2011
I was very tempted to have "just one" analog after watching the movie Stranger Than Fiction with Emma Thompson. She is my favorite actor. She plays a writer who smokes maybe three drags off her cig and then spits into a tissue and puts the still lit cig out in her spitty tissue. When her publisher thinks she has writer's block, they send in an assistant and she says to her, "And I suppose you smoked all those cigarettes" and Emma Thompson replies, "No, they came presmoked." In another scene her assistant gives her literature on the nicotine patch and Thompson says, "I don't need the patch because I smoke cigarettes."

There is definitely something in her personality and character that I love just enough to make me want to try it again after being free all this time. I have been shocked that nothing else has set me off like Emma Thompson. I think it may be the sheer defiance in the character she portrays and the eccentric life her character lives.

In the film Wit, Emma Thompson has ovarian cancer, and while I had stage one ovarian cancer, I watched her play that character over and over again. I did it to prepare myself for the worst. I made sure my husband was not around or any friends or family. It was as if I were purging all the fear out of myself before going in for surgery. I did not have any impulse to go back to cigs during that ordeal in my life; probably because I was paralyzed with fear. All I did was sit on the sofa watching film after film, anything to remove myself from the experience.

I find defiance, tenacity and perseverance very attractive when it comes to personality types. I have found a way to preserve my favorite personal characteristics by vaping. It took a while, but I am spending more and more time laughing and having more fun than I have in a long time. My vape is my talisman, and as long as I am wearing it around my neck, I know I am protected.

My husband and I are trying to adopt a healthy applehead Siamese, and our dream looks like it is finally going to happen maybe this weekend! I could not bear the loss of my last kitty and had to take the avatar of her down. We are also going straight to the Humane Society and adopting a worst-case scenario to smother with love and attention. My heart is soaring over the thought of having two badly behaved children running around breaking everything! I am already putting away anything valuable and breakable -- lol!

This is a great group and wonderful thread. And I hope the weather situation clears quickly in South Carolina.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I was very tempted to have "just one" analog after watching the movie Stranger Than Fiction with Emma Thompson. She is my favorite actor. She plays a writer who smokes maybe three drags off her cig and then spits into a tissue and puts the still lit cig out in her spitty tissue. When her publisher thinks she has writer's block, they send in an assistant and she says to her, "And I suppose you smoked all those cigarettes" and Emma Thompson replies, "No, they came presmoked." In another scene her assistant gives her literature on the nicotine patch and Thompson says, "I don't need the patch because I smoke cigarettes."

There is definitely something in her personality and character that I love just enough to make me want to try it again after being free all this time. I have been shocked that nothing else has set me off like Emma Thompson. I think it may be the sheer defiance in the character she portrays and the eccentric life her character lives.

In the film Wit, Emma Thompson has ovarian cancer, and while I had stage one ovarian cancer, I watched her play that character over and over again. I did it to prepare myself for the worst. I made sure my husband was not around or any friends or family. It was as if I were purging all the fear out of myself before going in for surgery. I did not have any impulse to go back to cigs during that ordeal in my life; probably because I was paralyzed with fear. All I did was sit on the sofa watching film after film, anything to remove myself from the experience.

I find defiance, tenacity and perseverance very attractive when it comes to personality types. I have found a way to preserve my favorite personal characteristics by vaping. It took a while, but I am spending more and more time laughing and having more fun than I have in a long time. My vape is my talisman, and as long as I am wearing it around my neck, I know I am protected.

My husband and I are trying to adopt a healthy applehead Siamese, and our dream looks like it is finally going to happen maybe this weekend! I could not bear the loss of my last kitty and had to take the avatar of her down. We are also going straight to the Humane Society and adopting a worst-case scenario to smother with love and attention. My heart is soaring over the thought of having two badly behaved children running around breaking everything! I am already putting away anything valuable and breakable -- lol!

This is a great group and wonderful thread. And I hope the weather situation clears quickly in South Carolina.

If you like defiance, you might enjoy my website: http://angryvaper.crypticsites.com/

I haven't updated it in quite a while, but I'm just getting started on a new article: Long-Term Vaping. How things can change over time in one's approach to vaping... that sort of thing. Kinda nebulous, but I'm trying to get my thoughts in some sort of order. o_O Funny how writing stuff down seems to organize one's thoughts. :D

Andria

Vape Suzette

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2011
Wow! Angry Vaper is AWESOME!!! And I was really mad at that thirdhand smoke BS they dished out some few years back! I mean, I just could NOT believe it! I was already bracing myself for fourth-hand smoke!!! I think they are crazy enough, but come to think of it, WE might be their fourth-hand smoke rant ... us vapers who really are repairing our bodies and they STILL hate us for it -- even some SMOKERS hate us!!!

This is exciting. And yes, how dare we enjoy ourselves! I used to feel the hatred in the room when smoking was still legal in public places. It was palpable hate, too. I would see people literally glaring at me as if I had been convicted of rape. It was really bad to feel so singled out. Now that I have quit, they probably STILL hate me! I think we have hatemongers out there as well as smoking nazis, and boy, oh boy, do we ever have the smoking nazis out here! It's like the Twilight Zone.

I love your site and am thrilled you have sent the link! THANX!

Vape Suzette

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2011
I do not usually double post like this, but I just have not been able to pull myself away from AngryVaper. It is truly brilliant. I just reread the article on the ERS and how they would rather have us die than switch! I can't wait to pass this along to a few more smokers to read. I have been following the WHO for years and years and they are simply the most despicable puddle of slime I have ever encountered. For SHAME!!! It is as unconscionable as putting people in concentration camps. It really is just that evil.

Reactions: AndriaD

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I was playing with the idea of a new template for the site, but everytime I look at the site, I think, dang, I spent a lot of hours customizing THIS template, and everything is pretty much where I want it. So maybe I'll change some colors or something; maybe a deep cobalt instead of purple. But I'm definitely thinking of redesigning the top, making that revolving thing only half-width so I can put those link buttons just under it, over to the left of it, to give them more prominence to search engines.

Anything to procrastinate actually *writing*. :lol: I'd much rather fark around with HTML/CSS than write. :D

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread