Best tobacco for flavor extraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
When I got P&Cs email about the 20% off sale yesterday I headed over and checked my cart where I had left a number of pipe blends that were to be sampled in my next few rounds of extractions. To my dismay most were listed as "backordered". As I navigated to my wish list I again found many of those blends backordered as well. I've been a P&C customer for over 15 years and have never seen so many backordered items....ever. Wonder what's up with that? On a more positive note I did manage to pickup a boatload of cigars. :)

Boxster

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
Buda, Tx
When I got P&Cs email about the 20% off sale yesterday I headed over and checked my cart where I had left a number of pipe blends that were to be sampled in my next few rounds of extractions. To my dismay most were listed as "backordered". As I navigated to my wish list I again found many of those blends backordered as well. I've been a P&C customer for over 15 years and have never seen so many backordered items....ever. Wonder what's up with that? On a more positive note I did manage to pickup a boatload of cigars. :)
This is disturbing. They have been OOS on many blends all summer.
Did you have to go through any kind of age verification?

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
This is disturbing. They have been OOS on many blends all summer.
Did you have to go through any kind of age verification?

Yep, something changed this year I just don't know what. I don't know if it's their suppliers or them.

P&C uses "Veratad" for age verification and has for many years. Veratad is my preferred AVS because they don't store, sell or share personal information (some AVS do) and normally only require a person's name and address (obtained from the vendor's records) to verify age so most people don't even realize they were "verified" for the transaction.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
It's funny that while I haven't actually "smoked" a cigar, pipe or cigarette in over 4 years I now have far more tobacco lying around than I ever did when I smoked. Funnier still is that most is tobacco I -never- would have smoked. Recent "bulk" purchases of cigars and pipe tobacco that will be subject to the FDA's deeming really pushed my on-hand supply over the top, the 20% off sale at P&C didn't help matters either. :lol:

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
Bengal Slices

I have this one coming too from the sale and yeah, I'm getting Out of Stock a lot too. I have yet to be asked for age verification. I guess that they can see me some how and figured there was no need to ask.

ETA: And for some reason I'm not getting notices when this thread gets active even though I'm "Watching" it....harrrummph.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
ETA: And for some reason I'm not getting notices when this thread gets active even though I'm "Watching" it....harrrummph.

Same here. I am guessing it happens when you miss reading one alert. That apparently blocks a new alert from coming up....

Last edited:

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
Hehe.... P&C order hit yesterday.....should keep me busy for a while! :) Now I just need 10 clean jars!
Mine's due in tamale but most are going into a dark box for future:
Escudo Navy De Luxe
1.76 OZ TIN
Samuel Gawith Black XX
1.76 OZ TIN
Cornell & Diehl Exclusive
1 OZ
Peter Stokkebye 2 Whiskey 2oz Bag
2oz BAG
Peter Stokkebye 27 Pistachio 1oz Bag
1oz BAG
Orlik Golden Sliced
1.76 OZ TIN
Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired HH Old Dark Fired Ready-Rubbed
1 OZ
Bengal Slices

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
Hi all! I don't usually have much to say here because I don't DIY very much. I've had a few spells of DIYing that went pear shaped and all that macerated Cuban cigar I made 2 years ago found its way down the slippery slope of juice heaven.

However, I have made the most of the big liquidation sale Diane was having at MyVapeJuice and purchased 4 blowout boxes of the extracts. In the boxes there are pipe tobaccos, cigar tobaccos and teas.

It is a lot of extract, more than I can ever hope to mix and vape.

Any tips, hints, pointers, techniques on how best to mix Diane's extracts to deliver the best flavor and performance would be appreciate.

I am considering mixing the type of extracts in the following ratios:

Pipe tobacco 20%
Cigar tobacco 25%
Teas 25%

Does this sound about right?

One other question I have regards storage. I am going to transfer the extracts from plastic to glass bottles to preserve their lifespan. I am also considering putting them in the fridge as we have summer coming in Australia and it can get quite hot inside my house when I am at work and the air conditioner is not running. My question is, can NET extracts be stored in the freezer without the juice being negatively affected ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Hi AnthonyB, you did score big on Diane's closeout sale, wonderful bargains from a sad event. She was one of the original three online extractors I was familiar with, at least Clay and Randy are still hanging in there. Diane's extracts are cleaner than most but a tad weaker as well so if it were me I'd likely start mixing on the high side, 25% for the pipe tobaccos and 30% for the cigars adjusting from there.

I've been storing extracts at room temperature in airtight glass containers for several years, none have gone bad so far. My extracts are water/moisture free (I'm meticulous about that aspect) and were always stored in opaque (colored) airtight glass containers so conditions that promote oxidation were minimized/managed. Refrigerating them would likely assist in prolonging their lifespan by further slowing oxidation but exposing them to extreme cold (freezer) for long periods of time is untested/unknown. I've considered experimenting with long term cold storage just to find out but haven't yet. I do subject ethanol based extracts to -10F for a couple of days in order to precipitate wax, resin and plant matter out of solution and from what I can tell this short term exposure to extreme cold temperature doesn't seem to have any negative effect on flavor.

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
Hi AnthonyB, you did score big on Diane's closeout sale, wonderful bargains from a sad event. She was one of the original three online extractors I was familiar with, at least Clay and Randy are still hanging in there. Diane's extracts are cleaner than most but a tad weaker as well so if it were me I'd likely start mixing on the high side, 25% for the pipe tobaccos and 30% for the cigars adjusting from there.

I've been storing extracts at room temperature in airtight glass containers for several years, none have gone bad so far. My extracts are water/moisture free (I'm meticulous about that aspect) and were always stored in opaque (colored) airtight glass containers so conditions that promote oxidation were minimized/managed. Refrigerating them would likely assist in prolonging their lifespan by further slowing oxidation but exposing them to extreme cold (freezer) for long periods of time is untested/unknown. I've considered experimenting with long term cold storage just to find out but haven't yet. I do subject ethanol based extracts to -10F for a couple of days in order to precipitate wax, resin and plant matter out of solution and from what I can tell this short term exposure to extreme cold temperature doesn't seem to have any negative effect on flavor.

Great advice there Str8vision. Thank you.

I have recently ordered a lot of 30ml and 50ml boston cobalt blue bottles and amber brown bottles with caps or droppers for the purposes of storing the extracts and also any premixed liquids. I have come to learn that plastic is the enemy to the lifespan of juices.

I am really happy to hear you have stored extracts in the fridge for several years and they are still good. Why do extracts last so much longer than premixed juices when both are composed of PG?VG and flavouring? Does nicotine cause premixed juices to decay quicker?

I have found that my premixed juices which have been stored in the fridge for 3 years are still good but I've never considered that a juice beyond 3 years of age would still retain good enough quality to vape.

aceswired

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
Minnesota

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
I posted this awhile back in the NET thread, but maybe here is a better spot. It's an article on the distillation of tobacco macerations. I've wondered about this. Thoughts?

Full text of "Extraction of "essence" from tobacco stems"

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Good article, thanks. But I am surprised they used stems rather than leaves. Or did I misread the article? One thing they indicate is that alcohol is a better medium than water for extraction. 12 hours is optimal - as originally indicated by str8.

P.S. Wow, this article was written in 1951!! I had no idea they were even thinking of extractions those days. Perhaps for perfumery rather than vaping. Tobacco Absolute was originally developed as an ingredient in perfumes.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnthonyB

Boxster

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
Buda, Tx
Good article, thanks. But I am surprised they used stems rather than leaves. Or did I misread the article?

P.S. Wow, this article was written in 1951!! I had no idea they were even thinking of extractions those days.

My guess is that they were trying to find a use for the stems that are normally discarded.

usr/

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2013
N. Alabama
Good article, thanks. But I am surprised they used stems rather than leaves. Or did I misread the article? One thing they indicate is that alcohol is a better medium than water for extraction. 12 hours is optimal - as originally indicated by str8.

P.S. Wow, this article was written in 1951!! I had no idea they were even thinking of extractions those days. Perhaps for perfumery rather than vaping. Tobacco Absolute was originally developed as an ingredient in perfumes.

Thanks for the link aces. After reading down through the article, if I read and understood correctly, after the distillation/extraction process, a high percentage of nicotine was also extracted.....

Quote:

"The method used to extract the essence from the stems also removed from 84
to 93 percent of the nicotine contained in the stems. Data on removal of
nicotine are included in Table 3.
If the extract is to be used for enhancing smoking tobacco, the additional
nicotine may be objectionable unless only a small percentage of the extract
is required."

Just wondered if a method of super concentrating tobacco extract i.e. reusing a previous pga extract to produce the next batch and the next and the next. Especially if one were super concentrating a N. Rustica type. Just a thought.

The article also stated that the essence produced very favorable aroma's.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
"The method used to extract the essence from the stems also removed from 84
to 93 percent of the nicotine contained in the stems. Data on removal of
nicotine are included in Table 3.

The way I read table 3, nicotine content of the essence varies from 1.92% to 7.14 % depending on the tobacco. They do not indicate which method of extraction for those numbers, but if it is alcohol, an average 5% of essence in the final mix will add .03% nicotine at the most.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread