Please explain to me: those who died, what were they vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
Hi,
I apologize in advance if this is a question that has been discussed a lot, but the problem is that what I’ve read doesn’t seem to make sense: We know from experience that vaping PG/VG based juices are safe to vape, so I don’t wanna talk about that. However, when I read (in articles as well as here in the forum) that they have been vaping THC , I have to say that this kind of stuff has been consumed in vaporized form for quite a while now, probably since before people started vaping PG/VG. So it doesn’t make sense to me that all of sudden, vaping THC is killing people.
Do we have an explanation for these cases that actually makes sense?

• Agree
Reactions: Izan

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Hi,
I apologize in advance if this is a question that has been discussed a lot, but the problem is that what I’ve read doesn’t seem to make sense: We know from experience that vaping PG/VG based juices are safe to vape, so I don’t wanna talk about that. However, when I read (in articles as well as here in the forum) that they have been vaping THC , I have to say that this kind of stuff has been consumed in vaporized form for quite a while now, probably since before people started vaping PG/VG. So it doesn’t make sense to me that all of sudden, vaping THC is killing people.
Do we have an explanation for these cases that actually makes sense?

Vitamin e acetate was introduced to the THC US market late last year as a cutting agent. The recent events have shown high levels of this cutting agent was used in THC cartridges.

Cooperant

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2018
I didn't know vaping THC in the way we vape juice was that common in the US. Here when people refer to vaping weed, they're often referring to a dry herb vaporiser or a dab stick.

All I figured when I heard it is that you probably need to know what you're doing when making funny juice. At home, I know of a few ways to get the THC out of the weed, but they all involve either butter or oil.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
who died when of what appears to be information that is not being given out by the CDC. Instead we’re getting vague generalizations with information critical of e-cigarettes being loudly trumpeted and information supporting e-cigarettes being added as footnotes and changes in sentences later without announcements of changes in stance no matter how much they change the actuality of previous statements.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
who died when of what appears to be information that is not being given out by the CDC. Instead we’re getting vague generalizations with information critical of e-cigarettes being loudly trumpeted and information supporting e-cigarettes being added as footnotes and changes in sentences later without announcements of changes in stance no matter how much they change the actuality of previous statements.

Really .. ??
CDC cut and paste ..

CDC‏Verified account @CDCgov Oct 11
To date, national and state data suggest that products containing THC are linked to most of the cases and play a major role in the outbreak. CDC recommends that people not use e-cigarette, or vaping, products that contain THC.

CDC (@CDCgov) | Twitter

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Really .. ??
CDC cut and paste ..

CDC‏Verified account @CDCgov Oct 11
To date, national and state data suggest that products containing THC are linked to most of the cases and play a major role in the outbreak. CDC recommends that people not use e-cigarette, or vaping, products that contain THC.

CDC (@CDCgov) | Twitter
Yep. That. Exactly.

A very different statement in content than was made earlier yet appears as only as a change in the website. The only way to know it even happened is to read and reread the site as it is updated, which few people have time for.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Yep. That. Exactly.

A very different statement in content than was made earlier yet appears as only as a change in the website. The only way to know it even happened is to read and reread the site as it is updated, which few people have time for.

I'd at least give the CDC time to get their info in order ..

Subscribing to the CDC feed is easy enough and gets you the updates ..

Reactions: Anise

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I'd at least give the CDC time to get their info in order ..

Subscribing to the CDC feed is easy enough and gets you the updates ..
I agree generally. as to the CDC feed, sure, but how many people actually do it?

The problem is legislation was put in place in several states and whole nations in some cases based on the previous statement, and that legislation is going to destroy and alter basic infrastructure before the CDC finishes what it is doing.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
I didn't know vaping THC in the way we vape juice was that common in the US. Here when people refer to vaping weed, they're often referring to a dry herb vaporiser or a dab stick.
Yes, I was referring to vaporizing dry material. That has been done since the 90’s at least, that’s what confused me (why all of a sudden are people dying from it).
So what you’re saying is, that nowadays they are vaping a special juice which contains THC? And are these products even legal, or sold on the black market, and we don’t even know what exactly is in these juices?

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Yes, I was referring to vaporizing dry material. That has been done since the 90’s at least, that’s what confused me (why all of a sudden are people dying from it).
So what you’re saying is, that nowadays they are vaping a special juice which contains THC? And are these products even legal, or sold on the black market, and we don’t even know what exactly is in these juices?
Yes they are buying black market cartridges/pods that contain THC and vitamin E oil as a thickening agent. The oil has been identified and we all know you cannot vape oil.......other ingredients may be present but this is all that has been told to media.

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
I agree generally. as to the CDC feed, sure, but how many people actually do it?

The problem is legislation was put in place in several states and whole nations in some cases based on the previous statement, and that legislation is going to destroy and alter basic infrastructure before the CDC finishes what it is doing.

In order to properly prognosticate, keeping up with the latest info is essential .. those unwilling to do so are not an informed Citizenry and abide by "old News" .. which, in many cases, can bolster their own agendas ..

As far as the knee jerk State reactions, people died .. what else would you have expected and what alternatives would you have considered had you been in a Legislative position .. ??

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011

My new Cut and Paste Post ::

I don't know about nic pod sickness issues .. what I do know is, the Underground Market in the USA for high strength THC pods .. up to 1000mg .. people are using the availability of these pods no different than when coke was distilled down to crack .. they want it, they seek it out and they like it .. it's just simple as that ::

Wisconsin brothers accused of running illegal THC vape cartridge 'empire'

I don't think China has anything to do with it other than making the pods themselves .. what this whole issue needs to be named is another Drug on top of the other Drugs .. the more and more easy availability of weed has morphed just like coke did in in the mid-80's ..

And the Vape Pen has become the delivery system ..

You want the straight skinny on the issue .. ?? Take a minute ::

Is Vaping Really Killing People? Here are the Facts

CDC: Most Vape Illness Patients Used Unregulated THC Products | Ganjapreneur

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA

All I figured when I heard it is that you probably need to know what you're doing when making funny juice. At home, I know of a few ways to get the THC out of the weed, but they all involve either butter or oil.
It appears to be growing.

• Agree

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
In order to properly prognosticate, keeping up with the latest info is essential .. those unwilling to do so are not an informed Citizenry and abide by "old News" .. which, in many cases, can bolster their own agendas ..

As far as the knee jerk State reactions, people died .. what else would you have expected and what alternatives would you have considered had you been in a Legislative position .. ??
While I agree with the sentiment, the problem is the same one seen with many utopian concepts. It assumes perfect instant action at least at some point. These perfect action points are in practice impossible.
All of the lawmaking behaviors were very very fast. Too fast for information gathering to catch up.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
It's my understanding that high levels of pesticides were found in the back street stuff. Not a properly processed THC source and one of these pesticides creates HCN (Hydrogen cyanide) when heated.
I think we are all forgetting that nicotine is also considered a poison/pesticide. So who's to say whether or not its the nicotine they may be referring to? Needs a little more definition as to exactly which type of pesticide they are referring to.
jmho

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I think we are all forgetting that nicotine is also considered a poison/pesticide. So who's to say whether or not its the nicotine they may be referring to? Needs a little more definition as to exactly which type of pesticide they are referring to.
jmho
Iirc the exact pesticide was named in the original article. It was not nicotine.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland

I’ve read these two articles, and what’s noteworthy is that the CDC doesn’t know what causes this illness. Like in Wisconsin, they think it’s because of THC pods, but only 77% of the victims have used THC pods. What about the other 23%? Also, in NYC they think the culprit is vitamin e oil, but not all of the pods used by the victims contained a lot of that oil.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
jmho
The list of pesticides found from the testing lab are in this news article, give the video a watch and then there is an embeded document further down the page.
Tests show bootleg marijuana vapes tainted with hydrogen cyanide

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
So what you’re saying is, that nowadays they are vaping a special juice which contains THC? And are these products even legal, or sold on the black market, and we don’t even know what exactly is in these juices
Yes, but that "special juice" generally doesn't contain any PG or VG. I'm not sure why, but those seem to be considered undesirable by the THC crowd.

As for legality, it's a gray area. MJ/THC is still illegal at the federal level, but a number of states have legalized it for recreational use, and even more for medical use, while the federal government has taken a "hands off" approach to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread