Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
Well I went through about 8 pages of posts today. I doubt I'll make it all the way. What are most of you using for single coil builds? I don't want to vape at 40 watts on the radius but I'm wanting to try some 70/30 liquids VG/PG. Right now I'm using 28 G SS putting out .82 ohms at 15 watts.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Well I went through about 8 pages of posts today. I doubt I'll make it all the way. What are most of you using for single coil builds? I don't want to vape at 40 watts on the radius but I'm wanting to try some 70/30 liquids VG/PG. Right now I'm using 28 G SS putting out .82 ohms at 15 watts.
You can build it the same way you build your KM3. Will work just the same.

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Your fix worked. Thanks.
I have no way to verify but I think after awhile the juice inside the tank works its way to the air hole and that's when you get a bit of leakage. A good clean/dry and you're back in business for awhile. Should probably be cleaning these tanks more often anyway.

Ca Ike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2014
Cali
I have no way to verify but I think after awhile the juice inside the tank works its way to the air hole and that's when you get a bit of leakage. A good clean/dry and you're back in business for awhile. Should probably be cleaning these tanks more often anyway.

Your partly right bronze. More than likely it's condensation though and not juice. That vapor you see come out of the air holes after a puff is the culprit if everything else on the tank is good.

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
Your partly right bronze. More than likely it's condensation though and not juice. That vapor you see come out of the air holes after a puff is the culprit if everything else on the tank is good.

In my case it's juice. Removing the 510 screw and cover exposed juice inside which leaked and collected on radius beauty ring.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
CA, that is also a very good possibility. I almost added that to my initial reply. In my case it was juice because it was colored like my juice. However, I would not be surprised if condensation played a significant role in leakage. It may start as condensation which acts like a magnet for the juice. Once a "wet" path is established to the air hole below the coil it's like the flood gates open for the juice. It's like a stream of water running down the side of something. It eventually stops but if it encounters another tributary along the way then it turns into a gusher.

MKBarca

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2014
Northern Ireland
I've been experimenting with a few builds lately, but came to my senses and returned to normal. 9 wraps 28 guage, around a 2.25mm drill bit. Brings me out to my magical 1.4 ohms fired at 11.4 watts on a Radius. Just perfect. It was th first build I ever successfully achieved on a Kayfun years ago, and just continues to work and satisfy.

As a wise person once said, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it.' True, that.

jpasint

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Coconut Creek, Florida
Totally agree regarding condensation but that always seems to be clear and easily distinguished from ejuice.

I have studied and experimented with the K5 to the end of the earth and I have concluded that ejuice can only end up sleeping through the air holes via traveling down the main air hole of the center post.

This asummes the o-rings are in good shape and functioning as they are supposed to.
The issue as I have experienced seems to be that the K5 simply wicks too well for low wattage vaping since after a few refills the wick gets over saturated and begins to drip down the center post.
Seems that by filling the tank, more and more juice than normal ends up in the juice wells after each refill and then it is just a matter of time before the seepage starts.

Usually it begins for me after the 3rd or 4th refill. By the 5th refill ejuice can be clearly seen through the air flow intake slots.

I have semi proven this theory (to myself anyway) by intentionally using too little cotton to the point where I'd get dry hits occasionally. There was never any seepage even after multiple refills during that test.

Two tests I have in mind to try:

1. Plug one of the juice holes in each side of the juice wells.

2. Make a big azz wide coil that I can vape at about 25 or 30 watts.
Perhaps a coil that extends way past the center post on both sides might be worth a test too for a low wattage vape.

Just telling my experience here and not scientific of course.
I keep trying to figure this out because I love the ease of use/cleaning of it and the quality is just so nice. Plus, I have 6 of them!
3 opened and 3 still sealed in their boxes.

My everyday usage tanks will continue to be my K4s and Erlks untill I figure out the K5 seepage issue.

Mada

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2014
Egypt
To double check your conclusion, why not open the JFC a half turn or one turn maximum. This is supposed to eliminate the source of the issue.
I have two KF5s in the drawer now because of the unexpected leakage. I always use my KF4, KF v3, FEV v4, Kabuki and Rose v3 without a single leakage or dry hit.

Ca Ike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2014
Cali
One mistake I see people making is assuming its juice because it's colored. I've found that high vg on a fresh wick leaves clear condensation. The older the wick and coil the darker the condensation below the coil gets. I've also found gunk off the coil in my center pin from popping that can also color the condensation.

Another thing I found can cause seeping is the top cap oring being too thick. If you have to press to get the threads to engage then you at adding additional pressure in the tank that doesn't necessarily flood the coil but pushes just enough extra juice to cause it to overfill the deck getting in the center pin when you tip your mod to take. Puff.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
One mistake I see people making is assuming its juice because it's colored. I've found that high vg on a fresh wick leaves clear condensation. The older the wick and coil the darker the condensation below the coil gets. I've also found gunk off the coil in my center pin from popping that can also color the condensation.

Another thing I found can cause seeping is the top cap oring being too thick. If you have to press to get the threads to engage then you at adding additional pressure in the tank that doesn't necessarily flood the coil but pushes just enough extra juice to cause it to overfill the deck getting in the center pin when you tip your mod to take. Puff.
The leakage from the airway is not only colored but has the viscosity and texture of e-liquid. It has that oily feel that water/condensation does not. Again, I would not be surprised if it is a combo of condensation and e-liquid.

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
K5 arrived this morning and I have to say I'm enjoying it a bit more than the K3. It looks great on the Radius and I'm getting a nice MTL hit on the second air flow setting. I doubt I'll use the steel tank unless I break the glass of course. All in all it's worth $119.00.

Tomasius74

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2016
K5 arrived this morning and I have to say I'm enjoying it a bit more than the K3. It looks great on the Radius and I'm getting a nice MTL hit on the second air flow setting. I doubt I'll use the steel tank unless I break the glass of course. All in all it's worth $119.00.

K5 has been my go to atty. Love also de K3 but I believe I get a better vape from the K5. Not that I have much experience since I started vaping last year but having compared the Kayfun 5 with the Kabuki (that I do love), the Hurricane 1.3 which plastic tank cracked and with the Squape E that was tested today, I believe that the best vape comes from the Kayfun 5 Edit: I have to play more with the Squape E

Maybe I'm getting more flavor from the Squape E but not far from the Kayfuns and something I really love about the K5 is that "smooth - silent - turbulence free - moist" vape it gives.

I do think it is worth its price and the fact that it comes with the steel tank gives me some peace of mind.

Last edited:

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
K5 has been my go to atty. Love also de K3 but I believe I get a better vape from the K5. Not that I have much experience since I started vaping last year but having compared the Kayfun 5 with the Kabuki (that I do love), the Hurricane 1.3 which plastic tank cracked and with the Squape E that was tested today, I believe that the best vape comes from the Kayfun 5 Edit: I have to play more with the Squape E

Maybe I'm getting more flavor from the Squape E but not far from the Kayfuns and something I really love about the K5 is that "smooth - silent - turbulence free - moist" vape it gives.

I do think it is worth its price and the fact that it comes with the steel tank gives me some peace of mind.
The K5 is the smoothest and quietest atty I have ever used.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I finally lucked out. Origin Vapes has sold out of the K5. I must have received on the few he had remaining in stock. :)
Once in awhile things go right....like a broken clock. :)

Origin claims the new Euro capacity K5 is coming out soon. Anxious to see that.

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
Once in awhile things go right....like a broken clock. :)

Origin claims the new Euro capacity K5 is coming out soon. Anxious to see that.

That would be a 2 ml? I have a broken clock which works twice a day. I can't figure out why. :)

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
That would be a 2 ml? I have a broken clock which works twice a day. I can't figure out why. :)
Yes, 2mls. Keep in mind Steam Tuners sells a nano kit for the K5 which reduces capacity to 2.3mls. And I believe the nano kit is even shorter than the Euro version that is coming out...by quite a bit. I want to compare the two when the new K5 specs are released.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread