Best tobacco for flavor extraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
I enjoy mixing 1-2% into my VaPer NETs for a dark smoky bite. Currently vaping a 4% H&H "Louisiana Red", 3% Acid "Blondie", 2% Tsuge "Ryujin" hybrid flavored with 1% Lotus "Caramel", 6% FW "Candy Caramel", 2% TFA "Vanilla swirl", 0.6% TFA "AP" and 0.7% TFA "Sweetener". My version of a RY4.

happy valley

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2016
Up on Bear Mountain
Sounds delightful Str8, I'm going to make a note of that flavor scheme and refer back to it. I'm currently vaping a store bought RY4 and, this version at least, leaves more than a little to be desired.
I think our flavor preferences follow a similar bent, matter of fact I used a list of hybrid flavoring preferences you knocked out upthread....let me look...post #921....as a rough guide in placing an order of 30 or so eliquid flavoring last week. Came in yesterday, just getting my feet wet here but my initial order leans towards the vanillas, cherries, bavarian, caramel, and tree nuts. Gotta love how those packages smell when they arrive ;-)

Last edited:

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
I enjoy mixing 1-2% into my VaPer NETs for a dark smoky bite. Currently vaping a 4% H&H "Louisiana Red", 3% Acid "Blondie", 2% Tsuge "Ryujin" hybrid flavored with 1% Lotus "Caramel", 6% FW "Candy Caramel", 2% TFA "Vanilla swirl", 0.6% TFA "AP" and 0.7% TFA "Sweetener". My version of a RY4.

Ok, you win! I could never tell what I was smoking with that many flavors. I'm lucky if I smoke a single extract longer than a few hours and taste anything, lol! :pop:

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014

In the days before my NET ventures, mixing blends such as yours was great fun; some of them were wonderful ADV.

Nowdays, I just enjoy the simplicity of straight NET. My wife, on the other hand, enjoys some additional flavors thrown in the mix; usually leaning towards the RY4 spectrum. She loves her sweet Virginia NET blends though.

Once I get burned out on the straight NETs, hybrids will come again to my repertoire.

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
My favorite hybrid-NET is vanilla tobacco. This hybrid is made using a blend of Lotus "Vanilla", diyflavorshack "Holy Vanilla" and TFA "Vanilla Swirl". Unfortunately, I lose the ability to taste vanilla after a single tankful so my favorite hybrid is only enjoyed as an occasional treat. My second favorite hybrid (My ADV) is a Caramel Cream Tobacco. It's made using a blend of Lotus "Caramel", FW "Candy Caramel", TFA "Vanilla Swirl" and TFA "Bavarian Cream". I mix a wide variety of Hybrids but mostly just for a change of pace, something different. I tire of most after just a tank or two.

If you wouldn't mind sharing, what % of each do you use to make your blends?

Reactions: checkum

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
All of my hybrids are tobacco forward. Actual percentages for secondary flavorings really depends on the tobacco in play and I have several different variations for Vanilla and Caramel tobaccos but in general start here and adjust to taste;

Vanilla tobacco
  • 7 to 10% - Reduced ethanol based Tobacco extract
  • 6% - DIYflavorshack "Holy Vanilla"
  • 3% - TFA "Vanilla Swirl"
  • 1% - Lotus "Vanilla"
  • 0.6% - TFA "Sweetener" (optional)

Caramel Cream Tobacco
  • 6.5% - FW "Candy Caramel"
  • 2% - TFA "Vanilla Swirl"
  • 2% - TFA -or- FW "Bavarian Cream"
  • 1% - Lotus "Caramel"

Double Caramel Tobacco
  • 6% - FW "Candy Caramel"
  • 2% - TFA "Caramel Original"
  • 1% - Lotus "Caramel"
  • 1% - FW "Butterscotch"

RY4
  • 5% - FW "Candy Caramel"
  • 3% - DIYflavorshack "Holy Vanilla" or TFA "Vanilla Swirl"
  • 1% - Lotus "Caramel"
  • 1% - Lotus "Vanilla"
  • 0.6% - TFA "AP"

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
All of my hybrids are tobacco forward. Actual percentages for secondary flavorings really depends on the tobacco in play and I have several different variations for Vanilla and Caramel tobaccos but in general start here and adjust to taste;

Vanilla tobacco
  • 6% - DIYflavorshack "Holy Vanilla"
  • 3% - TFA "Vanilla Swirl"
  • 1% - Lotus "Vanilla"

Caramel Cream Tobacco
  • 6.5% - FW "Candy Caramel"
  • 2% - TFA "Vanilla Swirl"
  • 2% - TFA -or- FW "Bavarian Cream"
  • 1% - Lotus "Caramel"

Double Caramel Tobacco
  • 6% - FW "Candy Caramel"
  • 2% - TFA "Caramel Original"
  • 1% - Lotus "Caramel"
  • 1% - FW "Butterscotch"

RY4
  • 5% - FW "Candy Caramel"
  • 3% - DIYflavorshack "Holy Vanilla" or TFA "Vanilla Swirl"
  • 1% - Lotus "Caramel"
  • 1% - Lotus "Vanilla"
  • 0.6% - TFA "AP"
Thank you.

Is the Lotus is "straight, undiluted"?

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Thank you.

Is the Lotus is "straight, undiluted"?

Lotus flavorings are highly concentrated and rather expensive, I don't dilute them for mixing but instead use them as they come. Their vanilla and caramel are true to life flavorings but very smooth and subtle making them ideal for background (secondary) flavorings. Their "Blueberry" is the best tasting blueberry I've found and unlike their vanilla and caramel it's a vibrant flavor but it's so concentrated I use it at just 0.5%. In its concentrated form it smells absolutely "terrible" but once mixed (diluted) it smells and tastes like blueberries.

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
Lotus flavorings are highly concentrated and rather expensive, I don't dilute them for mixing but instead use them as they come. Their vanilla and caramel are true to life flavorings but very smooth and subtle making them ideal for background (secondary) flavorings. Their "Blueberry" is the best tasting blueberry I've found and unlike their vanilla and caramel it's a vibrant flavor but it's so concentrated I use it at just 0.5%. In its concentrated form it smells absolutely "terrible" but once mixed (diluted) it smells and tastes like blueberries.
Thanks again!

Reactions: Str8vision

Adam harris

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2015
North Carolina
Ok, you win! I could never tell what I was smoking with that many flavors. I'm lucky if I smoke a single extract longer than a few hours and taste anything, lol! :pop:

You get vapors tongue from nets faster than from synthetic??

I'm curious because I'm thinking of trying a few nets also.

Adam harris

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2015
North Carolina
I bounce back and forth between net and synthetics. Always have both in the rotation but tend to favor one vs. the other. Not many hybrids though.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Hey I enjoy lots of synthetic tobacco like inawera am4a, SC old captain, Hangsen desert ship, darker tobacco..

The mildest tobacco that I enjoy is am4a..idk if thats mild or not but I wouldn't want to go milder than that.

I do enjoy ry4 type tobacco.

I do not enjoy 555 type tobacco or tab/highway type tobacco.

Inawera vanilla for pipe for example is to mild for my tastes...YUCK!

What tobacco would you reccomend for me to make a NET?
I'm not looking for a spicy,floral,fruity,cherry tobacco

but I do enjoy nuances like stone fruit,smokiness,cocoa,grassy,dark,leathery,
Something that kind of taste like hangsen desert ship would be good...

Boxster

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
Buda, Tx
Hey I enjoy lots of synthetic tobacco like inawera am4a, SC old captain, Hangsen desert ship, darker tobacco..

The mildest tobacco that I enjoy is am4a..idk if thats mild or not but I wouldn't want to go milder than that.

I do enjoy ry4 type tobacco.

I do not enjoy 555 type tobacco or tab/highway type tobacco.

Inawera vanilla for pipe for example is to mild for my tastes...YUCK!

What tobacco would you reccomend for me to make a NET?
I'm not looking for a spicy,floral,fruity,cherry tobacco

but I do enjoy nuances like stone fruit,smokiness,cocoa,grassy,dark,leathery,
Something that kind of taste like hangsen desert ship would be good...

Desert Ship is inspired by Camel cigarettes.
You might like a Virginia/Turkish blend like :
Save on Peter Stokkebye 84 Turkish - Pipes and Cigars

For something darker and smokey try a English blend like:
Dunhill's Best Seller, Nightcap - Pipes and Cigars

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
Ok thanks. Do you have any recommendations.

I do not do synthetics as they contain PG, which I'm allergic to.
As to Perique I extract my own juice the the last perique I did was a tobacco from Cornell & Diehl called "long cut perique" 1 oz for around $3.80. I was pretty good so was a Louisiana perique tobacco from SmokingPipes.com

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
Ok thanks. Do you have any recommendations.
Some here (including myself) have extracted the American Spirit Perique (black box) cigarette tobacco with good results. It's the only Perique I've made (thus far) but it's one of my favorites. I'm vaping it now :vapor:with a little added vanilla.

At some point I'll try some other Perique's but with only so much time, and limited space in the crock pot, I tend to re-make the ones I know I like and only add 3-4 new ones per cooking batch.

I'm in the process of filtering 6 that I cooked 2 weeks ago (there's that time thing again :(). 2 favorites and 4 new. Next weekend I'll mix and then put them in the cupboard for 2 months. I did make enough of the "favorites" to make bigger batches this time.

Does anyone know if the bottle size (4oz vs 8oz, etc.) makes a difference in the steep time?

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
Some here (including myself) have extracted the American Spirit Perique (black box) cigarette tobacco with good results. It's the only Perique I've made (thus far) but it's one of my favorites. I'm vaping it now :vapor:with a little added vanilla.

At some point I'll try some other Perique's but with only so much time, and limited space in the crock pot, I tend to re-make the ones I know I like and only add 3-4 new ones per cooking batch.

I'm in the process of filtering 6 that I cooked 2 weeks ago (there's that time thing again :(). 2 favorites and 4 new. Next weekend I'll mix and then put them in the cupboard for 2 months. I did make enough of the "favorites" to make bigger batches this time.

Does anyone know if the bottle size (4oz vs 8oz, etc.) makes a difference in the steep time?

I found out from friends and trial and error the best steeping method is to try the extract/liquid periodically. When YOU like the taste, that is the time to go for the gold, so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread