Austin
Weekend lineup

1-fridayfilter.jpg

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Any of y'all have experience/suggestions for the dark-fired?

I extracted P&Cs Dark Fired Kentucky blending tobacco a couple of years ago. I can't recall the specific flavor notes well enough to describe them, I do remember it was pretty strong/robust but didn't interest me enough to pursue it further. Blenders often pair it with sweet and bright Virginia tobaccos to add depth/body.

Reactions: 67Tele

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
Any of y'all have experience/suggestions for the dark-fired?

I just completed a filter on a P.S. Dark Fired Kentucky 314. :)

Slightly sweet and definitely smokey. Who knows what wood they used during the curing process, but I can certainly tell there were wood logs of some type set ablaze in the barn.

ADV? Well, it is a tad bit on the one dimensional side of things for me. However, I’m working through my first 30ml bottle at the moment... we shall see. ;)

Last edited:

yourgurnard

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
London
I know for a fact my ability to taste Latakia has seriously diminished, I'm desensitized to its smokey, pungent flavor.
This is encouraging.....I thought that maybe My Lati extract was losing its flavour over time!!
My son-in-law is soon gonna knock up some more 'moonshine' so I'll be trying Latakia in Ethanol for the 1st time!

PeterRamish

Account closed on request
Jun 17, 2017
California, USA
My son-in-law is soon gonna knock up some more 'moonshine' so I'll be trying Latakia in Ethanol for the 1st time!

I have seen several references to using the foreshots or heads from a moonshine still. As your son-in-law can tell you, if he is an experienced operator of the still, the reason they are tossed out is two fold: One is that the are foul tasting and smelling because of the low temperature volatiles they contain, and the other reason is that they are poisonous. The foreshots consist mostly of volatile compounds, such as methanol, acetaldehyde (ethanal), some of the ethyl esters such as ethyl acetate and volatile sulphur compounds, acetone, various esters and aldehydes, and other volitiles.

If you think you are getting pure ethyl alcohol, you are sadly mistaken. There are many good references on the web explaining the chemistry involved, for example this one.

There are also a number of sellers on the web that can supply you with USP 99.5 pure ethyl alcohol. You would be recommended to use one of these or these

Last edited:

yourgurnard

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
London
Thanks for the links Peter, but I live in the UK, where Our Glorious Leaders Nanny Us even more than Yours do!! ie. We can't buy Ethanol.
Luckily, My Polish Son-in-Law is putting out some very more-ish 'Bemberek' from His home still!....the problem is remembering not to drink it all so I can use a bit for 'baccy extraction!

LilWhiteClouder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2015
Raleigh, NC
johni recommended a few to me that turned out well.
Louisiana Red already listed
Peter Stokkebye 80 (not sweet to me)
From johni
Virginia Spice
Danish Burley

cigarette type
American Spirit Organic (I've extracted in both pg and vg)

Quick question Paul, before I get lost in this thread, how did your American Spirit extractions go and what sorta flavors did you get?

Reactions: 67Tele

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
Quick question Paul, before I get lost in this thread, how did your American Spirit extractions go and what sorta flavors did you get?

I'm not Paul but, I've extracted AS Blue, Perique, and Natural. They all turned out to be among my favorites. Note though that they took almost a year to reach full maturity. The Natural while still young had a wonderful earthy/soil taste which I liked a lot. It tended to recede as it got older. The Perique and Blue are full and flavorful and dense.

Cold extraction in 100% PG for 12 weeks. Three stage filter. Mixed at 25% in 70 PG/30 VG with 12mg nic.

Brad P

Verified Member
Jan 27, 2014
S.F. bay area, Californa
how did your American Spirit extractions go and what sorta flavors did you get?

I'm not Paul either but, I recently did a heated ethanol extraction of American Spirit - Organic. It turned out to be a very nice, smooth, tobacco flavor. More of a cigarette tasting tobacco than a pipe tobacco. Works well for me as an all day vape. I would recomend trying it. Hope that may help you!

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA

I'm not Paul but, I've extracted AS Blue, Perique, and Natural. They all turned out to be among my favorites.......

I'm not Paul either but, I recently did a heated ethanol extraction of American Spirit - Organic. It turned out to be a very nice, smooth, tobacco flavor. More of a cigarette tasting tobacco than a pipe tobacco. Works well for me as an all day vape. I would recomend trying it. Hope that may help you!

I've extracted the AS Perique and it turned out to be a moderately robust VaPer, great taste IMO. Many people have reported good results when extracting flavor from American Spirit tobaccos and I agree with Brad P, comes across more like a cigarette flavor than a pipe tobacco.

Brad P

Verified Member
Jan 27, 2014
S.F. bay area, Californa
I started putting items into my shopping cart at Pipes & Cigars about a week ago. First on my list was the "Match Elizabethan" since I got a notice that it was back in stock. I went back the next day to finish up and place the order, and it was already 'out-of-stock'. We'll try again next time.
Here is what I ordered...
  • Peter Stokkebye --------------------------------------- 84 Turkish
  • C & D ------------------------------------------------------ Oriental Silk
  • D & R ------------------------------------------------------ Ramback- Balkan (Nostradadus recomendation)
  • H & H ------------------------------------------------------ Anniversary Kake
  • Sutliff ------------------------------------------------------- Voodoo Queen (my second batch)
  • H & H ------------------------------------------------------ Louisana Red (my second batch)
  • C & D ------------------------------------------------------ Old Joe Krantz
  • Peter Stokkebye ----------------------------------------- Luxury Twist Flake
I was really impressed with the Luxury flake! Beautifully pressed tobacco! Almost in the aromatic catagory, with nose hints of chocloate, coconut, vanillia.... I don't know. Anxious to see how this one works. I don't think I have tried extracting any of the flavored or cased tobaccos before.
I have already started extracts of the Luxury Twist Flakes and the Ramback- Balkan. I will give my impressions on these when they become available

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this link! It has helped to guide me into choosing tobaccos that seem to fit my flavor profile. You have all helped to save me time and valuable resources! (money) ;)

BrentMydland

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2014
SE US
I'm not Paul but, I've extracted AS Blue, Perique, and Natural.

Note though that they took almost a year to reach full maturity.

Cold extraction in 100% PG for 12 weeks. Three stage filter. Mixed at 25% in 70 PG/30 VG with 12mg nic.

Where do the other 42 weeks come in? Did you steep the resulting ejuice that long after making the extract and filtering?

Sorry if that's a stupid question I'm just a bit confused.

Reactions: Str8vision

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
Where do the other 42 weeks come in? Did you steep the resulting ejuice that long after making the extract and filtering?

Sorry if that's a stupid question I'm just a bit confused.

Yep. Sitting in the kitchen cabinet. It took me a little while to realize that I need to plan ahead, way ahead. I also started trying to assist the process by heating after mixing by letting them soak in a rice cooker at 100 deg or so for several hours before putting them up to finish.

LilWhiteClouder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2015
Raleigh, NC
@67Tele @Brad P @Str8vision
Really appreciate the responses! I've been glued to this thread and only gotten through page 14 so far. Very interesting!! And great to see you guys are still experimenting over a year later:)
I asked about AS as that was a purchase I made when I first got wind of this process. I actually jumped in before really researching and took a 120 mL bottle and filled it about 1/3 with the royal blue AS (said to be Virginia and burley blend) and the rest Pg. it sat for about 7 weeks before I coffee filter filtered a bit and mixed ~20% of a 10mL bottle into VG. (I have been strictly DIY for ejuice for over a year).
The initial taste was off putting to me. But, I have found some juices are an acquired taste so I vaped it further. I then started noticing flavors within the vapor. Strong nuttiness with hints of what I can only describe as tea/hay flavors. But I actually started enjoying it! Then I started into this thread and realized these are to be expected in some cases and especially to NET newbs.
I was never a tobacco connoisseur, just smoked cigs for the Nic. Smoked the occasional cigar and loved the smell of pipe tobacco. I am excited to NET! I've had an account with P&C for a couple of years and just ordered a few tins:
Daughters & Ryan - Ramback
Cult - Abucus
Newminster - #9 Creamy Vanilla (backordered)
Should have the first two Monday. I'm going to follow the cold PG soak method as i like Str8s view that this is hard to screw up. I've learned to be patient from DIY steeping:)
Off to the early parts of this thread and again thanks for the responses!
Oh, I also want to mention, @Str8vision, I ran with your MO regarding mixing NET into other juices and my god, it can make a once not so great juice (like my creamy pineapple cheesecake w/ graham cracker crust) into something amazing! There was way too much graham cracker before, but mixing in about .5% of my AS NET and the juice came together!! Could be a staple in future mixes.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
.....I ran with your MO regarding mixing NET into other juices and my god, it can make a once not so great juice (like my creamy pineapple cheesecake w/ graham cracker crust) into something amazing!.....

Adding NET to an already really good retail juice can make it even better too. :) Back when I first started vaping I only vaped hybrids, as I began to learn how to make NETs I used my NET to flavor Boba's Bounty, Nicoticket's Creme Brulee (and later ACB), Charlie Noble's Tripoli, Pistachio RY-4 and many other retail e-liquids. Good stuff. Ahhhh.... the good 'ol days ;)

MSK421

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2017
Fort Worth, Texas
Update: Aged/steeped 8+ weeks; 12%, 20pg/80vg.
HH Acadian Perique: Smokey/Smooth medium va/per.
Billy Bud: medium cigar. Smokey cigar
Back Down South: Balanced Va/Per with a whiskey (bourbon) note. Little to no sweetness from the va. Smokey whiskey medium vape.
By comparison the A. Per. is smoother, less bold flavor(s) than the La. Red. The B.Bud is a milder cigar than the cohiba cigar flavor. The BDS compares well with ohm natural but with the whiskey note.

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
Here is what I ordered...

Very nice selection! You’ll enjoy those. :cool:

I have most of those as finished extracts and they are among some of my favs.

I’m currently cool steeping the C&D Oriental Silk and Sutliff VooDoo Queen... it’ll be a couple of months before they are ready. I have heard from other individuals, these tobaccos yield a wonderful result.

I’m finally considering macerating some single varietal leaf from leafonly-dot-com. Perhaps some Dominican and/or Honduran Ligero, Nicotiana Rustica, and Canadian Virginia Flue Cured. I’m kinda curious about the results of single varietals... Not to be a “Debbie Downer”... but if the future turns bleak for sales of store bought tobacco... I wanna experience what might be the future of DIY NET extractions. ;)

Brad P

Verified Member
Jan 27, 2014
S.F. bay area, Californa
Very nice selection! You’ll enjoy those. :cool:

I have most of those as finished extracts and they are among some of my favs.

I’m currently cool steeping the C&D Oriental Silk and Sutliff VooDoo Queen... it’ll be a couple of months before they are ready. I have heard from other individuals, these tobaccos yield a wonderful result.

I’m finally considering macerating some single varietal leaf from leafonly-dot-com. Perhaps some Dominican and/or Honduran Ligero, Nicotiana Rustica, and Canadian Virginia Flue Cured. I’m kinda curious about the results of single varietals... Not to be a “Debbie Downer”... but if the future turns bleak for sales of store bought tobacco... I wanna experience what might be the future of DIY NET extractions. ;)

Yes. If the first few extractions are any indication, I will really enjoy theese!

I decided to go with the Ramback-Balkan based on a post that you made a few pages back. I found your impressions to be spot on, and very much in line with what I was looking for. Thank you! I threw together an 8ml. batch just as a tester/ taster, and was mixing up another 100ml. batch within a half hour. I was eager to get some of this steeping!:banana:

I have not mixed up any of the Luxury Twist Flake yet, but I have tasted a few dabs of it on a dripper. The aromatic caseings that I mentioned did come through. This will probably be a sweeter tobacco flavor than I usually choose,(may not be an ADV) but variety is good for my line-up. I'll know more when I get a batch mixed up.

I have a batch of the Oriental Silk in process right now. 80PGA/20PG . It has been through the heat phase, and I think I may just let it sit another week or so at room temp.. The VooDoo Queen is one of my favorites! I remember that I was not all that crazy about it after the first "shake & vape", but after letting it sit and mature for a good while, WOW! The transformation was remarkable to me.

I understand what you are saying in regards to Leafonly.... Be prepared....

I am sort of drawn to the varietals too. I figure that If I have a better idea of what all of the individual components taste like, it makes going through the descriptions of all of the blended tobaccos make more sense to me. Still working on finding what I like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread