Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
What maceration process did you use?

Do you think a different maceration process could have resulted in a more robust outcome? Or do you think “what you get is what you get” with this tobacco?

I have a NET bud who is about to try this tobacco as one of his first extractions; he would appreciate words of advice, I’m sure.

I did the 12 hour PGA cook and have no idea how a different method would change/improve the results, as the PGA cook is all I've ever done.

As I stated, the flavor is good but just a little too mild and somewhat lacking (for me). The too mild part could possibly be that I didn't mix it strong enough, or perhaps didn't reduce it enough. I generally mix @ 10% and find that, for me, it works well. In fact, I have actually needed to dilute a few from that level. The somewhat lacking part is my taste buds wanting more, of something. I've since paired it (50/50) with the PS Turkish and find it much more flavorful and enjoyable. :)

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
I did the 12 hour PGA cook

Nice. Well, I don’t know if he is ready to travel down that road quite yet. But, I’ll suggest he give some thought to doing a 1/2oz of that tobacco in EA and PG, separately, as a side by side comparison of methods. I’ll see how adventurous he wants to be on his first go.

Reactions: Rickb119

SCOTT-3

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2012
london u.k
IMAG0850.jpg
Finally after 5/6 years from growing Canadian Virginia from seed to air curing now extraction, On first vape a robust sweet tobacco, problem now after those years i don't like sweet, not sure how to other come that.

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
View attachment 696149
Finally after 5/6 years from growing Canadian Virginia from seed to air curing now extraction, On first vape a robust sweet tobacco, problem now after those years i don't like sweet, not sure how to other come that.

add some Burley and/or Yenidji, Latakia, Perique.

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
View attachment 696149

Now that's patience! Congrats on a successful journey. I'm impressed.

SCOTT-3

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2012
london u.k
KP, You can grow indoors with 2 gallon pots in soil of nitrogen and potash nutrients 2-3 seeds per pot
Special care of watering, light, and heat, just like you would any other exotic indoor plant,or wait till spring for outdoor growing. Make sure there not cigar, I've grown cigar fronto leaf, Massive 4ft x 18in leafs

Last edited:

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Has anyone extracted Cornell & Diehl's "Da Vinci"? It's a Latakia, Burley, Virginia blend of tobaccos. It appears to be the same as their "Pirate Kake" (75% Latakia) but with Virginia instead of Turkish tobacco in the blend.

I've really been enjoying C&D's "Constellation", a Virginia, Burley, unsweetened black Cavendish and Latakia blend. Will definitely be extracting a larger batch of this one. :)

PeterRamish

Account closed on request
Jun 17, 2017
California, USA
.. I’ll suggest he give some thought to doing a 1/2oz of that tobacco in EA and PG, separately, as a side by side comparison of methods. I’ll see how adventurous he wants to be on his first go.

Interesting:

Has anyone noticed different flavor profiles resulting from HotEA vrs Cold Soak PG on the exact same base tobacco? Has anyone A/B tested the two procedures? ? Any comments or your thoughts on this?"

Reactions: Str8vision

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Interesting:

Has anyone noticed different flavor profiles resulting from HotEA vrs Cold Soak PG on the exact same base tobacco? Has anyone A/B tested the two procedures? ? Any comments or your thoughts on this?"

For my first three years of extracting flavor from tobacco I primarily used PG and PG/VG mixtures for the extraction solvent. I experimented extensively with hot, cold and mixed temperature extractions seeking the best overall method, extraction solvent(s) and tobacco(s) for making NET. The taste difference between a PG and an ethanol based extraction of the same tobacco can be profound, each yields a different flavor profile. There's even a noticeable taste difference between hot and cold PG extractions. The type of solvent and method of extraction has a direct impact on flavor. Each solvent and method of extraction has its advantages and disadvantages where flavor and performance are concerned.

SCOTT-3

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2012
london u.k
This method i tried has me baffled, Air dried so no moisture in Virginia whole leaf, rubbed to almost dust mixed 50/50 leaf and p/g 5 day cold steep and shake only, Four times Whatman paper filter extraction, then mixed at 20% At that % seemed to be over flavoured but the coils on dripper after 14ml discoloured but not caked, Perhaps the sugars went with the drying method i just don't know.

Reactions: Str8vision

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
This method i tried has me baffled, Air dried so no moisture in Virginia whole leaf, rubbed to almost dust mixed 50/50 leaf and p/g 5 day cold steep and shake only, Four times Whatman paper filter extraction, then mixed at 20% At that % seemed to be over flavoured but the coils on dripper after 14ml discoloured but not caked, Perhaps the sugars went with the drying method i just don't know.

The following is only a suggestion, for you, on a method that has worked many times for ME.
I have never let my tobaccos completely dry before extraction. Nor have I rubbed them to the point you have. Also I have used about 1/2 to almost 3/4s of an ounce of tobacco to a 16 oz. canning jar and filled it with liquid. I cold extracted it for around 8 weeks, with very good results.

kocmat

Apr 17, 2009
Bulgaria
A question to Str8 and the other old dogs here.
My limited observations are that after the initial stepping when individual characteristics of tobacco start to show, the tobacco extract starts to age in manner similar to jarred tobacco (but at a much faster rate). Virginias and Va/Pers become more sweet, less grassy, etc.
So my question is about Latakia. Latakia is known for loosing strength over time, becoming more smoky and less punchy.
Have you noticed similar behavior in a well aged juice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread