iStick Pico vs SMOK AL85

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegendJo

Mar 26, 2017
Hello there!

I am new to the vaping community, I am a non-smoker adult who decided to vape on, Honestly I tried smoking, I smoked 2 packs in a very rough month almost a year ago, I hated the taste and the smell of it but I really enjoyed being able to puff something. It's something I really enjoy. I also love to tinker with things and this seems fun to me. I am not getting into this to look "cool" nor I intend to use it anywhere than home anyways.

Now.. I did a lot of research and reading and watching YouTube videos etc.. and then I started looking at prices in stores in my country and start making something out of my budget and I came to this:

1: iStick Pico Mod + Serpent Mini tank

2: iStick Pico Kit (Melo 3 tank)

3: SMOK AL85 Kit (Baby beast tank)

With that and battery and a liquid my budget is fully exhausted.

What I like about the SMOK:

• The Screen: Not actually the size of it but how it looks and the how information is shown.
  • The Look: It really looks pretty.
  • Software: Being able to control stuff with 1 button and some little statistic about the puffs is kinda nice.
What I don't like about the SMOK:
  • The body of it: Terrible paint job as a lot of people is saying, I hate using cases.
  • replacement parts more expensive in my country than the Pico
  • I kinda have trust issues with SMOK because of problems with Alien
What I like about the Pico:
  • You can customize the software.
  • Colors of the mod and how it looks overall.
  • It's cheap allows me to get a RTA but still has a decent quality.
  • Cheap replacement for the Melo 3 tank
  • That you can charge it via decent USB safely (Since this was tested for a long time on this specific MOD with charts and everything.) The only thing to be extra safe is to remove the cable after the battery is full to avoid float charging.
What I don't like about the Pico:

I actually don't really know.. I don't mind the smaller tank size nor the small screen.
I've heard that it gets REALLY warm and annoying in like 3 puffs but I am not sure, I'd like to listen to your inputs on that!
Also, About the serpent tank, I am not considering a Coil Master kit soon so I am either gonna gonna make coils without it or buy pre-made coils, Are those coils okay or there's any problems with it?

Sorry for the so long thread!

Kickingthesticks

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 6, 2016
    I'm still waiting for the price on the smok to come down some so I can't speak for it. But the Pico and serpent mini has been reliable so far. Haven't noticed my Pico getting hot. I take way more then 3 puffs lol. Serpent mini is a great tank for flavor, it's a rta so you'll have to build your own coils. Besides the small juice capacity it's fairly easy to wick and build.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 10, 2016
    Ottawa area, Canada
    The baby beast con: coils might be hard to get, expensive, don't last long if you use liquids with lots of sweeteners. Because if the type of coil, it uses liquid up faster, but clouds more.

The Melo 3's pro: you can use lots of various coils (from Eleaf, Aspire, Vaperasso and others), are cheaper and they are easily rebuildable.

And all tanks can get warm, it's all about the wattage that you vape at, and how much you pull during a "drag".

Last edited:
    Reactions: Fullknight

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2014
    Hello there!

I am new to the vaping community, I am a non-smoker adult who decided to vape on, Honestly I tried smoking, I smoked 2 packs in a very rough month almost a year ago, I hated the taste and the smell of it but I really enjoyed being able to puff something. It's something I really enjoy. I also love to tinker with things and this seems fun to me. I am not getting into this to look "cool" nor I intend to use it anywhere than home anyways.

Now.. I did a lot of research and reading and watching YouTube videos etc.. and then I started looking at prices in stores in my country and start making something out of my budget and I came to this:

1: iStick Pico Mod + Serpent Mini Tank

2: iStick Pico Kit (Melo 3 tank)

3: SMOK AL85 Kit (Baby beast tank)

With that and battery and a liquid my budget is fully exhausted.

What I like about the SMOK:

• The Screen: Not actually the size of it but how it looks and the how information is shown.
    • The Look: It really looks pretty.
    • Software: Being able to control stuff with 1 button and some little statistic about the puffs is kinda nice.
    What I don't like about the SMOK:
    • The body of it: Terrible paint job as a lot of people is saying, I hate using cases.
    • replacement parts more expensive in my country than the Pico
    • I kinda have trust issues with SMOK because of problems with Alien
    What I like about the Pico:
    • You can customize the software.
    • Colors of the mod and how it looks overall.
    • It's cheap allows me to get a RTA but still has a decent quality.
    • Cheap replacement for the Melo 3 tank
    • That you can charge it via decent USB safely (Since this was tested for a long time on this specific MOD with charts and everything.) The only thing to be extra safe is to remove the cable after the battery is full to avoid float charging.
    What I don't like about the Pico:

I actually don't really know.. I don't mind the smaller tank size nor the small screen.
    I've heard that it gets REALLY warm and annoying in like 3 puffs but I am not sure, I'd like to listen to your inputs on that!
    Also, About the serpent tank, I am not considering a Coil Master kit soon so I am either gonna gonna make coils without it or buy pre-made coils, Are those coils okay or there's any problems with it?

Sorry for the so long thread!
    Pico is my everyday go to mod. It's value to me got a huge boost with the Arctic Fox firmware because I can see max temp and max watts for each puff. The smok is bigger to accomodate the bigger screen and bigger atomizers. If the smok could run the arctic fox firmware or had the same features I'd be tempted to own one because of the big display. But you don't have to choose. Prces are reasonablle, get them both and tell us which one you like better. (I'm an expert at spending other peoples' money,)

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    Two real differences of the AL85 and Pico. The AL85 will take a 25 mm tank, the Pico will not, and the AL85 has a fire bar instead on a button. The AL85 screen does show more info, but most of it is superfluous to me, however the menus are really easy to navigate without remembering a half dozen different button sequences. The Pico is smaller.

I have both, and like each for it's individual features. Oh, and the BB tank? If you want lots of cloud, you got it. Flavor is also really decent. However it blows through juice like a Hummer with gas. And the small volume means you're always refilling it. If you do want a Smok tank using those coils (which are pretty good for factory coils) consider the Big Baby Beast that holds over 5 ml instead (assuming you can find an AL85 which is mod only no tank, which might be tough).

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com
    Apparently (according to the Djlsb Vapes test and review on youtube), the Al85 doesn't do very good temperature control and has a high voltage cutoff so the battery life won't be great (I don't have the Al85 though so can't speak from experience). I have two Picos and love them. Work great and don't get overly hot when vaping.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2015
    Garland,TX
    How about the AL85 firmware? I have a Smok R-Steam Mini 80w. In TC Mode the mod auto detects the coils and dictates the wattage, ya gotta take what it gives ya! Now there is another adjustment (Hit Strength) that will get me somewhat closer to my TC experience wit my Picos. But due to the mod trying tell me how I'm gonna Vape it's no good for anything but charging batteries to me. Is the AL 85 the same way?

Vesh

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 17, 2017
    The pico (esp. resin version) looks great to me but I have to be honest...I have handled both devices., and the AL 85 feels so much better in the hand, like it was made to be held.. The pico requires some awkward hand positions to fire as you can't really just grip and fire like the AL85.. furthermore I am not sure i like the pico buttons on the bottom, and they feel really loose to me.
    Smok pretty much fixed up all the original Alien issues with the AL85 and it was a solid mod from the start. It also has a fantastic screen with tons of info that the pico can't even come close to. The smok's minimum preheat in TC mode is 15 watts, so if you are one of the few who vapes really low wattage TC high ohm builds, it might not be for you, whereas the pico can adjust it's watts in TC mode through it's entire normal wattage range.
    I'd not hesitate in recommending the AL85 as an overall ADV mod for those who vape under 100 watts. One caveat, no mac firmware upgrades, where eleaf (as with wismec and joyetech), absolutely do have an absurdly easy to use firmware update system for both OSes.
    Threading on the battery doors is equally acceptable on both. I highly recommend the Sony VTC5A as being the absolute best battery to use in either, for the perfect balance between runtime and amp capability. enjoy!

Vesh

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 17, 2017
    Oops I need to also add, if you ever want to MTL with the included kit tank, you can't with the baby beast on the AL85. It's a direct lung tank only. The meloIII has the ECML coil option which actually gives a surprisingly good MTL, or you can still do great cloud chasing with it.. However as noted above, the pico will only flush up to 22mm attys, so beware of that.. The smok can get up to 25mm.. If you only have the budget right now for one device and one tank, it really does depend on your vaping *style*. Also you mentioned something about building your own coils and I don't think (from memory & quick google to confirm, forgive me if I am mistaken) the melo has a rebuildable deck. The baby beast definitely does.
    If you can afford 2 tanks and one device, THEN it becomes a much easier choice.. the AL85 kit, and one extra tank to give you a different vaping style, like a serpent sub tank(ssocc coils) or a nautilus 2 for a terrific MTL.. I know many hardcore DL vapers who still do MTL when they go out in public, and they genuinely enjoy it now and then. I'm the opposite.. I love MTL and i genuinely enjoy a cloud chase once a week (but not in public lol!). I only have 2 cloud chase tanks, the cleito 120 and joyetech ornate and i could never see needing anymore for a long time. OTOH i have heaps of MTL devices.
    The big issue here to the OP is he hasn't really explained his major vaping style or planned style..and someone so new to it SHOULD try MTL, RL and DL and get a real feeler for what they prefer. Have some options on the table. A serpent sub tank looks fantastic on an AL85 in black, is dirt cheap and can take the good kanger MTL SSOCC 1.2 and 1.5 coils which mimic a cig draw.. Just an example. Personally i'd try find a beyond vape silo tank that takes N-BVC coils so you can use any nautilus coil known to man and any triton mini coil, and then have your baby beast for cloud chasing.
    Also, there are some gorgeous colour combos coming out right now for the AL85.
    Don't forget, in the AL85's price range, there are mods that can do more - it can't hurt for the options to be there.. For example the sigelei Kaos, which is the only sigelei mod I like, and it can take up to 28mm atties! They sorted out temp control so it's much nicer than with their previous mods. It can also do 190 ish - 200ish watts (not the 235 claimed). Very inexpensive for the substance included.

Also to the OP, what is so customisable about eleaf? You can choose a logo and a couple different display modes, that's it. I don't understand what you mean by "you can customise the software", unless some really major feature about it has gone over my head. I am only giving my honest opinion here and no doubt many will disagree with me.. Believe me, i have gotten so much rubbish from Smok and issues, that I have no love for them at all.. I just feel in this case it's a better mod and that they got that one "right".
    Not to forget it also has a more accomodating 510 and everything sits flush on it. It's a really good mod. Do you have a brick and mortar store anywhere nearby? If you can possibly get to one, hold both in your hand and that will help decide to. I know, the first mod purchase can be a little daunting and you don't want to make a mistake and waste your cash. Mine took me months to pick and it ended up being the MVP Pro3, a decision I have never regretted (it still doesn't have a single rattle or functional issue to this day.)
    Speaking of the MVP4 kit should really be on your radar if you can stretch the budget just a tiny bit more. Innokin mods are too often overlooked these days IMO. You could also add a very cheap isub V to the mix for like 13 dollars and use it with the new 1.2 coils just released, which are designed specifically for MTL in an isub! So MVP4+scion kit gives you 100 watts of cloud chasing, then if you want a MTL, just add a nautilus or an isub V. Easy. Many options out there, if you are willing to broaden your choices to more than just pico or AL85.
    Let us know how you go!

Reactions: David Wolf

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2015
    Garland,TX
    The pico requires some awkward hand positions to fire as you can't really just grip and fire like the AL85..

You find moving the tip of your finger awkward?

2017-05-12_08.39.47.jpg
    2017-05-12_08.38.59.jpg

Last edited:

Jeff M.

May 7, 2015
    I have both the Pico and AL85. I much prefer the Pico. The Pico's stock TC seems less choppy plus it's compatible with Arctic Fox firmware, which makes it even better. Additionally, some simple personal preference here, but I find the AL85 on/off sequence annoying compared to the Pico. For a mod that's in and out of a pocket all the time, it makes a difference. If the new Pico 25 is identical to the current Pico, only slightly bigger, it'll probably retire my AL85.

Tony80

ECF Veteran
    Aug 16, 2015
    yes i do, it's just too tiny for my hands but ymmv. the al85 can be gripped completely and fired by palm.. personal preference which is why i suggested OP should try get to a store and see how both fit in HIS hand.. why the sarcasm?

Because it's fun!!!

Size wise, the AL85 is smaller
    AL85 71x48x27 vs
    Pico 119x45x23

I'm comparing these to what feels good in my hand, the coolfire 4 @ 86x42Wx25. I have larger hands, and the Coolfire fits nicely with some space left, the AL85 is even shorter, so feels tiny to me.

Pico has better software options, at the cost of not being able to use larger tanks. There are some good 22mm tanks out there, so not a major issue, I would probably top with an avacado or goblin mini...I don't like buying factory coils.

Firing: Al85 has the bar, which is nice, but I'm used to a tiny button, so Pico's firing button isn't a big deal.

Screens: The AL85 has a large screen, but it's too much IMO, I like the simple 2 line display the Pico has.

Looks: I really don't like the funky striping on the AL85, but they do have some nice color options, dark blue, orange, green really pop. Pico has some nice colors as well, brushed copper and black with brass stand out here.

Overall, I personally would go with the Pico, and get a nice tank/RDA to top it off. I think either mod will be fine for you, but as mentioned, you may want a different tank if you go with the AL85.

Reactions: Foggy Road

bwh79

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 11, 2014
    Oregon
    Looks: I really don't like the funky striping on the AL85, but they do have some nice color options, dark blue, orange, green really pop. Pico has some nice colors as well, brushed copper and black with brass stand out here.
    Ooh that black and brass one is sexy as HELL! But, alas!, I needed (read: wanted) something that will look good with my larger tanks. So I ordered the "champagne gold" AL85 (black with gold-tone plastic trim), just before the Pico 25mm was announced :-S

Reactions: Foggy Road

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2015
    Garland,TX
    Pico has some nice colors as well, brushed copper and black with brass stand out here.

Ooh that black and brass one is sexy as HELL!

Yeah and that Black/COPPER will stay sexy looking for about a week. Unless you wanna hide it under a skin which makes no sense to me. The thing is a scratch magnet to the point that if you have dry skin you could probably scratch it with your fingerprints. Also has some sort of sealer over the black that bubbled and peeled away in a couple small spots. I won the mod so I can't really gripe. But be warned.

With that said. The Black/COPPER (yeah I know eleaf calls it bronze but it sure looks like a shiny new penny to me) was my first Pico. In spite of its finish I was so pleased with the minimal size, hand comfort and K.I.S.S. firmware that I now have 3 with a 4th on the slooooow boat! All the Picos after the first are standard finish and holding up well.

Last edited:
    Reactions: bwh79

Str8vision

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 26, 2013
    Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
    I have too many trust issues with Smok devices, and don't care for the AL85's looks/layout. The only complaint I "had" with the Pico is the 22mm atty limitation, other than that mine have performed flawlessly especially for $25 mods. It appears a new 25mm version is about to hit the market in June. FT is taking pre-orders for the "kit" version that includes an atty that I don't want or need. Hopefully a mod only option will become available soon afterwards. I want one (or three) of these Pico 25's.

7667702-2.jpg

25mm Pico.jpg

Belhade

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    New York (no, not the city)
    The Pico is my daily driver; as I use an 18mm Buddha Mini tank the size obviously isn't an issue (and I can throw a standard RDA on at any time). I never updated the software and have had pretty much 0 problems using it for...gosh, maybe a year? How long has it been available?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread