Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
Here's some pics of the German silica next to regular twisted silica. And a coil I'd made with the German.

uploadfromtaptalk1370880919134.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1370880943206.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1370880964796.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1370880987617.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1370881027501.jpg

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
06-06-13-02.jpg

Another shot with the NEXTEL

Remember, The basic principal of micro coils is micro size coils (+/- 1/16" diameter) with many tightly wound touching (or as close as possible) wraps. I find that the best molds for wrapping these tiny coils are 16 ga and 18 ga blunt tip needles and 30 ga Kanthal A1.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Yeah, from what I think I learned, the micro coils advantage is getting a similar vape as you were getting from a sub-ohm set up without actually having to go sub-ohm that many devices cant handle.

Its gonna give a much better vape :). I have found that coils with a few spread out wraps (regardless of ohms) dont even come close to the performance of the many, tiny touching wraps. My opinion, having tried sub ohm vaping, is that if you vape on a setup that doesnt allow for a long, small bore coil, then your stuck with it - but if you have the device and the skills to shrink the diameter and add the wraps, it is gonna be off the chain.

Last edited:

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
Like has been said, these micro coils are awesome for amp limiting, variable power devices because of the coils ability to heat up quicker with less watts. My VAMO was my only mod for a while (just got a mech, yeah!) and I quickly found that without stacking batteries it would put out about 11 watts max, and when I tried 30ga the reaction time was slower than I liked. A micro coil of 30ga on the other hand gives me quick reaction, powerful vape at at just 8 watts. To me it also just plain tastes better too. Add on how less gunk prone they are and it's a huge win for me.

I want to try some hollow braided ceramic and silica like the Nextel. I like the idea of sticking a needle through it and wrapping the wire right on the wick. Sounds easier than doing the coil first and threading the wick through, especially on too much coffee days with shaky hands.

MaxS89

ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
Florida
So basically, I think im settling on the 30ga and german silica for my first rebuild. I know its good to have an ohm checker but being a broke college student I can only spend so much so just going to be guessing and doing trial and error lol. Any other tools recommended to help the process that are must haves? I do have plenty of different sized nails and will try it on that, with the wick process that Jerms descriped. I know you can get different options as far as flat or round. What to get? Would this be a wise purchase? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kanthal-A1-...9oz-Resistance-Resistor-AWG-A-1-/281014330171

Last edited:

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
Yeah Grim Greens video pretty much talked me into it. He said the amount of vapor is amazing with a micro coil set up. Hopefully I will be successful in my build as I really have no idea what i'm doing lol. So should I go 31 or 30? He used 28 for it, don't know what to order now.

Both work great, not a big difference between 31 and 30. The 31 will allow a little more ohms in the Pro heads, and offer a better reaction time for non-micro builds if used on a variable power device. If Grim got 2.3 ohms from 10 wraps of 28ga he must have made the diameter bigger than I do, because 10 wraps of 30ga doesn't even give me that.

martydmb

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2012
wisconsin
Like has been said, these micro coils are awesome for amp limiting, variable power devices because of the coils ability to heat up quicker with less watts. My VAMO was my only mod for a while (just got a mech, yeah!) and I quickly found that without stacking batteries it would put out about 11 watts max, and when I tried 30ga the reaction time was slower than I liked. A micro coil of 30ga on the other hand gives me quick reaction, powerful vape at at just 8 watts. To me it also just plain tastes better too. Add on how less gunk prone they are and it's a huge win for me.

I want to try some hollow braided ceramic and silica like the Nextel. I like the idea of sticking a needle through it and wrapping the wire right on the wick. Sounds easier than doing the coil first and threading the wick through, especially on too much coffee days with shaky hands.

What ohm are you at with your micro using 30awg. I have 3/4 wrap with 30awg kanthal and its at 1.2 was thinking of trying a 7/8 wrap with 30awg kanthal on my next coil

MaxS89

ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
Florida
Both work great, not a big difference between 31 and 30. The 31 will allow a little more ohms in the Pro heads, and offer a better reaction time for non-micro builds if used on a variable power device. If Grim got 2.3 ohms from 10 wraps of 28ga he must have made the diameter bigger than I do, because 10 wraps of 30ga doesn't even give me that.

Here is the link to his build if you want to take a look at it. It starts at the 7min mark.

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
So basically, I think im settling on the 30ga and german silica for my first rebuild. I know its good to have an ohm checker but being a broke college student I can only spend so much so just going to be guessing and doing trial and error lol. Any other tools recommended to help the process that are must haves? I do have plenty of different sized nails and will try it on that, with the wick process that Jerms descriped. I know you can get different options as far as flat or round. What to get? Would this be a wise purchase? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kanthal-A1-...9oz-Resistance-Resistor-AWG-A-1-/281014330171

That will cover it. You'll want a lighter to heat the wire, takes out the springiness. A torch lighter is nice too for the silica, a quick torching removes any unwanted taste from fresh silica.

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
What ohm are you at with your micro using 30awg. I have 3/4 wrap with 30awg kanthal and its at 1.2 was thinking of trying a 7/8 wrap with 30awg kanthal on my next coil

About 2ohm with 10 wraps I think? I got lazy remembering the ohm of a coil because I'd set watts with my VAMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread