tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Tripple digits half way to home
Well built my first twisted coil.
Twisted 30 guage @ 1.0 ohms.
The Reo mini with DK Tab WTA is just brutal. The same on the grand with HHV Is pure heaven.

Never understood why folks wanted to use twisted Kanthal.

Now I understand. Wow. What a difference. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Borescoped

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Minot, ND
Well built my first twisted coil.
Twisted 30 guage @ 1.0 ohms.
The Reo mini with DK Tab WTA is just brutal. The same on the grand with HHV Is pure heaven.

Never understood why folks wanted to use twisted Kanthal.

Now I understand. Wow. What a difference. :)

Exactly what I was looking for, largest I've got is 30 gauge, but need to be down to 1.0 ohms. I'll have to get some lock wire pliers and twist me up a new coil!

Oh, wraps and diameter?

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Tripple digits half way to home
I saw a video of a guy that used a cordless drill to twist the wire.
I took a large paper clip, straightened one leg. Left the other end in a hook shape. Pliers to hold the free end. Turn the drill on and it was a perfect twist. Easier than I ever dreamed.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
So 2+ weeks in with the new REO and decided to try out a new coil. Decided to go twisted this time and its vaping pretty good. It takes like 2 seconds to start up but cools off like a regular coil would. Very smooth vape in all. I think on the next go round I will bring it down to maybe a 9/10 wrap, (was going for that but lost count), so it fits in the Cyclone a little better. I thought that last wrap would screw up the entire coil, but it works just fine... Blowin' clouds and tasting great!!!
28g 1/16" dia. 11/12 wrap 1.09Ω
20140225_195422.jpg

Borescoped

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Minot, ND
I made up a twisted 30 gauge wire at work today using a bench vise, a large Allen wrench and a pair of safety (lock) wire pliers. Got home and wrapped it around my .054" screwdriver, 9 wraps, came out to 1.06.

Took a little bit to break in, but happy with it so far!

dyneby6e.jpg

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
So 2+ weeks in with the new REO and decided to try out a new coil. Decided to go twisted this time and its vaping pretty good. It takes like 2 seconds to start up but cools off like a regular coil would. Very smooth vape in all. I think on the next go round I will bring it down to maybe a 9/10 wrap, (was going for that but lost count), so it fits in the Cyclone a little better. I thought that last wrap would screw up the entire coil, but it works just fine... Blowin' clouds and tasting great!!!
28g 1/16" dia. 11/12 wrap 1.09Ω
View attachment 310021

Muzicbrother, there's just something so right about you rocking a REO bro :)

jifjifjif

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2011
Vape Canaveral, FL
from the Manufacturer's website: Artistic Wire Coiling Gizmo(R) Deluxe Winder, 5 rods, 4.5mm, 4mm, 3mm, 1.5mm, and 1.0mm

I got sick of wrapping inferior coils by hand around a toothpick, so I just ordered this. Which of the mandrels are you all liking best? The 1.5 or the 1mm??

Commie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2012
Michigan
I got sick of wrapping inferior coils by hand around a toothpick, so I just ordered this. Which of the mandrels are you all liking best? The 1.5 or the 1mm??

I'd use 1mm for dual coils, 1.5mm for single ones. I have a feeling that 1mm wick won't keep up in a single coil setup.

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
I've used both, the 1mm works well for sliding hollow ekowool or xc-132 ceramic wicks on and then wrapping, the 1.5mm works well for wrapping and then wicking. the 1.5mm is smaller than 1/16 but larger than .55" inch wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread