Not open for further replies.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
I got sick of wrapping inferior coils by hand around a toothpick, so I just ordered this. Which of the mandrels are you all liking best? The 1.5 or the 1mm??

I'm liking the .055" one.

I made it. The first iteration is the one on top. Then I made a new improved one with the wing it facing in. It's the one in the middle. The 90 degree piece on the very bottom is a .055" piece that I use to mount the coil on my RBAS :)
VfU8Oqs.jpg

But before I bought the .055" music wire at hobby lobby I liked the 2nd smallest one - I think it was 1.5mm

PNW Rider

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
Mukilteo, Wa
This thread sure keeps me on the straightened arrow. Every now and then I'll get these bad habits that I can't shake. In my recent builds I have put the coil so close to the air hole that I restrict my flow and get a harsh throat hit. Thanks for posting that turbocad6, I'll be building a 27awg 8 wrap iteration while looking at that pic.

Sent via evasi0n for ios7

Xobeloot

The Dirty Monkey
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2013
Grafenwöhr, Germany
So... I know this isn't a micro coil, but I saw some random dude do it in a video and I had to try it.

I found some 1mm glass pipettes in my clinic and went to town. What a pain it is to coil on these things!

Anyways, a few tries and several small cuts on my fingers later:

ubahy5us.jpg

I have to give credit where it is due, so to you random youtube glass wick guy... You get two opposable thumbs up!

What a clean vape!

Now to figure out a better way to do it without carving my fingers like a thanksgiving turkey!

Sent from the zoo using Tapatypo 2

Xobeloot

The Dirty Monkey
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2013
Grafenwöhr, Germany
The glass tube is the wick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah. I broke a glass pipette into little pieces and wrapped the coil around it. Im going to attempt a better build on it. It vapes super clean tasting with killer vapor production, but it requires a lot of squonking.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
Just re-coiled my Grand yesterday. 27g 1/16" 8/9 .96Ω micro w/ RxW... Used my new mandrel that I got from Russ and the RxW went into the coil better than my previous coils w/ 1/16" drill bit. Coil is nice and tight. Didn't have to fire and compress like I used to have to do. It hits pretty good, but I think I kinda liked the .8Ω coil I had on it previously. I may redo it and take a wrap or two out of it....
20140516_141719.jpg 20140516_142215.jpg

and a pic with the cloud chaser sanded down...
20140516_142514.jpg

BigLungs

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2012
Champaign, Illinois
Yeah. I broke a glass pipette into little pieces and wrapped the coil around it. Im going to attempt a better build on it. It vapes super clean tasting with killer vapor production, but it requires a lot of squonking.

You could try, carefully, flame polishing those ends so you will be much less likely to cut yourself. Obviously wear safety goggles in case you heat too much in one spot and shatter it.

Edit: You could also try wrapping on a full unbroken piece so no cuts and prettier coils, then slide your coil on your broken piece.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread