Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy Evans

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2013
Columbus, Georgia, United States
I built a microcoil last nite. Still working on the method tho. My coils need be tighter. Take a look below

yhu5u5y2.jpg

From that built my provari metered it at 2.7 ohms, A very warm vape.

Just dry fire and push them together, I figured that out sitting here are work with mine, however I dont have enough wraps on mine to get a good micro out of it

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
If you want to experience the benefits of a micro coil, try going micro on the diameter of the coil and keep the wraps as close together / touching as possible. Perhaps a single wick of silica would allow a micro coil? Here's a micro with cotton. Just a footnote: if your coils diameter is larger than the screw heads, you will really kick your vape up to the next level once you drop the diameter of the coil down to around 1/16" and use like 15 wraps if Kanthal A1 like this...

e4yhu9y4.jpg

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
How are you able to keep your coils touching? Mine kept springing back.

^^ the red vaper is correct. I also recommend using a 4" length of 30 ga Kanthal A1 that's been torched till red and dipped in cold water 3 times before wrapping the coil. 4" gives you a good size piece to get a good grip on to pull tight while coiling. Also, some random little spaces between the coils are ok - the key is small diameter and alot of wraps that touch or as close to touching as possible. :)

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
You coil them next to each other. If you coil them separate and try to push them together later, they will spring apart.

You can somewhat squeeze them together later when they're hot.

Yep ^

I like using a nail so I can keep the tension fairly tight when wrapping. Make sure to keep wrapping perpendicular and not at an angle to avoid a spring shape. I've found if I'm doing more than 10 wraps, it's ok to have a couple gaps where they don't quite touch.

Heating the wire and squishing them together works too, but you won't have to if you wrap it right.

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

Jerms

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Fargo
^^ the red vaper is correct. I also recommend using a 4" length of 30 ga Kanthal A1 that's been torched till red and dipped in cold water 3 times before wrapping the coil. 4" gives you a good size piece to get a good grip on to pull tight while coiling. Also, some random little spaces between the coils are ok - the key is small diameter and alot of wraps that touch or as close to touching as possible. :)

Beat me to it lol. The master has spoketh.

Why do you dip in water after torching the wire?

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Beat me to it lol. The master has spoketh.

Why do you dip in water after torching the wire?

To rapidly cool it so i can heat it again. Not sure if it helps, But I have never made a coil without heating / cooling / heating / cooling / heating / cooling. I've also heard it called annealing / quenching.

I now make batches of 20 4" strips, and use a pair of hemostats, a burner on the gas stove and a big cup of water to do em piece by piece. Takes about 5 minutes :)

Last edited:

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Yeah, I read in another thread that the hot/cold/hot/cold is a good way to anneal this wire (blah blah aluminum content blah, can't remember). I just wrap it as close as I can, then torch once to relax it. Then make adjustments, and happy me.

My last coil, I tried Supe's wrap on a wick that's on something super skinny method (I used a tiny drill bit in my wick). And I got it first try. When I do it onto only a drill bit (and later thread the wick), I usually have to anneal and adjust.

Judge Dredd

Reviewer / Blogger
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012

Thanks! Unfortunately, I've been trying to do it with mesh on a genesis atty, so without making a thinner wick, I can't the diameter as small as I'd like, but I'll try again when I make a smaller wick.

CloudZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
My ghetto setup is back. The coil meters at 1.6 ohm, 9 wraps of 30 ga Kanthal. The mesh wick is a little kinked up, but it works pretty good. Just not a lot of room to work with. It glows at the center then spreads to the outside, no hotspots I can see but it does give off a low crackle rather than a straight hiss when vaping. Maybe this is from the combo of 450 mesh and 50/50 juice? Not sure, a little advice would be helpful.

View attachment 219644

Same coil, just pulled out the mesh, squished it together a little more and threaded in some cotton. This actually works really well... might be my go-to for a while.

View attachment 219656

Last edited:

AnthonyB

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
Sydney Australia
Jerms I think I have some answers to my questions. I tried 10 wraps on 28 guage kanthal and I got 3.8 ohms. I think the problem is I didn't wrap them tight enough to ensure they were all touching. It was a poor wrap with gaps and inconsistencies and this may be because I wrapped right onto the silica without a sturdy base like a noodle or nail. I am going to give this another go. I am sold on Micro-coils. The best discovery since RBA's were first conceived.

I've never been a fan of sub-ohms because of the risk factors. I am worried that someday soon, someone clumsy and careless is going to hurt themselves with a sub-ohm and bring vaping into the spotlight again for the wrong reasons.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
Jerms I think I have some answers to my questions. I tried 10 wraps on 28 guage kanthal and I got 3.8 ohms. I think the problem is I didn't wrap them tight enough to ensure they were all touching. It was a poor wrap with gaps and inconsistencies and this may be because I wrapped right onto the silica without a sturdy base like a noodle or nail. I am going to give this another go. I am sold on Micro-coils. The best discovery since RBA's were first conceived.

I've never been a fan of sub-ohms because of the risk factors. I am worried that someday soon, someone clumsy and careless is going to hurt themselves with a sub-ohm and bring vaping into the spotlight again for the wrong reasons.

yup.
thats what im worried about too. whats worse is some shops are actually recommending RBAs to noobs without the proper knowledge. and whats even worse, is a story i heard of some noob shop employee incorrectly setting up an rba for a customer noob, only to have failure ensue. im sure this is happening more than we'd like to admit. it would be a crying shame to have inexperienced operators not willing to learn the necessary precautions ruin the wonderful world of RBAs.

cerver7

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2010
Shamong NJ
I agree with all of those commments. Watch Phil busardo's review of the Nzonic V3. He went on a rant about these issues. The more dangerous we get = the more ammo of big tobacco to slap us in the pee pee. I am all for new tech and creating new ways to vape, but at some point someone is going to try a 12v car battery on a .2ohm coil and melt their face off Indiana jones Style. we need to be more careful with this as i dont want to have to buy my juice all from overseas company's hidden packages that say cooking oil when its juice.....prohabition for the new generation? i sure hope not.

Jeremy Evans

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2013
Columbus, Georgia, United States
Finally made my first true micro coil, Used a 1/16 drill bit and then threaded some 1.5mm ekowool through and had to kinda squish the coil sideways to get it tighter on the wick. Also ended up removing a couple coils last night to lower the resistance, so now it is a 10 wrap of 30 guage, measures out at 1.9.
IMG_20130611_225636_085.jpg IMG_20130611_225807_291.jpg

Wow, is all I can say, thank you Pdib and drifterX for sharing this amazing setup. I dont find the th that much harder, I actually think it is a lot smoother than the normal coil setup, but the flavor and vapor production is crazy. Also dont think that the Ekowool can keep up with the coil that well either

MaxS89

ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2013
Florida
Did my first one tonight with cotton on my protank. Very nice. 2.1ohm 8 wraps of 32g since I'm out of 30g :(
How did it turn up? Want to give it a try on my Protank as well. Wicking good with cotton? Been trying to get my hands on german silica to try it out but out of luck. Willing to try cotton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread