OBS Engine RTA... or is it an RDTA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RevelRob

Jan 13, 2017
I just ordered this tank from myfreedomsmokes.com along with a Triade dna 250 and am way too excited to receive them.
I've been looking for a leak free rta for a long time.
I think this would be great in TC with some SS 316L Fused Claptons.

Here is my Tarrot Nano with the 25MM Engine. Overhang is very minimal.

K3pIxgB.jpg

iEj1b23.jpg

How do you like the Tarot Nano compared to the Target Mini? I'm thinking of also pre-ordering an OBS Engine Nano or an OBS Engine Mini for the Target Mini I have but rarely use anymore. The Nano would be great because it's single coil but won't fit without a spacer or heat sink since it's 25mm. The Mini would fit (22mm) but would be dual coil. I don't know if I can get a good dual Fused Clapton build in there that would vape well at 40W or less. Any advice from anyone in here? Tanx!

Reactions: Eskie

Btsmokincat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2013
Waterville ME
Hi guys, can someone with a black obs engine confirm if the black is anodized onto the tank it self or is it just painted. Hate painted tanks as the black starts to come off.
Feels anodized. It's incredibly tough, I've had mine for a few months and not a scratch on it.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Eskie

Boodaddy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2016
Ohio
I just ordered this tank from myfreedomsmokes.com along with a Triade DNA 250 and am way too excited to receive them.
I've been looking for a leak free RTA for a long time.
I think this would be great in TC with some SS 316L Fused Claptons.

How do you like the Tarot Nano compared to the Target Mini? I'm thinking of also pre-ordering an OBS Engine Nano or an OBS Engine Mini for the Target Mini I have but rarely use anymore. The Nano would be great because it's single coil but won't fit without a spacer or heat sink since it's 25mm. The Mini would fit (22mm) but would be dual coil. I don't know if I can get a good dual Fused Clapton build in there that would vape well at 40W or less. Any advice from anyone in here? Tanx!

I love the Nano. It's basically the same chip as the mini, but with a couple more features for TC. Same button functions etc... I prefer it to my mini because of the bigger battery, and not having to use a spacer for 25mm tanks as well. I would go with the Nano if you got the cash. Here are some images of what the 25MM Engine looks like on my very used Target Mini...

5PWpvRp.jpg

bSYq8Kz.jpg

ggRFdkT.jpg

k4CeC2h.jpg

RevelRob

Jan 13, 2017
I love the Nano. It's basically the same chip as the mini, but with a couple more features for TC. Same button functions etc... I prefer it to my mini because of the bigger battery, and not having to use a spacer for 25mm tanks as well. I would go with the Nano if you got the cash. Here are some images of what the 25MM Engine looks like on my very used Target Mini...

5PWpvRp.jpg

bSYq8Kz.jpg

ggRFdkT.jpg

k4CeC2h.jpg
Haha, it looks so huge on that baby mod! I already have the Target Mini and want to try to get some good use out of it even though if I had to do it again, I'd probably get the Nano because of the 80W and that awesome "auto watt choosing thingy" feature I've heard about in reviews.
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of build do you put in it for the Target Mini and at what wattage?
Lastly... is it me, or do you also experience this? Am I crazy when I say that the Guardian Tank that the Target Mini comes with gives a surprisingly amazing flavour? I mean, it always surprises me when I give it a go every few days.

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
Hi guys, can someone with a black obs engine confirm if the black is anodized onto the tank it self or is it just painted. Hate painted tanks as the black starts to come off.

How would I tell?
I've had mine for months, in pockets, out hiking rough trails, a couple of tips/drops. Nary a scratch or chip in the tank.
If not anodized, pretty darn hard paint.

Reactions: Boodaddy

Boodaddy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2016
Ohio
Haha, it looks so huge on that baby mod! I already have the Target Mini and want to try to get some good use out of it even though if I had to do it again, I'd probably get the Nano because of the 80W and that awesome "auto watt choosing thingy" feature I've heard about in reviews.
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of build do you put in it for the Target Mini and at what wattage?
Lastly... is it me, or do you also experience this? Am I crazy when I say that the Guardian Tank that the Target Mini comes with gives a surprisingly amazing flavour? I mean, it always surprises me when I give it a go every few days.

Yea it's a little tall now lol. I started out with the Guardian tank, and the flavor was amazing. The problem I experienced was coil inconsistency. Some would vape great, and some terrible with burnt hits because it didn't wick properly. The 0.5ohm coils were better, but same results with quality control.

I went to the Innokin Axiom tank next, but stopped using that because the deck sucked. The posts kept moving, and loosing connection. Coils are awesome for the innokin axiom. Does start to dry out if you chain vape.

I went from innokin axiom to the 22MM Griffin RTA, but that leaked like a ...., so I got this OBS Engine and the spacer, and then I figured I would just order the Tarrot Nano to be able to use 25mm tanks with more selections to choose from lol. I vape 22.7W, and chain vape, and it keeps up amazingly well. No issues yet :)

Last edited:
Reactions: RevelRob

RevelRob

Jan 13, 2017
Yea it's a little tall now lol. I started out with the Guardian tank, and the flavor was amazing. The problem I experienced was coil inconsistency. Some would vape great, and some terrible and burnt hits because it didn't wick properly. The 0.5ohm coils were better, but same results with quality control.

I went to the Innokin Axiom tank next, but stopped using that because the deck sucked. The posts kept moving, and loosing connection. Coils are awesome for the innokin axiom. Does start to dry out if you chain vape.

I went from innokin axiom to the 22MM Griffin RTA, but that leaked like a ...., so I got this OBS Engine and the spacer, and then I figured I would just order the Target Nano to be able to use 25mm tanks with more selections to choose from lol. I vape 22.7W, and chain vape, and it keeps up amazing well. No issues yet :)
Awesome!
What kind of build do you put in there to get a good vape at 22.7W?
SS? Kanthal? Nichrome?
What kind of coils? Just straight wire? Fused Claptons? Twisted?
What Gauge wire(s)?
What Inner Diameter?
Sorry for all the questions. Just want to try something that I can use on the Target Mini in a hunch.
Thanks!

Boodaddy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2016
Ohio
Awesome!
What kind of build do you put in there to get a good vape at 22.7W?
SS? Kanthal? Nichrome?
What kind of coils? Just straight wire? Fused Claptons? Twisted?
What Gauge wire(s)?
What Inner Diameter?
Sorry for all the questions. Just want to try something that I can use on the Target Mini in a hunch.
Thanks!

No problem bro. Glad to help. Currently I am using

Straight Wire
26 Guage Kanthal A1 wire from Lightning vapes. (Love their Wire) Kanthal A1 Resistance Wire (Even Gauges)
2.5 Inner Diameter coils (Spaced) Spaced coils give me the best flavor.
Cotton Candy Cotton it's the best cotton I have used besides cotton bacon, but it's better than cotton bacon. You can get it at vapor beast. Accessories | Cotton Candy Cotton | VaporBeast I'm going to try Rayon next just to see how that works out.

Here is a picture of my deck. The pic isn't that good, but you get the idea. This as after almost a week of vaping.
6uOmFmk.jpg

In the future I might try 3.5mm inner diameter coils, but 2.5 works amazingly well for me. Notice how my coils are just a tad below/almost even with the top of the posts. Gives amazing flavor that way because of how the air flow works out. You can see how even both coils are burning from the middle on my cotton as well.

Last edited:

Btsmokincat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2013
Waterville ME
I have the black as well and it does appear to be anodized. The only way to be certain is to test with a multimeter, and I cannot find mine for the life of me and it's driving me insane lol.
How do you test with a multi meter? I can do that right up!

Btsmokincat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2013
Waterville ME
Test two points on the black surface of the rta, with a gap of about 4mm or so between the electrodes. IIRC, anodizing renders a surface non conductive, and you should get a reading of infinite ohms.
Ok. DMM went crazy trying to read ohms on black surface, the ohms were jumping all over the place. However I got a stable resistance in the stainless steel grooves.

I also tested my Dripbox 160 and mad hatter v2 (both painted I think) and got no reading at all, as if I wasn't touching the leads to anything.

6steelstrings

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2014
North Carolina Triad
I have been vaping on my Engine for a couple of days now and by far it gives me more flavor than either my Aromamizer or my Griffin 25. That is saying a lot because the Griffin has been a real flavor machine. I might even say that I would compare the flavor production to a dripper. I think I will have to get another one to have as a spare, just in case.

Kay998

Jan 8, 2017
They should work fine. I don't know if they're better quality than the stock ones, but at least you'd have plenty of spares. You could also try the slot head screws for the Griffin from Vaping Walrus (which are the same size). Many people have better luck with slot heads than with hex/Allen heads when you get down to these tiny sizes.
Thanks a lot ill check em out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread