Older People - 55 years and up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nansc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2011
New Hampshire
I am in my sixties and smoked for over fifty years of course with the periods of quitting.Pregnancy ,chantix patches,you know the drill.I sure wish we had had these around a long time ago.I have found it pretty easy to quit with these.When I quit before I couldn't seem to concentrate on anything it was really bad.I still want to pick one up when I get stessed but pick up my e cig instead. Oh and I started at 13,my brother introduced me to it,but we really didn't know any better.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
Being 65 as of the 3rd of last month, here's my lil' story fer ya'll (again):

Eighteen years ago I quit cold turkey by my own choosing. Day-um, I was miserable. After four weeks I told my bride that I was thinking about starting smoking again. She encouraged, "Give it a while longer." Well, six weeks later, after gaining 27 pounds and making life miserable for everyone around me; family, friends, coworkers, acquaintances AND strangers, I told my bride that I was gonna start smoking again. Her response, "Please do!"

My three daughters, young teens at the time, have since then told me that those ten weeks were the worse in their lives. WHOA! Well, I knew I HAD to quit but didn't want to put anyone through my misery again. HOT DAY-UM, found this site and made a few well informed purchases, thanx to the wonderful folk here.

Here I am after 47 years of two PaD, ten months in on a freakin' fantastic journey; tobacco free, no stomped kittens, no road rage AND no being a b*tch with balls!

I don't relate my experience as an excuse nor alibi. I just tell my story to give encouragement for those looking for FREEDOM from 'bakky. If there was ever a 'poster boy' for why and how to quit, here I is!
abused.gif

So listen up all you young bucks and buckettes...
old.gif

Last edited:

Karen171

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2011
north Texas
Great thread, Bluesman...how ya doin? It's about time we had a thread for us seniors. And yeah, Mattiem, we should get a senior discount for our stuff. Well I tried everything ...over 30+ years of smoking, tried cold turkey, patch, pills, drops, hypno X2.. nothing worked til ecigs. My neighbor told me about hers so I rushed to Walgreens to get my Blu cig. I didn't like it much but knew it would be the answer once I found a better one. Got on here and learned all kinds of wonderful info and met even more wonderful folks. I've been analog free since Nov 28th...not very long but absolutely no cravings for the nasty analogs. I vape at 18mgs and hope to get the nic down. I love trying all the new flavors...especially the tobaccos. Best of all my 3 dogs(aka furkids) don't have to breathe that 2nd hand smoke anymore. A dog's sense of smell is so advanced...imagine how unpleasant the smoke is for them.

Happy to meet you all. I hope now we'll all be around a whole lot longer. :)

ardelleg

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2011
Alaska
Coughed when I started?..... I sure did.... my throat could definitely tell the difference between smoke and vapor... I could not inhale the vapor at all... so I used my ecig like a cigar... just puffed, created the vapor like a cloud of smoke and eased into it.... It has been working for me for over a year now...

I am 61 and smoked for about 45 years... long enough

Shortstuff116

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Bellingham, MA
56. Smoked 2 PAD for 36+ years. A friend in NC told me he quit using the e-cig which I'd never heard of before so I ordered a KR808D-1 from SmokeTip.com. I took my very first vape at 11:35 a.m. 4 Nov '09 and quit smoking instantly. A week later I ordered a Joye 510 and since made several 3.7 volt mods for myself like the Nicosticks, Altoids tin and Eclipse tin. I thought I was in vaping heaven for over 2 years until I got a Provari last month and now I've found vaping bliss. My doctors are very impressed with my improved health and so am I. The same day I started vaping I quit taking my BP medication (just for the heck of it) and my BP has been normal ever since.

I knew that cigarettes would be the death of me, but now I hope to live just a little longer to enjoy my grandson a bit more. And there is NO DOUBT in my mind that without ECF I would not have been nearly as successful.

MikeA5

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2011
Methuen, MA
Hi everyone, I'm 63 and started smoking when I was 8. I would go to the store to buy my Dad a pack of cigs and I would by an extra pack for myself with my 25 cent allowance and hide it in the back yard. At 15 I was smoking a pack a day at 21 I was up to 2 packs a day and moved up to 3 packs a day as the years went by. My wife smoked a pack to a pack and half a day before getting a stroke and a bad ticker last January. That's what made me look to alternatives to smoking. She was able to quit cold turkey because she had to if she wanted to live. That's when I knew I shouldn't smoke any more in the house and I smoked too much to keep going out. A friend of mine suggested ecigs and I haven't looked back since. For the first 9-10 months I'd smoke 1 or 2 analogs a day while still vaping. Now I'm analog free. I think I saved some money Vaping Vs Analog's but that isn't why a stopped! I now have many mods (6 VV two are bottom feeders), an EGO-T and a few ecigs that look like analogs(puchased when I first started vaping). I enjoy the ECF site very much and have learned a lot about ecig's from the members. Vaping for me is now like a hobby with all the mods and eliquids to try. I'm so glad that I have stoped smoking and I feel so much better.

Paul S

Jan 6, 2012
Excelsior, MN
I'm 59, and smoked a pack-a-day and more for over 40 years. I once quit for five years, ending about 11 years ago, and during that five years, I became the ex-smoker from hell--just ask my wife! I became nothing but resentful of HER smoking, and finally started up again.

About two years ago, we tried some overpriced lookalikes that I found at a convenience store while we were on vacation. We both found them "interesting," but not all that satisfying.

This past fall, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and my doctor told me that he wanted me to control it with diet and exercise. The diet was not that big of a deal, but I knew that exercise and a pack of Old Golds per day don't go together, and I wondered if there were any better e-cigs out there, readily available. So, I did some hunting around on the internet, and found a "brick and mortar" vaping shop in my area. There, I was able to try a GOOD PV, which I promptly bought, along with some juice. Within about two weeks, I was ready for the higher-voltage vape, so I invested in a GLV-2, which I am happily vaping as I write this.

Oh, yeah....the analogs: In the first couple of weeks, I had two analogs, due to dead batteries...but went right back to vaping. My wife, unfortunately, has not been able to make the transition yet, as vaping seems to aggravate a chronic stomach problem, but she's working on it slowly; so, I keep buying the Old Golds for her. But she smokes, and I vape, and we're both fine with that.

I never thought that quitting the analogs could be this easy. Yeah, I wish this had been around 20 years ago or so, but I've gotten to the point where I don't do a lot of looking back with regrets.

Tonight, I'm checking out a bunch of new flavors (for me), and I'll probably go and buy some more cartos tomorrow :)

my4jewels

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Maine
Okay, I'm 55. I smoked for over 40 years. I never got a smokers' cough or had any really obvious health problems from smoking, other than shortness of breath. The day I picked up an e cig, was the last day I smoked. I found the transition easy. I started with Greensmoke, moved on to ego's and riva's. Then I went VV. I now consider it a hobby. I diy all of my juice. I have some very nice mods, and I haven't saved a penny. I figure I'm worth it...:)

Last edited:

Bluesman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
PA USA
Hello to everyone! And, Karen171, so nice to see you and I'm glad you found this thread. All of you have great stories. Actually, I think Seniors should have there own section in this forum somewhere. But this will do for now.

And vendors, take note, senior discount - Great Idea!!!

I have not told my story, and I will at some point. I've always found others more interesting than myself. And you all are very interesting people. Thank you for your stories and keep on posting.

VapRon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2011
FL
56 here and as many others started at a jung age.Man been 40 years with those darn sticks. I already gave up hope on the quitting.Had trouble sleeping with that train whistel from my lungs keeping me awake. Then about a year ago on the radio I listen to a guy taking about those e-cig things. Hey why not give it a try. Did everything else so I went for it.
I still can not believe to be 8 month smokefree and no desire whatsoever for the sticks.
And yes "We Want Our discounts".

Hope there are many many more of us young guns who make the switch to enjoy breathing, tasting and lets not forget stamina hihi.

Richie G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Lawn Guyland, NY
It's impressive to see anyone of any age quit smoking. (notice the word 'quit' as opposed to 'stop' here...I stopped a few times but never quit until May of '09) But, it is especially impressive to see how many older folks are having so much success in quitting via the PV. Us older folks by simply smoking longer have had many more failures at quitting than the younger crowd. That gives more credence to vaping as an alternative. And, we lived in an era where smoking was not only frowned upon but outright encouraged via the media. I mean, nearly everyone smoked on TV and the big screen. There was a time when cigarette advertisements were 15% of any magazine we picked up, or so it seemed.

None of this is to detract from the younger crowd's success at quitting smoking. Again, it's a major accomplishment for anyone to kick the smoking habit, for sure. It's just that I think it's a little harder for our crowd for reasons stated above.

This thread should be a sticky, btw. It's these stories of folks who have given up smoking for good after multiple decades of doing it that needs to be shoved down the antis throats. It's time that us vapers aren't treated like lepers, the cousins to <gasp!> smokers, and recognized for helping to curtail long term health care costs.

<climbing down from soapbox, with the help of a walking stick and a boy scout's hand> LOL

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
55 here!

I had smoked for 37 years. I NEVER thought I could quit!! Never, ever, ever! I had only gone without smoking 2 times for one day each in all those years. And, both times it was because I was very sick. Just the thought of quitting (or of running out) made me smoke more!

Like artt, I thought that "If it seems too good to be true, it probably IS." Between that and the fact that I never knew anyone who quit smoking using one, I thought it was all just a scam.

Then my brother decided to quit smoking using electronic cigarettes and did the research. So, I finally tried it. And, after 2 days of working the bugs out, no more cigarettes! Just like that! The last cigarette I smoked was on Feb. 27, 2011.

No temptation to go back. The only thing I miss is the ease, not the cigs.

What's funny is that it seems that ecigs help long term (older), heavy smokers the most. It doesn't seem to help young people as much because they learned to smoke during a time when you had to go outside to smoke.

When I started smoking, people smoked in the grocery store, in restaurants, even in classrooms. Smoking was part of every moment of every day. Anyone who started smoking in the last decade or so just never got a chance to develop the same kind of habit that we did.

I'm not sure how much it's because it's a different kind of habit or how much it's because us older, more long term smokers are just more desperate. Yes, I think desperation may be a big part of it.

But, to me, it was a miracle!

And, btw I haven't saved a penny yet. But, I think I may be finally starting to get the toys out of my system. So, I may start saving soon?

Last edited:

VapoVamp

ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2011
N.C.
Good Morning my Fellow Vapefreaks....I think I might belong in the in limbo thread(couldn't find one)only being 54, in April!? Here's the short version of the death of my lifetime of smoking(I smoked ever since I can remember around 5)was allowed in my mountain family(wished someone would've kicked my Azzzz!) I'm a new vapor since December 9th, 2011. An analog smoker of most my years, a perfect LOVE/HATE RELATIONSHIP!!! Would and could NOT have put my cigs down without my e-cig!! Thank GOD for them and this ECF forum with all the massive info & concered community. However, my new vaping experiance began with the usual trial by vaping.....I had to learn how to vape! It took about 2 weeks for me to realize you have to take a slow steady draw(no hot boxing, that will only discourage you) from your e-cig and understand I'll never get that nasty taste from those posinous analogs(THERE'S 1000'S OF POISONS WE INHALED IN THOSE ANALOGS, after years you'd thought I'd known that)but, the mfg'rs really want to keep us/me ignorant of some facts & of course I think I didn't want to know. I DO hold myself accountable for not being pro-active & investigating on what I was putting in myself. My experiance with vaping is a learning experiance and has now become my hobby!:D I can tell you all day long about my wonderful experiance with my ego-t, E-Power and "My Precious" 5V BOX MOD, gotta have that harder throat hit. I'm satisfied as I've NEVER BEEN! vaping all day long. The possibilities are ENDLESS & EXCITING!!! When I first started I had 2 packs of analogs left in my carton and counted down my last 60 with alternating vaping, then on my last analog I had a funeral for it,LOL! THAT WAS CLOSURE ON MY COFFIN NAIL HABIT! No more coughing my toenails up!, new smellls!(some better than others!,lol)and becoming anxious to meet fellow vapors as I. VAPEOUT & ON! P.S. I hope I'm old enough for this thread...if not I'll be in limbo. I'll see you in the Vapehaze:vapor:

slr817

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2010
Nacogdoches, Texas
Morning...I figure at 53 I'm old enough to be here....smoked for 35 years but after a couple of rough winters with pneumonia from hell and being told I was in the early stages of COPD, I figured It was time to quit. Saw e-cigs on the Internet...bought my first kit a 510 almost 3 years ago..went to ego's and riva's and bought my first mod a few weeks ago..I'm loving my new habit and my health has improved 100%....my husband is vaping but still smoking some and I'm trying my best to get him to put the analogs down for good.

rave

* Resident Wood Nymph *
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2009
Raven's Haven, Indiana
Hey Gadd - I started with the Penstyle 801's too! Boy - were they a drippy, leaky mess or what? Then I moved on to 510's which required all kinds of fiddling and modding and led to a lot of frustration. From there I moved on to a Silver Bullet (that puppy could knock out a Green Bay Packer!), Ego's, GoGo's, Kr8's, etc., so on. I finally found one PV (the Smokeless Image Volt) that you can actually hold like an analog, don't need to push any buttons (sealed automatic), gives a ton of vapor, taste, and TH, and gives me no grief whatsoever. NOW I'm in Heaven!

Senior Discounts would be wonderful! I am saving money now that I don't feel a need to try everything under the sun. But still ...

I understand what you folks are saying about how it is very different for those of us who grew up in a time when smoking was promoted. Both of my parents smoked and two of my sisters. We all smoked everywhere without any problem. I never once went outside of my own home to smoke.

house mouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
BFE
I'll see 55 one day this year so I'm chiming in. I switched to vaping on Oct. 18th 2010 and with the first puff I never looked back. I had smoked for 33 years with several different attempts to quit and none of them with any success. The longest I ever made it was 6 months and I craved them all the time then. I had pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I would die a smoker. I coughed up crap every 15 minutes or so all day long. Wheezed all the time. Anyhow, I was on a cruise forum and saw a thread about e-cigs. A few people on the thread were vapers and posted links to various sites including this one. I came over here and read a lot. Bought a Joye eGo after doing some research and been off the stinkies ever since. Man do I feel better. I rarely ever cough up crap anymore(2-3x a month, maybe) and my wheezing has completely stopped. I no longer have to use an inhaler in the mornings to feel like I can breathe again.

I've recently moved on into vv devices and box mods and all kinds of different goodies out in the vaping world. I've weaned down to mostly 0mg juice but occasionally use 2mg if I feel I need a boost.

But I sure do wish these had been around 20 years ago.

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
I'm still not used to be one of the "older" ones...

Yea me too!!! My daughter (27) says that I am the child in the family - boosts my ego everyday - you are only as old as you feel... 29 and holding - been holding it for awhile now. I will never forget when my wife cried on her 30th birthday - "But, I cannot say 20 something anymore" (LOL)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread