Post pictures of your working wick and coil setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
Lmao definitely horrible typo. Suck My Mom does great reviews though!

But yeah, P4Y & Sigelei both are sister companies under Asmodus. Sigelei seems to be the sturdier made of the three, while P4Y has more features such as firmware upgrades and cool things like touch sensors. I have an IPV mini 30w, and it read my Atlantis wrong, at .4ohms. The sx130 chip inside of that mod is supposed to have a cut off at .5 ohms. I opened it up only to find the positive 510 wire had come unattached to the + 510 connection. I had to resolder every connection in the mod to get the chip to read accurately. Now I only use it for my nautilus/nautilus mini tanks in PWM mode.
Funny thing is, I tried a local B&M's Sigelei 30w mini, with my Atlantis & same coil, and the chip read .5-.6 ohms.
On my ohm reader my Atlantis reads .54, which is accurate, because to reach a .5 using the resistance wire/non-resistance wire in the coils, you need 2 inches of 26g kanthal. I opened up one of the used Atlantis coils, stretched it out, and measured the length of the coil that heats up and its 2" even, which equates to .535 ohms using 26g kanthal.
I really want to see the internal wirings of the IPV3 Li, I know the IPV3 has proven to be a solid mod over the past, so I want to see what corners they cut to make the price so low. One nice feature I've seen so far is the battery connection upgrade, from the springs on the original IPV3 compared to the copper spring loaded connections that look more like the internals of a Sigelei's battery sled.
I'm just gonna take my time to see where the faults and complaints of each mod start trickling in before I make a choice. I'm most likely leaning towards either an sx350j or DNA 200 DIY box because I'd know exactly what's in it, how it's set up, and that everything I install will be the correct part.

I LOVE that style build on a Competition Kennedy. Either a quad like that or an infinity style dual coil. They just look perfect over the airflow.

Hmm, I did not know that Sigelei and P4Y were both under Asmodus. Yeah I'm really interested in the IPV3Li but I am wondering too why it just came out and the price dropped so low already... So what do you know about the SX350 chip in the IPV3Li? I'm also interested in getting something that has a temp control mode that somewhat works so I can try getting into that as well. Another con for the Snow Wolf that I forgot to mention was the battery life. I heard that the efficiency of the chip isn't that good. MikeVapes said that he believes the battery life of the Snow Wolf is less efficient than that of the Sigelei 150W, which I own. Do you know how the IPV series might compare in this department as well?

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
Hmm, I did not know that Sigelei and P4Y were both under Asmodus. Yeah I'm really interested in the IPV3Li but I am wondering too why it just came out and the price dropped so low already... So what do you know about the SX350 chip in the IPV3Li? I'm also interested in getting something that has a temp control mode that somewhat works so I can try getting into that as well. Another con for the Snow Wolf that I forgot to mention was the battery life. I heard that the efficiency of the chip isn't that good. MikeVapes said that he believes the battery life of the Snow Wolf is less efficient than that of the Sigelei 150W, which I own. Do you know how the IPV series might compare in this department as well?
I don't know about the efficiency of the chip in the snow wolf, but the chip in the IPV3 Li is the sx330v3SL, IPV4 has the sx330v4s, and the SX Mini M class has the sx350j. The sx330 chip has so many variations and is used in a lot of p4y & Sigelei's mods. Your Sig150 & my sig100 use one of the sx330 chips. I have no clue what chip is in the snow wolf, and it does some things differently than most YiHi chips, like pulse firing over 150w.
I know a lot more about the sx350 series chips, as I've been planning on building an sx350j box for some time now, but due to the recent increase in TC mods, I've held off. It's a 60w chip with a max 120w when running dual 18650's or LiPo packs in series together. With one battery it'll top out at 60w though. Min resistance is .05ohms as of recent firmware updates for the SX mini M class, and it can either be run in Joules (TC) or Power (wattage) modes. It's got the whole gravity sensor where you can tilt your mod to change power levels, temp control is very accurate and similar to the IPV4 it has 5 different saved power settings & resistance lock. It has 4 different modes, soft, regular, powerful & powerful +. RipTrippers did a pretty good review on the mod, which is the chip, check it out.
I'm holding off until I see full specs on the DNA 200 because I think it can be a potential game changer in not just TC mods, but all mods in general.

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
I don't know about the efficiency of the chip in the snow wolf, but the chip in the IPV3 Li is the sx330v3SL, IPV4 has the sx330v4s, and the SX Mini M class has the sx350j. The sx330 chip has so many variations and is used in a lot of p4y & Sigelei's mods. Your Sig150 & my sig100 use one of the sx330 chips. I have no clue what chip is in the snow wolf, and it does some things differently than most YiHi chips, like pulse firing over 150w.
I know a lot more about the sx350 series chips, as I've been planning on building an sx350j box for some time now, but due to the recent increase in TC mods, I've held off. It's a 60w chip with a max 120w when running dual 18650's or LiPo packs in series together. With one battery it'll top out at 60w though. Min resistance is .05ohms as of recent firmware updates for the SX mini M class, and it can either be run in Joules (TC) or Power (wattage) modes. It's got the whole gravity sensor where you can tilt your mod to change power levels, temp control is very accurate and similar to the IPV4 it has 5 different saved power settings & resistance lock. It has 4 different modes, soft, regular, powerful & powerful +. RipTrippers did a pretty good review on the mod, which is the chip, check it out.
I'm holding off until I see full specs on the DNA 200 because I think it can be a potential game changer in not just TC mods, but all mods in general.
I feel you. I would hold off until the DNA 200 mods come out as well and I'm sure I'll get one one day but I'm assuming that the first wave of them will most certainly be out of my budget [emoji19][emoji53] . $85 for a powerful decent working temp control mod for now doesn't seem bad to me. Is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
I feel you. I would hold off until the DNA 200 mods come out as well and I'm sure I'll get one one day but I'm assuming that the first wave of them will most certainly be out of my budget [emoji19][emoji53] . $85 for a powerful decent working temp control mod for now doesn't seem bad to me. Is it?

Yeah I'm skipping the first wave of mods too haha. Prices are going to be way too high. Which is why I may buy the dna200 chip only and three LiPo's or configure a triple 18650 set up to make my own mod.
On vapingcheap.com, I saw a deal on the ipv3 Li for $85.01 on wakeandvape. I say go for it.
Just don't take the screen protector off, I saw a review of an ipv3 Li, I think it was mikevapes who pulled off the film screen protector, and the glass covering the screen came along with it. If that happens it's easy to fix, just re-glue it in. I've had my Sigelei 50w Vr2 for 4 months now and I still haven't taken my screen protector off, it's there for a reason.
Edit: I just checked, and the Opus 200 (dna200 mod) is retailing for $229, but is out of stock. Vaporshark is probably going to be more than that considering their rDNA40 was originally $199

Mikepresjr

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2014
Claremore, OK
Pretty simple stuff here, Tobh with 0.6 ohm build on a rdna30. Can it be considered old school yet? Haha. Sorry they're blurry.. and flipped. :\

ehc7b7.jpg

9tzqyu.jpg

Reactions: Tom Forde

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
I'm experimenting on building the quietest build I can make... I want a quiet build with the least amount of popping so that I can vape next to my wife in bed without waking her up lol. The best I've found so far is a spaced kanthal dual build in my Archon with the airflow closed down to two holes on each side. I still want to keep the resistance below 0.5 if possible because I'm used to flavor at that heat level but it's not necessary. I can just pop an atty on my sigelei if that's the answer but for now I've been using that Archon on a mech. I don't know if the spaced coil is quieter than contact coils but I just figured I try it. Any suggestions?

Reactions: gliv52759

gliv52759

Dec 27, 2014
Hermitage, TN. USA
I'm experimenting on building the quietest build I can make... I want a quiet build with the least amount of popping so that I can vape next to my wife in bed without waking her up lol. The best I've found so far is a spaced kanthal dual build in my Archon with the airflow closed down to two holes on each side. I still want to keep the resistance below 0.5 if possible because I'm used to flavor at that heat level but it's not necessary. I can just pop an atty on my sigelei if that's the answer but for now I've been using that Archon on a mech. I don't know if the spaced coil is quieter than contact coils but I just figured I try it. Any suggestions?

From what I've read popping comes from distilled water and saline in the eliquid. Do you make your own liquid?

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
From what I've read popping comes from distilled water and saline in the eliquid. Do you make your own liquid?
does a higher ratio of PG mean less noise if the VG gives more spitting hot juice ? :unsure
No I don't make my own liquid.

I'm not sure if the popping is caused by the VG but yeah now I only vape max VG but even when I was using 50/50 in my STM it popped all the time.

There's gotta be builds that are more quiet than others. Right?

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
not sure maybe try a 3strand braid or a nano dragon i dunno ive never thought about the noise before now LoL i vape around the 0.1ohm range and most are quite violent

maybe a diamond coil, just trying to throw you ideas

i notice how my coils are more noisy in the morning after they have been sat holding juice for some reason but then i use distilled water in my juice to so..

Last edited:

gliv52759

Dec 27, 2014
Hermitage, TN. USA
No I don't make my own liquid.

I'm not sure if the popping is caused by the VG but yeah now I only vape max VG but even when I was using 50/50 in my STM it popped all the time.

There's gotta be builds that are more quiet than others. Right?

This is where I think the popping is coming from. Some vendors put DW in their juice to make it smooth, add moisture and thin heavy VG. It's not the build... it's in your juice. Read this thread from ELR Forum. It won't link, but here are the replies...

Ken_O_Where
I use DS to thin out some of my heavy VG mixes for tank users, 1 drop/ml. Too much DS seems to cause a lot of popping which sucks when using a wide bore DT. Velvet Cloud uses DS, their juices are all PG free and they make some great stuff.

ringling
I'm hearing that distilled water is being used in premium juice from one peticular company, which I will not name, quite frankly because I don't remember it, and it's smoothing out the flavor since it is replacing PG. I tasted four of this companies juices and for once I thought a so-called premium juice was just that, PREMIUM. This stuff was the bomb. Any ideas on possible percentages to try? I'm thinking of trying replacing 5-10% of blend on the PG side with DS, any thoughts?

UncleJoe
Hope this is useful
http://atmoslab.com/en/announcement/vg-and-pg-vs-temperature4
If you look at the chart the addition of 5% water reduces the boiling temperature of VG from 290 Degrees to 167
at 10% you are down to 138 hence the explosive popping.

I use 10% Aqueous VG 72mg Nicotine Concentrate in some of my 80% VG mixes.
These are mixed to 6% nicotine strength. The resultant distilled water content is about 0.2%
This is not enough to significantly reduce the overall boiling point of the juice.

Amy2Regular
Huh good to know. Makes sense to me the boiling point is lowered and that is why the thinned VG mixes always seem to pop especially in an aspire coil rough on ya sometimes

Last edited:

jj6404

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2015
VA
This is where I think the popping is coming from. Some vendors put DW in their juice to make it smooth, add moisture and thin heavy VG. It's not the build... it's in your juice. Read this thread from ELR Forum. It won't link, but here are the replies...

Ken_O_Where
I use DS to thin out some of my heavy VG mixes for tank users, 1 drop/ml. Too much DS seems to cause a lot of popping which sucks when using a wide bore DT. Velvet Cloud uses DS, their juices are all PG free and they make some great stuff.

ringling
I'm hearing that distilled water is being used in premium juice from one peticular company, which I will not name, quite frankly because I don't remember it, and it's smoothing out the flavor since it is replacing PG. I tasted four of this companies juices and for once I thought a so-called premium juice was just that, PREMIUM. This stuff was the bomb. Any ideas on possible percentages to try? I'm thinking of trying replacing 5-10% of blend on the PG side with DS, any thoughts?

UncleJoe
Hope this is useful
http://atmoslab.com/en/announcement/vg-and-pg-vs-temperature4
If you look at the chart the addition of 5% water reduces the boiling temperature of VG from 290 Degrees to 167
at 10% you are down to 138 hence the explosive popping.

I use 10% Aqueous VG 72mg Nicotine Concentrate in some of my 80% VG mixes.
These are mixed to 6% nicotine strength. The resultant distilled water content is about 0.2%
This is not enough to significantly reduce the overall boiling point of the juice.

Amy2Regular
Huh good to know. Makes sense to me the boiling point is lowered and that is why the thinned VG mixes always seem to pop especially in an aspire coil rough on ya sometimes
Hmm makes a lot of sense. Well that sucks, I don't really know how to find out the distilled water level of juices. And I'm not sure I'm willing to buy different juices just because they're quiet lol.

gliv52759

Dec 27, 2014
Hermitage, TN. USA
Hmm makes a lot of sense. Well that sucks, I don't really know how to find out the distilled water level of juices. And I'm not sure I'm willing to buy different juices just because they're quiet lol.

I don't buy premade liquid because I make my own... You can check the labels and see if it specify if it has water or maybe contact the vendor. I don't know if they'll be honest about it tho.

Last edited:
Reactions: Trickydick666

gliv52759

Dec 27, 2014
Hermitage, TN. USA
Having some Hobo time and watching the League! 8 wrap 28g vert coils vaping Sour Patch. The DNA has been through its paces as you can see here haha. I have no clue why they always flip when I upload them. It's very irritating.

I think there is a photo editor built in this forum software.

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
Dual changeling (Goes from the core wires being straight to twisted) fused claptons on the Doge V2 with 2x30g N80 & 1 strand 28g N80 wrapped in 32g N60. Pulse colors are awesome, too bad iPhone cameras and poor lighting can't show it. It seems like claptons are the only thing that give a Doge flavor..
image.jpg
image.jpg

gliv52759

Dec 27, 2014
Hermitage, TN. USA
This build is called The Transformer Coil. The Clapton has 4 cores 2x 28g kanthal and 2x 28g 317L wrapped with 32g Kanthal. The other coil is 2 Claptons Ni80 core wrapped with 36g Kanthal and fused with .8 ribbon wire. A total of 10 strands in parallel.

I finally got around to mounting the Transformer coil. I must say it's quite a nice coil.

20150705_081213.jpg
20150705_080652.jpg
20150705_083131.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread