Post pictures of your working wick and coil setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
my last one was a straight solid 500 (5") with 26g 4/5. I'm not seeing a Whole lot more vapor, but it's much thicker . . . I may need a bigger air hole than current 3/64. Also, throat hit is more. I think that there's no longer a right location for the air hole, and if I enlarged, I'd see more vapor, less throat hit.

shortee611

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2013
Aylmer, On
Twisted 32gauge 3/2/wrap no idea the ohms but its low. solid 500 mesh unoxidized.

IMG_20130222_224723.jpg

IMG_20130222_224833.jpg

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
Very nice. My AGA should be here tomorrow. Hadn't thought about doing a dual coil u wick but your pic has got my brain wheels turning.

You know what I did, that made it easy, I folded the wire in half with a toothpick in the U, then I twisted twice, and started with that "eye" on the positive post.( the twists are then like a spacer) Then I inserted the wick and laced down each leg with the wire ends.

jasl90

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
my last one was a straight solid 500 (5") with 26g 4/5. I'm not seeing a Whole lot more vapor, but it's much thicker . . . I may need a bigger air hole than current 3/64. Also, throat hit is more. I think that there's no longer a right location for the air hole, and if I enlarged, I'd see more vapor, less throat hit.

What about drilling a 2nd hole? One for each coil?
It would wreck it for single coils... Just a thought...

jasl90

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
You know what I did, that made it easy, I folded the wire in half with a toothpick in the U, then I twisted twice, and started with that "eye" on the positive post.( the twists are then like a spacer) Then I inserted the wick and laced down each leg with the wire ends.

That makes sense. Did it need the twist? I'd think that, with the positive screwed down on the wire, it stay secured without the twist.
Have you metered the coils individually? We're you able to get the resistance equal on both sides?

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
I didn't meter individually. I'd read where if one coil is any shorter, it gets favored (or longer?, i forget); but that it doesn't matter in practice. It might with a thinner gauge, but 30 isn't gonna pop or what have you. I just used the twist to get some distance from the post and to not have hot leg issues where its hard to reach (dual coils have enough finickiness to where I wanted at least that crutch).

jasl90

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
I didn't meter individually. I'd read where if one coil is any shorter, it gets favored (or longer?, i forget); but that it doesn't matter in practice. It might with a thinner gauge, but 30 isn't gonna pop or what have you. I just used the twist to get some distance from the post and to not have hot leg issues where its hard to reach (dual coils have enough finickiness to where I wanted at least that crutch).

The shorter (lower resistance) wire would get hotter.
Looking at pic #2... Looks like they are a dead match. So close that I assumed that you'd metered & tweaked to get them even. Guess there's something to be said for consistent craftsmanship.

Have you tried that setup on a regulated mod? I know it takes more power, for a given resistance, to get a decent vape off dual coils. I'm wandering if my Provari can deliver the goods w that type of setup.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
You know, I tried a dc once in a phoenix dripper; back when I only had my VAMO and had to stay above 1.2Ω. 2 vertical ss mesh wicks. Oh, look at this, I take notes :oops:: 34g 5/6 wrap netted 1.5Ω, then dropped to 1.3Ω. FUSSY! (Small space to work in). That one wasn't worth it. This one is. That and this are the only ones I've done so far.

Last edited:

jasl90

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Yea... Did something similar. Built 2 beautiful 3.2 ohm coils to make a 1.6 dc in a Phoenix. Used horizontal cotton wicks. Ran it on my Z-Max...
It was nowhere near as good as a single 1.6 ohm coil. Then again, it had 4X the amount of wire and a lot of wet cotton that needed to heat up...

I still dig playing around with different coil configurations. I just wish they all vaped as good as they looked...
I think I need to add a good mechanical pv to the line up...

One thing I did figure out, kinda by accident... You can actually lay the coils right on top of each other without having them short each other out. You just need to make sure they are smooth an even. The tight spacing (no space actually) lets coils get hotter, faster with less power. Take a look at the pics I posted earlier in the thread to see what I'm talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread