Not open for further replies.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Thank you, Trollish One. I wish a neighbor or friend needed like 20 feet of that box....... :facepalm:

Oh welp. When the time comes I'll get meself a box of, then become the Rayon Santa Lady~

A neighbor? :D

When the time comes, send me a PM. We'll talk. I'm still well supplied and not quite convinced I prefer rayon to cotton (sorry y'all :blush:), but I'm working on it.

Or you could try eBay.

100% Pure RAYON** ~**Cellucotton**~ *12 Feet* **BEST WICK**RBA/RDA ~Vape~ | eBay

Anyone ordered from eBay? Just curious...

Hi all!

@cigatron!
smileys-waving-170093.gif

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Here and there... :facepalm:

Where have you been? I haven't seen you in ages. :wub:

Aww you know me, hanging out in the techie threads mostly. Great to see you're still around. Pull up a chair, a cold one, a vape and hang out with us on the porch for a while.:)

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Aww you know me, hanging out in the techie threads mostly. Great to see you're still around. Pull up a chair, a cold one, a vape and hang out with us on the porch for a while.:)

I know.

Will do.

So you prefer rayon? Hmmm... I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I always feel like I can TASTE it.

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
I know.

Will do.

So you prefer rayon? Hmmm... I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I always feel like I can TASTE it.

Yep, love the stuff. Super clean taste and at least double the wick life as cottons.

If the rayon taste doesn't go away within 10 pulls or so you're probably under wicking the coil. Rayon needs to be tight enough in the coil to squeak/vibrate when you slide it back and forth in the coil.
To be fair, some people swear they can taste rayon no matter how they wick it. My brother was one of those people, until I wicked his atty.
Heavy wicking in the coil and thinned wick tails works great.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
A neighbor? :D

When the time comes, send me a PM. We'll talk. I'm still well supplied and not quite convinced I prefer rayon to cotton (sorry y'all :blush:), but I'm working on it.

Or you could try eBay.

100% Pure RAYON** ~**Cellucotton**~ *12 Feet* **BEST WICK**RBA/RDA ~Vape~ | eBay

Anyone ordered from eBay? Just curious...

Hi all!

@cigatron!
smileys-waving-170093.gif

Good deal on it, Kya, and who knows...... someday I may take you up on your generosity. For now, I'm STOCKED. Thank you to a certain member here who surprised and shocked me with a lovely little (HUGE) baggie of the good stuff.

Happy, me!

I know.

Will do.

Funnily enuf, some taste the "odd" taste of cotton! I'm one of those. I can also taste SOMETHING with rayon initially, but it subsides pretty quickly.

I'm thinking that no matter what wicking we use, it might be best to do quite a few test fires first (douse it, fire it, douse it fire it, etc.), then start vaping it. It's like the ol' atty primes.

Yep, love the stuff. Super clean taste and at least double the wick life as cottons.

If the rayon taste doesn't go away within 10 pulls or so you're probably under wicking the coil. Rayon needs to be tight enough in the coil to squeak/vibrate when you slide it back and forth in the coil.
To be fair, some people swear they can taste rayon no matter how they wick it. My brother was one of those people, until I wicked his atty.

Agreed, ciga. Love it, too, and for me it's been far more than double the wick life as cotton. I've got one MIRACULOUS tank that is now on Fill #40!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know about you guys, but I'm in :shock:!

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

Yeah, I've read Jeremy's OP very carefully and I thought I was doing it right, but maybe not quite. I'll try to pack my next coil a bit tighter. I'm just always worried about distorting the coil. Anther reason I still prefer cotton--threads so easily in and out.

whiteowl84

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2016
Drip and fire the coil just until it isn't wet anymore, repeat 5 or more times then wick it.
The reason any wick has a break in taste isn't the wick, it's the coil in contact with the wick. This process puts the layer on the coil to drastically cut down on the break in time. Usually I get rid of it in 2 or 3 pulls. Since I'm using drastically different coils and rayon than everyone else it's hard for me to tell you exactly what to expect but I'd imagine that using simple coils and Cellucotton that the break in time would be nonexistent.
Assuming a 3mm ID and the coil is tight on the mandrel it takes rougly half the thickness of a piece of Cellucotton to wick a coil. Sometimes it's a few strands more or less.
Roll the wick to a tip. When you pull it through you should need to hold the coil to keep it straight. It shouldn't be so tight you can't get it through with reasonable pressure. If you can easily pull it all the way through just add a few strands. Knock as much of the tails off as you can and as close to the coil as you can. I'm usually able to cut about half of it off and still be leak free.

Last edited:

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Drip and fire the coil just until it isn't wet anymore, repeat 5 or more times then wick it.
The reason any wick has a break in taste isn't the wick, it's the coil in contact with the wick. This process puts the layer on the coil to drastically cut down on the break in time. Usually I get rid of it in 2 or 3 pulls. Since I'm using drastically different coils and rayon than everyone else it's hard for me to tell you exactly what to expect but I'd imagine that using simple coils and Cellucotton that the break in time would be nonexistent
Interesting, hadn't thought of it that way. Always assumed the off taste was the small loose wick fibers singeing off during break in.
My method for break in has always been to douse the wicked coil, fire it while blowing on it until the wick dries out a bit and repeat a half a dozen times. There is usually no perceivable off taste after that.

Definitely going to try your method though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread