Shopping days left until Deem date- countdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
alien Traveler" data-source="post: 18238617" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
alien Traveler said:
. . . I was trying to clean my garage about a month ago, found a double deck recorder, 30 years old, plugged it in, and it worked.

Hee hee, Alien Traveler! FWIW, I still have two ancient Nakamichi cassette decks, and they both function just fine. In fact, most of my stereo electronics are well over 30 years old.

But that Golden Age stuff's electronics is mostly discrete components, large and well spread apart on their circuit boards to avoid heat and moisture buildup. What's in a regulated mod is tiny integrated circuits. And humidity is going to affect those little guys much more than it affects discrete transistors/resistors/capacitors.

Silica gel packets are cheap insurance: only about a nickel each via amazon.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
Hee hee, Alien Traveler! FWIW, I still have two ancient Nakamichi cassette decks, and they both function just fine. In fact, most of my stereo electronics are well over 30 years old.

But that Golden Age stuff's electronics is mostly discrete components, large and well spread apart on their circuit boards to avoid heat and moisture buildup. What's in a regulated mod is tiny integrated circuits. And humidity is going to affect those little guys much more than it affects discrete transistors/resistors/capacitors.

Silica gel packets are cheap insurance: only about a nickel each via amazon.
I think in exact opposite way. Old electronics has much more open connections, which can be subject to corrosion. New electronics is much more integrated, much less left outside.

Vandal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2009
NE Ohio
I used silca gel packets for all my mods now since we just don't know what will be available in our future. But I did store my Provari mini in a baggie for years with no extra care and it still works :)
I discovered you can use silica cat litter as desiccant. DIY packs with tea bags, coffee filters, socks, etc. Use in your camera bags, ammo cans, etc. You can also use to prevent your car windows from fogging up in winter (I think a sock is best size for that). 4 pounds for $4 at Walmart.

avpx1

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2015
I discovered you can use silica cat litter as desiccant. DIY packs with tea bags, coffee filters, socks, etc. Use in your camera bags, ammo cans, etc. You can also use to prevent your car windows from fogging up in winter (I think a sock is best size for that). 4 pounds for $4 at Walmart.
What brand did you find at Walmart? I'd like to give it a try. :)

Reactions: bnrkwest

Vandal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2009
NE Ohio
What brand did you find at Walmart? I'd like to give it a try. :)
I have not tried it yet, but noticed in one of the desiccant pack reviews on Amazon, someone pointed out this less expensive option to desiccant packs. I googled, and sure enough, people are using silica cat litter as desiccant for all manner of things. I googled to find the smallest amount I could buy, and it was 4 lbs at Walmart:

Mimi Litter: Cat Litter, 4 lb - Walmart.com

Reactions: bnrkwest

NC_Fog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2011
Central N.C.
The Mimi litter works. I use it with my camping gear...canvas tents, sleeping bags, etc. I pour some in cotton socks and throw in a few as I roll up my gear. I don't see it damaging electronics as long it's not in direct contact, just to be sure.

avpx1

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2015
I have not tried it yet, but noticed in one of the desiccant pack reviews on Amazon, someone pointed out this less expensive option to desiccant packs. I googled, and sure enough, people are using silica cat litter as desiccant for all manner of things. I googled to find the smallest amount I could buy, and it was 4 lbs at Walmart:

Mimi Litter: Cat Litter, 4 lb - Walmart.com
Good to know. I'll get some too. Thanks :)

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
I was going to return my big bag of dessicant packs but amazon wants nearly 1/3 the cost of the pack for return shipping so guess I am keeping them. I would technically still save a little money after buying the cat litter and some tea bags for putting it in but heck with it at this point. in for a penny, in for a pound.

Vandal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2009
NE Ohio
I was going to return my big bag of dessicant packs but amazon wants nearly 1/3 the cost of the pack for return shipping so guess I am keeping them. I would technically still save a little money after buying the cat litter and some tea bags for putting it in but heck with it at this point. in for a penny, in for a pound.
Well, unless you recondition them you'll have to replace them eventually (unless you bought hundreds, but even then, I've read they can still be absorbing away even in a sealed pack and will have to be tossed or reconditioned). Then you can go the litter route. Good to have things for future reference.

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
13 days, I hope all my last minute stuff arrives before 8-8!
Got my CF Mod.. me like, and some tobacco flavorings and some ejuice. Think I'm near the end of my shopping. Feel pretty good about what I have purchased. Didn't go completely crazy, stayed within my budget and got things I know I will use.

house mouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
BFE
I think I've hit the end of the road.:thumb:I'm waiting on the wraps I bought at Provape to come in and a few more rebuildable heads I picked up for a tank I've got. I am planning on getting 2 more of my older REOs into the mail this week to get the upgraded contacts and connector put in them. I did a couple of them already in May and figured I'd toss 2 more in the mail this week to get them up to snuff before/if things go crazy. Other than that I'm battening down the hatches here. Of course, I'm probably gonna have to sit on those hatches to get the lids to close. :lol:

Jibbu

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2012
Denver, CO, USA
Hi everyone. I'm going cross-eyed trying to find some info I suspect doesn't exist in the way I want it, so I thought I'd ask for someone to double-check my thinking:

I use just VG-based Nic with food-grade (Kosher, etc) VG in a bottom coil clearo on eGo-styled batteries. When I use a different clearo I just keep my liquid up onto the wicks. I stopped using any flavorings to get rid of a breathing issue I just developed several months ago.

I have clearo's on the way, but my usual source blanked his site and won't answer my emails. And I'm pretty sure the nicotine I have now will last maybe 3 or 4 months. After reading all the safety stuff I decided quite some time ago that I'm not a good candidate for the fancy stuff since I don't want to blow up the neighborhood ;)

So I'm thinking I should be able to learn re-coiling the clearo's, get as much Nic as I dare, considering I have little storage space *and* I'm getting ready to move to Denver from Central FL., and track down instructions for an AVP I impulse-purchased along with an 18650 with charger. I don't know about your flying experiences, but my liquids always take a quality "hit" in Cargo, though it's not too bad. My concern will be the TSA at the end of October in the Orlando airport. If their dogs get re-trained for nicotine I won't get through like I usually do.

I know this is confusing and messed up. I ask understanding for non-medicated ADD (not by choice) and massive thought confusion trying to pin down the simplest way to deal with all of this. Oh, yes, I would have prepared earlier, but I've just returned from several months of helping my mom after her heart valve replacement, and I couldn't get any space in the freezer at her house allocated to my nicotine. But I might get some space at the back of the fridge after I move in ... maybe.

Anyway, will someone please tell me if my thinking is OK, that all I really need is nicotine and VG if I can learn to re-coil my clearo's? Waitasec - are wire and wicks a problem, too? I know what to order on the wicks, but for 2.4 Ohms which size (Kanthal, right?) wire should I get? I promise not to try anything until I have somebody on Skype or something. Actually, I'll be living near all those smelly dispensaries, so I should be able to find a human supervisor (I might have to buy a brownie, but I'll survive).

Thanks ever so much for reading this. I don't post much, and when I do it's usually because I've already tried and gotten confused. Panic comes next if I don't reach out. And I'm reaching!

EDIT: I picked this thread specifically because you all have been through it all already and are quite calm and cheerful. I like that! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread