Vaping and dehydration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
so to make this clear its actually a false symtom that we're dehydrating?it's best to hydrate more IMO!

This is nt a great analogy but if you suck a menthol sweet your mouth will feel cold, but it isnt actually any colder.

Do what feels confortable. The thing is we shouldnt tell people they must drink lots of extra water.

YOu need to take care of fluid intake when sweating (e.g. exercising, flu, hot weather, especially dry heat when fluid loss is less noticeable, dehydrated through alcaholic indulgence).

I.e. you need more when you lose more. vaping doesn't cause water loss, just a feeling of dryness in some people.

Last edited:
Drinking water is still the best solution for dehydration.

Indeed, by definition.

But 'dry' mouth does not equal dehydration.

We breathe out water all the time; it is not caused by, or increased by, vaping.

Some of that water is produced by respiration, the conversion of food (notably glucose) into energy; the by-products are carbon dioxide and water. So in fact we give out more water than we (directly) take in.

madjack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2011
Central Louisiana
Indeed, by definition.

But 'dry' mouth does not equal dehydration.

We breathe out water all the time; it is not caused by, or increased by, vaping.

Some of that water is produced by respiration, the conversion of food (notably glucose) into energy; the by-products are carbon dioxide and water. So in fact we give out more water than we (directly) take in.

...once again, respectfully, I think your wrong and vaping does increase dehydration...this is my opinion only, based on personal observation, anecdotal evidence and my readings in the Health section of this forum...like I stated, my opinion only...you state yours as FACT...so, I challenge you to prove it as FACT and to change my opinion(which can be changed with FACTS)................
madjack:2cool:

p.s. just to clarify...PG/VG is a humectant...we take in a mist of PG/VG and this absorbs water from us, which we exhale...if this increase in exhaled water vapor is not offset by an increase in water consumption it will lead to dehydration...prove me wrong.............mj

Last edited:

poolslime

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Colorado
I have to disagree that it's not dehydrating, but I'm no doctor/scientist and can't prove it scientifically. But, when I pay attention to what my body is telling me, I can't write off an extremely dry mouth as a "sensation" of vaping. I think it's also very important to understand that dehydration in and of itself has varying degrees. We do things everyday that cause dehydration, that are normal and part of life, and that is why we drink water to rehydrate. It's a constant cycle. My concern is that vaping may cause an increased level of dehydration, even at rest, that we normally wouldn't experience, and consequently probably aren't used to.

I was last tested a couple weeks ago, and my body water content was measured at around 54%. A bit low, but an improvement from 51% 6 months ago. No, I'm not saying it's because of vaping, just to illustrate that my water content level is below optimum, and could account for such things as increased dry mouth. If you don't experience a dry mouth, you could be at a much higher water content level.

But be that as it may, I can't just chalk it up to a sensation. Even hours after chain vaping (experimental), my mouth is still very dry. If it were a sensation, it should go away naturally. After drinking water for 20 minutes, my mouth feels normal again.

Also, I apologize for not being more clear. I'm in no way trying to imply that vaping causes extreme dehydration and is life threatening in the short term. But based on my own experience and how my body feels while vaping, it is more significant than I knew going in.

I also offer a link from the Mayo Clinic. In particular, look at the symptoms for mild dehydration.

Last edited:
Stick your tongue out while driving a convertible with the top down. If you consider THAT "dehydration" then yes you can say that vaping dehydrates you...if you just consider that having your mouth get dried out a little faster than normal and not the medical condition of dehydration, then vaping doesn't dehydrate you it just dries your mouth and throat. It's not a huge concern, but it is something to be aware of.

madjack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2011
Central Louisiana
yes...and if you spent 18hrs sitting in that convertible with your tongue out, with out taking in any water, you would be dehydrated...thank you for making my point for me...now, whether you would be medically dehydrated to the point of having to have an IV hooked up is another question all together...you can split hairs and even argue semantics but the point remains the same...vaping causes an increased loss of water...IE:dehydration.............

vaping causes an increased loss of water...IE:dehydration.............

That is just not true. The VG/PG vapor condenses with water vapor in the breath/air; the water in the exhaled breath is always there, vaping or not. There is no mechanism by which it could cause an "increased loss of water"; it just doesn't occur.

...once again, respectfully, I think your wrong and vaping does increase dehydration...this is my opinion only, based on personal observation, anecdotal evidence and my readings in the Health section of this forum...like I stated, my opinion only...you state yours as FACT...so, I challenge you to prove it as FACT and to change my opinion(which can be changed with FACTS)................

p.s. just to clarify...PG/VG is a humectant...we take in a mist of PG/VG and this absorbs water from us, which we exhale...if this increase in exhaled water vapor is not offset by an increase in water consumption it will lead to dehydration...prove me wrong.............mj

The VG is dehydrated when vaporised but the water it loses is also in the vapor. So there is no imbalance at input. The water it needs to return to its preferred hydrated state is in the inhaled vapor; there is no imbalance, no need to draw water from the body.

Even if an eliquid's VG was dehydrated (which it is not), the amount of water that say, 3ml of vaping would use for rehydrating would be at most 1ml. That's ~0.3% of the amount of liquid in a soft drink can. It's tiny. Beyond that, there is no other mechanism that could lead to dehydration. I've looked at metabolism of both VG and PG and that also cannot support the dehydration theory. With PG there is perhaps a need to flush out the metabolites but again the amounts involved are so tiny.

Last edited:
...so all of the scientific evidence I have read stating that PG/VG is a humectant and absorbs water is wrong and you are right...as the man said...show me the money!!!!! That's all I am asking...PROVE me wrong and I will acknowledge, bow to your greater acumen and ................

Sure, they are hydrophillic. That's why they will already be hydrated when in the e-liquid.

madjack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2011
Central Louisiana
...show me the money...other than your assertions it exists...when I vape(and others I have talked to) and I do not drink anything, my mouth dehydrates...maybe not medically to the point of needing an IV but it dehydrates none the less...show me the money...even a small increase in water vapor exhaled is dehydration...show me the money...even the Health section of this board states that...show me the money...otherwise, we have a circular debate going here and I for one do not wish to bang my head against that wall...show me the money!!!!!!

p.s. can you show me where PG/VG in their un-atomized state are 60+%water....which I understand is what vapor is comprised of...that water vapor has to come from somewhere...show me where.....mj

Last edited:
...show me the money...other than your assertions it exists...when I vape(and others I have talked to) and I do not drink anything, my mouth dehydrates...maybe not medically to the point of needing an IV but it dehydrates none the less...show me the money...even a small increase in water vapor exhaled is dehydration...show me the money...even the Health section of this board states that...show me the money...otherwise, we have a circular debate going here and I for one do not wish to bang my head against that wall...show me the money!!!!!!

p.s. can you show me where PG/VG in their un-atomized state are 60+%water....which I understand is what vapor is comprised of...that water vapor has to come from somewhere...show me where.....mj

That includes normal exhalation of water (vaping or not), which we replace with food and drinks.

Last edited:

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
The use of an e-cig does not substantially change the bodies balance of water .. when you exhale, you are expelling the residual VG/VG you initially inhaled .. that vapor does not carry any greater water content than normal breathing ..

The initial withdrawal from analogs relates more to dehydration than the use of the e-cig .. by far .. just like any addict ..

At any rate, water is good for you, and drinking more of it is not a bad idea, no matter what your puffing on ..

I explained it already. The PG/VG in the e-liquid is already hydrated, so the amount of water needed to rehydrate the PG/VG vapor is also in the overall vapor.

With VG there would be a slight (inconsequential) water credit to the body (through metabolism to glucose and the respiration of that glucose).

With PG, some water might be used to flush out the metabolites (pyruvic, acetic and lactic acids). This would cause, at maximum, a deficit of 1% (10-20ml) - just a few teaspoons of water.

Last edited:

DaBatMan

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Wayne Manor
Drink tons of water. PG is the worst to dehydrate you. Cramps will creep up when you least expect them too or other weird symptoms will occur. Stay away from caffeine as much as possible because it will dehydrate you also (I'm guilty of not following my own advice..I drink coffee in the morning).

Man... I developed a cramp the other night that awaken me out of my sleep. I hobbled around the floor for a while stretching and everything else. I must say, I've been vaping for about a month and haven't had a cramp like that in the middle of my sleep since my old ball playing days many moons ago.

Exactly.

Stating it as dehydration is to attach a misrepresentation with an underserved negative connotation to vaping.

Luckily, I don't get a dry mouth from vaping. But I do sometimes after drinking water - probably when the mineral content is high and after an acidic meal. So I might have a coffe or tea, say, to take away that dry taste. I wouldn't say that the water had dehydrated me!

I'm no expert here but I tend to agree with the notion that vaping does increase water loss. As mentioned above I haven't had a cramp in years. The only thing that has changed in my daily routine is vaping intead of smoking. I hadn't been drinking a lot of water but will most definitely do so now. I did drink a consistant amount of water during my first couple of weeks vaping and I felt great. Then, I guess it became less important to me as I'd chose to go with the pre-game brew while watching the games. After that cramp... it's back to water for me.

Last edited:

Jackiej5407

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2011
Houston, TX
Oh yeah, DaBatMan ... I also experienced a deep calf muscle cramp in the middle of the night a while back after not drinking enough water during the day. YEOW ... my calf muscle was sore the next entire day, and it was a LONG TIME before I could get that cramp to "let go" that night. It was deep! So let these other guys post on to their hearts content ... I personally feel it necessary to up the water intake as a vapor!

DaBatMan

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Wayne Manor
Yep... and it was in a place that I've never really gotten a cramp before. Not quite the calf but not really the hamstring either... somewhere in between (seemed like the back of my knee but it wasn't) I can't describe it. I was like wtf... in any event, I'll just keep my h2o intake up especially while vaping (which is like all the time now).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread