ZFM Zero Filler Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

rejoice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2008
USA KY
Got it fixed for the 510 and it works great so far. No flooding or burnt taste. The 510 is not my favorite e cig. Hate the battery life,so I have been sitting at computer with USB. I tried to make this for the 801 and the silicone cap is much to thin for me to work with.
I get it cut and than try to make the hole and tire it up. Tried many times and I cannot get this to work. Next will try the 901, if I can find any caps.

Pete54

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2009
Clearwater, Florida
OK, trying this now. so far, no leaks or flooding. Was definitely pretty easy - I used a sharp utility knife. I recommend cutting it a little big and trimming to fit. If you cut it too small, you can't fix it! LOL

I found one part of my pointy tweezers pushed into the X pops the plug right out for refilling, but I think now is the time to order those needle-tip bottles! I like how these look, because you can cut the tip as wide as you need it for the viscosity of your liquid:

3188-NeedleBottle.jpg
Where do you order these, please.

codfish124

ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2009
Lakewood Co USA
to rejoice: this is how iv been doing it with my 801's and works great.

coat the end of the cart just the tip in glue that u deam safe. i use superglue as i don't really care if it gets in to me because when it is dry its hard to get in to the juice.

after that then slip the cap over the cart let it dry. when it is dry cut around the outside and remove the lip poak a hole right in the middle. 1 hole has been working good for me as on this lets call it the drum mod the atty bridge pushed up on the silicone making the hole bigger and when your done or going to sleep you can take the cart out and it will not leak.

anim8r

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2009
DC
You guys should just drill a bunch of 16th of an inch diameter holes in the plug to make it like a shower head. I'm sure all the plug is doing is acting like a slow leaking fauset.

Your making a hole in a plug that supposivly the atty bridge is touching and sucking juice threw.. when all its doing is either blocking the hole and theres a slight crack peeking threw for the jucie to drip.. too much of an opening exposed and its flooding the atty as its coming threw too fast.

You'd be better off trying to figure out how to get the bridge all the way into the plug so its making contact with the juice.. have it somewhat sealed around the bridge but still juice is gota get through somehow to the wick and down to the coil.

I'd try it but.. logic is telling me its a slow leak and dont waste your time.

The possitive from this mod is we now have a different material to use as a plug that can handle the high heat.. i've played with the cap with high voltage and it seems to handle the heat.

Actually i rolled up the sides of the cap into a spiral and shoved it into the cart with it resting on the inner lips and it worked as a plug with the opening in the middle of the spiral for the bridge to hold and the juice to flow. Worked ok.. though refilling was impossable without removing it.

Isn't that the point of ALL cart mods?

Just curious about what you think everyone is trying to achieve with any cart mod.

Perfection would be a slow enough leak (or transfer of fluid from one medium to another) that your atty requires to stay saturated without getting soaked. This mod seems to hit the mark with a bullseye.

This isn't to say others aren't having equal success with other mods, but prep on this one is a freakin' snap, and if you use the self-sealing "X" cut, you can store your extra (pre-filled) carts upside down while you build more without having any of them leak.

The atty pushes up through the cap to open up the gap BUT is sealed by the rest of the cap. If the cut is correct (takes a few trials to get it right), it prevents excess liquid from soaking the atty.

AFAICT, that ^ would be the logic behind this design.

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
The beauty of RTV silicone is that it is so dern easy to mold. I played with some sheet stock, punches, and the like.. but at the end of the day I'm going to want a molded "cap" that pops in, doesn't rock, is thin in the middle.. and has a hole or a slit or a whatever in the middle. That will be VERY easy to make from liquid RTV, a cut up cart, and a dead atomizer.

Time permitting.. perhaps tonight. Dunno... I've got one of those "wife" things.. and a "kid" thing too.... They tend to get in the way of "me" things.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Where do you order these, please.
I found them here: Paplin Products Scroll down to #3188. You get 6-1oz bottles for $2.99. One ounce is approximately 29.57 ml - so it would hold almost a whole 30ml bottle of liquid!

But you can also Google "needle tip bottle" and search by images to find all sorts of needle-tip bottles. There were some for glue applications, oil and paint applications. Some had actual metal needles in them. I liked these plastic ones, because the cap goes on over the tip, unlike some of the metal needle-tip bottles and you can cut it to make the opening wider for thicker liquid. Many of the metal needle bottles are too fine to get PG or VG through.

Last edited:

Natnade

Nov 28, 2009
California
Just tried both the blue foam mod and this one. Blue foam mod is cool but I do get a nasty chemically taste. The hits from this mod however are HUGE if done right. Funny how simple this one is and it works the best, all you need is an exacto knife. Anyone know where I can order some 510 cart lids?

I've tried this on both the flat tip and regular round and both work very well. Props Scottyballs.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Just posted this update on the RSP Thread:

Well, the biggest issue with this RSP mod has been finding the right plug and I think it's finally been found! Using the straw/reservoir principle, Scottyballs has come up with a great 510 plug, just using the silicone cap that comes on the carts!

I've been using it and I think it could be the best plug yet. You just need the straw, scissors and an exacto knife. You'll also probably want to buy some needle-tip bottles for refilling. Check out this mod to see the result and a link for the bottles ($2.99 for 6-29ml bottles)! ZFM Zero Filler Mod

Great job, Scotty - I think you've ended my search for the perfect RSP plug!! Thank you!!

Last edited:

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
To reiterate what somebody else already mentioned.... if you go to your local Walmart or whatever store and go to the cooking utensil section, you will find all kinds of things made of high-temp silicone. Spatulas, sheets, muffin "tins".. the list goes on and on. An excellent source for "sheet" silicone... iffin' you need thicker stock or don't have any cart caps.

(Don't forget the silicone baby bottle nipples!)

Last edited:

pmd

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2009
Boston,MA
Okay, that is friggin brilliant!!! just cut up the tip of the bottle, and it already has the X cut into it!!!! (yes, I am sure the opening on the bottle is too big for a 510 cart, but there is proof of concept right there!)

LOL, I was in a CVS today and was eying the silcone bottle nipples wondering if that would work,didn't buy them though.

Darmeen, do they work as well ?

the86d

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2009
So. California, USA
My daughter has chewed one bottle nipple a bit and I won't give her that one again.

Trash => TREASURE!!!

Gotta bug-bomb the house I just bought (prior owners had dogs, and got the key on lunch today), so I'll have to wait on the "NIPPLE MOD" test until after I get to home (the place I am renting).

Darmeen

ECF Veteran
Nov 3, 2009
TX USA
LOL, I was in a CVS today and was eying the silcone bottle nipples wondering if that would work,didn't buy them though.

Darmeen, do they work as well ?

I think the opening is too big...but what I did pick up on my way home was something similar to this:

rubber-spatula.jpg

(It even said heat resistant on the tag) for $1.75...I just made two plugs and tried them both out (one holding back EcoPure English Toffee and the other holding RY4)...since the material is thicker than the caps, I ditched the straw (and made sure it was pretty tight as I don't want it to just slide in the cart, I want the atty to push it open) did the X cut and hit them both repeatedly for a few minutes...zero gurgling, a TON of flavor, and consistant vapor...

I probably have enough material to make 20-30 plugs easy.

It does take some trial and error (as I found last night while flooding atty's), but when you get one set...you are golden.

(FYI I am using a stock 510 from cignot)...and with the consistancy of my new passthru (well new to me anyway) that was given to me by
vapingkarter54 this morning...I am going to be hurtin tonight!!! :D:lol::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Of course the real test will be when I drain these carts and have to pull the plugs to refill...that always seems to be when my problems really start!

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Of course the real test will be when I drain these carts and have to pull the plugs to refill...that always seems to be when my problems really start!
I refilled earlier and it was really easy. I just poked one side of a pointy tweezers into the hole and popped out the plug. Refilled and then just popped the plug back in by hand, because it's relatively clean, as opposed to the foam/sponge/PTB etc.

Once I get those needle tip bottles, it'll be even easier!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread