►►► Prodigy V1 Troubleshooting Guide ◄◄◄

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorcity57

ECF Veteran
May 11, 2009
I'M RIGHT HERE
couldn't get prodigy to fire, man i was frantic. took it apart about 30 times, " btw, yes those threads do get a lot easier to screw off and on after that" lol. i p.m. steve ready to get it back for problem. he p.m. back within 15 minutes, some things to look for before we start return.

so 1 of his suggestions was to make sure the rear spring was contac the center of the cr batts, well that was it. the batts have plastic that only leaves a small circle area in the center for contac. the prodigy batt housing is a bit larger than the batts.

i have now put a couple wraps of 1 inch duct tape around each batt, which now centers them so the end cap spring always hit the center of the battery.

thank you very much steve for your fast and helpfull service.

have a great day

eskimoroll

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
I just got my PT with 901 and 510 adaptors yesterday and its definitely a nice unit with a really beefy cord. I love the switch and overall I'm impressed. I have built many passthroughs and various mods so the vapor isn't anything new but the build quality is much better than my stuff. I'm a 510 guy now officially as previously I was using the 510 on the road and a 901 with a homemade manual passthough.

I did have an issue with my Janty Dura C atomizer. For whatever reason, it doesn't thread on to the 510 adaptor. Fortunately I have a bunch of spare 510 atomizers which fit but I was surprised that the Janty didn't fit. Strange.

youtubecommercial

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2009
Florida
couldn't get prodigy to fire, man i was frantic. took it apart about 30 times, " btw, yes those threads do get a lot easier to screw off and on after that" lol. i p.m. steve ready to get it back for problem. he p.m. back within 15 minutes, some things to look for before we start return.

so 1 of his suggestions was to make sure the rear spring was contac the center of the cr batts, well that was it. the batts have plastic that only leaves a small circle area in the center for contac. the prodigy batt housing is a bit larger than the batts.

i have now put a couple wraps of 1 inch duct tape around each batt, which now centers them so the end cap spring always hit the center of the battery.

thank you very much steve for your fast and helpfull service.

have a great day

WOW I just went through the same thing, 3 hours of trying to figure out how to fix it. then came on an walla checked the batterys made sure the spring was centered and fired right up..... now you would think after taking out the batterys and putting them back in upteen thousand time I would have got it right :p now I will be more careful when changing out batterys.... Thanks for the fix :)

Tatsur0

Jul 30, 2009
I just got my Prodigy and 2 atomizers have died in 2 days. 1 lasted 1 1/2 days and the other lasted 5 puffs before it stopped heating. I'm on my 3rd (and final) atomizer and worried it's gonna do the same. I've thoroughly drained both atomizers, neither is flooded, and I can't seem to figure this out. I just assume they just burnt out. No unusual conditions like temperature and only 3 drips per use/drain. Has anyone else run into this issue? I really love the hit and went a full day without fiending for a cigarette so I really want to keep using this but am afraid to burn $ on more atomizers.

Tatsur0

Jul 30, 2009
You lil monsters are out of control. I don't know what you guys are doing to your attys but I've yet to go through one with the prodigy. You sure that it is the atty and not either a contact issue with the batteries or adapter...like almost everyone else?

LifeLongJoyRide,
Actually thats the first thing I checked before testing my spare atomizers. It was after I tossed on my 2nd atomizer did I realize it was the atomizer. Of course after 5puffs that one died. My 3rd is still working for the time being. I'd not worry about it and just send these in but I live in Japan and there is no shipping out here so had to spend a decent chunk of change to ship to a friend and have him ship to me.

Mr_Slippery

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2009
I love my Prodigy, so don't misinterpret this as criticism.
We are early adopters here, so some hiccups/tweaking is normal in my view.

Also, I have never seen a company in any industry as transparent and engaged with their end users as Puresmoker.

Could sticky switches be the cause of the rash of atty's dying?

With no visual cue that the unit is "on", the only way to know it has actually stopped is by listening for the lack of "sizzle".

Normally I listen for the sizzle at the beginning of the drag, but not at the end. Plus if you're in a noisy environment, you may never know.

If units continue to run when they release the button, folks might go through a few attys.

So try listening for the sizzle continuing after releasing the button, it may help.

Tatsur0

Jul 30, 2009
Mr_Slippery,
Yeh I made sure my environment was quiet and listened for the sizzle I'm use to. But also this happened 5 puffs into a new atomizer after the first died. I'm checking out RuyandDirect.com and looking to pick up 10 new dse801 atomizers. Hope that this was some crazy unlucky case, cause I really like the prodigy (from what little experience i've had with it these last 2 days). Still curious to hear what others think though first. I'd hate to have to switch back to tobacco :/

Mr_Slippery

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2009
Mr_Slippery,
Yeh I made sure my environment was quiet and listened for the sizzle I'm use to. :/

I assume you meant you listened for the sizzle after you released the button?

Hm, thought I was on to something there.

I will say that my sticky switch has caused me no ill effects, other than stressing me out a bit.

I still think listening for the sizzle before and after the drag is a good safe practice for new Prodigy users. Just to be sure, plus it can help rule the switch out as a cause while troubleshooting.

Yeh I made sure my environment was quiet and listened for the sizzle I'm use to.
Here's a thread that taught me how to use a multimeter to test my attys. No
more guesswork!

In case it's a connection problem, this mod might work. Haven't tried it myself yet, but it seems to have gotten rave reviews!

Cheers,

~~Cheryl

P.S. Oops, I think I gave you the wrong mod. There was one for the Prodigy that involved improving the connection between the battery and the cover. But I can't find it now... :(

Last edited:

gjrhine

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2009
Sunny South Carolina
P.S. Oops, I think I gave you the wrong mod. There was one for the Prodigy that involved improving the connection between the battery and the cover. But I can't find it now... :(

One way is to slightly squeeze the spring with pliers while making sure there is still enough contact with the battery.

shivadance

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Nebraska, USA
Hi all! Looking for some help/advice on my issue.

First day, my Prodigy vaped like a champ! Never knew the vape tasted/smelled so good until the Prodigy. It was blissful. :)

Then I started occasionally getting a burning smell. Then the burning became a constant. This was with the 901 adapter.

I've since tried the 510 adapter and have the same issue now with both adapters. The second after I press the button the attys glow red inside and smell like they're being burnt. As soon as I let up off the button it stops. So I haven't blown an atty yet. The attys are plenty wet.

I've taken everything apart and checked for gunk or whatnot, no issues. The only thing I haven't done is used the 2nd set of batteries. They're charging now. I'll check as soon as they're done.

Anything else I can check? Are the batts the likely issue? Anything to look for on the resistor?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Casey@PS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2009
Nashvegas
www.OurSongForever.com
Hey Shiva,

A few things to check:

1. Go to the thread below this one that says "Prodigy and PT owners please read" and compare your atomizers and adapters with the ones in the thread. Let me know if any of them look like the ones in the thread.
2. Pull out the switch- does the resistor (the blue thing on the side) look burnt? Is it blue?
3. Try wiping down all of the threads on the adapters.

Get back to me, and let me know how this goes.

shivadance

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Nebraska, USA
Hey Shiva,

A few things to check:

1. Go to the thread below this one that says "Prodigy and PT owners please read" and compare your atomizers and adapters with the ones in the thread. Let me know if any of them look like the ones in the thread.
2. Pull out the switch- does the resistor (the blue thing on the side) look burnt? Is it blue?
3. Try wiping down all of the threads on the adapters.

Get back to me, and let me know how this goes.

Casey, thanks for the quick response!

1. Gasket is present on the attys, delrin looks good on the adapters.
3. I've wiped everything down, no change from the issue.
2. Resistor is blue, here's a pic:

shivadance-albums-profile-pics-picture2167-prodigy-resistor.jpg

Still waiting for 2nd set of batts to charge.

Thanks!

shivadance

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Nebraska, USA
Hey Shiva,

I'd recommend not using the same atomizer on the new batts, and see what happens. Also, is the resistor touching the inside of the tube?

Yup, on the right side of the resistor when I try to slip a piece of paper between it and the rubber top I meet resistance. Do I need to adjust the resistor down so it does not touch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread