YNN contacted me and want to use my story!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogie

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2010
Coventry, NY
After I had seen the way the story about ecigs was done on YNN news, I emailed the station and let them know what I did not like about how it was done. First they interviewed someone who works in a tobacco store and who obviously does not care or know much about ecigs. The reporter also seemed to have already fromed a negative oppinion of them as well. Here is what I sent:

First email:
I wasted my time thinking you would be objective and do a little research on electronic cigarettes. The reporter obviously had already formed her oppinion and you selected a tobacco store to report from. The person you spoke with did not have accurate information and seemed to not really care about the electronic cigarettes. Tobacco stores sell TOBACCO! Ecigarettes are a VERY minor sales item. They promote TOBACCO!

It seems you believe what the FDA says. Are you aware that the FDA gets major funding from pharmaceutical industry? It used to be the US treasury – not anymore. And the fact that they regulate tobacco on top of the ties to BIG Pharma creates a double conflict of interest. When people leave the FDA they almost ALWAYS go to work for the pharmaceutical companies.

One of the things said a lot is that the ecigarette comes in flavors that will appeal to children. Well, so does alcohol! Rum, brandy and others come in many of the same flavors.

At least the uninformed tobacco store person got it right when the reporter tried to say (just as many others do) that kids are buying them. As the employee stated, they must be 18 or older to purchase. Online a credit card is needed and they also state you have to be at least 18 years old to enter the site and purchase. Also kids do not have credit cards as a rule.

The way you handled this story makes me think differently about how you present other stories. I will go back to getting my news from PBS and online sources. You are not my news source anymore. At the end of the month I am turning in my cable box. I do not really watch TV anymore anyway due to the JUNK that is on nowadays. I did think that YNN was a good source before this and watched it every day to get local news and weather. You have lost a viewer!

Gary Teed

he replied with this:

Hello Gary and thanks for your note and the feedback. We are sorry you were disappointed by this story. To be honest, it was produced by our sister station in Albany, and I had not seen it until your note directed me to it. After viewing it, I understand and respect your concerns. However, I really don’t think our story took a position one way or the other on the proposed e-cigarette ban. I think Sabina’s choice of the tobacco store owner was actually a pretty good one, provided you accept the woman’s assertion that e-cigarettes have become a major product line for her. She’ll apparently continue to make money whether or not the ban goes through, so in that respect I think she provided an objective view of this product’s current position in the marketplace. And I really think that’s all this story set out to do, given that e-cigarettes are a very new product and many people have no idea what they are or how they work.

Regardless of all that, I do respect your opinion and concern over this story, and I can assure you we do listen to and embrace this kind of viewer feedback. It’s how we get better at what we do. I hope we do not lose you as a YNN viewer, but if that happens I will also respect that decision. Thanks again for taking the time to write.

Ron Lombard
General Manager & News Director
YNN – Central NY / Northern NY / Southern Tier

Ron,

thank you for replying to me in the manner you did. It was a much better reply than what I have gotten from others.

I should also clarify a bit more my comment about flavors. Many cling to the idea that all the flavors available for ecigs are to attract kids. Like I said alcohol comes in many of the same flavors. The people who bring this up make me feel that they are saying that we as adults do not like these flavors. The alcohol example shoots that down. Distillerys use this as a marketing tool to sell their “goods” as it were. I like strawberry and cherry and flavors like these and buy my ice cream accordingly. Also other foods. This is a lame attack in my oppinion. I do not drink but, I would not attack other people’s right to use it.

At a tobacco store near me in Sidney I asked about ecigs when I first heard about them and wanted to know more. I found that they were dismissive and knew very little about them. They basically pointed to the 2 that they have and said nothing more. I have found in my research there is a lot of information if you look in the right places. I have never been to a mall kiosk.

I am a 54 year old man who smoked for almost 40 years. I tried, unsuccessfully, to quit many times using all the “approved” methods. None worked for me. The day I started using my personal vaporizer (ecig) is the last day I smoked a cigarette. That was 6 weeks ago. I feel better, my cough is gone, I smell better, and taste things MUCH better. I am a singer and find my voice is getting stronger and that I do not tire as quickly when I do sing. In my reading the NRT offered to quit is a dismal failure with a 93% failure rate (which makes me feel less of a loser for failing as well) and yet it is pushed heavily by many as the ONLY way to quit. Well, something new has come around and is challenging the currently held notions. It needs to be looked into further rather than simply banned.

It is not being marketed as a smoking cessation device but rather a better option that does not have all the negative chemicals that cigarette smoke does. Cigarette smoke contains over 4000 chemicals that are known with many being known cancer causing agents. Ecigs have very little. And the ones they do have are comparable to the levels found in NRT (Nicotine Reduction Therapy) IE the patch and gum and those are due to the nicotine. Many find they do end up quitting. I hope to be off nicotine by summer at the latest. I am already lowering the amount in mine with the “juice” I buy. I am now at 12mg (the highest is 36mg I think). I started at 24mg. The only things in an ecig are propylene glycol, food grade flavoring, and nicotine. Some use vegetable glycerin instead of glycol or a mix of the two. PG is used in foods, medicines, cosmetics, toothpaste and many other things. The nicotine is plant based extracted from tobacco and is the same as used in the patch and gum (FDA approved).

My statement that I am turning in my cable box is not completely due to the story. I am fed up with TV content these days. Far too much advertising and I am no fan of the current trend to “Reality TV”. I do currently use YNN as my weather and local news source. And I like the fact that you show commercials for local businesses. Cable TV is so expensive especially with how little I use it. I am finding it hard to justify the cost. I am on a fixed income. I am on disabilty due to my health (I have kidney disease). I do miss my old job working for Northwest Airlines where I worked for 27 years.

again, thank you for the nice reply
Gary Teed

He replied to this email as well:

And thank you Gary for your reply. That’s great perspective for us to have on what will obviously be a continuing story and a controversial issue. You have a compelling story to tell about e-cigs that could add a lot of dimension to our coverage. With no obligation either way of course, we’d love to offer you the opportunity to do a story with us about your experiences with e-cigs. No harm no foul either way, but if you are interested let me know and I can get a reporter in touch with you. Thanks again for the communication back and forth and for offering your thoughts. Ron

Ron Lombard
General Manager & News Director
YNN – Central NY / Northern NY / Southern Tier

I have not gotten back to him about taking with a reporter. I am still learning and new to this. I do not want to hurt the effort to fight the ban.

Last edited:

ahardrain

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2010
NY
If you can get in TV by all means go for it. I am sure everyone here will help on what points should be brought up. Here is the link to the YNN story here in Albany and as you can see there was no help in letting the reporter know what exactly is in the e-cig other than nic. Here is the video link for those that want to view it. YNN E-CIG Story

Hogie

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2010
Coventry, NY
I have been digging constantly and reading as much as I can find. I just do not want to be ambushed as I have heard happens with the news media. This guy does sound to be objective. I have learned not to present it as a smoking cessation device.

I see one mistake i did make by calling NRT Nicotine Reduction Therapy.....I know, I know.....
It is Nicotine replacement therapy

It is called a brain fart! (when you get to be my age, it is allowed!) ;)

I guess sometimes it pays to get fired up!

Last edited:

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
I have been digging constantly and reading as much as I can find. I just do not want to be ambushed as I have heard happens with the news media. This guy does sound to be objective. I have learned not to present it as a smoking cessation device.

I see one mistake i did make by calling NRT Nicotine Reduction Therapy.....I know, I know.....
It is Nicotine replacement therapy

It is called a brain fart! (when you get to be my age, it is allowed!) ;)

I guess sometimes it pays to get fired up!

Actually, Nicotine Reduction Therapy is more accurate than Replacement. Why? The vast majority of the medical community believes that the problem is nicotine. Therefore the goal of the "smoking cessation" treatments is to attain total nicotine cessation. Some e-cigarette users have a goal of ending their use of nicotine, but many e-cigarette users do not want to give up nicotine. They only want to be able to give up the health hazards of inhaling smoike. And smoke is the problem, not nicotine.

Nicotine is not 100% free of health hazards, but 99% of the "tobacco-related health risks" are caused by inhaling smoke. So it would be much more accurate to speak of these of "smoking-related health risks." Calling them "tobacco-related" gives the false impression that all forms of tobacco are equally hazardous. Another statement that you will find on many government and health organization sites is "There is no safe form of tobacco." They are implying that no form of tobacco is any safer than smoking, and that is patently untrue.

When you switch to any form of smoke-free alternatives, you immediately eliminate the risks of lung disease. The tar and particulates in smoke are the major lung-cloggers. You greatly reduce the risks of heart attacks, strokes, and cancers because burning tobacco creates 4,000 new chemical compounds, many of which are toxic or carcinogenic. The main cancer risks come from the number and type of carcinogens found in the raw tobacco. The Swedes figured out a way to process tobacco so that the number of Tobacco-specific Nitrosamines (TSNAs) is greatly reduced. The interesting thing is that smokers who switch to Swedish snus live just as long as smokers who quit all forms of tobacco, yet snus is often quite higher in nicotine than other smokeless products. So obviously it is not the nicotine content that presents health hazards.

E-cigarettes are even lower in TSNAs, because they do not contain whole tobacco, but rather nicotine extracted from tobacco and purified, just like the nicotine found in FDA-approved NRTs. In fact, the amount of TSNAs in a milliliter of 16-18 mg e-cigarette liquid is only 8 nanograms--which is approximately equal to the amount of TSNAs in an FDA-approved nicotine patch. TSNAs, by the way, are the "carcinogens" referred to in the 2009 FDA press release. Very misleading--because the odds of getting cancer from 8 ng. of TSNAs are slim to none.

A very concise information sheet about e-cigarettes and the issues we are fighting can be found in the one-page CASAA Position Statement on e-cigarettes. http://www.casaa.org/files/CASAA Position Statement.pdf

Last edited:

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Gary, CASAA also recently helped prepare a vendor for a TV interview in San Francisco and would like to assist you, as well. It's very important that we work to not only get accurate information out there, but give strategic comments and compelling arguments to deflect the comments we know the antis will make - probably in the same segment. I would like the opportunity to discuss this with you. Can you PM me your phone number so we may talk?

Brewlady

ECF Veteran
Verified Member

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
:thumbs: to you, my man!!!!!:) Good luck with the interview -- Just saw a new story on ABCnews.com about them.......How Safe Are E-Cigarettes? - ABC News -- who the hell is this Talbot character?!?!?!?!?:grr:

Prue Talbot has been described as both a "cell biologist" or a "toxicologist". She a professor at University of California Riverside. She has published two articles on e-cigs. One was a review of several brands citing the shortcomings of the products (cartridges leak, incomplete labeling, etc.) The other reported on using a smoking machine with an e-cigarette and it complained that the machines had to suck harder to get vapor out after a while. The Tobacco Harm Reduction Org has commented on her work: Spilling nicotine: safety concern or clumsy researchers? « Tobacco Harm Reduction: News & Opinions

So has Ashtray Blog: » Prue Talbot, junk science and electronic cigarettes - Ashtray Blog: An Electronic Cigarette Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread