510 is a chicken!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

foebea

ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2009
ohio
I go through attomizers pretty frequently, they seem to last on my 501 for about a week to 2 weeks. I've not had one actually die, they just fade in quality. When the taste or the vapor reaches a certain level I am prone to reach for a certain analog. With my juice cost down to pennies a day, I am satisfied with five bucks a week on atty (very heavy use). I've done all the cleaning methods, but they dont seem to bring anything back to it. I'm saving my monies for a good passthrough just in case that makes a difference, but if not I'm fine with shelving used attys for later cleaning attempts.

I started with an 801, i've tried many attys from various sellers on it and it was in itself enough to get me off cigs, but always fails when confronted with the 501.

Is the prodigy or protege a higher voltage thing than the stock 501 batteries? I may have to give them a shot. I have a 501 adapter i use on my VP2 which is 3.7v, though I notice no difference in use other than battery life.

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
So, is nobody going to confess to which brands they've had good or bad experiences with????

I honestly can't remember. It's been awhile since I've gotten a poor one, and I've purchase atomizers from so many places. I do remember getting a couple of bad ones from Janty, but they immediately replaced under warranty with no hassles, and the replacements worked great. Seems to me I got a few bad ones elsewhere, but I just can't remember.

Lately, I've stocked up on quite a few from PureSmoker (in bulk) and they've been doing fine.

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
I stopped using 3pc models period, although when I did I preferred the taste and hit of the m401 over my 510, I never understood all the 510 fans. In my opinion it was crap, a poor design that one had to play with and mod before enjoying the experience of using it. The carts don't last long and I don't want to spend all day fiddling with something every time I wanted to vape. When you get tired of playing around check out the KR808D-1 or better yet the GreenCig and you will be putting those 510's in a drawer or away to friends and strangers.

Dead wrong.

EtherMagic

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2009
I just don't get how some folks Atty's only last a week or 2, what in the world are these people doing with em to make them die so quickly???!!! I only had 1 Atty fail me in 4 months of vaping my 510, I actually got it back up and running after it died, but then experimented with it by taking it apart. I started off on 2 main Attys beginning of August, one died and the other is still vapin like a champ!

I never use carts, I only drip, and I no longer clean my Atty's, I leave as is.

I don't use carts, I use to. One day back in July I was cleaning out one of my Atty's on my m402 and this brown drippy crap came out of the atty that I used carts on, the other Atty in which I drip had none of this brown stuff.

I honestly feel dripping prolongs the life of the Atty. I also flood the Atty on purpose sometimes to make sure it's as moist as possible, I never let my Atty's get dried-up.

Last edited:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Dead wrong.

I just found that out today. Got a KR808D-1 to try. A 280mAh batt with an 8 second cutoff - it's 5 seconds actually, and I just put it on the charger after 2 hours of use on a full charge. [edit: over two hours to charge the thing....] I get close to 4 hrs on the 510 megas. The cartomizer which has the perfumey dekang cappuccino is still going, but the vapor is inconsistent - it seems good on an initial hit but I'm hitting the cutoff on every drag. Then the follow up draw the vapor is thin. Wait awhile.... and then then next drag the vapor is good again - nowhere a new mega 510 batt hit or a bartleby, but close to a regular 510 battery, but even the regular 510 batt/atty is more consistent.

At least I didn't get a kit - so I'm out the price of a battery and 3 sets of carts, which I'll be trying on mods rather than the KR808 batt that cuts off of getting a good vape.

Frankly, I can't see the point of how this would be 'good' and less hassle for a newbie or even an older person as some have claimed. If someone has palsy, parkinson's or a bad case of arthritis, I might agree.

Last edited:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I've lost one 510 atty in over 5 months. It was a dietsmokes 'red scorpion' the other 3 I have in rotation are doing fine. I have attys from TW, heaven gifts, altsmoke, innovapor, janty, ecigxpress - all doing well except one where I pulled some atty wicking out by mistake - that is a Janty gold band but a TAWA. (no warranty). I still use it though - just doesn't perform like the rest.

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
I just found that out today. Got a KR808D-1 to try. A 280mAh batt with an 8 second cutoff - it's 5 seconds actually, and I just put it on the charger after 2 hours of use on a full charge. I get close to 4 hrs on the 510 megas. The cartomizer which has the perfumey dekang cappuccino is still going, but the vapor is inconsistent - it seems good on an initial hit but I'm hitting the cutoff on every drag. Then the follow up draw the vapor is thin. Wait awhile.... and then then next drag the vapor is good again - nowhere a new mega 510 batt hit or a bartleby, but close to a regular 510 battery, but even the regular 510 batt/atty is more consistent.

At least I didn't get a kit - so I'm out the price of a battery and 3 sets of carts, which I'll be trying on mods rather than the KR808 batt that cuts off of getting a good vape.

Frankly, I can't see the point of how this would be 'good' and less hassle for a newbie or even an older person as some have claimed. If someone has palsy, parkinson's or a bad case of arthritis, I might agree.

Oh, Kent, that's so disappointing! I do not have 510 mega batteries, so I can't compare. For me, I'm finding about 3 1/2 to 4 hours on a single charge for the KR808D-1 "regular" battery (but I'm not chain vaping). I have one battery performing better than the other. The good battery produces adequate (although not great) vapor, but the throat hit is fine. The poorer performing battery produces inadequate vapor, but the throat hit is likewise fine. Of course, if you're using a 36 mg cart, it's hard not to get a throat hit. :oops:

Also, if it's not "warmed up," I run it to the cut-off, then depress again, so for me, the initial 5-second cut-off is probably more analogous to a primer puff. :)

I've put both batteries through their paces for the last several days, and I'm pretty clear that one isn't as good as the other, so that one will be exchanged under warranty. Perhaps we're seeing more inconsistency in quality than we should? I remember a time when we were seeing wide inconsistencies in 510 battery life. I was very jealous hearing of people getting 4 hours or more on a "regular" 510 battery, when I was struggling to get much more than an 1 1/2 hours.

I definitely find that I get much, much better performance from a cartomizer on 3.7 volts and higher, but, then, that's pretty much the case with everything.

For me, the most important thing is my sister is happy. Being able to go hours without messing with liquid is huge for her. Not flooding the atomizer is likewise important. So I'm still sold on this set up for beginners. I pulled out an unmodded 510 cart and threw it on a "regular" 510 battery. The first 15 minutes of vaping was great . . . and then it was time to add liquid.

Hellen A. Handbasket

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2009
San Tan Valley, Arizona
As I said earlier, there seems to be a major quality control issue with 510s,or at least different quality / performance between different brands.

Not sure how it could be worked out, but I would like to see something like a poll for experience with different 510s

Dura ...........Good.........Bad
Yeti.............Good.........Bad
Titan...........Good.........Bad
etc....

To see if a pattern emerges.

I see countless posts every day waxing lyrical about how good 510s are , but all I got was disappointment. Did I have 6 dud e-cigs? Or are 401s just better than 510s? Is there a correlation between brand & performance? Any other comments on the performance of 510s
It is my understanding that all of the above are manufactured by Joye and branded for Janty, AltSmoke and Totally Wicked (please correct me if I'm wrong!). So I'm thinking it is hard to compare when it all comes from the same place. There will be a few duds or perhaps a run of bad product that goes out. Happens.

The other makers of 510 model types are Sailebao, Jieshibao and Boge. May be others but I don't know of them off hand. The interior of the atty is the key to identify those. I don't think anyone marks them for identification (Sailebao usually puts SLB on their other models, but not these?). Some say these compatible model types work great, others have complained. Hard to say if they are better/worse. I don't find it any different than the DSE801 compared to a RN4072... different way the atty is made for a similar/compatible model. I would like to know what I'm getting when I make a purchase, however. I wish manufacturers would mark their products.

That said, the majority of mine are all direct from Joye, and I have yet to kill a 510 atomizer. I bought 5 from Boge to try out. I tried out one quickly and it seems fine. I need to really give it a go, but I have an atomizer running now that is acting magical, so I'm sticking with it (great billowing vapor). ha

I recently had one that started to taste burned after a few months. Tried soaking it 2 times in EverClear with no luck. Finally boiled the hell out of it in the microwave covered with water. A small rectangular piece of an odd thin brown paper like fiber came out of it (looked like a flat sliver of natural straw, not the twisted fiber we normally see) with some black specs of crud floating about. Has run fine ever since and the burned taste is gone.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
The cartomizer which has the perfumey dekang cappuccino is still going, but the vapor is inconsistent - it seems good on an initial hit but I'm hitting the cutoff on every drag. Then the follow up draw the vapor is thin. Wait awhile.... and then then next drag the vapor is good again.
That sounds suspiciously close to being a wicking issue.

The only reason I wanted to try a KR808D-1 is to solve wicking issues.
So I bought a 510 to KR808D-1 adapter and will soon be trying the cartomizers with 510 batteries.

If I have wicking trouble with the cartomizers, the 510 is going to come out the winner.
At least with those I can beat the wicking problems with blue foam or the ADP mod.

Last edited:

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
That sounds suspiciously close to being a wicking issue.

The only reason I wanted to try a KR808D-1 is to solve wicking issues.
So I bought a 510 to KR808D-1 adapter and will soon be trying the cartomizers with 510 batteries.

If I have wicking trouble with the cartomizers, the 510 is going to come out the winner.
At least with those I can beat the wicking problems with blue foam or the ADP mod.

I've NEVER been able to get the level of vapor out of a KR808D-1 that I consistently get with the 510. And that's using the same liquid. But.... that's kinda to be expected. The KR808D-1 is, after all, a 3+ Ohm device.

The other problem with the KR... once again, in my opinion.. is the very nasty habit that it has of burning/melting the interior poly. That material is in direct contact with the coil, and if it gets dry it's "toast". Not only does that ruin the cartomizer.. but I don't like the concept of inhaling that either.

I certainly had to give the KR the "convenience thumbs up".... that was until ADP and straw-plug mods came along. With those I get "cartomizer convenience" out of my 510..... and plug-cartridges are a heckuva lot easier/faster to refill than cartomizers.

Slickstick

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I have only owned or seen 3 kinds. Thick gold band with TW's devil logo's x10 (one was d.o.a.), thick gold band that just has titan 510 engraved on it from TECC, x5 (think they are the same thing except the logo's) and thin gold bands, from a standard kit from china. x2 (has to be different)

They all work great except the thin gold bands from china died but I believe that was user error which is probably most of the complainers problems. I found they all get better after using them a couple days too. Most worked right out of the box with 1 or 2 drops, some had to be primed. (3 or 4 draws) It is best to use any one particular atty every other day. I love them.

Those who are biased towards their vaporizer will not be able to compete anymore with the longer 510 mega atty's and mega carts in production. I think they work excellent as they are, but now they went and made things even longer. If only they made short fatty's instead of a long 7 inch toothpick.

Slickstick

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
510 is working much better now, its not as thirsty and providing some great hits so either I am getting used to it or the atomiser has broken in :)

Its also not leaking much now!

they leak because you put too much fluid in it. When people "top off" with too much fluid they will leak and/or you will get a mouthful with the current design.

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
Don did you ever get to try a 302 (low bridge)? LOVE mine.

No, Hellen, I haven't. Since I only drip, the cartridge contact with a low bridge atty doesn't seem as relevant for me. If I'm disappointed with the M201, I may try the Joye302. After that (or before), I'll just leap to Carlos' Juice Box (with his own atty and all its other wonders).

[Sorry to others that these couple posts have been off-topic.]

BTW, Hellen, since I'm already off-topic, you know how sexy your avatar is, right?:cool:

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
Those who are biased towards their vaporizer will not be able to compete anymore with the longer 510 mega atty's and mega carts in production.

Of course, there is always the distinct possibility (if not probability) that the "Mega" carts and attys will be complete garbage.

Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread