510 usage and maintenance instructions from Joye Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

testerjtester

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
Seattle, WA
Thinking about giving my atty a quick once-over. Has anyone tried a Q-tip for applying the cleaning agent (I'll probably just use regular rubbing alcohol)? Am I supposed to touch, what I believe is called the wick (the thing in the center of the atty)?
Thanks

-A:evil:

I wouldn't touch the wick with a q-tip, as you'd almost certainly leave some fibers behind on the mesh, which probably wouldn't vape very nicely... :)

Most seem to soak them in an alcohol bath, rather than applying it directly.

@renderwrks: good point on the distilled water, seems obvious now that I think about it, and I can't believe it didn't occur to me already!

Tim

bear

Apr 25, 2009
Orlando, Fl
Hi All-
Additionally, I have had one develop a slight "burned plastic" taste. Upon close inspection, I found strands of the poly wool stuck under the bridge in the braid. Careful extraction with tweezers fixed the bad taste.

I noticed the wool stuck in there as well. So I took some surgical scissors(they fit better than the tweezers)and pulled it out, because I was convinced this has been a source of a lot of problems for me. So I got my Y2K flashlight and performed surgery on my atomizer. However, I noticed some stuff coming out that looked like the wool but slightly different, and now it doesn't work as well :confused: was this some sort of wick? I was pulling an all-nighter and was getting 'atty-happy' but then realized I maybe made a mistake.

-TiM

1010chrissy

Moved On
Mar 24, 2009
I noticed the wool stuck in there as well. So I took some surgical scissors(they fit better than the tweezers)and pulled it out, because I was convinced this has been a source of a lot of problems for me. So I got my Y2K flashlight and performed surgery on my atomizer. However, I noticed some stuff coming out that looked like the wool but slightly different, and now it doesn't work as well :confused: was this some sort of wick? I was pulling an all-nighter and was getting 'atty-happy' but then realized I maybe made a mistake.

-TiM

I am pretty sure that stuff is supposed to be there. They dont vape well without.

Thanks for the help. I did an ultra-sonic bath of alcohol and got it working. Next morning it was dead again. Might try the peroxide.

BTW -- no sizzle at all. I'm becoming enraptured with the sizzle sound though.

At least I wised up that I need spares on hand and ordered some so I won't lapse back to analogs.

edlogic

ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2009
jax fla usa
www.edlogic.com
Thanks for the help. I did an ultra-sonic bath of alcohol and got it working. Next morning it was dead again. Might try the peroxide.

BTW -- no sizzle at all. I'm becoming enraptured with the sizzle sound though.

At least I wised up that I need spares on hand and ordered some so I won't lapse back to analogs.

here is link to another thread and it has video of peroxide burn

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...nt/20834-cleaning-atomizers-3.html#post411097

Joe81

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
USA
Do not use liquids or cartridges other than those delivered with your e-cigarette.
still analog, but i plan to get a 510...i get the cartridge problem...but do i really need to worry about the liquid? any suggestions on which juices to stay away from...

UPDATE: nvm, seems any liquid will do...​

Last edited:

thomas0407

Nov 12, 2009
The problum is the batterys,the batterys do not last long before needing to be recharged,so as the battery is loseing its charge you get low voltage and low voltage is bad for any electronic device. So if you have to change your battery on your atomiser 5 times a day then you get low voltage 5 times a day, and this is why you are needing to clean your atomisers. I very rairely have to clean mine because, the batterys are 3.7 volt,160mah, I boosted mine to 3.7 volt at 1800 mah. Whow what a differance in the performance. So you do the math my 510 stays charged 11.25 times the stock battery. Soooo if you have to charge 5 times a day ( or change your battery ) I change mine every 2 days!:evil:My next step up is to go to 3.7 volt at 2700mah!8-oThats over 3 days before chargeing or changing a battery!:cool:

thomas0407

Nov 12, 2009
The problum is the batterys,the batterys do not last long before needing to be recharged,so as the battery is loseing its charge you get low voltage and low voltage is bad for any electronic device. So if you have to change your battery on your atomiser 5 times a day then you get low voltage 5 times a day, and this is why you are needing to clean your atomisers. I very rairely have to clean mine because, the batterys are 3.7 volt,160mah, I boosted mine to 3.7 volt at 1800 mah. Whow what a differance in the performance. So you do the math my 510 stays charged 11.25 times the stock battery. Soooo if you have to charge 5 times a day ( or change your battery ) I change mine every 2 days!:evil:My next step up is to go to 3.7 volt at 2700mah!8-oThats over 3 days before chargeing or changing a battery!:cool:

derek5L

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2009
Austin, TX

How did you "Boost" your battery power?

corinthian

Nov 6, 2009
One of my 510 batteries just stopped responding. It ran out of power this morning, so I put it in my portable charger and switched to the other battery. When that battery died, I swapped them again, and the first battery had finished charging. But now the first battery acts like it isn't charged. Pushing the button does nothing. I tried to recharge it, thinking maybe I hadn't properly recharged it the first time, but it won't charge - it acts like it's already charged. Anyone have any experiences like this?

aldreis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2010
Rio de Janeiro
aldreis.org
But now the first battery acts like it isn't charged. Pushing the button does nothing. I tried to recharge it, thinking maybe I hadn't properly recharged it the first time, but it won't charge - it acts like it's already charged. Anyone have any experiences like this?

Yes, about four hours ago.

The first thing I tried was to clean the contact with a cotton swab and isopropyl alcohol.

Worked. :)

Ajaxus

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2010
South Bend, IN
I have a new cleaning method for my atty's that I've used a few times with pretty good results, gonna give a cliffnotes version..if there's anything wrong let me know but I think it's a great one if you like to step away while letting the cleaning continue on its own.

First thing I do is blow out any excess juice in the atty and rinse both ends quickly. Then I take a small dixie cup, poke a hole in the bottom with some scissors and insert the atty contact through that, so the atty points out of the cup. I then turn on the hot water in my sink and set this under that, the cup acts as a stand and holds the atty under the hot water (thus ending any possible burns, or dropping it if you use tweezers) and let it run for a few minutes.

After that I take it out, put it in another dixie cup with warm water and add some efferdent, which is used as a denture cleaner and let that sit for 15 minutes.

After this, I repeat the first step under the hot water with the cup to remove any excess efferdent and anything it broke up in the atty.

After that, a few minutes with a hair dryer, and isopropyl alcohol to clean the atty contacts and battery contacts, let that dry. Then prime, and go.

It's a lot longer than some cleaning methods, but it has worked well for a few months now on the same atty with as far as I can tell no decrease in performance.

fairweasel2323

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2011
Marion, OH
dont know if anyone is still watching this thread or not last post was over a year ago? But if so anyone know if the cleaning method described at the beginning with the alcohol and holding ur fingers over the holes and shaking it a few times works for a 510-T atty? I finally had a atty not hit good:( my first 510-T atty I got 5/2/2011 still vaping like a champ! But one I got on 5/15/2011 just gets hot and not much vapor hopefully a good cleaning will help it as its still getting hot just not tasting good or having a big vape (hard to draw) I figured the black one my first 510-T atty would go first but newer platinum one started vaping hard and getting hot. I dont have any alcohol but tried the boiling water soak and letting it dry now. Glad I just got a spare, so I still have two attys im using and also have 3 other regular 510 attys for carts im not using. Hope I can get this one cleaned and working again so I got 6 total working attys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread