Status
Not open for further replies.

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
I must be getting extremely lucky..
I've ordered all 510 stuff and at different time periods..
one 510 kit from a vendor in nov...then a second a few weeks later from the same supplier in dec, a third kit from a different supplier in dec, a spare atty from the first supplier in jan, an eGo from a third supplier in Jan, and another spare atty and an HV atty from the first supplier in Jan....
Have not experienced this with any of the atties (I keep ordering them to have spares on hand, but it turns out that me and my fiance just set them up so we each have 4 on rotation with different flavors for each....
Really makes me wonder if this is a supplier specific epidemic..I'm not going to name the suppliers I've gotten from so I don't sound like I'm promoting anyone..unless asked.

Remie

ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2009
Florida
Janty and Totally Wicked sell the same product manufactured by Joye Tech (re-branded by TW). So, it would make sense that if this turns out to be a manufacturing glitch or problem, anyone who sells genuine Joye 510 atomizers could have received and subsequently shipped these out to customers.

I checked around and ordered a few non-Joye atomizers so I could compare them. (I ordered them from madvapes) Looking inside the atomizer I can see that the wire-mesh bridge is more of an inverted V shape and there is a round metal washer (instead of the rectangular white piece) underneath it.

I've been using one since I received them yesterday. Right out of the box I removed the blank cartridge and blew out the primer fluid. There was nothing that blew out of the atomizer onto the paper towel. I put 2 drops of e-liquid onto the bridge and screwed it onto a freshly charged battery.

From the first few draws I noticed that this atomizer does not run "hot". There is no burned or bad taste or smell and I didn't experience any "residual primer fluid" taste.

As the day went on, I decided to set up two 510s. One with the Joye atomizer I'd been using and one with the new "knock-off" atomizer. I went back and forth vaping them both. I realized that I'd topped off the 510 with the Joye atty twice, and the "knock-off" was still going strong. I put the Joye atty away and I'm still using the "knock-off" today.

I grew so used to my routine that even a day later I'm still very aware that I'm not constantly topping off my cart, taking it off and dripping (dripping seems to temporarily alleviate the burned chemical taste after I've been vaping for a while), or going crazy fiddling and fussing with it.

I've just been sitting here vaping. I can take good long draws and the atty doesn't get very hot to the touch. It produces plenty of vapor and I can taste my e-liquid! It didn't take long to feel as if this atomizer was "broken in" and I got used to the slightly different feel of the draw quickly. I had been struggling with extremely "hard draw" issues with the Joye atties and this one draws nicely.

Tonight I'm going to pull out a bunch of "flavors" that I didn't like just to see if I experience them differently with the new atomizer.

Sorry for the long post - I just wanted to validate you guys again and tell you - this is not something we're doing or not doing or something we can do anything about! It's real...

If you are still going crazy, try placing an order for just a couple of "non Joye" atomizers - you may not think they're as *good* in comparison to a perfect Joye atty - but honestly, the bad Joye atties were not good when they started having the problems.

I'm still amazed I'm having a "good vaping day" - my first in weeks. :)

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
Have you ever vaped Tasty Vapor on a 901? I think the taste ruined me for life. :) I just got 3 new Joye 510 attys in the mail today from a different vendor and they taste the same... bad!

I don't understand why when I direct drip I don't get the bad taste. Yes, I've tried every mod filler on this site and they all work well for the first few hits... I've trimmed the carts in case they may be coming in contact with the bridge... I've soaked them in Crest ProHealth following the instructions on a very detailed thread... I've bought new attys, blew them out, primed them and allowed a sufficient amount of time to burn off the primer... I don't let them get too hot or too dry or flood them... what else is there???

Sun Vapor, have you come up with any answers????

LOL I was posting this at the same time you were posting, Remie. Thanks!!! I will do just that! I'm really upset about this today!

Last edited:

UpInVapor

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2009
Louisville, KY
Glad to hear you're having a good day Remie!

I read threads that go back to August about the burnt taste of some 510 attys! It's beginning to upset me that these vendors say they have never heard of this before!!! That seems to be the standard answer and it's not true as many have complained. Do a search on ECF and see how many have told vendors about this problem and are told the same thing as you!

I've spent so much on this piece of crap that I can't use for more than a couple of hits at a time! It leaves my mouth with a nasty taste and if the problem is not fixed it could be the downfall for many vapers trying to quit analogs!

I just wanted to be clear that several of my carts melted with no change in anything but new attys. I've cut them down at this point. TW was focusing mostly on that I think.

I don't want to throw a bad review or point fingers, things are still being figured out.

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
I think you also have to factor in the regular atties versus the multi pack atties..
I personally will not buy anything from TW..
So far my atties and kits have been from:
nhaler 1st, 2nd kits..2 extra atties and the HV atty..
vapor station 3rd kit..
janty eGo/Dura atty with eGo kit...

absolutely no problems with any of them or burning taste..
Will go on to say that none of them have been cleaned or dry burned either..
if vapor production drops off slightly I just run it on a 5V passthrough for a while with a "cleaner" premium juice (I use Halo newpure) and after a day or so it fixes itself right up..
No dripping either just carts with blue foam (not dart, plug, or slug...)

Remie

ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2009
Florida
Thanks, UpInVapor!

I had several "burned" cartridges from my Joye 510 atties. I couldn't understand at first why the edges of the cartridge looked as if something had taken tiny "bites" out of it! Upon closer inspection I realized - it seems as if the entire edge of the cartridge, where it sits inside the atomizer, is "thin" - as if it... melted :confused: but in such a consistent way it didn't make sense.

It honestly looks like little bites were taken out of the very edge of the plastic.

GoodDog - I have gone through SO much e-liquid over the past few weeks.
It just wasn't making sense! I was a heavy smoker - and I am a heavy vaper - BUT - to be burning through this much e-liquid?

I went through 30ml in less than three weeks :shock:

When I'm out for the day I bring a 3ml bottle filled with my e-liquid with me and that's how I figured out that I do vape approximately 3ml a day.

Today, with the "knock-off" atty? I've refilled my cart twice! I've been up since 6:30am!! I'm still amazed... By the time I go to sleep tonight I think I will have vaped less than 3ml!!

Hang tight my friend - we aren't wonky, or being dramatic! Madvapes shipped super-quick, you'll have the new ones soon. I am SO curious to see if you experience the same thing when you get the new ones!! :)

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
I am, Kristen. I'm very careful to look inside my atty when putting on the cart. I ordered 3 more from Ash thinking that maybe my favorite supplier just got some bad ones, but they are even worse ( should say the one I tried)! These are all original Joye attys. I've ordered some of the ones Remie bought from MadVapes and it will be interesting to see if there's an improvement.

I would be happy to send someone one of these if it would help get to the bottom of the problem.

Remie

ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2009
Florida
I read about doing that before I used my 510 for the first time. I read and researched how, why and when to do anything and everything, then read some more while I waited for my first order to arrive.

I've also read that it shouldn't matter how the cart is aligned with the atomizer as long as you don't twist it, etc. I just automatically align it because that's the habit I got into when I started.

I'm glad a lot of people aren't having this issue, it's really irritating. I also believed I *had* to be doing something wrong when it first started happening and tried every suggested remedy - until I started reading how many other people were actually posting and describing exactly what I was experiencing.

I'm on my second day using a non-Joye atomizer - and I am not having any problems at all. Honestly, it's just not happening. If I switch back to one of my Joye atomizers, I'll take maybe 4 draws and have to start fussing with it.

I can say now, after two days on this "knock-off" or "DSE" (??) atty that it doesn't run nearly as hot as my Joye atties were running. I don't get nearly the throat hit in comparison - but -vapor production and taste is great. It's a more than happy compromise to not have to deal with that awful burned chemical taste.

Last edited:

dmarnaud2

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2009
Tauranga, New Zealand
I'm a little slow but I usualy finaly get it:oops:. In regard to the burnt/chemical taste in the attys. The first attys I got back in August 2009 were pretty rank:evil:. No finger pointing but all my Atts came from TW and they apear to be jenuine Joy products.

I figured it was the factory primer. I tried dry burning them with no improvement. Accordingly, for all subsequent new atty's I put a battery on them and do a 2-3 second burn until I hear them sizzle so I know they work. I then immediatly clean them before vaping. I wash them with boiling water and blow them out and then give them a 5 min clean in a ultra sonic filled with grain alcohol. I then rinse with boiling water, blow out and let dry 24 hours before using.
As I previously stated, I now only get distastfull vape when they run dry or I run them hot enough that I almost can't touch them but they do clean up with a refill or cool down.

Supposition: I think it is the factory primer. Has anyone else cleaned the attys before use in a similar way. I'm thinking that maybe they changed the factory priming fluid and that if it gets cooked on it is causing the problem.

Questions:
1.) Can anyone with a new 5 pack of "Joy" attys try one to verify they're yucky:evil: and then clean another one to test this out?
2.) Can someone who has got the phosphoric acid cleaner try cleaning one of the cr@ppy tasting attys and let us know the results?

3.) Is there a actual thread going about this atty problem?

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
That's an interesting hypothesis and it could be the problem. I don't have an ultra sonic cleaner or would try it. I actually have sores in my mouth from using one of the new attys and burnt primer could be the explanation. That makes sense dmarnaud2, the primer is not burning off, it's burning on the nickle wick and embedding in it.

I'll try cleaning one of my new ones in Crest ProHealth then Vodka today and see if that's enough to remove the primer.

I had a thread going Burnt taste with all my attys but feel free to start a new one. Thanks!! :)

larktdl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2009
Strathmore, AB
Yesterday I got a 10 - pack of attys from happyvaper.com.
Used 3 of the 10 with great results. Blew out the primer, loaded each with a fresh cart and vaped it up. No burnt taste, excellent flavour and th.

According to the happy vaper web site the product line manufacturer is Joye510 so I assume that the attys are genuine Joye Tech products.

Remie

ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2009
Florida
I get my attys at electronicstix.com and they seem to work very well, however once I let one of my attys soak in water and let it dry for 48 after rinsing it with hot water, it flaked out on me :( I dunno what happened though. Could someone explain this to me?

If you soaked it and let it dry - it may not be dead, just too dry.

Put a few drops of your e-liquid inside the atomizer - try taking a few shallow "puffs" from the atty itself (without a cartridge) - as if you were trying to keep a ciggie lit...

It may take a couple of times - gently blowing it out - then dropping liquid in it and puffing on it...

blow it out again, put a few drops of liquid right inside the atty- then puff on it..

sounds silly - but it's worked for me when I thought I'd wonked one out by soaking and cleaning it.

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
I read about doing that before I used my 510 for the first time. I read and researched how, why and when to do anything and everything, then read some more while I waited for my first order to arrive.

I've also read that it shouldn't matter how the cart is aligned with the atomizer as long as you don't twist it, etc. I just automatically align it because that's the habit I got into when I started.

I'm glad a lot of people aren't having this issue, it's really irritating. I also believed I *had* to be doing something wrong when it first started happening and tried every suggested remedy - until I started reading how many other people were actually posting and describing exactly what I was experiencing.

I'm on my second day using a non-Joye atomizer - and I am not having any problems at all. Honestly, it's just not happening. If I switch back to one of my Joye atomizers, I'll take maybe 4 draws and have to start fussing with it.

I can say now, after two days on this "knock-off" or "DSE" (??) atty that it doesn't run nearly as hot as my Joye atties were running. I don't get nearly the throat hit in comparison - but -vapor production and taste is great. It's a more than happy compromise to not have to deal with that awful burned chemical taste.

Can you believe they came in today's mail!!! LOL MadVapes is in NC and I'm in Calif... how did they do that?! I ordered them late on the 10th after I read your post and today is Saturday, the 13th!

You're right about there being no primer to blow out. The plastic package was dry and didn't leave that putrid smell the Joyes left in the packaging.

I've been vaping hard for over two hours and nothing but juice flavor so far. I just used some old polyfil I had cleaned and stuck in a box. Now I see why people love the 510, it's a great vape when the taste is right!

I even let the filler dry out some and so far no nasty taste. I can't vape with the ones I bought from Ash even when they are wet. Maybe some people aren't as sensitive to the taste as we are, but there are many that are and the complaints need to be taken seriously by Joye and their suppliers.

I'll report back in a couple of days.

Last edited:

Remie

ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2009
Florida
Can you believe they came in today's mail!!! LOL MadVapes is in NC and I'm in Calif... how did they do that?! I ordered them late on the 10th after I read your post and today is Saturday, the 13th!

You're right about there being no primer to blow out. The plastic package was dry and didn't leave that putrid smell the Joyes left in the packaging.

I've been vaping hard for over two hours and nothing but juice flavor so far. I just used some old polyfil I had cleaned and stuck in a box. Now I see why people love the 510, it's a great vape when the taste is right!

I even let the filler dry out some and so far no nasty taste. I can't vape with the ones I bought from Ash even when they are wet. Maybe some people aren't as sensitive to the taste as we are, but there are many that are and the complaints need to be taken seriously by Joye and their suppliers.

I'll report back in a couple of days.

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Awesome!! I knew you'd notice the difference immediately and I am SO happy that you are finally having a good "vaping day'!!! :)

I was amazed that I was finally able to vape all day (and I do vape all day) without having to futz with the atty ...

So - both of us notice a definite difference between the "Joye 510 atomizer" and the "knock-off" non-Joye atomizer.

GoodDog - when you look inside the atomizer - aside from the obvious round washer - do you notice that the wire mesh covering the bridge looks... more organized?

I'm not sure how else to put it other than... in comparison to both the madvapes atties, and the 2 atties (which are authentic Joye) that came with my Tornado - the wire mesh bridge, and where the wire mesh sits under the white rectangle on my original Joye atties look "messy". There is a mess of wire mesh on both sides next to the white rectangle.

On one of my original Joye atties (from one of my first kit orders) the wire mesh on the bridge looked "cut" and I could see the metal bridge support through the wire mesh. That was the atomizer that died.

On the madvapes atties, and on the Joye atties that came with my Tornado - the inside of the atomizers all look "neat and organized".

On the Joye atties from TW - the wire mesh bridge looks neater, fuller, "more complete", and there is no wire mesh sticking out messily anywhere around the white rectangle.

Which makes me wonder...

The Joye rebranded atomizers that TW sells have a thick gold band. The other Joye atomizers I've gotten do not.

Is it possible that Joye manufactures these 510 atomizers in different factories, using slightly different materials and at different price points depending on the end distribution? I'm not sure I'm wording that correctly...

Meaning - not every genuine Joye 510 atomizer is the exact same across the board?

Oh bullocks - LOL I can't seem to make my brain function correctly today :lol:

I'm just glad that now we both know we are not crazy :)

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
I understand what you mean and yes I have noticed that. I had one atty that I sent back to the supplier and their comment was, "It looks like a tornado hit it." I had tried to pluck some polyfil strands out of one so I thought maybe that was the one I sent them. Nothing ever came of my complaint, though, because I honestly didn't know.

The attys I got from MadVapes don't have the wide band...hmmmm. They look like a Joye until I look inside and see the round metal below the wick. Edit: Nevermind, I reread your post. ooops. :)

So, it seems it can be one of three problems, 1.) the primer fluid isn't burning off 2.) the plastic under the wick is melting or 3.) the nickle strands are not forming a proper working element. Maybe this is why they seem to run hotter??

I can't in good conscience recommend a Joye 510 to new vapers as I had been until this problem is solved. If I were a supplier I would be all over this with Joye!! It doesn't take long for word to spread. I have 11 attys that I can't use because of this and I won't waste any more money!!

Last edited:

Remie

ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2009
Florida
Ditto - and it makes me feel so bad to be a broken record... and when I see so many new users post with the same questions we did "Why does my atty taste burned, bad.. etc"
and see the same replies that we got ... basically, "new user error" it really makes me feel bad, because although a percentage of problems may very well be just that -

I know a lot of the complaints are valid :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread