A clean atty is a happy atty

Status
Not open for further replies.

tamiflu

ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Annapolis, MD
I have been reading about cleaning your atty every now and again. I have not done so because I was not having any "problems"....well.... I tried it anyway since I vaped like crazy off of it this weekend (my first weekend as a vapor) Soaked it in alcohol for 4 hours, wrapped in a tissue and let it drain in my little stash bag overnight. Just gave it a prime, started vaping and WOW:shock: My 510 is bran-spankin new again. Gurggles for Momma and everything!

Last edited:

luvmyvapor

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2009
Texas, USA
There does apper to be some merit to cleaning the mesh with alcohol so it wicks better---as for cleaning the coil itself, we have found that it will not remove the residue. Glad you report good results-----Sun

Ok, I have been doing the alcohol soak then a hot water rinse. Pretty satisfactory but better is good. What do you do to get rid of the coil residue?

Surf Monkey

Cartel Boss
ECF Veteran
May 28, 2009
Sesame Street
I do, just make sure you give it a good rinse, blow the water out, then let it drain over night. Drip 5 or so drops directly in the atomizer, let it sit a few minutes, pop in a fresh cart and your off.

Same here. Rubbing alcohol works great.

I agree with the OP as well. Cleaning your atomizer regularly is a good idea. I didn't realize how constricted the draw was on my current one until I started cleaning it every couple of days. It works like a champ all the time now.

walkstheplanes

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
South San Francisco
Speaking of Isopropyl Alcohol, I borrowed some 99.9% from my lab and soaked a few of my atty's in it in a saturated salt solution. My coworker did this with his wacky tobaccy pipes and they came out clean as a whistle. I haven't tried them out yet (they're currently drying at home), but I'll test it out tonight and see.

My black atomizers, though, have started peeling and revealing the steel underneath. I think from now on, I'm purchasing stainless steel colored atomizers only.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Ok, I have been doing the alcohol soak then a hot water rinse. Pretty satisfactory but better is good. What do you do to get rid of the coil residue?

Of all the reports and numerous experiments that many have done, including myself, only 2 methods will remove residue from the coil:

(1) A Dry or Wet burn off using Hydro Peroxide;

(2) Phoshoric Acid

I have visual tested alcohol, vinegar, citric acid, lemon juice, baking soda, dishwasher detergent, boiling, denture cleaner, ultrasonic machines, and canned air to name a few and they simply will not remove the hardened on residual on the coil ---but they will clean the wicking mesh.

Note: that an atomizer that goes cold usually has had it contacts broken and will not fire under any circumstances. But sometimes you many find if the atomizer is flooded, it goes cold and after drying out may fire again.------Sun
----Sun

unixian

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2009
Of all the reports and numerous experiments that many have done, including myself, only 2 methods will remove residue from the coil:

(1) A Dry or Wet burn off using Hydro Peroxide;

(2) Phoshoric Acid

I have visual tested alcohol, vinegar, citric acid, lemon juice, baking soda, dishwasher detergent, boiling, denture cleaner, ultrasonic machines, and canned air to name a few and they simply will not remove the hardened on residual on the coil ---but they will clean the wicking mesh.

Note: that an atomizer that goes cold usually has had it contacts broken and will not fire under any circumstances. But sometimes you many find if the atomizer is flooded, it goes cold and after drying out may fire again.------Sun
----Sun

I've read a number of posts regarding the mesh and the coil. How can you clean the coil and not the mesh? Is there some way of disassemblint the atty to get directly at the coil and reassembling again? I thought it wasn't possible to disassemble the atty and be able to put it back together. I have a Janty Dura-C that's beginning to tast bad and the output's going down so I'd really like to know.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
unixian--I think you might have misunderstoond.--All methods attemted are with the atomzer intact. The problem is that most methods only will actually work to clean the mesh and have no effect on cleaning the coil.

The methods listed that are known to actually clean the coil will do so without disassembling the atomizer---------Sun

hma95

ECF Veteran
Apr 15, 2009
Upper MI USA
Sun, I know you said that so far all cleaning methods have only cleaned the mesh, but I was wondering as to what your results were for the better cleaning methods? I have read most of the post's relating to cleaning and it's just amazing all the different things that have been tried! 8-o

I have been giving my atomizers Pepsi baths once a week.... wondering if maybe the rubbing alcohol would be better for it? The Pepsi bath's are starting to take the paint off the atomizers.

Thanks!

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Sun, I know you said that so far all cleaning methods have only cleaned the mesh, but I was wondering as to what your results were for the better cleaning methods? I have read most of the post's relating to cleaning and it's just amazing all the different things that have been tried! 8-o

I have been giving my atomizers Pepsi baths once a week.... wondering if maybe the rubbing alcohol would be better for it? The Pepsi bath's are starting to take the paint off the atomizers.

Thanks!

Hma95--for preservation, only the burn method dry or with Hydo Peroxide and the Phosporic Acid works to clean the coil. All the other methods do nothing more then clean out the mesh for better wicking and do not IMO make that atomizer last any longer. Only cleaning the residue off the coil does that. So there is a difference between "cleaning" and "preserving". There is one method that I am working on, but will hold still on its report till I am sure it does in fact fall into the "preservation" catagory--------

Sun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread