Status
Not open for further replies.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I have removed my bridge and wick on all my atty's but I can see the coils are filthy- wondering the best way to clean them....
From everything I have read nobody has found any good way to clean them.
I think the closest thing anyone found that had ANY effect was icemaker cleaner.

Someone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.

One guy recently posted that he put a lighter to them and it burned all the gunk off, but nobody seemed interested and nobody has followed up at all on his comments. I don't know if that is because he was a newbie and no one believed him, or if it was because none of the experienced atomizer experimenters saw his post, or if it is because the discussion is taking place and I haven't seen it yet.

I mean, seriously, if you can just burn that stuff off with a lighter...

From everything I have read nobody has found any good way to clean them.
I think the closest thing anyone found that had ANY effect was icemaker cleaner.

Someone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong.

One guy recently posted that he put a lighter to them and it burned all the gunk off, but nobody seemed interested and nobody has followed up at all on his comments. I don't know if that is because he was a newbie and no one believed him, or if it was because none of the experienced atomizer experimenters saw his post, or if it is because the discussion is taking place and I haven't seen it yet.

I mean, seriously, if you can just burn that stuff off with a lighter...

This issue really consumes me! I would probably be better off just buying new ones every few weeks and quit wasting my time on it!

When I get a new atty it vapes like crazy but within a day or 2 it is way down.
Removing the bridge and wick has given me back great throat hit but still barely any vapor so I am kind of thinking that it is related to the coil. I am really wanting to see the new atty I get to compare. I will then be able to make some better observations starting with a new one.
Although I have seen many threads relating to *cleaning an atty* I guess they are in reference to the bridge and wick parts more than the coil?

g123456e

Jan 20, 2010
Kentucky
I like your cleaning research.
I used generic scope because I already had a bottle; shares active ingredient.

I cleaned 2 attys with similar results. 1 atty is a year old. I typically use PGA cleaning.
The results were same for both attys. The used scope was almost clear but contained several very small particles. Particles much smaller than black pepper.

Details:

PGA rinse.
Scope (Don't have Crest yet) soak and shake for a few hours.
Distilled H2O rinse.
Inspected used bath and found some tiny specs.
PGA rinse and blow.
PGA prime.
Atty working like new.
What is PGA? Propolyne Gylcol?

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Although I have seen many threads relating to *cleaning an atty* I guess they are in reference to the bridge and wick parts more than the coil?
Mostly the bridge, wick, and mesh that surrounds the white ceramic coil pot.
At least that is my impression from what I've read.

Although I'm sure many people think they are cleaning the coil.
But unless I am mistaken, they really aren't.

sjohnson

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
The coil surrounds a wick in most atomizers. That area of wick is subject to the second-highest heat in an atomizer, and impurities in the e-liquid can bake out onto and into that wick.

If let go too far, the build-up extends to the coil itself. When I first started doing the dry burn, you could see black-brown crud around and on the coil on my 510 atomizers. Now that I clean an atomizer every 3-4 days, when done all you can see is nearly white wick and a silvery-gray coil. I can't see the entire coil, of course, as it's partially hidden from view by the bridge. But I can see about 1/3 of it.

So yes, I am getting the coil clean, as well as the other parts of my atomizers. I use ultrasound, plain water and the dry burn. And I'm well past the 6 month mark on my oldest atomizers.

Last edited:

sjohnson

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
It's proven to me :p but everyone should make up their own mind.

I was apprehensive about cleaning two-month old atomizers with the dry burn, but I think the step of an ultrasonic cleaning before the dry burn helped me, or I was just lucky. I haven't lost a used atomizer yet. When I started doing it, I cleaned 6 used atomizers using an ultrasound clean/dry burn/ultrasound clean cycle and didn't lose any.

The second ultrasound cleaning removes the burnt taste the dry burn gives my atomizers. I can see some ash and black bits after the dry burn that are gone after the second ultrasound and the burnt taste is gone, so I'm sticking with it.

My oldest 510 atomizers are over 6 months old. Both still test at 2.3 ohms.

It's working for me, is easy to do (takes less than 5 minutes of my time, but 2-3 days total time), and gives an atomizer that tastes and works like new, and looks functionally nearly like new.

The ultrasound does fleck off the black paint, so the outside of my atomizers looks crappy unless I finish removing all the paint, but that's the only drawback I've found.

HTH

sjohnson

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
I'm not sure I understand the question, but here's an answer:

I fill my ultrasonic cleaner with tap water. Some recommend distilled water, I don't find any difference between the two.

Drop in the atomizer(s), and turn it on. Leave them in the tank for 5-10 minutes.

I then let the atomizer(s) dry for 1-2 days, until bone dry. Then, do a series of dry burns, letting the coil turn red for 3-5 seconds. I do the burns until I no longer generate any smoke during the burn.

Then, to get rid of the burnt taste in the atomizer, I fill my ultrasonic cleaner with tap water.

Drop in the atomizer(s), and turn it on. Leave them in the tank for 5-10 minutes. Let the atomizer dry, then prime it with e-liquid. Done.

ellanceo

May 11, 2009
Las Cruces, NM
I definitely can be considered a witness to the power of CPH! :thumbs:

I cleaned 7 atomizers (5 510's, 2 801's) and so far, the 3 I have tested (2 510's 1 801) 1 510 is working with FANTASTIC results, and one worked for a bit, but died out again. The 801 works good, but I prefer the 510.

I've tried cleaning with PGA, and just blowing out gunk every night, but nothing has worked as good as this. I still want to try the liquid ice machine cleaner (75% concentrate phosphoric acid) suggested by Sun Vaporer, but this works GREAT!!!

I was starting to smoke analogs again unfortunately because all of my atomizers went out, and the throat hit was completely gone. Now that I did my CPH wash, the ones I have tried work great, and I only have the best expectations for the others. I will update!

Thank you so much Sattec! You have saved the day!

ellanceo

May 11, 2009
Las Cruces, NM
Update! (sorry, can't figure out how to edit my previous post)

The atomizer that works is working good still, but that lingering HORRIBLE taste of CPH is still there after a week of use. I can't even use the other atomizers because it makes me want to vom.

I am going to try and soak with PGA and see if that helps, will update on that later.

But seriously, HORRRRRRIIIBLLLLEEEE!

Edit: Hm, edit seems to work on this post, but not the other. Is it because of different IP address?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread