Sattec's atty cleaning test thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rusty shackleford

ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2009
Arlen Texas
Here's my take on CPH...15 minutes of soak time is all you want. If it's gonna clean anything, it does it almost on contact, soaking in CPH will only add more minty flavoring to the atty. And, it does work, it clears out nasty looking juice. And it does seem to restore air flow. It did help my 5 old 510 atties get back to working better. If you need proof, don't blow out your atty first and watch the juice "exiting " the inside of the atty when you drop it in the CPH. CPH breaks up the old juice for sure. And it is safe to use. A neat test is to drop a few drops of juice into a jar of CPH solution and watch what happens.

robl45

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2010
florida
here is my take, i've tried the crest, it doesn't hurt I guess, but hot water running through the atty and then a dry burn seems to do the same for me. or hot water with an efferdent tablet if its really bad. The key for me is to dry burn it with my bartleby or a 5v would probably be better. I coudln't get a decent clean atty with the stock battery.

bearnut

Jun 11, 2010
Illinois
I am still trying to figure all this out. I have only been vaping for a month and 1/2. The RN4081 I started with has the atomizer built into the cartridge. I ordered another RN4081 and just received it today. It is not like my first one. The atomizer is separate from the cartridge. The cartridge is totally different and not getting much out of them. I am not sure if it needs broken in or what. I came across this and was reading about cleaning the atomizer. Why and how often do you have to do this? I have a battery operated jewelry cleaner. It vibrates to clean rings. Wondering if I may have to turn it into a atomizer cleaner.

maja

Jun 1, 2010
liverpool
I don't know if anyone else has had similar issues, but I couldn't find crest, so I used listerine instead. And I thought why not be thorough about it and left it in overnight.

Now the atty works great - the airflow is way better than before - but it tastes HORRIBLE!!! I've puffed - without inhaling - through two carts and it still tastes of burnt menthol or something similar - can't really describe it, but trust me, its BAD!

Any tips?

portguy

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2010
Portugal
A few days ago i was stuck with a clogged filter on my espresso machine. I ran out of the cleaning tablets the manufacturer sells. All i can say is: Polident tablets work just the same. I had tried to boil the filter...leave it soaked on vinegar and lemon juice to no avail. The filters gets clogged and even without coffee the pressurized water will not pass.

Polident made the filter work just like new and im not buying expensive espresso tablets anymore.

Little Girl

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2010
New York
mostlylinux.wordpress.com
thanks little girl! I'm on the 4th change of boiling water soaks now with rinsing and blowing out in between! i can still taste the damn listerine, so i'll give it a few more..

It could be many more, but here's hoping it gets cleaned out soon! :thumb:

is the problem that it was listerine or the too long soak?

I'm not sure. I suspect it has something to do with the strength of the flavor. Minty flavors seem to own everything they come into contact with. Usually if you use anything minty with any of your atomizers, then you've pretty well determined the fate of that atomizer for its life. That isn't always the case, though, because I've gotten spearmint back out of an atomizer that it had assimilated. :D It just took quite some time.

My concern with what you did (and what others are doing by using mouthwash) is that since you can still smell it, it's still in there. That stuff was not designed to be inhaled. It was designed to be swished in your mouth and spit out. I wouldn't even bother soaking the atomizer. I'd just throw it away and not use mouthwash again.

Under normal circumstances you should be able to clean any atomizer with water, PG, or VG. You shouldn't need anything more. Time is power with any of those three ingredients when it comes to tough jobs. If you're patient, rinsing and soaking the heck out of the atomizer in frequently changed liquid and blowing it out each time, you should be able to get any flavor out of it eventually. :)

chanderson50

Jun 16, 2010
milwaukie, or
I don't know if anyone else has had similar issues, but I couldn't find crest, so I used listerine instead. And I thought why not be thorough about it and left it in overnight.

Now the atty works great - the airflow is way better than before - but it tastes HORRIBLE!!! I've puffed - without inhaling - through two carts and it still tastes of burnt menthol or something similar - can't really describe it, but trust me, its BAD!

Any tips?

I don't know why you can't get the taste out with the listerine but, with the crest, I barely have to rinse with hot water to get the taste out. Did you check the ingredients of the Listerine to see if it is the same as the crest?

vulture

Mar 27, 2009
Lincolnton, NC
The general consensus on this thread is that the Crest Pro Health is the way to go. I haven't tried this yet, but am heading out after this post to pick some up.

To my point. I have scoured this thread and have not found the simple solution for pre cleaning and quick drying. Canned air!

Before you soak your atty, a quick spray of canned air in the battery hole, the airflow holes and then on the bridge will remove alot of liquid. Then soak in your solution.

Once out of the solution a quick spray of all of the areas listed above, then your hot water rinse. Dry the housing with a paper towel (not the bridge, because you will get paper towel bits stuck in it). The repeat with the canned air. Prime it and it's ready to go.

Canned air applies pressure, forcing out the liquid that air drying may not get. I think that is why many are waiting hours to reuse.

Vape on! :evil:

Just make sure it doesn't have the "Bittergent" agent in it, I used that stuff once and thought my juice had soured!, So I tried vapeing just pure PG/VG/distilled water mix and it still tasted like ...!:-x

It was so bad, I smoked analogs for 2 days but the stench in my sinuses wouldn't go away.

A good nasal spray fixed my sinus problem, soaking all my atty's in PGA followed by a super hot water rinse made THAT problem a little better.

Gonna try the mouthwash thing next.

rockyroad

Life is Good
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2010
Indiana
15 minutes is all you need, agitate it during the 15 minutes often. I think this is it....the 801 and 112 cleanup very nice using this solution and the best part is there is no complex mixing of multible products, this one solution kicks ..... The key is if you see small flakes or balls of grud in the bottom of the jar, it's working! And if it cleans really well, the solution turns green and you'll see plenty of black junk in the bottom of the jar....I eagarlly await your results....go for it guys....:D oh yeah, you can save the dark solution and use it again if you want! Don't use hydrogen peroxide, alcohol, or vodka...this crest mouthwash works better. thanks again to everybody that sent in dead atty's, I couldn't do this without an almost unlimited supply of test material....some of the guys I work with helped me complete the test....they are all pumped up and want to start vaping now!!!!!!:D. You can expect to bring your atty's back to about 80-90% of what they were when they were new...plus the crest will clean out the air ways, this is very important! those airways must be free of gunk to flow air properly.....the only downside is repriming the atty and they need to get hotter before they vaporize the juice....you have to "pump" it to get everything hot. I not kidding when I say repriming can be tough....I've put twenty drops into a 801 aty to finally get it to "primed" and totally wet...let it dry too before you start to prime it , get all the mouth wash out first!

if you blow out the prime completely and just wash for 7 minutes, rinse with warm water, you'll get the same results with less after taste....somebody pm'd me that they cut the cpro with distilled water 50/50 and they had no after taste after rinsing..... cpro does appear to be the real deal...;)

soaking overnight is not recommended, been there, done that. I revised the soak time to 7 minutes if you blow out the prime before you rinse in pro-h.

1. preclean atty-blow out the primer juice by blowing air thru the batt port
2. put two or three attys in a jar,laying on their side,add enough hot cph to cover them and agitate easy by swirling the solution around by hand.
3. soak for 15 minutes
4 save the cph for next time unless it turned green, if it turns green, throw it out, it did the job.
5. rinse the attys with tap water
6. dry, they must be dry before you start up, and you will need to re prime the atty by dripping some juice in
7. soak overnight in water to remove any mintyness...

other points brought out that I think are true.....
Any alcohol can damage glue used inside the atty
The re prime can be tricky
Most the info is for the 801 style atty
The "juice" is a big variable
This process cleans the mesh not the coil, and increases air flow
For some reason, not everybody gets a benefit from this
The attys were below grade anyway so any extended use is good.
The content of the juice is the factor, some juices don't respond to cph
This was probably the largest atty test ever conducted for public use
It was amazing to me as I watched the cph rise to be the winner, I was proud to "stumble" onto a "safe,non alc,non flamable" solution
If not for all the people that sent me their plugged up attys, it never would have happend
Just curious if it is only 7 minutes with atty blow method or the 15 in the recap? I wouldn't mind saving 8 minutes here and there. Do a few of you still use this method?
This is the best thread I have read yet, by far. I never knew there were so many ways to clean an atty. I will try this within days. I will also try a couple other methods.
Thanks for the thread Sattec and all the other methods people, wish I had a hundred bucks to spend on an ultra-sonic.:p this thread is bookmarked!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread