Sattec's atty cleaning test thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sattec

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
mcallen texas
Hi partners! I am starting to receive the hardware you sent me. I can tell you right now at least two of the "dead" atty's are ok. It's going to take me some time to get my program ready but I am very excited to have the hardware and will begin setting up the test this weekend....I was supposed to be on a contract job this week but some hurricane in the Bermuda cancelled the job until next week, starting on Tuesday, so I'm gonna be busy for a week but no fear, I'll get this done ASAP when I return.....I've already learned a few things just by examination of the hardware....I still have plenty of room for anybody that wants to send me some dead atty's for the test cleaning. The point of this test is to finalize a cleaning and refreshener solution that can be used to extend the life of 801/112 atty's. Anybody that contributes to the test will receive some of the final solution for your use...here's some tips that I have determined are true....

vodka acts as cleaner and a slight amount mixed with your juice will act as a cleaner everytime you vape

low batt power will gunk up the atty due to incomplete burn of fuel. If you are having batt problem, the lack of power is gonna kill your atty faster...

hydrogen peroxide has attacked the solder in more than one atty, don't use it anymore

Isopropyl Alcohol, unless it says "for internal use" on the label, don't use it or use only small amounts...( better to not use it)

if your cleaning your atty's and NOT seeing small chunks/flakes of carbon in your cleaning fluid, your probably not getting to the real problem. If your fluid gets darker duirng the clean cycle, you might be doing some good but mostly your only taking the varnish and soot off the atty tube, boil bowl, and mesh....

If you make your own juice, that could be part of the problem. The wrong amounts of the right ingredients can be an atty killer...

Thanks again to everybody, for giving me the tools/supplies I needed to serve the E-cig community! (I NEED MORE GUNKED UP ATTY'S for the test)

kinabaloo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
vodka acts as cleaner and a slight amount mixed with your juice will act as a cleaner everytime you vape

low batt power will gunk up the atty due to incomplete burn of fuel. If you are having batt problem, the lack of power is gonna kill your atty faster...

Only have time to comment on a couple of points.

alcohol in mix - might have a slight effect

low-batt power: 'incomplete burn' usually means insufficient oxygen (irrelevant here); however did consider this some time ago but it would only effect VG decomposition extent, imo. Certainly would n't draw a general conclusion at this time; probably not true (beyond VG, where slower heat up builds up the concentration of the higher BP VG).

sattec

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
mcallen texas
...I'm stuck on a job right now but I am still able to show progress. Thanks to all for sending me your broken atty's. So far to 2 have been restored. I'm sending those back to the owner, you know who you are, I told you in an e-mail. I need everybody to send me a PM telling me what kind of juice you are using, I NEED TO KNOW.....it's important for me to know what the gunk consist of, what's the base juice. Include your real name, the name on the package you sent! Thanks again!!!

sattec

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
mcallen texas
well, nobody pm'd me so I'll just give the solution here and now.
First let me say, I spent alot of time figuring this out. The best thing I have found to clean your atty's with no fuss is ...crest pro mouthwash blue.
For some reason this solution straight out of the bottle out performs anything I tried. Here's some tips I learned...

1. your gonna ruin the "prime"after you clean with crest mouthwash. Repriming can be tough
2. If your really cleaning the gunk off, the solution will turn green and you'll clearly see small black balls of gunk in the jar you use.
3. Just put your atty's in a jar and add enough crest to cover the atty's and shake the jar for about 15 minutes. The atty's should be laying down
in the jar
4. dry them completely. Don't try to burn off the crest solution, it takes forever.

thats it guys....I had over 40 atty's in this test and everybody uses different juice, this solution of straight crest mouthwash did the best job of anything....the only variation I found that might help was to add one half a tablet of eferdent false teeth cleaner to the mix. But really, the crest alone does very well.....

Thanks to everybody that sent in the atty's, I ruined every one of them in order to really see what was happing when I soaked them in cleaner....Oh yeah, the crest will not attack the glue holding the atty together....that was a problem with a few of the solution I tried, they worked well but melted the glue....thanks again!!!! Sorry it took so long but I had to go on a job and have been away from home for a while.....

I am eager to hear the results from you guys, give it try, you'll be surprised how well your old atty's will perform after cleaning with crest mouth wash, plus they have a great fresh smell and all the old flavoring is washed away......

Last edited:

ProfessorDaffy

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Acme Looniversity
well, nobody pm'd me so I'll just give the solution here and now.
First let me say, I spent alot of time figuring this out. The best thing I have found to clean your atty's with no fuss is ...crest mouthwash blue.
For some reason this solution straight out of the bottle out performs anything I tried. Here's some tips I learned...

1. your gonna ruin the "prime"after you clean with crest mouthwash. Repriming can be tough
2. If your really cleaning the gunk off, the solution will turn green and you'll clearly see small black balls of gunk in the jar you use.
3. Just put your atty's in a jar and add enough crest to cover the atty's and shake the jar for about 15 minutes. The atty's should be laying down
in the jar
4. dry them completely. Don't try to burn off the crest solution, it takes forever.

thats it guys....I had over 40 atty's in this test and everybody uses different juice, this solution of straight crest mouthwash did the best job of anything....the only variation I found that might help was to add one half a tablet of eferdent false teeth cleaner to the mix. But really, the crest alone does very well.....

Thanks to everybody that sent in the atty's, I ruined every one of them in order to really see what was happing when I soaked them in cleaner....Oh yeah, the crest will not attack the glue holding the atty together....that was a problem with a few of the solution I tried, they worked well but melted the glue....thanks again!!!! Sorry it took so long but I had to go on a job and have been away from home for a while.....

I am eager to hear the results from you guys, give it try, you'll be surprised how well your old atty's will perform after cleaning with crest mouth wash, plus they have a great fresh smell and all the old flavoring is washed away......

I think I just heard about a hundred car doors slamming as everyone runs out to increase the cost of Crest™ stock. Tomorrow there'll be some guy at Walmart scratching his head and saying, "didn't I just restock the mouthwash yesterday?"

Thanks for sharing.

--Prof Daffy
P.S. 15 minutes doesn't seem like a very long time. Would soaking overnight make any real difference?
P.P.S. Just add atomizers and shake. But please wait until you get out of the store...

n36407889_31722988_2135.jpg

sattec

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
mcallen texas
15 minutes is all you need, agitate it during the 15 minutes often. I think this is it....the 801 and 112 cleanup very nice using this solution and the best part is there is no complex mixing of multible products, this one solution kicks ..... The key is if you see small flakes or balls of grud in the bottom of the jar, it's working! And if it cleans really well, the solution turns green and you'll see plenty of black junk in the bottom of the jar....I eagarlly await your results....go for it guys....:D oh yeah, you can save the dark solution and use it again if you want! Don't use hydrogen peroxide, alcohol, or vodka...this crest mouthwash works better. thanks again to everybody that sent in dead atty's, I couldn't do this without an almost unlimited supply of test material....some of the guys I work with helped me complete the test....they are all pumped up and want to start vaping now!!!!!!:D. You can expect to bring your atty's back to about 80-90% of what they were when they were new...plus the crest will clean out the air ways, this is very important! those airways must be free of gunk to flow air properly.....the only downside is repriming the atty and they need to get hotter before they vaporize the juice....you have to "pump" it to get everything hot. I not kidding when I say repriming can be tough....I've put twenty drops into a 801 aty to finally get it to "primed" and totally wet...let it dry too before you start to prime it , get all the mouth wash out first!

Last edited:

riche

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2009
Cape Town
Hi there ...
Pleazzee help - getting tired of trashing atties with attemts at cleaning :-(
I am not in the USA - we dont have CREST mouthwash...
What are the listed ingedients - so I can use one of my local mouthwashes???
I did try a denture cleaner a while back - helped a bit - so I recon your oral cleaner solution may be the way to go ...
Ta ... RICHe

sattec

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
mcallen texas
Just try any mouth wash you can get, plus add the efferdent tablet and you should be close to a solution. Your gonna have to make your own cleaner with what you can get in your country. You probably can't "make" crest pro health mouthwash in your country. You'd need to order the ingredients or order the pro health and ship it in....Efferdent is not cheap imo, but it does act as a booster with pro health, but I don't think it's worth the extra cost....and do not use rubbing alcohol people...please...it can be harmful vaporized. there's no reason to use rubbing alcohol....

riche

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2009
Cape Town
Thanks for that …
Will try some mouth-washers here – plus add in ½ denture fizzy cleaner tab.
Well at least from now my breath will be pristine – no analogue cigs and plenty mouthwash. :)
[FONT="]Alcohol – tried it – It killed an atty – tasted like ***** – luckily my supplier swapped it out as it was fairly new and should not have needed such drastic cleaning measures so soon [/FONT];)
Later ... :evil:

ProfessorDaffy

ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2009
Acme Looniversity
Hi there ...
Pleazzee help - getting tired of trashing atties with attemts at cleaning :-(
I am not in the USA - we dont have CREST mouthwash...
What are the listed ingedients - so I can use one of my local mouthwashes???
I did try a denture cleaner a while back - helped a bit - so I recon your oral cleaner solution may be the way to go ...
Ta ... RICHe

We feel your pain! I don't know if this will help, but here are the ingredients from the bottle. Maybe you can find the closest match...

Active Ingredient: Cetylpyridinium Chloride (0.07%). Inactive Ingredients: Water, Glycerin, Flavor, Poloxamer 407, Sodium Saccharin, Blue 1.

I've got some soaking right now. First time I've seen black specks during a cleaning, so I know that's got to be a good sign. Liquid hasn't turned green yet, but noticed the liquid does look a little darker.

I always rinse with warm water after a cleaning then soak in hot water for about 30 minutes just to dilute whatever I'm using. Then dry completely.

I'm cleaning one atty that I basically just cleaned (lemon juice) and 4 completely dead and abandoned attys. I do not expect the dead ones to come to life under any circumstances, but I'll let you know if they do.

--Prof Daffy

sattec

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
mcallen texas
"First time I've seen black specks during a cleaning"

the new threshold, no black specks/chunks, actual cleaning is probably not happening. Ever notice how many people using a "cleaner" don't report any chunks or flakes of gunk in the solution.....nobody has ever reported their rubbing alcohol turning dark either...

don't forget to agitate it often! Just shake the jar every so often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread