Affordable Kickable Mechanical Tube Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
im wondering what my options are for this type of mod. i normally dont look at mechanical mods but now that im into RBAs i figured id give one a shot. if i dont like it, at least i can kick it. thats why im looking for an affordable one because I might need to add approx $50 for the kick with shipping by the time its all said and done.

id prefer a mod that is not obvious that it changes size, like the Natural. are there any other economically priced mods out there that are either strictly 18650-sized, or not obvious that they change size?

speaking of the Natural, does anyone happen to know where the best price on one can be had? the best price im seeing at the moment is $52.99.

ive looked at the Bolt. the price is nice but im wondering if RBAs will sit flush on top.

Cjax

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2012
RVa USA
There is a small gap on the Bolt, maybe 1mm, not much. Also with 2 extensions you can kick any size battery. That was my very first mod. It's a great little mod, but I'll warn you, my switch gave out on it after a month from using a kick. Supposedly the newer Bolts have better wiring and switches, but not the one I had. It is, however, a VERY easy fix to replace if you are somewhat mechanically inclined. All in all, though, if I were to do it all over again, I'd get something FULLY mechanical to use with the kick. The Natural is a great looking mod for the price, but I'm not sure that can kick an 18650. There is also the CCTS "Chi Chi" and Sigelei has a mod out (or coming out very soon) that looks just like the Natural.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin

^^excellent. thats for posting that list :thumb:

wow ive never seen that UDT-L before. that looks nice n sleek and the price is ultra nice. just what im looking for and probably why theyre sold out... but i can wait. this one is on my list. however, i wonder if it is fully mechanical. :confused:

I would really suggest the Natural. I got mine to use with my AGA-T2 and my inbound AC9 clone, but once I got the Kick for it, I started using my VAMO less and less. It's just so much more elegant and a smaller form factor.

thanks for your advice. the natural is certainly a front-runner for me.

There is a small gap on the Bolt, maybe 1mm, not much. Also with 2 extensions you can kick any size battery. That was my very first mod. It's a great little mod, but I'll warn you, my switch gave out on it after a month from using a kick. Supposedly the newer Bolts have better wiring and switches, but not the one I had. It is, however, a VERY easy fix to replace if you are somewhat mechanically inclined. All in all, though, if I were to do it all over again, I'd get something FULLY mechanical to use with the kick. The Natural is a great looking mod for the price, but I'm not sure that can kick an 18650. There is also the CCTS "Chi Chi" and Sigelei has a mod out (or coming out very soon) that looks just like the Natural.

interesting. i was *almost* sold on the Bolt until i hear that its not fully mechanical. im looking for fully mechanical. thanks for bringing that up. the ChiChi is on my list too. i cant decide if i like the look of it over the natural though. the taperd top could be a boon or a hassle depending on which atomizer i put on top. i really prefer a flush look.

i think im going to wait until i see the Sigelei mech mod thats coming out. but as for now, its the Natural, ChiChi, and the UDT-L that are on my radar. if the UDT-L is indeed fully mechanical, that is. and this is before i fully explore the list darkhood posted.

Last edited:

stillnotsmoking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
GA, USA
The bolt is a great PV although not fully mechanical the kick will eventually wear it out (the switch). It is however pretty easy to replace the switch with a higher quality one and some beefier wire inside there as well if you can solder. I love my Bolt, but I've also been eyeing the Natural lately also. Very slick looking mod, fully mechanical and kickable! I have read some reports that people need to sand the contacts down to brass in the natural for less voltage drop under load. Also the K100 looks very nice, although I have no experience with those. Could also consider the TEC Telescope if you like bottom buttons.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
interesting. i was *almost* sold on the Bolt until i hear that its not fully mechanical. im looking for fully mechanical. thanks for bringing that up. the ChiChi is on my list too. i cant decide if i like the look of it over the natural though. the taperd top could be a boon or a hassle depending on which atomizer i put on top. i really prefer a flush look.

i think im going to wait until i see the Sigelei mech mod thats coming out. but as for now, its the Natural, ChiChi, and the UDT-L that are on my radar. if the UDT-L is indeed fully mechanical, that is. and this is before i fully explore the list darkhood posted.

First off, the UDT-L is not fully mechanical. It is the same as the Paladin carried by SmokeRevolt. The Natural is fully mechanical and is a very good mod in my opinion. Been enjoying mine for a few weeks now with either the Igo-L or the Smok RDA attached to it. They only make it in the flush top now. The tapered top is a thing of the past. I was going to get the KTS Storm telescopic until I realized it was a tapered top also. You might check out Stormy's selection. They also seem to have most mechanicals in stock at the moment. Not saying their prices are the best, but being in stock seems to trump the price it seems lately... They have a new telescopic mechanical called the MKB-TS that has an air control top cap on it. Don't knows if it can be taken off and used without it.

finagle69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2013
Sacramento, CA
The Natural has an adjustable positive center pin, and the negative pin is spring loaded as well.

After sanding down all of the contact points, full brass is exposed. I measured a 0.3V drop under load on my 1.5ohm coil on my AGA-T2 last night. Not bad for a $50 mod.

And in kick mode, you can only use an 18490/500 with the tubes that come with it. I believe an 18500 tube exists, but is out of stock. With that, I'm assuming you could kick an 18350.

I love it kicked with an 18490. The height is damn near identical to the VAMO in 18350 mode and is just a perfect size.

Cjax

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2012
RVa USA
I can say this concerning your dilemma of a tapered vs a flat top. A flat top mod looks much better with a smaller rba than a tapered top does with a larger one. And with a flat top mod the chances of the rba being too big for the top are much less than with a tapered one. Just my opinion, but I'd always go with a flat top over a tapered one if given a choice.

Last edited:

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
The Natural has an adjustable positive center pin, and the negative pin is spring loaded as well.

After sanding down all of the contact points, full brass is exposed. I measured a 0.3V drop under load on my 1.5ohm coil on my AGA-T2 last night. Not bad for a $50 mod.

And in kick mode, you can only use an 18490/500 with the tubes that come with it. I believe an 18500 tube exists, but is out of stock. With that, I'm assuming you could kick an 18350.

I love it kicked with an 18490. The height is damn near identical to the VAMO in 18350 mode and is just a perfect size.

by contact points, do you mean the 510 connector and battery contact points? what is the purpose of sanding down the contact points? does it produce less of a voltage drop when you do this?

also, i thought it was not safe to kick any battery smaller than an 18490. it would however be great to kick a smaller battery allowing for a smaller overall device.

jetta64

Mar 18, 2013
OK
I really like my kts and the new protank looks nice atop. :)

3F47EBBE-43EB-463E-9BD6-DC8F0C976478-4305-000004D4BEA8FED4_zps08634640.jpg

stillnotsmoking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
GA, USA
by contact points, do you mean the 510 connector and battery contact points? what is the purpose of sanding down the contact points? does it produce less of a voltage drop when you do this?

also, i thought it was not safe to kick any battery smaller than an 18490. it would however be great to kick a smaller battery allowing for a smaller overall device.

The contact points are coated like the tube itself. I don't see the issue kicking a 18350?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread