Status
Not open for further replies.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
Preference. There is also life span a mod with a chip has a life span when the switch goes or something quits working unless you have a Provari or box mod with builder support you going to have to buy a new one. A mechanical mod pretty much any part that can where out can be had at a hardware store.
Some people appreciate craftsman ship over technology I do not think there is a right or wrong answer or whats better or worse. It just boils down to what do you like.

Skribble

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2012
Texas
While a mechanical mod is not "better" in terms of vaping than say a provari, There is something to be said of the comfort a Mechanical mod can bring. Should the vapocalypse occure, eventually the chip in your provari will fail. A mechanical mod is like ol' reliable, it will always be there to get you out of a pinch.

pianoguy

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2009
Apple Valley, MN
Yep. I can work on an old Model T. I can't do nothin' with my tricked out VW CC. Have to call the professionals.

I feel comfortable with my REO. I understand it...all of its parts & screws. Easy as a Model T.

Amen. I'm sure a Provari, etc. is nice. But I wouldn't want to subject it to the same torture my REO Grand endures. I can fix the Grand myself if the need ever arises.

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Orleans, LA
Amen. I'm sure a Provari, etc. is nice. But I wouldn't want to subject it to the same torture my REO Grand endures. I can fix the Grand myself if the need ever arises.

man i want a reo so bad and i dont even care about the costs but that buying process is crazy lol

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    To each their own, not a bit different than having a favorite atty or carto.
    Threr are 4 VV & VW PV's sitting on my desk right now, but there is a mechanical mod in my hand.

edit:
    What's so tough about buying a Reo? I just went to Reosmods.com and sent them $144. It was no different than buying any other PV.

Last edited:

Bosco

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2012
    San Antonio
    For myself, I see little point to purchasing a mechanical mod. I like the concept of having a really simple device with no electronics to break but the pricing is insane. I'm expected to pay upwards of $50 bucks for a metal pipe that fits a battery? I don't care how silky smooth the threads are or how lovely the finish . . . I can build an ugly one for 20 bucks tops.

And when considering building one - you could also consider that if you use electronics - you can just replace them if they break. They sell a box mod kit at Mad Vapes for $9. That's right . .9 dollars gets you all the parts you need to assemble a simple PV.

Skribble

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    Texas
    For myself, I see little point to purchasing a mechanical mod. I like the concept of having a really simple device with no electronics to break but the pricing is insane. I'm expected to pay upwards of $50 bucks for a metal pipe that fits a battery? I don't care how silky smooth the threads are or how lovely the finish . . . I can build an ugly one for 20 bucks tops.

And when considering building one - you could also consider that if you use electronics - you can just replace them if they break. They sell a box mod kit at Mad Vapes for $9. That's right . .9 dollars gets you all the parts you need to assemble a simple PV.
    Actually, most nice mechanical mods are $150+

Skribble

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    Texas
    Would you mind paying $150 for a phone? How about a pc? Game system? Stereo for your car? These are things we use everyday. I personally have my pv glued to me all day long and don't mind paying for excellent hand made crafstmanship. Holding and looking at some of these top end Pv's is like looking at artwork. Also, how much did you save quitting cigs? 150$ is nothing.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I've seen mechanical mods for on the cheap. The original Smoktech Gripper for $16. There're out there.

gripper-mod-smoktech-18350.jpg Gripper-by-Smoktech.jpg

Skribble

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    Texas
    I've seen mechanical mods for on the cheap. The original Smoktech Gripper for $16. There're out there.

View attachment 174048 View attachment 174049

I don't understand why people want to buy these cheap Chinese mods. Have you guys forgotten how much you used to spend on cigs? I spent nearly $300 a month on analogs. Just put $10 everyday into a jar at home, just like you would be using on a pack a day. After the month is over use that money to buy a nice mechanical mod THAT WILL LAST FOREVER.

echofinder

ECF Veteran
    Jan 8, 2012
    Damascus, MD
    www.reddit.com
    I prefer the durability and simplicity of mechanical mods; to be honest, though chip/computer technology is very good these days, I still don't trust it as much as old-school mechanics.

Simplicity - I like 3.7v vaping. It satisfies and makes shopping very easy. Find some low-res SC cartos. Find some 18650s. I know exactly what I need for my setup, and have no need to vary this or to keep a huge stockpile of diverse supplies.

enoryt

Verified Member
    Dec 6, 2009
    Orange County
    It's the novelty of the mechanical mods that make em popular in my opinion. When it comes down to it, its personal preference, sure the vv has more options and whistles and should provide a better vape, but people fall in love with designs of mechanicals. It's just up to the buyer to see the benefits. For me personally, I do like the higher end mech's, they're pretty but I just can't seem to justify the purchase when I know in my experience vv/vw provides a better option, and plus I hope to quit vaping completely in the next few years. If I'm still vaping years from now with little change in my set up, I will definitely consider it.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I don't understand why people want to buy these cheap Chinese mods. Have you guys forgotten how much you used to spend on cigs? I spent nearly $300 a month on analogs. Just put $10 everyday into a jar at home, just like you would be using on a pack a day. After the month is over use that money to buy a nice mechanical mod THAT WILL LAST FOREVER.

My comment was in response to Bosco's complaints about what he considered ridiculous prices for mechanical mods. I was merely pointing out that if you look hard enough you can find something in your price range.

I will be the first to agree about the cheap materials and poor workmanship on most cheap Chinese mods. The topic comes up frequently when comparing the $165 Provari to the cheaper Chinese variable voltage/wattage devices that can be had for $50. "Well, the Provari is too expensive and not worth that price. I could get three of these for the price of a Provari."

What they fail to see is the Provari is built just as well as any great mechanical mod and can be expected to last years, not months. And should it need service, Provape will do so long after the 1 year warranty is expired for very reasonable prices. How long do you think that $50 Chinese mod is going to last? And who do you think is going to fix it after the 30 day warranty is expired? Nobody, get out your credit card because now you need to buy ANOTHER mod.

Having said that, the above Gripper can find a place in some vapor's setup. I considered getting one to stealth vape at an indoor concert. Not wanting to take a more expensive PV with me that could possibly be confiscated by security, the Gripper seemed like a great idea and I would be out very little money.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread