Mechanical mods, what is the point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bosco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
San Antonio
Would you mind paying $150 for a phone? How about a pc? Game system? Stereo for your car? These are things we use everyday. I personally have my pv glued to me all day long and don't mind paying for excellent hand made crafstmanship. Holding and looking at some of these top end Pv's is like looking at artwork. Also, how much did you save quitting cigs? 150$ is nothing.

I actually do mind paying $150 for a phone. I use my laptop every day and I paid around $1500 for it. That doesn't mean I would pay 2000 or 3000 for it. And since I've been working in the computer industry for more than 10 years and my laptop is my main source of income . .that means it's brought me several hundreds of thousands of dollars . . but it doesn't mean I would 50,000 for a laptop.

A thing's worth is based on the time and materials that go into it . .and also the markets willingness to pay. If you like spending 150 bucks for a metal pipe that fits a battery - great. I won't complain. I was just expressing my opinion that they're not worth it . .to me.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Just sayin'

minimalmod.jpg

Leatherneck

ECF Veteran
    Jan 7, 2013
    Oregon
    I don't understand why people want to buy these cheap Chinese mods. Have you guys forgotten how much you used to spend on cigs? I spent nearly $300 a month on analogs. Just put $10 everyday into a jar at home, just like you would be using on a pack a day. After the month is over use that money to buy a nice mechanical mod THAT WILL LAST FOREVER.

If people didn't buy cheap Chinese mods, there would be none. This would be a detriment to the hobby/industry.

Most folks balk at spending $160+ for a mod, and that's even after they know vaping is "for them". For many people, when they want to try something out, they don't go and buy the most expensive thing they can find, hoping they didn't waste their money on something they won't use.

Would some new vapers go into it at full cost? Sure. But I suspect there wouldn't really be enough of them to support a company like Provari.

I think if there weren't cheap Chinese mods, there would be no Provari as there wouldn't be enough money in the industry to support them.

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Cost is a funny deal. My wife never seemed to notice the 7-15 bucks I spent every day for smokes, but damn does she ever notice when I spend $150 for a PV that will last for years.
    You should of heard her this morning when she found out that I bought a gallon of PG and a gallon of VG yesterday, cost 48 bucks. Guess she would rather I spent 6 bucks for 10ml of juice.

Leatherneck

ECF Veteran
    Jan 7, 2013
    Oregon
    Cost is a funny deal. My wife never seemed to notice the 7-15 bucks I spent every day for smokes, but damn does she ever notice when I spend $150 for a PV that will last for years.
    You should of heard her this morning when she found out that I bought a gallon of PG and a gallon of VG yesterday, cost 48 bucks. Guess she would rather I spent 6 bucks for 10ml of juice.

Yah, the slow bleed is easier to take. A little bit at a time is easier to accept than all at once.

Bosco

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2012
    San Antonio
    I'd like to see footage of someone vaping that.

Preferably with EMT and a fire extinguisher nearby, JIC.

It's got a built in safety feature that no other mech mods have . . if the battery starts getting hot, the connection automatically breaks :)

Plus . .I dig the universal adapter.

Skribble

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    Texas
    I actually do mind paying $150 for a phone. I use my laptop every day and I paid around $1500 for it. That doesn't mean I would pay 2000 or 3000 for it. And since I've been working in the computer industry for more than 10 years and my laptop is my main source of income . .that means it's brought me several hundreds of thousands of dollars . . but it doesn't mean I would 50,000 for a laptop.

A thing's worth is based on the time and materials that go into it . .and also the markets willingness to pay. If you like spending 150 bucks for a metal pipe that fits a battery - great. I won't complain. I was just expressing my opinion that they're not worth it . .to me.

Are you seriously saying that a ihybrid is just a "metal tube that fits a battery"? It's a work of art man, that's like me saying your laptop is a plastic rectangle that can hold a battery. I can tell you that a lot more time and effort went into making that mechanical mod than it took an assembly line to create your laptop.

enoryt

Verified Member
    Dec 6, 2009
    Orange County
    I think the analogy he should go for is the abacus compared to a nice calculator. Sure the Calculator can calculate faster, but you feel more in tune with your device if you practice and learn with the abacus. You notice every detail and the craftsmanship as opposed to the mass produced calculator. The abacus will last forever, as long as you take care of it, but obviously there are calculators built like tanks as well. The question is, are you enjoying the calculations (vape) or the art of the piece itself?

Skribble

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    Texas
    I think the analogy he should go for is the abacus compared to a nice calculator. Sure the Calculator can calculate faster, but you feel more in tune with your device if you practice and learn with the abacus. You notice every detail and the craftsmanship as opposed to the mass produced calculator. The abacus will last forever, as long as you take care of it, but obviously there are calculators built like tanks as well. The question is, are you enjoying the calculations (vape) or the art of the piece itself?

The art of the peice itself (to me) plays a role in how I enjoy Vaping. It's hard to put my finger on it. Vaping on a provari at 3.7 and Vaping on a wizards apprentice just doesn't feel the same. The wizards apprentice is such a finely crafted piece of art. It just adds another level to Vaping for me. I know most people won't shell out the $300 to get one, but for those that do, you should know what I'm talking about. It's like driving a Porsche at 60mph and driving a vw bug at 60mph. Sure hey are both going the same speed. But one just feels a lot better to drive.

Bosco

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2012
    San Antonio
    Are you seriously saying that a ihybrid is just a "metal tube that fits a battery"? It's a work of art man, that's like me saying your laptop is a plastic rectangle that can hold a battery. I can tell you that a lot more time and effort went into making that mechanical mod than it took an assembly line to create your laptop.

Sort of . . .in essence, it is a metal tube that fits a battery. It incudes an RBA . .but outside of that it is essentially a metal tube that holds a battery. It is really nice looking and some of them have very fancy decorations. But I bet the case of a mag-lite flashlight is machined just as well.

Of course - the worth of art is subjective . .but to me a PV isn't art . .it's a lot more like a flashlight. If somebody was selling hand machined, hand etched flashlights . .I'd probably pass.

But my purpose in commenting on this thread is not to diss on anybody's choices in what PV to buy or what to pay for it . .I was just expressing my own opinion on the question - what's the point of purchasing a mechanical mod? To me, there isn't one. I totally respect the ideas and opinions of others that may differ from my own.

tmcase

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 20, 2011
    To each their own, not a bit different than having a favorite atty or carto.
    Threr are 4 VV & VW PV's sitting on my desk right now, but there is a mechanical mod in my hand.

edit:
    What's so tough about buying a Reo? I just went to Reosmods.com and sent them $144. It was no different than buying any other PV.

The problem with REOs is availability. There aren't many available at any one time. Especially the VV REOs and Woodvils.

AlmityPunx

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 16, 2012
    Texas
    im really diggin my China GG. got it for $35 i believe.

i like it for the durability and i got it so i can practice making coils for my RBA... first time around with the 3ft of wire i blew every coil! also shorted out my cheap eGo passthrough...

but after having it for about a week now i find i use it as much as my Zmax. i just dig it. got in some 18350 batteries yesterday (they so tiny!) so now i can semi-stealth... although with a nova tank and a nice drip tip... not so much.

its all about prefrences...

jimmyh

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 17, 2012
    Niagara Falls NY
    Sort of . . .in essence, it is a metal tube that fits a battery. It incudes an RBA . .but outside of that it is essentially a metal tube that holds a battery. It is really nice looking and some of them have very fancy decorations. But I bet the case of a mag-lite flashlight is machined just as well.

Of course - the worth of art is subjective . .but to me a PV isn't art . .it's a lot more like a flashlight. If somebody was selling hand machined, hand etched flashlights . .I'd probably pass.

But my purpose in commenting on this thread is not to diss on anybody's choices in what PV to buy or what to pay for it . .I was just expressing my own opinion on the question - what's the point of purchasing a mechanical mod? To me, there isn't one. I totally respect the ideas and opinions of others that may differ from my own.

The mag lite you bring up cost more and is better built. I own a $100 Legacy mini as a backup and a ProVari mini as my every day use. If I want junk I order from China. Just personal preference.

Last edited:

spodletela

Jul 5, 2012
    Slovenia, EU
    Dont understand me wrong, i apriciate my roller and my did but those "cheap chinese mods" and
    DID clones, i cant understand why someone has something agains them, the atomizers are dead
    simple and you get one for 5.64$ if you buy a batch of 50. The DID is around 100$ and it is same
    dead simple principle, to me it seems a rip off.

I think everybody is forgetting what ecigs are all about, the VAPOR, and i bet the cheap chinese
    DID copy can provide the same vapor using the same "self-rolled-uk-mesh-with-3rd-party-kanthal-wire".
    It is a freaking container with few holes, and screws. Maybe doesnt have the same nice look, but
    hey, for 10 time the price i can have it gold plated.

Try dropping your regulated mods into a toilet and get back to me how they perform five minutes later.

Yes, true, but for the price of the roller and kick i can have 3... now how stupid a person must be to do
    it three times :confused: And kick would also die.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread