Aga-T wick length and coil wraps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azphat12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
Coolidge, Arizona, United States
Hmm...maybe i should get some 28. Right now...32awg if I try for 5 or 6 coils...its a hotspot nightmare.
If I do 4... its fine. Been using this coil for 3 days now and its been working good.
Also.. I turned it down from 9w to 7.5 and it seems to be tasting better.

Hopefully this week Ill put in an order for some more 500 mesh and a roll of 28 gauge.
Ill see what happens with that.

xbassman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
Tulsa, OK. USA
Hmm...maybe i should get some 28. Right now...32awg if I try for 5 or 6 coils...its a hotspot nightmare.
If I do 4... its fine. Been using this coil for 3 days now and its been working good.

Hopefully this week Ill put in an order for some more 500 mesh and a roll of 28 gauge.

I've got some 28 gauge kanthal here as well.
Kinda scared to use it since I got such a low res coil using 30 gauge.

I just refilled my tank and noticed as it was almost empty I was starting to get a hot spot near the top.
Filling the tank solved it though....

Here's a pic shortly after I coiled it. 1.2 ohms.....

aga-t%20coil.png

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl

yes, 28g is awesome. once you use it you will never look back. you definately be lowering the ohms by using the 28g, unless you can add more wraps. i have 2 gennys, a regular DID and an aga-t. on both i do 4/5 wraps to get to 0.09 to1.0 ohms. if your pv can do this it is an awesome vape. if you have a mechanical mod, no problems, but if you have a VV mod it may not handle these lower ohms. i have a provari and it works really well. if a 4/5 wrap is to low you may need a 5/6. it just depends on the size of your wick hole. if you really want higher resistances in your atty 28 might not be the way to go. for me low resistance in a genny is far better than higher. last week i must of did a 5/6 wrap instead of a 4/5. instead of my usaul 0.09 to 1.0 coil i was getting a 1.3 ish coil, i could really tell the difference. the lower ohm coil has a much thicker vaper. the only thing is you will drain your batterys quicker.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl

noticed you have a vamo, not sure if you can go below 1.2 ohms, but if you mess around with the 28g, i would say a 5/6 wrap on your aga-t. you will get in around 1.3 ohms. that would be a good vape.

Azphat12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
Yea, I started noticing shut offs when I was hovering around 1ohm ish.
I ordered a 100ft spool of 28awg. Should be here today or tomorrow.

Im figuring a 4/5 or 5/6 would work. I found when I did a good coil....I only vaped at 7.5 watts instead of 9 or 10.
That alone jumped my battery up alot....

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl

Im figuring a 4/5 or 5/6 would work. I found when I did a good coil....I only vaped at 7.5 watts instead of 9 or 10.

that should last you a while. i just did a coil on my aga-t with 28g. 4/5 wrap @ 1.1 ohms i am vaping it @ 3.8 volts on my provari which comes in about 13 watts. its a great vape. now with my real DID genny i also use 28g but because the diameter of the wick is slightly bigger, the same 4/5 wrap gives me a 0.09 ohm coil. now vaping that @ 3.5 volts gives the same wattage as the aga-t wrap but for some reason the 0.09 coil has a better vape. i can really tell the difference of the vape from just 1.1 to 0.09. its hard to explain, its just fuller.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl

also something you can do is this, you know how in my explanation of my 2 different diameter wicks. my DID wick diameter compared to the diameter of the aga-t wick. because of the smaller diameter of the aga wick the resistance is higher (more wire higher resistance) right. so if you lets say did a 5/6 wrap of 28 and it gave you a 1.5ohm but you wanted to try something a little lower. instead of doing a 4/5 wrap which might get you something a little bit to low for your vamo to handle you can make it up in mesh. you can when making the mesh, make the top part of the mesh (the part that you wrap the coil around) one more layer than the bottom of the mesh. so when you actually cut the mesh, cut it in the shape of an "L". its all one piece of mesh. so you can change the resistances that way alittle. obviously you cannot make the bottom of the wick bigger because it will not fit into the wick hole. just something to think about. anyways good luck

Azphat12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
Well I did not get the 28awg today....but wanted to try another method I saw.

I used a threaded bolt to wrap my coil
I unscrewed the coil and put my wick through
It actually was almost the perfect fit.

I tightened it all down...and very quickly got it adjusted.
I got about 7 wraps out of it... which is unusual since I normally couldnt get more than 4 without issues

I have a feeling that the 28awg will be way easier to work with.... should be here tomorrow

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
sometimes i use the bolt or drill bit method, you definately get more wraps, nice and even too. but i dont do alot of wraps anyways so it is just as easy if not easier just to wrap the wick regular. i think if the coils are to close they get gunked up quicker. the trick with the aga-t is the top of the wick. because the wick hole is kind of far away from the center post, you kind of need to bend the wick slightly over to the center post, to get it closer. that why especially the aga i just wrap the coil regular. if you do not get the wick closer to the center post you will get a major hot spot on the top coil. in my other gennys the wick hole is much closer to the CP. so you need to inset the wick and wrap the coil and before you attach to the top nut, you need to bend the wick over alittle. then attach and tighten. but when you tighten top nut that also tightens up the top coil against the wick, which is not good. it is very easy to make the top coil to tight. so you may need to ajust and readjust to get it right. if you get a top hot spot it usally is, wick has a frey on the edge of wick, top of wick not oxidized enough, top coil is to tight or to loose, or the distance of the wick to the CP not right. it is uaually the last 2 that happen.

Last edited:

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
sometimes i use the bolt or drill bit method, you definately get more wraps, nice and even too. but i dont do alot of wraps anyways so it is just as easy if not easier just to wrap the wick regular. i think if the coils are to close they get gunked up quicker. the trick with the aga-t is the top of the wick. because the wick hole is kind of far away from the center post, you kind of need to bend the wick slightly over to the center post, to get it closer. that why especially the aga i just wrap the coil regular. if you do not get the wick closer to the center post you will get a major hot spot on the top coil. in my other gennys the wick hole is much closer to the CP. so you need to inset the wick and wrap the coil and before you attach to the top nut, you need to bend the wick over alittle. then attach and tighten. but when you tighten top nut that also tightens up the top coil against the wick, which is not good. it is very easy to make the top coil to tight. so you may need to ajust and readjust to get it right. if you get a top hot spot it usally is, wick has a frey on the edge of wick, top of wick not oxidized enough, top coil is to tight or to loose, or the distance of the wick to the CP not right. it is uaually the last 2 that happen.

Two ways to alleviate the top lead hot spot: When building the coil, double back the wire at the top, and twist it, before making the top connection.
Or
Get a couple small stainless washers (Ace Hardware), and put them on the top post, between the top and second nut. Connect the wire between the two washers. The diameter of the washers will be pretty close to the side of the wick, thus lessening the distance of the top lead.

Azphat12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
photo1.jpg

I have already added the washer/springs. That did help alot with the tension.

I simply took a small washer along the bottom of the center post
Then I took the tiny nut that came with the aga-t and screwed that down.
The spring fit just over the nut...and still fit the washer base.... very nice
Then I took another small nut along the top...added 2 washers and a bigger nut.
The 2 smaller nuts in the center just hold the spring inplace. It works out pretty well...doesnt shift at all.

never_enough_juice

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
Hazard, Kentucky
so I ordered some 34g kanthal wire and believe it or not I really like it. . .it sounds stupid but every coil I've wrapped with it has been killer. . .I got is so I could try twisting it together to lower the ohms but I haven't tried that yet. . .I've probably just been getting lucky but it seems like I can control the ohms alot better depending on the number of wraps, you know......

Azphat12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
Ok, I got the 28awg.

I wrapped it alot.... and it was sitting at 1.8ohms. But the coils took awhile to heat up.
I had to turn the pv on...let it heat up a little....few primer puffs.... still heat up....then the vape was good.
The top cap started getting really hot since I had to keep it firing so long to get a decent vape.

I removed some coils...didnt help.
I then re-wrapped.... I think around 7 wraps. It fired at 1.5 ohms.
It seemed to light up much faster....but if my ohms went UNDER 1.5.....the pv would error out.
Give the top cap a little tap....it would move from say 1.4 back to 1.5 and then vape....

I cant take this!!! lol
The 28awg coils definately were easy to use.... once they got set...they didnt move like the 32awg did.

Azphat12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
So with the Vamo...I know there are some limitations.
Here are my options....

Keep the Vamo (maybe a stacked 18350 will provide more power?)
I can get a Provari (just won my fantasy league...woooot woooot!)
I can do away with genesis and keep my vivi nova

Or anyone have any other ideas?
I dont seem to be getting hot spots anymore...especially with the 28awg
Is there a trick to wrapping the 28awg (extra) so it thinks its a higher ohm rating but keep the coils low?
Or is there another reason that the coils are taking that long to heat up?

xbassman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
Tulsa, OK. USA
Expecting a Vamo for Christmas....
Until then, my AGA-T is sitting atop a Silver Bullet.
I thought a Vamo was supposed to fire as low as 1.2 ohms.
Hope it does for me since my coil is pretty perfect for a fixed voltage mod.

It sounds like yours is hitting like mine was when I was coiled around 1.9 ohms.

Have you tried upping the wattage you're hitting it?
From tests I've seen, at higher levels a Vamo performs better with stacked 18350's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xbassman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
Tulsa, OK. USA
Yea it starts to hit its limitations around 11ish watts with a single 18650 according to some reviews.
I might try some 18350's.... but vaping it at over 11 watts is going to drain the battery quickly I can imagine.

Well if I figure avg of 4V using mine, I am hitting 13.33W.
I am using an AW 3100mah protected 18650 in my Bullet so Power is not a concern.
Gonna be interesting to see if the Vamo will fire it. (I should be getting a pair of 18350 IMR's as well.)

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
cannot comment on the vamo, i am sure that the provari for now is the only vv device that will work on resistances under like 1.3 ohms. so on my set-up with the provari, i do use the 28g and ohms at 0.08 to 1.0. i can tell you with that the coils heat up quickly. i also use the same set-up on my mechanical mod. i have tried the 28 on the provari with higher ohms and didnt much care for it as much, but its been a while and do not remember how quickly the coils heated up with that set-up. but overall in my dealings with a genny, the vape is not instant like a regular atty. there is a delay sort of. you do have to prime it a little first.

Azphat12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
I have no issues with taking a primer puff. I normally do on everything...even a Vivi Nova.

But when I have to take 3 or 4, and the topcap is almost getting to hot to even touch...that is too much.
With 32awg....they would heat up quick. A primer puff....then a good vape.
With 28awg....and that many wraps to get a proper ohm on the Vamo... I have to fire it for too long and it just gets really hot.

The only reason I dont get a Provari is I really have come to like the variable wattage, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread