Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott_Simpson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN
OK, I have an AGA-T on the way and I'm trying to soak up as much genesis coil knowledge as possible since this will be my first mesh wick atomizer.

One thing I don't understand is why everyone seems to use really thick wire (e.g., 28-30 gauge) and shoot for really low resistance coils (e.g., 1.2-1.6Ω, or even lower) ... why is that? When I wrap coils for my Penelopes I use 33-36 gauge Kanthal A-1 for the R and 30 gauge silver for the NR and I shoot for 2.4-2.8Ω coil ...

C Heise

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2012
MN
I haven't tried 28g on stainless but I can see where it would take forever to heat up due to the heat loss. I have used 28g with other wicks in the AGA-T. I seem to burn up enough juice at 1.6 - 1.8 ohms so I can't say as though I see going any lower myself. If your into the really low resistance, I've heard the Vamo will fire anything using stacked 18350's. I can't see why stacking would make a difference in limits but supposedly it does.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
Here is today's experiments, the one with the longer wick is my first try at totally solid with 500 mesh, both are 2.1 ohms with 28 kanthal also a first for me. To all you guys still struggling I have only been successful just recently. I'm amazed at how well that I can see the imperfections of the wick/coil in the photos much better than with my magnifier lamp. Here they are: 28k 400 paperclip.jpg 28k 500 solid.jpg

I have checked them in the dark with the caps off at pretty high voltage and amazingly see no red (on Zmax)
Rich,thick,tasty vapor, even with those loose coils

When I get home this morning from work I will pull out the wicks, put the bit back into the coil and pull them tight, they should be working even better after that I hope.

Last edited:

xbassman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
Tulsa, OK. USA
I'm gonna have to recoil mine tomorrow if I get the chance.
My Vamo reads resistance as 1.1 ohms and won't fire. (even with stacked 18350's)
Using a Vivi in the meantime....

Using the resistance readings on the Vamo confirmed what I had thought all along.
Many of my atomizers are all over the place as to their actual resistance.

45root

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2012
montgomery, AL
Well after reading this thread I decided to recoil my aga t with some 28 g wire. It was working perfectly fine with 32. It works even better now imo. Although I used 9 wraps to get to 1.6 it still tastes better. I am thinking about removing 1 wrap at a time to get down to 1.2 ohms. I am using a vamo so thats my limit.

C Heise

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2012
MN
I'm gonna have to recoil mine tomorrow if I get the chance.
My Vamo reads resistance as 1.1 ohms and won't fire. (even with stacked 18350's)
Using a Vivi in the meantime....

Using the resistance readings on the Vamo confirmed what I had thought all along.
Many of my atomizers are all over the place as to their actual resistance.

I wrapped a 28g coil tonight that read 1.8 then I put juice on it and it went to .9 then jumped to almost 12 ohms. After messing with it for 20 minutes I found out the center post insulator had failed on my DID clone and allowed the post to move when I tightened it down a little more. I'm glad the Vamo has built in short circuit protection.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
OK, I have an AGA-T on the way and I'm trying to soak up as much genesis coil knowledge as possible since this will be my first mesh wick atomizer.

One thing I don't understand is why everyone seems to use really thick wire (e.g., 28-30 gauge) and shoot for really low resistance coils (e.g., 1.2-1.6Ω, or even lower) ... why is that? When I wrap coils for my Penelopes I use 33-36 gauge Kanthal A-1 for the R and 30 gauge silver for the NR and I shoot for 2.4-2.8Ω coil ...

a penelope is quite different to a genesis atomizer. i had a pen and you just could not get much thicker wire than maybe 32 on it. also if you did manage to get some 28g or 30g around the wick, you wouldnt have much resistance. you need some diameter and lenght to use the lower g wires. and a genny gives you that. with lower resistances you do burn through more juice and batteries, but iom you cannot beat the thickness of the vapor, vapor amount and flavor with lower resistance coils on gennys. until you try a 1.0 ohm coil with 28g wire its hard to explain the difference.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I have no issues with taking a primer puff. I normally do on everything...even a Vivi Nova.

But when I have to take 3 or 4, and the topcap is almost getting to hot to even touch...that is too much.
With 32awg....they would heat up quick. A primer puff....then a good vape.
With 28awg....and that many wraps to get a proper ohm on the Vamo... I have to fire it for too long and it just gets really hot.

The only reason I dont get a Provari is I really have come to like the variable wattage, lol
cannot understand why you device is getting that hot. i have 2 dids an aga-t and an ac-9. i always use 28g/ 4/5 wraps to achieve around a 1.0 ohm coil. i usally set to around 3.4ish volts and my devices are never hot, no lie. a couple of times they have heated up i have found two reasons, one is that the wick is to close to the top cap(a little above the top of the top nuts) and the second reason is when you wrap the top coil around the top nuts dont go completely around the nuts, stop about 3/4 the way around. one time i came completely around and i think it was re-heating the coils. i am sure there are other reason why you prefer the 32g to the 28 besides the heat thing ,but that shouldnt happen. but i only do about 4 to 5 wraps so maybe they dont heat up as much as doing 7 or so wraps with the 28g.

Last edited:

gdeal

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
( -_-) Ω~
cannot understand why you device is getting that hot. i have 2 dids an aga-t and an ac-9. i always use 28g/ 4/5 wraps to achieve around a 1.0 ohm coil. i usally set to around 3.4ish volts and my devices are never hot, no lie. a couple of times they have heated up i have found two reasons, one is that the wick is to close to the top cap(a little above the top of the top nuts) and the second reason is when you wrap the top coil around the top nuts dont go completely around the nuts, stop about 3/4 the way around. one time i came completely around and i think it was re-heating the coils. i am sure there are other reason why you prefer the 32g to the 28 besides the heat thing ,but that shouldnt happen. but i only do about 4 to 5 wraps so maybe they dont heat up as much as doing 7 or so wraps with the 28g.

+1 I am running a 1.0ohm coil from 30g equivalent Kanthal ribbon wire and my device does not get hot. Its instant on and I can chain vape it. The only downside to running lower ohm coils is that it requires more amps thus running your battery down faster. But the vape is sooo much better than 32 b/c of wire surface area. :2c:

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
+1 I am running a 1.0ohm coil from 30g equivalent Kanthal ribbon wire and my device does not get hot. Its instant on and I can chain vape it. The only downside to running lower ohm coils is that it requires more amps thus running your battery down faster. But the vape is sooo much better than 32 b/c of wire surface area. :2c:

no doubt, ribbon wire? have seen it for sale but never heard of it being used.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
quickpic of my set up. A bit more effort to get the coil flat.... but:vapor:

BTW on a provari and no issues with stability or e codes....

sweet, seems like you probably get more surface area touching the wick. do you much prefer the ribbon to reg wire? also i use the provari and works great. i can get to as low as 0.08 with no codes. i hear alot of people saying how tempermental the provari is with low ohms, dont get it. it is actually the ONLY vv mod that can do these coils. to my knowledge there is not another vv mod out there at this time that can handle a coil from 0.08 to 1.1 ohms other than the provari. its nice to have the features of a protected mod that can handle low ohmed coils. if the provari didnt exist i would be using only mechanical mods. i do own some but find most of my gennys on the provari

gdeal

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
( -_-) Ω~
Yes more surface area. Its subtle but different, I go back and forth with 28g. If I have patience, I will use the ribbon. You need to play with twisting it at the base screw and positive pole nut to make it flat to fit underneath. It also likes to twists in the coil too. Petar K coil method helps, but wire want to turn, so its difficult to get a good/perfect apposition to the wick.

Gotta agree on the provari. I hear all sort of issues with other VV/VW devices here on the forum with lower than 1.2ohm coils. I had a .9 ohm coil going a week or so a go and had no problems either. The only issue I see is that if I push it to >12 watts on the low ohm coils it will error code me. But that is in the spec. Then again I usually stay at a around 10 to 11 watts. Its strange, but that 2-5 second difference in low ohm startup makes a noticeable difference in vape experience.

+1 on the provari low ohm protection. I would rather "error out" than run for a fire extinguisher....

45root

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2012
montgomery, AL
28kanthal.jpg

This is my latest wrap at 1.2 ohms. The taste is great. It takes a second to heat up though. Juice is just bubbling out of the wick. Its started popping instead of steaming. what am I doing wrong. My juice is 50/50 ratio. I am at 9 watts. Do I need a denser wick? It worked great with the 32 gauge but it didnt taste as good as it does now.

gdeal

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
( -_-) Ω~
This is my latest wrap at 1.2 ohms. The taste is great. It takes a second to heat up though. Juice is just bubbling out of the wick.
Do you mean bubbling from the top of the wick or from between the coils?
Its started popping instead of steaming.
Do you mean you are getting a fireworks effect or is it a dry popping?
what am I doing wrong. My juice is 50/50 ratio. I am at 9 watts. Do I need a denser wick? It worked great with the 32 gauge but it didnt taste as good as it does now.

A short video of your set-up showing your problem would probably increase the number of opinions on solving your issue :2c: :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread