Status
Not open for further replies.

Azphat12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
Coolidge, Arizona, United States
Sounds like a wicking issue.

If you tip it (with the cap off) can you see the juice soaking the wick?

How did you roll the wick? Tight....hole in middle... what size?
Is the wick snug against the coils? Meaning can you pull the wick out and maintain the coil?
It should be tight enough to grip your wick as you pull it, but not stop it from coming out if you slowly apply pressure to pull it.
Same going in... you should be able to put the wick into the coil and it not just drop down, nor be hard to press in.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Sounds like a wicking issue.

If you tip it (with the cap off) can you see the juice soaking the wick?

How did you roll the wick? Tight....hole in middle... what size?
Is the wick snug against the coils? Meaning can you pull the wick out and maintain the coil?
It should be tight enough to grip your wick as you pull it, but not stop it from coming out if you slowly apply pressure to pull it.
Same going in... you should be able to put the wick into the coil and it not just drop down, nor be hard to press in.

I rolled it over a 1/16" drill bit, yes there is a hole in the center. I used the drill bit method to set up the coil then slid the wick in, I have taken the wick back out and but it back in after I oxidized it again, so I think it's fit right.
If I tip it I get juice all over the place! I just found that out the hard way!

Yes, the juice is tasting burnt! It's back down to 1.6 ohms now so I have the voltage at 3.5v.

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
Sawlight... if you do the Petar K method correctly you don't need to oxidize the wick or do liquid flame burns to the wick. If you follow his steps correctly your coil should break in very fast. One trick is tilt your device and do 3 or 4... 10 second burns ...the coil will gunk up with liquid a little and your first vape will be excellent.

If you have hard time with this ....I made a thread to help people out who are having problems with their set ups....maybe it will help you out.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/363175-petar-k-method-hybrid-wick.html

Last edited:

Riff Raff

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
I have been messing with my AGA-T for 2 days now and keep getting the same hot spot on the top coil. I found a ton of good advice and am going to try to add the washers. When I didn't have a hot spot it vaped too hot I mean really hot.

Back to the bright light so I can see what I'm doing. I will get this yet.

45root

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2012
montgomery, AL
I have been messing with my AGA-T for 2 days now and keep getting the same hot spot on the top coil. I found a ton of good advice and am going to try to add the washers. When I didn't have a hot spot it vaped too hot I mean really hot.

Back to the bright light so I can see what I'm doing. I will get this yet.

I had that a lot riff raff. I hate to be that newb who gives advice so I will tell you what helped me. I put the top of the wick as close to the positive poll as it could go without touching. I posted a pic of it earlier in the thread.

michliu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Seattle, WA
I have been messing with my AGA-T for 2 days now and keep getting the same hot spot on the top coil.

I was getting hot spots at the top coil as well. On a Field of Vapor review, there was a link to another video where the guy uses tweezers to crimp the top coil against the wick so that the wire comes off the wick at a 90 degree angle to the top post. I don't understand why, but it seems to work and I don't get top coil hot spots any more.

Riff Raff

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Still getting a hot spot! I am using 400 mesh with #28 Kanthal wire. The hot spot is still on the top coil. I have added an addition thumb screw to gain height the wick is 4" in length and a tight wrap no hole in the center. I am attaching a pic so hopefully someone will be able to see what I am not getting right. This thing is driving me nuttier than I already am.
Coil.jpg

Last edited:

dlsw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2012
Ohio
Still getting a hot spot! I am using 400 mesh with #28 Kanthal wire. The hot spot is still on the top coil. I have added an addition thumb screw to gain height the wick is 4" in length and a tight wrap no hole in the center. I am attaching a pic so hopefully someone will be able to see what I am not getting right. This thing is driving me nuttier than I already am. View attachment 164949

Is that even possible?? JK!! Just keep fiddlin' with the coils til you don't have any more hot spots! :D

in4mati0n11

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2012
Tampa
Still getting a hot spot! I am using 400 mesh with #28 Kanthal wire. The hot spot is still on the top coil. I have added an addition thumb screw to gain height the wick is 4" in length and a tight wrap no hole in the center. I am attaching a pic so hopefully someone will be able to see what I am not getting right. This thing is driving me nuttier than I already am.
View attachment 164949

three things with the AGA-T, hope this helps...

1. make sure wick isn't touching the top when you screw it on or wick touching bottom of tank either. (Your wick seems tall to me)
2. buy some small washers to attach the top coil between. This way you dont need to bend wick towards center post as much.
3. while firing the coil, poke, prod and fiddle with the coil and wick till hotspots disappear.

Good luck!!

Riff Raff

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 10, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
three things with the AGA-T, hope this helps...

1. make sure wick isn't touching the top when you screw it on or wick touching bottom of tank either. (Your wick seems tall to me)
2. buy some small washers to attach the top coil between. This way you dont need to bend wick towards center post as much.
3. while firing the coil, poke, prod and fiddle with the coil and wick till hotspots disappear.

Good luck!!

If the wick is oxidized does it or can it make a difference if it touches the bottom of the tank? The washer I will be getting tomorrow when the hardware store is open. I tried the other thumb screw to get a little more height.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
I re coiled my one with the solid wick, removed the 1.2 ohms 28 k coil and replaced with 2.4 ohm 32 nichrome.
Here it be:
aga t 32 @ 2.4 ohmsl.jpg
I've got a mechanical mod coming in a few days, I will make another super LR coil for it then, at this point I can only go down to 1.3 ohms

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread