Allow zero nic for teens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace80s

Jul 24, 2019
A while back I saw a group of teens trying to buy non-alcoholic beer. I was like "Good for them. You can enjoy beer without getting drunk". Little did I or they know, they couldn't buy it being underage which is dumb but a whole other topic.

It got me thinking, why not allow teens to buy zero nic pods or whatever. The big issue that I hear from most politicians is they don't want a whole new generation hooked on nicotine. A company like juul for example could do some testing to prove they are safe, list the ingredients so people know what they are vaping etc. I mean they let kids buy McDonalds and Oreos. Want to talk about an epidemic.... obesity!!

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Making a non nic version of a vape product available to a teen invites misuse. Also invites acquiring that product through other underground means - which as we are currently witnessing, has its dangers.

I do not know how they will stop teens from vaping – kids are going to be kids, and many of us here probably smoked cigarettes when underage – even if we knew of the health hazards. But their current solutions of prohibition and banned flavours is not the solution. Perhaps hefty fines issued toward both the underage vaper and their parents/guardians, with criminal charges for repeated offenders. Along with hefty fines to the retail outlet with the possibility of being banned from selling vape/tobacco products.

That won’t stop an underground market, but little Johnny may think twice about vaping if there is a threat of a $5k fine along with community service or something along those lines.

Ace80s

Jul 24, 2019
Making a non nic version of a vape product available to a teen invites misuse. Also invites acquiring that product through other underground means - which as we are currently witnessing, has its dangers.

I do not know how they will stop teens from vaping – kids are going to be kids, and many of us here probably smoked cigarettes when underage – even if we knew of the health hazards. But their current solutions of prohibition and banned flavours is not the solution. Perhaps hefty fines issued toward both the underage vaper and their parents/guardians, with criminal charges for repeated offenders. Along with hefty fines to the retail outlet with the possibility of being banned from selling vape/tobacco products.

That won’t stop an underground market, but little Johnny may think twice about vaping if there is a threat of a $5k fine along with community service or something along those lines.
I agree that not allowing vaping is the best but as you stated, not going to happen. Kids will be kids. I started smoking when I was 12. Banning them will make kids, and adults, go underground to unsafe alternatives or even smoking. I dont know this for certain but I believe most teens don't start vaping for the nic, they start to be "cool" and blow clouds. Let 'em.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
How about no alcohol booze? Cars that only go 25 mph? Let’s let them get married, rent apartments, take out loans and sign legal contracts too.

This is ridiculous. ‘We can’t stop it so let’s make it legal’ has gone too far already. Enforce the laws there are. Are people still going to break the laws? Yes, but they take the risk of paying for it.

Vchick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
NE Ohio
Sorry, this gets me a little riled up here :ohmy:

@Ace80s Let's say you come home from work, you run into your neighbor who says, "hey I saw your (underage) kid buying a e-cig at the corner gas station"

Would you say to your neighbor;
1.) thanks for the heads up, we're going to have a talk tonight
2.) I'm sure it was peer pressure, they'll be fine (assuming your neighbor had any knowledge and was positive it was zero nic)

Then would you;
1.) Think to yourself - wow, good for them, and ask them to show you what they bought?
2.) Think to yourself - wow, kid never smoked before, wth and then confront them & have a serious discussion on why it isn't ok.

If you assumed it was peer pressure and they'd be fine, then the school calls you and says your kid has been rushed to the hospital, they and a friend were using a vape pen that had xyz in it.

If you didn't assume it was ok and had a serious conversation with them and never got that call that they were rushed to the hospital.

We know that the device itself isn't the problem, it's what's in them. Some may be doing exactly what they say their doing, but if a friend says "hey I got this stuff to put in there" would they go for it, or say no? I would rather sit down & discuss, then turn a blind eye..and say oh, they'd never do that, but they're kids.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
How about no alcohol booze? Cars that only go 25 mph? Let’s let them get married, rent apartments, take out loans and sign legal contracts too.

This is ridiculous. ‘We can’t stop it so let’s make it legal’ has gone too far already. Enforce the laws there are. Are people still going to break the laws? Yes, but they take the risk of paying for it.
That's exactly what has been done with (other stuff). They are even talking about letting kids as young as 5yo bring it to school and keep it in the nurses office to take. 1/2 the people in this country have completely lost their freakin' minds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
A while back I saw a group of teens trying to buy non-alcoholic beer. I was like "Good for them. You can enjoy beer without getting drunk". Little did I or they know, they couldn't buy it being underage which is dumb but a whole other topic.

It got me thinking, why not allow teens to buy zero nic pods or whatever. The big issue that I hear from most politicians is they don't want a whole new generation hooked on nicotine. A company like Juul for example could do some testing to prove they are safe, list the ingredients so people know what they are vaping etc. I mean they let kids buy McDonalds and Oreos. Want to talk about an epidemic.... obesity!!
You do know non alcoholic beer still has alcohol in it?

Georgia Boy

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2019
Atlanta Georgia
That's exactly what has been done with (other stuff). They are even talking about letting kids as young as 5yo bring it to school and keep it in the nurses office to take. 1/2 the people in this country have completely lost their freakin' minds.
And 49% of the others had no mind to begin with :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London
I still miss my shiny silver cap guns lol.

This was my favourite. It was a spud gun. It held one 'round' with spud in one end and cap in the other, and was manually loaded. The cap worked as the propellant, firing the spud out into the back of the victims head. Best used with running shoes.

8129263300_054dcea61a_b.jpg

Ace80s

Jul 24, 2019
@Ace80s Let's say you come home from work, you run into your neighbor who says, "hey I saw your (underage) kid buying a e-cig at the corner gas station"
I would be thrilled he was getting it at a store rather than the street. Then I'd beat the store clerk for selling to a minor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread