The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

An intelligent MOD? Coming Soon "Darwin"

Discussion in 'VaporBomb' started by hdpjr68, Oct 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. harpo

harpo Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 19, 2009
    Yuba City, California
    So what prevents the juice from leaking out in the full down position?

2. IndustrialAction

IndustrialAction Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 14, 2010
    Northern VA
    I like the LCD and I like the USB charging port. I don't know about the battery life or the variance capabilities so I can't comment on that. I'm not a fan of the shape and I really don't like the GLV style atty/carto connection. Don't get me started on the aesthetics, ha-ha.

3. debb

debb ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    in the nj woods
    tried that too....lol...no go....

4. 5cardstud

5cardstud ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 1, 2010
    Wash
    There is no way that's coming in under $125.00. Nice concept but a little over the top and I'd probably get pulled over for driving while talking on a cell phone. It is impressive though but what's the warranty time on it.

5. Rowdy

Rowdy Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 27, 2010
    Georgia
    I like the concept, the shape, the features. Perhaps a little more polish, the lettering seems off? Maybe the LCD could have the option to display time/date with back light like a watch? Then I can say I bought a new watch ;)

6. simplyrock

simplyrock Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 1, 2010
    Michigan
    its not what i imagined... but not too bad... i like the lcd and the fact you control the wattage... if the price is right... i will be getting one of these...

7. muttSRT

muttSRT Ultra Member ECF Veteran

I dont have all the answers, but will try my best:

Harpo, i use a carto, so it doesnt leak in any position. As far as atty use, as long as the atty is not flooded, i would think it wouldnt leak. So far, when I put it in my shirt pocket, i swing the arm down into the closed position and use it like a clip on a pen. No leaks so far.

Industrial- The battery life i am being told, is 1 1/2- 2 full days. It does not use regular rechargeable batteries, it uses battery cells i think they called it, which have a life span of 3-5 years. The charging is a regular mini USB.

5card- I have no idea of the price point, but like you said i highly doubt its in the $125 range. I believe the warranty is a full year for the device.

Rowdy- The finished product will be more polished or anodized , the EVOLV and DARWIN I believe will be much smaller as well.

8. harpo

harpo Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 19, 2009
    Yuba City, California
    Thanks Mutt. With an atty even if you don't flood it eventually the juice in the cup will come out if held upside down long enough.

9. IcaBoD

IcaBoD Unregistered Supplier

Mar 24, 2010
    Ohio USA
    I think there is some confusion about what Darwin actually is; Darwin is the 1st power regulating mod, it is not a variable voltage mod.

So what's the difference?
    Darwin regulates watts. Watts (or more commonly called "power") are the combination of volts and amps. So Darwin controls both volts and amps (current).

Why is that important?
    Because if you control watts you control heat. Specifically the heat produced at the atomizer/cartomizer coil.

So how does that make Darwin a better PV?
    *consistency from the time you hit the button till you let off. No heat fluctuations or sag like in a variable voltage mod.
    *Tons of vapor and TH. A variable voltage only regulates voltage, amps are left to fluctuate wildly causing good hits and bad ones and as the batteries weaken the vapor is reduced.
    *atomizer independent: Darwin detects the resistance of the atomizer and makes adjustments up to 1000 times per second, ensuring that it supplies the wattage you chose. That means no matter what atomizer you put on it, the hit will be the same. You can switch between 801, 901, 510, HV, LR, it will give you the same draw every single time.

I could go on and on, hope that makes it a little clearer.

10. Rowdy

Rowdy Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 27, 2010
    Georgia
    Thanks IcaBod that does help imho.

11. Scottbee

Scottbee Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Sep 18, 2009
    Okauchee Lake, WI
    Amps will only "fluctuate wildly" if the atomizer or cartomizer resistance fluctuates wildly. On a per atomizer or cartomizer basis, this doesn't happen.

And as far as "as the batteries weaken the vapor is reduced" is concerned..... not really true. On most all variable voltage mods the true voltage output will remain constant as the batteries "weaken" or sag.. up until the battery voltage drops below the cutoff voltage (margin) for the regulator circuit. A good VV mod will simply "turn off" at that point.

12. jimho

jimho Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    New York
    Technically it's a great idea and is evolutionary to get people thinking about their sweetspots in terms of watts given batteries and attys are inconsistent - I love what you did here from an electronics perspective, but I seriously urge you to rethink the packaging- it looks like one of those combination name tag/pen holder/calculator jobs on a bank managers desk. I don't mean to be disparaging but that chassis is a non starter for me and i'm sure many others - most people who have the money this is going to cost won't spend it on something that looks like this.

13. Vchick

Vchick Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 18, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Thanks for the great pics Mutt! I'll be anxiously awaiting your review!

14. simplyrock

simplyrock Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 1, 2010
    Michigan
    nice pix mutt... if you could... if you post more pix, take a pic of you holding it so we can get a size comparison... maybe one next to you current PV... well one of the three... lol... looking forward to hearing and seeing more...

15. btngchck

btngchck Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 29, 2010
    Gibraltar, MI
    Ok WOW. That is so over the top! Really very cool. I hope you don't have to be an electrical brainiac to operate it, because that I am not. I just want something that will knock the socks off when vaping.

Mutt, can't wait to hear how it vapes.

16. muttSRT

Here are a couple more pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. btngchck

btngchck Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 29, 2010
    Gibraltar, MI
    ahhh....that's cute you label your carto's.

18. muttSRT

At any one time, I have 10-15 different flavors going...I have to label them.

19. VapoMonkey

VapoMonkey Senior Member ECF Veteran

Apr 21, 2010
    Queens NYC
    That prototype seems big 'n clunky, I'll stick with my V V devices for now...

20. buGG

buGG Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 10, 2009
    brush²
    wonder how it looks paired up with a vapemate...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.