Not open for further replies.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Suzie, as they say, sola dosis facit venenum, or the dose makes the poison. Anything is excess can be toxic, even water. :)

Seriously, don't even go there. The strengths up to 10% nicotine (100 mg/ml) are perfectly safe to handle at home. Many of us have been doing it for years successfully. You just have to be careful--measure and label everything accurately, that's key, and pay attention to what you're doing.

Start with 12 mg/ml. If it's still not enough, try the 18 mg/ml. Or mix 12 and 18 (1:1) to make 15 mg/ml. Try them all. Go slowly. Always start low and increase your nicotine strength as needed. I don' t think you'll even need to go to 24 mg, but who knows. ALso, keep in mind that the equipment you're using matters. If you're an MTL (mouth-to-lung, low wattage) vaper, you'll need higher nic strength. Direct lung and high wattage--lower your nic.

And forget about pure nic and anything higher then 10% nicotine bases. Those are NOT for DIY-ers. There's a very good reason ECF rules don't even allow discussing them here.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
thanks, kat.

You're welcome.

i can look for 10%.

Wait. You're not ready and there's no need yet.

are there recipes to use this straight?

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One more time, 10% nicotine is 100mg/ml. You can't vape it undiluted. Ever.

zaz was talking about diluting what she gets before using it.
is this extra step necessary?

YES!!!!!!!

i see the kit of lab stuff includes plastic gloves.
what happens if you do this bare handed?

You'll need to wash it off your skin ASAP. Nicotine is absorbed through skin.

susieqz

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2018
high plains
ok, good.
i can follow simple instructions.
i cook exotic recipes all the time, so i should be able to do this.
the problem is, i'm not finding a beginner's book.
the math here might take all day. if i want to make 50/50 pg/vg, but then add nicotine diluted in one of those, calculations will be hard.
my business is words, not math.

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
Yeah, don't even think about this stuff for now, @susieqz. You're getting a selection of juices in different strengths, and you can experiment with them to see what suits you. Then, you can just keep ordering commercial liquid at the nic level you prefer and get around to DIY'ing if ever you feel like it. There's no rush.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
the math here might take all day. if i want to make 50/50 pg/vg, but then add nicotine diluted in one of those, calculations will be hard.

Find a good e-juice calculator for recipes. That's the only way to make it safe. And ask questions when in doubt. We're here to help.

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
I'm not buying a kit. I won't need to start mixing my own for a while, since I have a bunch of commercial juice in the cupboard. While I'm using that up, I'm going to study, study, study. I jumped the gun on buying nicotine because of an appealing sale (which I didn't end up taking advantage of, as it turns out, though I got some anyway because I was on a roll). I'm going to repackage it into smaller bottles and sock it away in the freezer till I need it. By the time I do, I'll have figured out exactly what I need in the way of equipment and decided on a reasonable starter selection of flavorings.

One thing I know for sure: I'll be mixing by weight, not volume. It's the way I prefer to bake and it's much more accurate.

Reactions: susieqz

susieqz

ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2018
high plains
where are you studying, zaz?
just reading posts?.
i think i'll have it easier than you.
i bake all the time n have refused all calls to go by weight.
i haven't had store bot bread in 15 years.
no bakeries here.
if i couldn't do this by volume, i wouldn't do this at all.

quite frankly, i'm mostly protecting myself from
possible governmental interference.

Reactions: stols001

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
Yes, I'm doing this because I got nervous. I don't think vaping will disappear, but I think price are going to shoot sky high and choices are going to become fewer.

For me, volume isn't easier because its imprecision irks me. Not to the point where I won't follow a recipe that gives only volume measurements, but I prefer weight, in grams, and, if need be, fractions thereof.

I'm studying here, there, and everywhere. Some of the very comprehensive posts here can be frustrating, though, because they contain dead links. But that's what search engines are for.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
oh, words like
''as dangerous as cyanide''
n the idea that just opening a bottle can kill everyone in the room
i find unsettling.
that was said about pure nicotine, but now i don't know what strength is less than lethal in my clumsy hands.

Pure nic (1000mg/ml) IS dangerous. 100mg/ml nic is manageable. You just want to take precautions to immediately wash off any nic base that gets on your skin.

100mg/ml is much safer. If you get it on your hands you just wash it off at the sink. Turn the stove exhaust fan on if you are worried about breathing in nic base fumes. I always do my DIY on a kitchen counter. I cut up some painting drop cloths to a 2'x2' size and use that to set my bottles, scale, and other equipment on. Fold and discard after use. Gloves are recommended, at least on the hand that pulls nic into a pipette from the 100mg nic bottle and drips it into the mix bottle on the scale. If you get a little 100mg nic on your skin, just step over to the sink and wash it off immediately.

Last edited:

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Pure nic IS dangerous. 100mg/ml nic is manageable. You just want to take precautions to immediately wash off any nic base that gets on your skin.

100mg/ml is much safer. If you get it on your hands you just wash it off at the sink. Turn the stove exhaust fan on if you are worried about breathing in nic base fumes. I always do my DIY on a kitchen counter. I cut up some painting drop cloths to a 2'x2' size and use that to set my bottles, scale, and other equipment on. Fold and discard after use. Gloves are recommended, at least on the hand that pulls nic into a pipette from the 100mg nic bottle and drips it into the mix bottle on the scale. If you get a little 100mg nic on your skin, just step over to the sink and wash it off immediately.
Better yet, if not comfortable - just start with 48mg, like I did. No worries at all dealing with it, and it's still almost free compared to commercial juice.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I started with 60 mg per month because I worried about my clumsiness, and I have to use a VG base so it's gloopy. It was fine and I quickly moved to 100 whicwas also fine just start where you are comfortable. I promise it's not rogket science not even close.

Anna

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
Here is simple calculator , just input your numbers .
Study the inputs its pretty much self explains itself.
The nic "base" box is what you have bought before its reduced, the "target" box is what % you want to end up with.
With PG and or Vg or both you enter what % you want same with flavoring.

By experimenting you can zero in your vape in nic strength and flavoring etc to your liking.
May i suggest at first one can use lower bought nic such until one feels comfortable handling it and remember if you have pets such as dogs because a dog has a very very sensitive nose compared to a human make sure they are not around the area.

Want more exhale to show some call it clouds increase VG % if your getting slight dizziness decrease you nic strength , not enough flavoring taste increase percentage of flavoring.
Its all ones personal taste but the calculator will help and always there to store your recipe on your computer so one can look back adjust the % and eventually zero in on what is best personally.
Calculator -
Simple E-Juice Recipe Calculator.

Hope this helps as it did years back for me.
Now a days batches made here are 450ml using glass measuring cylinders in various sizes for the Mrs and i.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    I have a liter of 24 mg/ml that's pre-mixed (at 75/25 PG/VG) that I can vape right out of the bottle. I haven't had to open it yet, but when I do it'll last me a probably close to at least a year. That bottle cost me $40. I also have a bottle of 100 mg/ml that when I mix it down with PG and VG will leave me with 4 liters of 25 mg/ml. Along with the calculator at eCigVape that Dieseler mentioned, there are more on that site. I've also found this one quite useful - eJuice Me Up - Best eJuice Calculator. Note that it's a program that has to be downloaded and installed on your PC, and it only runs on Windows boxes.

Last edited:

Dieseler

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 24, 2011
    Illinois
    I have a liter of 24 mg/ml that's pre-mixed (at 75/25 PG/VG) that I can vape right out of the bottle. I haven't had to open it yet, but when I do it'll last me a probably close to at least a year. That bottle cost me $40. I also have a bottle of 100 mg/ml that when I mix it down with PG and VG will leave me with 4 liters of 25 mg/ml. Along with the calculator at eCigVape that Dieseler mentioned, there are more on that site. I've also found this one quite useful - eJuice Me Up - Best eJuice Calculator. Note that it's a program that has to be downloaded and installed on your PC, and it only runs on Windows boxes.
    Yes particular one always have and used has the window on right side where one inputs the cost of each ingredient and it calculates what your cost is per ml.
    Years back recall rechecking my numbers several times as i did not realize how cheap it was to make.
    Initially the startup cost nic was biggest money wise as a lifetime supply was bought and stored , the pg and vg is bought by the gallon otherwise. Flavoring is a highly concentrated real cig one used at no more than
    one to one and a half % and a simple menthol for the Mrs thats all we vape and also a life supply of them.
    All needed now a days is PG and Vg to purchase . ; )

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread