Any thoughts on Alien Vapor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayvaps

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2013
South Florida
It's capitalism. You have to own a brand name for it to be hijacked. Creating a brand name without any protection is just naive. I don't find it surprising at all and wouldn't be surprised if others start using the brand name as a generic term. The original creator should be honored that his juice is so popular people are using it as a generic term for a flavor, sort of like styrofoam (99% of what you call styrofoam isn't ACTUALLY styrofoam brand).

Meh. It maybe naive, but I don't think the owner of AVE was expecting the following nor the theft of the name.

Remember, vaping is still in its infancy. And until very recently, the 'big boys' were not involved. This was more of a cottage industry than cut throat capitalism.

I also don't think AVE has lost much business because of the whole thing. The actual Bobas could be 1for1 cloned tomorrow with the receipe posted on reddit, and AVE probably still could not keep up with demand. Personally, While I like Boba's, as it does hit the 'right spots' it is not a vape that I can't live without. But some go thru the stuff like water in a desert. To each their own.

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
Meh. It maybe naive, but I don't think the owner of AVE was expecting the following nor the theft of the name.

Remember, vaping is still in its infancy. And until very recently, the 'big boys' were not involved. This was more of a cottage industry than cut throat capitalism.

I also don't think AVE has lost much business because of the whole thing. The actual Bobas could be 1for1 cloned tomorrow with the receipe posted on reddit, and AVE probably still could not keep up with demand. Personally, While I like Boba's, as it does hit the 'right spots' it is not a vape that I can't live without. But some go thru the stuff like water in a desert. To each their own.

Didn't someone say the name was ripped off from Star Wars to begin with, so, sounds like nobody really owns the name in the first place. He can always call it "The Original Boba's Bounty" I don't think anyone would try to knock that name off.

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    What I don't understand is if Boba's Bounty became THAT popular, iconic even, then how come Alien Visions can't afford a lawyer to protect the brand name. I would think if that much of it was sold he must have made some money, no?

He's just a guy who makes great juice, nothing else about him makes sense.

Jayvaps

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 22, 2013
    South Florida
    Didn't someone say the name was ripped off from Star Wars to begin with, so, sounds like nobody really owns the name in the first place. He can always call it "The Original Boba's Bounty" I don't think anyone would try to knock that name off.

I wouldn't say AVE ripped off the name from star wars originally. From my understanding, he is a big star wars fan.

It is not like he named it 'Darth Vader' or something. Or even 'Boba Fett'.

But yes, the name supposedly comes from star wars, and the owner of AVE and the creator of Bobas Bounty beig a big fan. That is my understanding of it anyways.

And I am no AVE 'fan boy'. Just my understanding of the matter from reading here.

CrimsonJack

Ursus Praedonum
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 5, 2013
    The Vobbit Hole
    I wouldn't say AVE ripped off the name from star wars originally. From my understanding, he is a big star wars fan.

It is not like he named it 'Darth Vader' or something. Or even 'Boba Fett'.

But yes, the name supposedly comes from star wars, and the owner of AVE and the creator of Bobas Bounty beig a big fan. That is my understanding of it anyways.

And I am no AVE 'fan boy'. Just my understanding of the matter from reading here.

Agreed, I see it as more of a tribute than a rip-off.

WillyZee

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 23, 2013
    Toronto
    It's capitalism. You have to own a brand name for it to be hijacked. Creating a brand name without any protection is just naive. I don't find it surprising at all and wouldn't be surprised if others start using the brand name as a generic term. The original creator should be honored that his juice is so popular people are using it as a generic term for a flavor, sort of like styrofoam (99% of what you call styrofoam isn't ACTUALLY styrofoam brand).

Actually Alien Visions does legally own the name Boba's Bounty in regards to ejuice (they gain ownership by marketing it first) .... trademark infringement is about confusing people into believing your product is the same as the original.

Apple Computers vs Apple records (both are known as Apple) ... not the same as the Boba's ejuice case.

Even Star Wars likely could not claim ownership to the name ... unless AV was trying to convince people it was part of the Star Wars brand.

Suing AVapors for trademark infringement would be a very costly endeavour that could stretch years in court.

Anything a person creates (such as written copy, a logo or a name) is automatically a trademark ... applying and paying for the trademark only helps protect your work from being used by others.

vaperature

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 8, 2013
    Chicago
    Actually Alien Visions does legally own the name Boba's Bounty in regards to ejuice (they gain ownership by marketing it first) .... trademark infringement is about confusing people into believing your product is the same as the original.

Apple Computers vs Apple records (both are known as Apple) ... not the same as the Boba's ejuice case.

Even Star Wars likely could not claim ownership to the name ... unless AV was trying to convince people it was part of the Star Wars brand.

Suing AVapors for trademark infringement would be a very costly endeavour that could stretch years in court.

Anything a person creates (such as written copy, a logo or a name) is automatically a trademark ... applying and paying for the trademark only helps protect your work from being used by others.

I don't think that's true at all. You have to copyright it or trademark it or patent it or whatever is appropriate for the situation otherwise you won't have a leg to stand on in court.

suspectK

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 7, 2013
    Alabummer
    CJLaity:11121106 said:
    I don't think that's true at all. You have to copyright it or trademark it or patent it or whatever is appropriate for the situation otherwise you won't have a leg to stand on in court.

Alien vapors could not patent the flavors. If there are records proving Alien Visions has the exact idea first, that is infringement.

I think alien vapors are posers..in efforts of derailing the derail... Rip off from star wars, that logic is funny.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread