anyone else have to deal with unsupportive family members?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NiNi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2013
Paulden, Arizona
Oh I have defiantly educated myself, and have tried educating her, but to be honest man, she sees "smoke" and its bad for you. Ive tried, but I only wish she could see how things really are. just wondering if anyone else had to deal with a lack of acceptance by family members

Sounds like more of a "learned response" by your mom, she sees "smoke", mentally assumes "ignition, fire, lighter, cigarette", and her nose carries it through with a "phantom smell".
My son never smoked, and every time I'm vaping around him, 9 out of 10 times he smells waffles! I do not have a waffle flavored juice! He recently took up low nic vaping for his ADD (he's 26) and LOVES watermelon.

Glen Snyder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
For unnamed reasons I am no longer in college and am currently living back in my parents house. I just turned 22 and have not smoked for some time now (although I love dip, and have dipped at least once a week for a while now). But the dip is besides the point, ecigs keep me off of stinkies. I mostly vape in my room upstairs, and try to be respectful, because neither of my parents smoke. Well the other day, I got some strawberry cheesecake eliquid and was vaping it. My mom came home and proceeded to ask me if I had been burning anything in my room. I told her no, but I had used some new eliquid, which she then told me to make sure not to burn down the house, and that it smelt like burning ash... I was blown away. My brother (who is 30, so 7 1/2 to 8 years older than me) came over and was talking to me about the same time my mom said she smelt the "burning smell". He likes my ecig and said he couldn't smell anything other than strawberry. To be honest, at this point I feel like my mom would rather me smoke cigs than vape. Atleast when I was smoking cigarettes she didn't make any comments about smell or whatnot. The crazy part is, when me and my dad are drinking, he will try my ecig, and taste the different juices I have, even though he has never smoked! anyone else have to deal with unsupportive family members? oh and my mom is a dental hygienist, so that doesn't;t really help.

tl'dr: my mom thinks my ejuice smells and makes comments about it, but never made comments when I smokes stinkies. She is a dental hygienist
Solution: Get your own place :p

element9633

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Solution: Get your own place :p

old man wants me to stay at home right now, we plan on going in 50/50 on purchasing an allstate office next year. Im only paying 450 rent all utilities included here, and the amount I am going to save over getting my own place is a lot!

I get your point though :(

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
Maybe I missed something as this is a long thread but why do you think she's unsupportive because she thinks one of your juices smells like ash? Frankly, cheesecake is a pretty pungent smell and might be offputting to some whether mixed with strawberry or not. If something smelled bad to me, describing it would only come down to my experience with different smells... Maybe she couldn't put her finger on that one so came up with ash. That doesn't mean she's unsupportive. Hubby is very supportive of my vaping as a non-smoker but there's one I've vaped that neither of us like the smell of. He like others I vape and I can't smell them at all. So, just like taste, aroma is subjective too. Just don't take it personally. Don't be sensitive so much you jump to "unsupportive" without better evidence of it. And, frankly, if you don't want to dig for more evidence because you suspect and we all want parental approval, then, as the old saying goes "let a sleeping dog lie."

sc12

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2013
USA
My wife and I have 2adult kids. She desnt have to make sense she is a mom. She doesn't have to listen to reason she is a mom. Right or wrong your going to do it her way in her house. Why? She is a mom. Keeping this in mind find a way to keep her happy! Why? Dude she is YOUR mom.
:toast:
One of the best things I've read in awhile. No. I'm not a mom.

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com
Only read the ops post as I am heading out the door. My advice is to change ejuice and don't use that flavor in the house. My wife has no problems with any flavors except "Black Cherry". It turns her stomach and she says she can't stand the smell. So I don't vape it around her or in the house or my truck. Respect it and find something that doesn't bother her in the house. Plain it is not aimed at you but it is irritating her. some smells just irritate people and everyone has different smells that are irritating to them. Good Luck. CHEERS!

I font live with my parents but I was vaping in front of my mom and she said I was smoking antifreeze. Lol I educated her about ecigs and her response was "well it's still nicotine which causes cancer" I replied that no studies show that nicotine alone causes cancer and vaping was better by far than analogs with 200 plus chemicals in them. With some people you have to let it go.

Madtypist

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Victoria B.C. Canada
ive had lots of support for my vaping habit.. even friends who dont smoke at all are intrigued by it...BUT ive had very negative feedback from one person, going on about, " oh what if they shut the stores down or ban them, or tax the crap out of them, blah blah blah "this is coming from a CHAIN smoker !!! I figure just taken aback because I decided to do something good for myself..!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread