Mom's Dr. prefers analogs. So confused...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sdh

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
U.S.
On a serious note. I edited my statement. LOL I have not researched Pubmed in a few years. Oops If doctors are lacking knowledge, they can only base their knowledge on opinion/speculation. I work in healthcare with doctors. Most of the doctors at work don't care if their patients vape. Yes, they can vape in their rooms. I work in a sub-acute facility.

As a nurse, I am now faced with patient education regarding e-cigs. We would rather have our copd patients vape than go out outside. We still have a few that are resistant. (I did some education/teaching a boss about ecigs.)

OP: I do believe your mother would benefit from the use of a ecig. Patients have the right to take control of their health. A medical professional works for the patient.

Edit: I just looked at a pub med document related to ecigs. It was very bias and from a 2009 internet survey. OP maybe you can dig further into PUBmed or similar website. Good luck!

I did find numerous pub med papers
Here is a link.....http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Electronic+cigarettes

Last edited:

Mariss716

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2012
WA
Yup my brother is in his early 30s and STILL studying day and night for boards. Modern doctors practice evidence-based medicine. If her doctor is telling her this anecdote based on what he's HEARD, then what other bogus claims is he repeating? Medical misinformation and speculation can have dangerous consequences, too. If it's not in the literature, it shouldn't be in the advice doctors give patients. Especially coupled with telling her he'd rather she smoke analogs. Are you freaking kidding me? I hardly need to preach to the converted. We all know the dangers of smoking and that's why we have switched.

I'm still trying to figure out how on earth he thinks the back of the throat could be "charred." It sounds like he doesn't really know what the contents of ecig vapor even are. Are there really dubious claims like this in the journals or on PubMed? I have read some flawed studies about e-liquid quality control in the past, but there are numerous short-term and long term medical studies that are much better designed and show promising, effective results (or at least countering the bias and negatives presumed in the past).

I know some people get attached to their PCPs, especially when older but it sounds like she may want to shop around.

Last edited:

Ikeprof

ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2012
Mt Clemens, Michigan
Wow, from a scientific/physics perspective, especially in the context of comparing an e-cig to an analog where there is actual combustion and I"m pretty sure MUCH higher temperatures involved, that's darn near the most voodoo silly urban myth thing I have ever heard.

Seriously, I thought these guys get some basic science training.

Mariss716

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2012
WA
I told my doc I was vaping and she said it was just as bad as smoking analogs because it's the "Nicotine" that causes cancer. :?:

Maybe... in "mice susceptible to tobacco-induced lung carcinogenesis." Note that they were injected intravenously. Bioavailability when VAPING is lesser than if you directly inject nicotine.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0024320512001890

Or maybe it's the metabolites of nicotine, which are carcinogens but are not the same thing.

It is the KNOWN carcinogens in cigarette smoke (some 4,000+ chemicals in total) that we are really concerned about, and are avoiding by vaping. Over 70 of these chemicals are known carcinogens, and Health Canada's website names the ones that are absolutely known to be human carcinogens http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hc-ps/pubs/tobac-tabac/carcinogens-cancerogenes/index-eng.php:

Arsenic
Benzene
Benzo[a]pyrene
Cadmium
Chromium (Hexavalent)
Formaldehyde
4-(N-Methylnitrosoamino)-1-(3-pyridyl)-1-butanone (NNK)
Nickel

N'-Nitrosonornicotine (NNN)

Nicotine is not on that list, but its metabolites are. And on the US Department of Health's list of known cigarette smoke carcinogens: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cigarette_smoke_carcinogens NNK is specifically tobacco-derived. They result mostly from the curing of tobacco, and are thus found merely in trace amounts in nic juice (maybe detectable, but measurable?). Nitrosamines are even found in food, especially that which involves high-temperature cooking. There should be studies done about vapers, yes, since we are delivering the nicotine via vapor instead of smoke. The evidence from what I am reading in at least nicotine-patch users is the long-term risk is MUCH lower compared to smokers; the levels are small, as in extremely low to non-existent. Here's a study I found on NLH: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2734288/

From the evidence vaping nicotine doesn't cause cancer, and in moderation vapers have nothing to worry about! But it's possible that nicotine's metabolites may pose a low risk of health problems, long-term, in some. Yes, it's a non-zero risk, but again, it is combustion of the cigarette that causes cancer, not nicotine. Here's just one quote from many I found by Public Health experts on the subject:

"Though it is likely that the health risks of long term use of e-cigarettes are negligible, whatever small risk there is, is beside the point. The point is that whatever risk there may be, that risk is so much smaller than that of smoking. Smoking has so many health risks that any article about e-cigarettes that ignores the comparison impedes the progress toward a healthier population." - Paul Bergen, M.Sc., M.L.I.S. is a Research Associate at the Public Health Sciences at the University of Alberta. His research
explores health mis- and disinformation in the media concentrating on but not limited to tobacco issues. Together with Carl Phillips, he operates the TobaccoHarmReduction.org

Sounds like we have another doctor who needs educating. There's the evidence. I speak to my doctors on their level as much as I can and we have better conversations for it.

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I have never seen any evidence, anywhere, that nicotine is carcinogenic. Snus has been studied extensively in Sweden and elsewhere and all the studies show almost no increased risk of cancer in snus users.

One study of the health effects of snus, published in The Lancet in 2007, studied 125,000 Swedish male construction workers who had never smoked, and followed them for 12 to 26 years. The study found that snus use was associated with a slight increased risk of pancreatic cancer, but was not associated with any increased risk of oral cancer or lung cancer; cigarette smoking was significantly associated with all three.

Another study in the same issue of the journal found there was little difference in life expectancy between smokers who quit all tobacco and those who switched to snus. The researchers of that study concluded that snus could produce a net benefit to health if used by hard-core smokers. That study bolstered the argument that switching smokers to snus could reduce the harm caused by cigarettes.
Moreover, nicotine is being quietly researched right now, as we speak, as potential treatment for various diseases, including Alzheimer's, ADD, Tourette's syndrome, colitis, diabetes and depression.

Researchers Investigate (Horrors!) Nicotine's Potential Benefits - New York Times

Last edited:

PepNYC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Now THIS is a comment that would make me find a new doctor!
Sounds like she did more partying than she should have in school.

This was a while ago and I have since found a new doctor.

Didn't surprise me though seeing that our entire healthcare system is going in the crapper. These physicians get paid by quantity not quality. Very sad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread