Mom's Dr. prefers analogs. So confused...

Status
Not open for further replies.

phalaeo

Jan 14, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
As I mentioned in another thread, my mother took an interest in ecigs when I showed her mine. She picked up a few gas-station "cig-a-likes" to see if she might like it herself.

She had a Dr. appointment today, and when asked if she still smoked, she told the Dr. that she was toying with ecigs. And he told her that he would prefer if she stuck with analogs! His reasoning is that he's heard that some people can burn or char the back of their throat using ecigs.

Now.... this is a doctor that my whole family goes to and trusts. I'm very surprised that he would prefer his patients to smoke analogs.

Have any of you heard about this burnt throat thing? I'm going to do a Google search to find out more, but I'm interested to hear from the community on this one. I'll also link this thread to my mom in an email so she can see the discussion.

I watched both my grandmothers die with smoking related diseases, so you can see why I would want Mom to choose the healthier option.

Thanks!

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Doctors know everything!

gra_bdoctor.jpg

JKVaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I'd be concerned when my Dr. would recommend something based off what he "heard" rather than learning facts. If he doesn't know the facts, then he should take the time to before ANY type of recommendation, and I don't mean by just calling a 'friend'. This is exactly what I would say , then also tell him I'll get a second opinion from another HEALTH PROFESSIONAL.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
I'd like to know where he "heard" this at. Did he give her any proof? Might be time to find a new doctor. I would never consider going to a doctor that would prefer someone to stay on analogs...

My dad's a retired doctor. They go to school and work their behinds off to get a medical degree, they are not deified. I would consider changing doctors. The way healthcare is today, a doctor has to be your partner and be receptive to what you may have learned.

phalaeo

Jan 14, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
That's the thing... this doctor treated my grandmother through a very difficult end-of-life issue. I believe that if it weren't for his care, my grandmother would have died years sooner. He was the guitarist at our wedding. My whole family (extended family!) have switched over to him. This is not a first time visit to a new doc-- this is someone I trust.

At the same time, his opinion seems completely and utterly foolish and illogical. Very surprised and disappointed to hear that he prefers analogs.

I'll have to find it, but I thought I read a thread here that said 92% of doctors prefer their patient vape than smoke and link that to her as well.

phalaeo

Jan 14, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
For some reason there's no text to "Like" this post showing on my screen. Have a virtual like instead... I will definitely link this to her. :toast:

The like button will appear after the page is refreshed. :)

Plenty of good information in there. CASAA is a great organization. Your doctor really needs to read up on the subject of vaping!

Good luck!

Snus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2012
Massachusetts
I think you need to educate this doctor! I saw a student a while back that was working with my doc.... When I told her I was on e-cigs, she told me that they are not fda approved! I didn't get into it.... There is a lot of misinformation going around, unfortunately. Fortunately, Casaa is doing a research study, so hopefully, we can "clear the air:"!

I think he may have been talking about a story I heard about. I don't know what happened. I know some people can have allergies, and vaping liquids with high concentrations of cinnamon may not be good, but seriously..... compared to analogs? D'oh!

Tanti

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2013
Nebraska
never "heard" of this. since there is nothing burning how could it burn the back of the throat, that just doesnt make any sense and it makes even less sense hed tell her to stay with analogs. I think he really doesnt know anything about it but like all drs had to look like he did. Dr dont want to look like they dont know everything.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
The only concern I have at this point is what is in the flavorings. Most of the USA eliquids companies are aware of the issues, I think.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/127760-diy-warning-please-read.html

Personally, I wouldn't overdo the cinnamon but I really do think, after a lot of research, that ecigs are far safer and better for you than smoking analogs.

We don't necessarily know the long term effects on the lungs from the flavoring but we do know for a fact that smoking is a train wreck for your lungs and your circulatory system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread