Mom's Dr. prefers analogs. So confused...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
The only concern I have at this point is what is in the flavorings. Most of the USA eliquids companies are aware of the issues, I think.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/127760-diy-warning-please-read.html

Personally, I wouldn't overdo the cinnamon but I really do think, after a lot of research, that ecigs are far safer and better for you than smoking analogs.

We don't necessarily know the long term effects on the lungs from the flavoring but we do know for a fact that smoking is a train wreck for your lungs and your circulatory system.

That warning was directed towards DIY people; you can find the ingredients of commercially sold eliquids in the CASAA pamphlet I linked earlier.

I avoid anything made with essential oils (cinnamon, citrus, clove) and eliquids containing diacetyl, but most producers are phasing diacetyl out.

I like clean, clear juices with as little additives as possible. I try to stay away from excessive flavoring, sweeteners, and coloring. But that's just me. Clean juices are also more user-friendly and won't gunk up your atomizer coils. :D

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
That warning was directed towards DIY people; you can find the ingredients of commercially sold eliquids in the CASAA pamphlet I linked earlier.

I avoid anything made with essential oils (cinnamon, citrus, clove) and eliquids containing diacetyl, but most producers are phasing diacetyl out.

I like clean, clear juices with as little additives as possible. I try to stay away from excessive flavoring, sweeteners, and coloring. But that's just me. Clean juices are also more user-friendly and won't gunk up your atomizer coils. :D

I think it is good to be aware of the flavoring in the ejuice. The main components in ecigs PG, VG and nic are all thoroughly vetted, scientifically studied and I am not concerned about using these products. Frankly, as long as the products are made by US manufacturers, I'm not really worried about the flavoring as I think this is an issue they should be quite aware of.

I vape a little cinnamon for a change of pace and stick to tbacco and fruit flavors for most of the rest of my vaping.

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
Wow. That is almost word for word what I say to people.

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
I would ask him which Medical Journal he read that. Ask your mom to do some research and decide what is best for herself. As stated in a previous post, doctors are not deities. After all, some physicians prescribe Chantix to anyone who asks even though there have been more than 2,000 lawsuits filed with the courts.

Butters78

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
San Antonio, Texas, United States
I would ask him which Medical Journal he read that. Ask your mom to do some research and decide what is best for herself. As stated in a previous post, doctors are not deities. After all, some physicians prescribe Chantix to anyone who asks even though there have been more than 2,000 lawsuits filed with the courts.

Said medical journal..

2036803446_af13cb80a2.jpg

Butters78

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
San Antonio, Texas, United States
Maybe he is referring to the guy who had his battery go thermal in his mouth? Only thing I could think of. I think you would have a much higher chance of getting lung cancer from analogs than having a battery blow in your mouth.

That sounded dirty lol.

babyk1352012

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Washington State
lol, agreed no charring of the throat here! Tell her to get a second opinion this doc doesn't sound like he knows his head from his a**. Who would honestly recommend a patient using tobacco over e-cigs?

Sure, if you draw too hard the flames shoot right down your throat. But you get used to it.:evil:

Vapor can irritate your throat until you get used to it, and that's about it - no "charring."

Monk33

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
Vapeland
i think that alot of the comments regarding switching doctors is really ridiculous. This is a doctor he trusts, if anything we should be telling him to go talk to his doctor. Find out where he heard the "charring" information from and if he is misguided, then educate him a bit on the whole situation with ecigs. That way he can go search for the answers himself and make better recommendation next time to other patients.

phalaeo

Jan 14, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA

Funny enough, she tried Chantix and had a horrible reaction to it.

phalaeo

Jan 14, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Sent the thread URL to Mom.

My husband is a research scientist and has access to full articles on PubMed- I'm also going to check there to see if there have been any studies posted, and what they say. It's either updated every week or every day (can't remember which), but in either case, it has the most recent published research that may not have been made available to the general public yet. From what I understand, the full articles can't be seen unless you have access to the site via employment or school, but I can post abstracts if there are any. I'll also print out full articles for her to take to the Dr. should she choose.

spainman

ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2012
Memphis, TN
As it's been mentioned, doctors aren't the end all in everything there is to know. They're just regular people who go to school for longer than others to learn a certain style of medicine put forth by other regular people and there theories on medicine. One of my best friends is a doctor, and I find he's knowledgeable but very close minded when it comes to alternative ideas in regards to health and medicine.

I wouldn't stop going to him based on your family history but just encourage your mom not to quit vaping at his advice at least for the short term. Perhaps as time goes on, her health condition may influence him to rethink what he's heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread