anyone else have to deal with unsupportive family members?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zach904

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2014
Jax, Fl
lol she has gotten over out of me dropping out of my college, but I am only 21 credits away from graduating, and am still enrolled at queens college here in charlotte. I will graduate within the next year with a bachelors in business management, so she is def not annoyed with me leaving college where I was, and my reasons for leaving actually had to do with getting away from drugs (I was at Appalachian state university which has a lot of drug use) so if anything she is kind of supportive on that front

Think she worries that odd smells might be you up to some no good drug business? I could see my parents thinking that..

My whole family approved! Everyone wanted me to stop smoking, especially for health and no one in my family smokes. Just the fact of having no smell in clothes, ashtrays, smell in the house or in the trash was very positive!
My wife, who never smoked, occasionally gives a good drags when we are watching TV ... Yesterday she asked if I could make a juice for her, no nicotine ... showed her my essences and she desired a banana juice ...
In your case, just talking and explaining ... show your mom that smoke is just steam ... ... The FDA does not allow a lack of studies but wonder: Studies show that cigarette kills millions people per year and is allowed .. why not allow the steam?...

element9633

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Think she worries that odd smells might be you up to some no good drug business? I could see my parents thinking that..

Nope! as odd as it sounds, I have agreed to be drug tested at random whenever my parents ask, so she knows its no drug business!! I really think it has to do with her being in the dental field, and seeing first hand oral/throat cancer and knowing what harm tobacco causes, so since theres no definitive studies in her opinion on ecigs, she thinks they are bad. still I ponder why she didn't mention the smell that lingered on me when I used to smoke cigs

Melissa549

Verified Member
Jan 28, 2014
Eau Claire, WI
Well Element I feel your anguish and I understand completely. My 22 year old daughter supports me in my vaping mostly because she doesn't like the smell of cigs. My mother is happy I quit smoking and isn't negative about vaping. My sister on the other hand is like your mother "It's still SMOKING".

I just don't spend much time with my sister anymore and don't talk to her about vaping, so I'm glad I have this forum of vaping friends.

element9633

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Well Element I feel your anguish and I understand completely. My 22 year old daughter supports me in my vaping mostly because she doesn't like the smell of cigs. My mother is happy I quit smoking and isn't negative about vaping. My sister on the other hand is like your mother "It's still SMOKING".

I just don't spend much time with my sister anymore and don't talk to her about vaping, so I'm glad I have this forum of vaping friends.

hey Melissa! thanks for the response. I believe my mom feels the same way as your sister, that im "still smoking". so just as you do, I don't talk about anything vaping related around her. glad to have people like you on ecf to talk to!

SleeZy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2014
Sweden
Odd, for me it's kinda the opposite.
I'm trying to get my mom to quit, each time i visit her house i keep telling her to switch ^^
She's interested, but she's abit blown away how "advanced it all looks" Well it's not realy...
When i've recived my new gear i'm going to give her my current stuff :)

Weird that she blames the vape smell but not smoke? Uhm i can't grasp that ^^
If i were you i'd try to move out, if you can. So much freedom :)

You should tell her to read this:
The Ultimate List of E-Cig Studies: Are E-Cigs Actually Safe? *Updated 2/16/14 » onVaping

Maybe then she will stop picking on yah :)

element9633

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Odd, for me it's kinda the opposite.
I'm trying to get my mom to quit, each time i visit her house i keep telling her to switch ^^
She's interested, but she's abit blown away how "advanced it all looks" Well it's not realy...
When i've recived my new gear i'm going to give her my current stuff :)

Weird that she blames the vape smell but not smoke? Uhm i can't grasp that ^^
If i were you i'd try to move out, if you can. So much freedom :)

You should tell her to read this:
The Ultimate List of E-Cig Studies: Are E-Cigs Actually Safe? *Updated 2/16/14 » onVaping

Maybe then she will stop picking on yah :)

thanks for the reply sleezy! never seen that compilation of research, so I will be sure to take a look through it, and possibly share with my mom.

glad to see most on here have supportive family members!!!

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
I am not going to say go back to school because it is not for everyone. That is definitely a decision that you have to make yourself. As far as living with your parents, yes I know you have to abide by a certain amount of rules. Just be honest with your mom. Explain to her why it is so important for your to continue vaping and not go back to the harmful cigarettes. Tell her that you understand her concerns but at your age, she has to respect your decisions too. After a huge guilt trip, tell her that you will gladly go outside if it cause that much of a problem or that you can vape other flavors in the house. There are so many flavors that are not as strong or less offensive. I would also add that helping around the house or being extra nice always works with me. Good luck to you and even if you have to go outside when she is at home, keep vaping if it is working for you. This whole situation is a temporary one anyway because at some point you will move out but I feel sure you can talk to her and find a reasonable solution.

element9633

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I am not going to say go back to school because it is not for everyone. That is definitely a decision that you have to make yourself. As far as living with your parents, yes I know you have to abide by a certain amount of rules. Just be honest with your mom. Explain to her why it is so important for your to continue vaping and not go back to the harmful cigarettes. Tell her that you understand her concerns but at your age, she has to respect your decisions too. After a huge guilt trip, tell her that you will gladly go outside if it cause that much of a problem or that you can vape other flavors in the house. There are so many flavors that are not as strong or less offensive. I would also add that helping around the house or being extra nice always works with me. Good luck to you and even if you have to go outside when she is at home, keep vaping if it is working for you. This whole situation is a temporary one anyway because at some point you will move out but I feel sure you can talk to her and find a reasonable solution.

thanks rat2chat2! I am actually still enrolled in a university, just not the one I was at. But I am only a semester and a half from my bachelors, so I def want to finish! I know being this young there is nothing better that I can invest in than my education, so I def have no plans of quitting! and she normally doesn't make comments, it was just the other day when I had my door open and I was chain vaping a lot! I don't want people to get the wrong idea, she does not seem to want me to quit! she has just made comments about my vaping habits, and is not openly supportive about my "habit"

mare ze dotes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
WI/Boston
My mother was the one who intro'd me to e cigs. She worked at the hospital and had nurse friends who had them. She told me about them. It did take a few nudges on her part. But it worked! TY mom and your health care friends. 17 month now.

when it comes to will power... might have to have some when it comes to your family.

Last edited:

Peter_C

Who?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2013
Akron, Ohio
www.facebook.com
For unnamed reasons I am no longer in college and am currently living back in my parents house. I just turned 22 and have not smoked for some time now (although I love dip, and have dipped at least once a week for a while now). But the dip is besides the point, ecigs keep me off of stinkies. I mostly vape in my room upstairs, and try to be respectful, because neither of my parents smoke. Well the other day, I got some strawberry cheesecake eliquid and was vaping it. My mom came home and proceeded to ask me if I had been burning anything in my room. I told her no, but I had used some new eliquid, which she then told me to make sure not to burn down the house, and that it smelt like burning ash... I was blown away. My brother (who is 30, so 7 1/2 to 8 years older than me) came over and was talking to me about the same time my mom said she smelt the "burning smell". He likes my ecig and said he couldn't smell anything other than strawberry. To be honest, at this point I feel like my mom would rather me smoke cigs than vape. Atleast when I was smoking cigarettes she didn't make any comments about smell or whatnot. The crazy part is, when me and my dad are drinking, he will try my ecig, and taste the different juices I have, even though he has never smoked! anyone else have to deal with unsupportive family members? oh and my mom is a dental hygienist, so that doesn't;t really help.

tl'dr: my mom thinks my ejuice smells and makes comments about it, but never made comments when I smokes stinkies. She is a dental hygienist

I was a smoker when I met and married my wife. She is a never-smoker. Her father passed from COPD. I never smoked in the house, etc...

After some ten years of marriage (smoking all that time), I quit and started vaping. She is thrilled to say the least. I can not only vape in the house, but can vape while sitting next to her while we watch TV together. She is loving not having to pause a show while I take a smoke break outside, and I love not freezing my .... off any more.

I am sorry to read of your issues - perhaps a sit down conversation might be in order? To clear the air a bit?

I was a smoker when I met and married my wife. She is a never-smoker. Her father passed from COPD. I never smoked in the house, etc...

After some ten years of marriage (smoking all that time), I quit and started vaping. She is thrilled to say the least. I can not only vape in the house, but can vape while sitting next to her while we watch TV together. She is loving not having to pause a show while I take a smoke break outside, and I love not freezing my .... off any more.

I am sorry to read of your issues - perhaps a sit down conversation might be in order? To clear the air a bit?

Ditto. Except both parents there passed of cancer.

However, I'm allowed to vape in the house, the car, on the couch, when reading in bed, whenever I like.

element9633

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I love your attitude, OP!

Your mother is probably never going to truly "come around" (unless/until some dentist or dental journal notes how much better e-cigs are for one's teeth and gums than smoking). :(

Best of wishes for your and your dad's plans! :toast:

Hey, thanks Eleanor! everyone seems to say that about me, guess I just have a pretty positive attitude about life (it is what you make it!). I agree, she probably wont ever really come around fully to the idea of it, since really all I have done it traded one habit for another, although I have gone from 24mg to 8! Thanks for the success wishes on my father and my plan :D

RoseB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2012
Washington
My wife and I have 2adult kids. She desnt have to make sense she is a mom. She doesn't have to listen to reason she is a mom. Right or wrong your going to do it her way in her house. Why? She is a mom. Keeping this in mind find a way to keep her happy! Why? Dude she is YOUR mom.
:toast:

Can I borrow you for a few minutes? You can tell my kids this when they wont eat their healthy foods, and ask why I don't give them soda :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread