Ares, new MTL RTA designed by Phil Busardo and Dimitirs Agrafiotis

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I'm a kayfun lite plus vaper and I've found the Ares and the Siren 2 to have air holes that let me set my vape at a similar flow rate . I usually end up somewhere in the middle of the 5 settings that satisfies my MTL style.

The Ares air control ring needs a lock down scheme or at least some more drag to keep it from changing as you screw the tank on the mod. Even screwed down it moves easily. The Siren 2 air control is nice and tight.

My Beserker is somewhere in the USPS delivery system.

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii

soulseek

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
London, UK
I've read that one, but, don't get too concerned about aldehyde's & carcinogens until you read this from "Dr. F"

Farsalinos Exposes Faults in Formaldehyde Vape Studies - Vaping360

Farsalinos has always been a strong proponent of TC and the dangers of vaping at higher temperatures, in relation to aldehyde emissions. The meta-analysis that they did was to debunk a lot of the bad science out there, in terms of methodologies. (I follow him closely and have even listened to a lot of his talks)

But don't be complacent; higher temperatures and excessive flavourings is the major risk factor in vaping. Yes, it is way safer than smoking but until there is conclusive evidence, I would err on the side of caution.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Exactly right, couldn't agree more. It is hugely disappointing to see such "bad science," as it confuses the public, as well as giving the government ammunition to over-regulate. But I believe there is definitely validity to increased dangers at higher temps. It's not the reason I use TC, as I prefer lower wattages, and my TC limit rarely kicks in at my setting of 410. But I'm sure there are many out there hitting well above the 460-470 range, who ought to take note.

edit: meant to insert @soulseek comment - was agreeing with that

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Exactly right, couldn't agree more. It is hugely disappointing to see such "bad science," as it confuses the public, as well as giving the government ammunition to over-regulate. But I believe there is definitely validity to increased dangers at higher temps. It's not the reason I use TC, as I prefer lower wattages, and my TC limit rarely kicks in at my setting of 410. But I'm sure there are many out there hitting well above the 460-470 range, who ought to take note.

It seems to depend on the atomizer and coil spacing as to how the TC mode on some atomizers respond to a TC vape. I've started barely spacing my coils to allow power mode and TC mode vaping and minimize popping and spitting (using a light stretch and hard compress to get a minimum spacing). I can still see spacing when I hold the coil to a light and move it back and forth.

Some of my coils vape warm enough while reading a 255F temp when set to 420F. Others hit right up into the 400F level and produce about the same vape on the same setting. All that seems to vary from mod to mod.

Last edited:

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Appreciate that, 52. I'll put it at the top of the list after I get the Doggy. Lord, that thing is a monster - 5.7ml??? Do you use it full size, or did you get the micro tank? If micro, can I buy the full sized, and just convert with this, and is the vape significantly different in micro? $6.60 Replacement Micro Tank Set for Coppervape Hussar RTA Atomizer at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
If you like TH with your flavor, you're gonna love KM3. I wish they made a Prime version with the same deck & chimney dimensions.

I've got my V3 mini (Thanks DPL & Kat). I've been running it none stop since 1700 hrs. yesterday afternoon. I am VERY impressed. The TH is better than anything else I have (Siren V1, CV Hussar w/1.3mm air pin Standard and Micro tanks, and even my Berserker). I have the draw all dialed in to my tight satisfaction also. I'm using the same build and juice as in my CV Hussar, and same juice as in my Berserker and Siren V1.

With the same juice this V3 mini's flavor is about the same as my Siren V1, but the V3 mini wins on the TH and draw.

The V3 mini wins on flavor with the same juice compared to my Hussar w/1.3mm air pin, and the V3 also wins on TH and about the same on draw.

The V3 wins on flavor with the same juice (just barely) and TH compared to my Berserker, and ties it on draw.

Hope this helps you a little @Brewdawg1181

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
I've got my V3 mini (Thanks DPL & Kat). I've been running it none stop since 1700 hrs. yesterday afternoon. I am VERY impressed. The TH is better than anything else I have (Siren V1, CV Hussar w/1.3mm air pin Standard and Micro tanks, and even my Berserker). I have the draw all dialed in to my tight satisfaction also. I'm using the same build and juice as in my CV Hussar, and same juice as in my Berserker and Siren V1.

With the same juice this V3 mini's flavor is about the same as my Siren V1, but the V3 mini wins on the TH and draw.

The V3 mini wins on flavor with the same juice compared to my Hussar w/1.3mm air pin, and the V3 also wins on TH and about the same on draw.

The V3 wins on flavor with the same juice (just barely) and TH compared to my Berserker, and ties it on draw.

Wellll, that's a double edged sword! I'm thrilled for you, but kind of bummed for me. :(
I was kind of hoping you'd tell me that you got a better throat hit out of __(fill in the blank with any newer tank I don't have), so I could get a new shorter one with all the easy build/fill, more capacity, etc.

Oh well, you didn't list the Doggy, and I have that on the way. Maybe, just maybe.....:)

BTW, the airflow on my Mini seemed kind of weird. It' be perfect in the am, and seems like it changed throughout the day for some reason. Maybe a little condensation builds up or something. Like many, I just pulled the screw out. It was a little airier than I liked - at first. But I think I get a little better TH that way for some reason. I dialed in what I liked best with 316L 28ga/2.5mm/7 wraps- a little less than 0.8 ohm. Compared to the others I've tried, this thing sips the juice, too.

Glad you like it. Did you say you got the LieFeng from 3F? If Doggy doesn't do it, I'll have to get more.

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
The LieFeng hasn't come in yet though dawg, I am talking about the one that Kat sent to me to try. It's a 3ml capacity but don't know who makes it, it has all the SvoeMesto markings on it but none others, and it is a Clone, so ..... ?? I should try taking my screw out and see what that does. I'm running a 2.5mm, 6 wrap, Kanthal A-1, 28g spaced coil with Good Ole KGD wicking for 1.15Ω @ 8 watts w/a 9 watt preheat using ArcticFox Firmware for .4 sec. and a 3 sec. relax on my Presa 100TC. I simply LOVE the Throat Hit I'm getting on this thing. After reading your posts about the V3 mini, I'm glad Kat saw my post and sent over one to try (that was Super of her) after I ordered the (2) V3 mini LieFeng's from 3fvape. This is the first time I have tried a KayFun of any stripe in the 3+ years I have been vaping. I really like the Berserker alot, but, the TH just does not compare to the V3 mini. Your right, the V3 mini has a really Good TH, and it must be from the smaller chimney (I think you or someone has said). Mine seems to go thru juice noticeably faster than my Berserker does though. I can't remember if you also had a Ares or not.

Edit; No, I don't have a Doggie to compare with. Sorry.:(

Last edited:

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
The LieFeng hasn't come in yet though dawg, I am talking about the one that Kat sent to me to try. It's a 3ml capacity but don't know who makes it, it has all the SvoeMesto markings on it but none others, and it is a Clone, so ..... ?? I should try taking my screw out and see what that does. I'm running a 2.5mm, 6 wrap, Kanthal A-1, 28g spaced coil with Good Ole KGD wicking for 1.15Ω @ 8 watts w/a 9 watt preheat using ArcticFox Firmware for .4 sec. and a 3 sec. relax on my Presa 100TC. I simply LOVE the Throat Hit I'm getting on this thing. After reading your posts about the V3 mini, I'm glad Kat saw my post and sent over one to try (that was Super of her) after I ordered the (2) V3 mini LieFeng's from 3fvape. This is the first time I have tried a KayFun of any stripe in the 3+ years I have been vaping. I really like the Berserker alot, but, the TH just does not compare to the V3 mini. Your right, the V3 mini has a really Good TH, and it must be from the smaller chimney (I think you or someone has said). Mine seems to go thru juice noticeably faster than my Berserker does though. I can't remember if you also had a Ares or not.

Edit; No, I don't have a Doggie to compare with. Sorry.:(
Yeah, it's gotta be the narrow bell/chimney. I've got the Prime & K5, and they don't compare. And maybe it doesn't sip the juice so much as the fact the TH satisfies, and keeps me from needing big frequent hits like I do on others.

Be careful with that thing, though- you'll end up like me, and nothing else will work for you!

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii

I took one of mine out and put it back in my rotation around the time you talked about ordering one. I had forgotten how good the vape is on this thing. It takes a little more maintenance since the wick seems to clog faster than the CLR heads I’ve been mostly using, but I still think the flavor and throat-hit (even on 6 mg nic) I get from the KMv3 is superior.

FYI, the vape on the Kayfun 4 is about the same, but the thing is a beast (I call it my “mini-nuke”). More capacity, but not as reliable in TC mode.

Last edited:

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
Vape mail came today the ares tank. So far so good before filling i can confirm the shower head a some call it under where the the coil is does unscrew took it off and put back on.
Anyways useing the 1 ohm coil reads .99 on mod and tried 16 watts which is too much for me its dialed down now to 12.5 which is sweet spot with the clr coils and it gives a nice vape.
Still breaking it in some.
With it wide open its more airy than the megav2 with clr wide open which is how i use those, with the ares i keep it open at the 2 largest holes only for a similar draw.
Happy to say the airflow ring on this one is tight to adjust as should be.
Time will tell but so far liking it.
My fear is leakage but too early to report anything in that area.

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
HPIM1034 (Small).JPG
HPIM1035 (Small).JPG
Never had any tank larger than 22mm when this came put it on the SMY dna 75w and there is a slight overhang but on the dna VT 75w nano there is no overhang at all either way glad i do not have to buy a mod to fit this tank as really do not need more mods.Will vape this exclusively for a week or so until satisfied it does not leak . Vaping on the 3 smaller holes now and like that flow.
Picture on dna vt nano mod

Cirus

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2014
Texas
You need a protank or aerotank coil. Pull out the 510 pin and then the grommet. It has 2 lips on it. I cut off the smaller of the 2 and slide it into the central air channel.
$3.79 Universal Dual Coil Unit for Kanger Clearomizer (5-Pack) 5-pack - 1.5ohm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Vape shops are such a rip. Didn't want to wait a few weeks, so I got a single coil today at a shop close to my office, and it cost me $4.29. But hopefully, it'll save me a $40 tank.:thumbs:
You're talking about this- the rubber grommet, right?
View attachment 713139
For the K5, I used the pin of the Aspire BVC coil after dremeling off the part at the horizontal hole, so just want to be sure. And thanks, Ian, for posting this possible solution!

Since the (stupid) shower head screws off, and the Siren, Hastur, and Skyline all offered different inserts, seems odd that Phil chose not to go the multiple insert route (or at least something that directed the air to the coil instead of around). Not too late, they could offer it aftermarket. And as someone else pointed out, I hate to say it, but the obnoxious Vic seems to have been spot on with this observation- how did they miss this?

If this doesn't work, someone else mentioned sealing off some of the outer holes of the shower head...I may have to try that, but it sure is tiny to work with for my old eyes.

That is the one. Snip off the small lip and then push the rest into the air channel with the thick lip sticking out. Will be a tight fit so it will not move once you get it in. I've been using this technique for a couple of years. Will be interested in hearing if it works for you. Four bucks is a crazy price for what you are getting!!!
$4 each at my LVS. I snipped off both lips and put the diffuser back on just for kicks. Doing this didn't block as many holes in the diffuer as I thought it would. Seemed to only partially block the holes on the perimeter. Definitely a tighter draw. About like the second smallest on the Berserker. I'm not noticing much else. For the sake of comparison, I should have put the same build back on, but I didn't. Flavor is better but I went from 28g SS316L to 26g so I can't comment on how the grommet effected anything other than the draw. Thanks Ian!

I'm having a lot of trouble as of today with my Ares MTL RTA. It's been working great for the few weeks I've had it... until today.

First of all, the bottom gold connector screw spins freely. I'm not sure if this was the case before or if something broke, but I think it's related to my main problem.

I'm getting no connection at all. I've tried the atty on my Smok AL85 as well as two other box mods. It just says no coil. I've replaced the coils too, but same result. "NO COIL"

I really don't know how to diagnose this problem. Between the bottom gold screw spinning freely and no obvious way to remove the AFC ring, it seems the atty can't really be taken apart to see what's going on.

Any suggestions? Has anyone else run into this problem? And how about that gold connector screw on the bottom... does yours spin?

Thanks!

• Informative
Reactions: 52anddone

sk25411

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2017
San Diego, California
And it looks like your dog can get a drink of water from the next room!:) Now [U said:
that's[/U] overhang!

Seriously. I’ve had dogs since I was a kid, and this one out fetches any pure bred lab my family has ever owned, or any dog I’ve ever met!

I have to hide tennis balls, and take them away, he will go non stop, I’d assume until he passed out....or died...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread