Status
Not open for further replies.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
according to this Bill Information the bill was passed, and it did define vapor products as tobacco products. I'm still reading but haven't seen anything specifically banning online sales, though that my be a product of the rules for tobacco sales, or a permit thing.

So far these are some gems in the law:
(13) “e-liquid” and "e-liquid product" means a liquid product,
13 which may or may not contain nicotine, that is vaporized and inhaled when
14 using a vapor product, and that may or may not include without limitation
15 propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, nicotine from any source, and
16 flavorings;

(C) “Manufacturer” specifically includes a person that
14 mixes, compounds, repackages, or resizes e-liquids or vapor products;

13 (38) "Vapor product" means an electronic oral device of any size
14 or shape that contains a vapor of nicotine, e-liquid, or any another
15 substance that when used or inhaled simulates smoking, regardless of whether
16 a visible vapor is produced, including without limitation a device that:
17 (A) Is composed of a heating element, battery, electronic
18 circuit, chemical process, mechanical device or a combination of heating
19 element, battery, electronic circuit, chemical process or mechanical device;
20 (B) Works in combination with a cartridge, other container
21 or liquid delivery device containing nicotine or any other substance and
22 manufactured for use with vapor products;
23 (C) Is manufactured, distributed, marketed, or sold as any
24 type or derivation of a vapor product, e-cigarette, e-cigar, e-pipe, or any
25 other product name or descriptor; and
26 (D) Does not include a product regulated as a drug or
27 device by the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, 21 U.S.C. § 301 et seq.,
28 as it existed on January 1, 2015;

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Okay, I think I found it:
"In December 2004, Arkansas similarly banned Internet cigarette retailers when the Supreme Court of Arkansas upheld the Arkansas Tobacco Control Board's ruling that tobacco retailers must have a physical space in the state in order to obtain a license to sell cigarettes directly to consumers in Arkansas."

From Selling cigarettes online - WORLD Law Direct
So if the company has no physical presence in the state, they cannot sell online in the state directly to consumers. Although I'm not positive that this was amended to include vapor products, e-liquid.

Painter_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
In my happy place
Okay, I think I found it:
"In December 2004, Arkansas similarly banned Internet cigarette retailers when the Supreme Court of Arkansas upheld the Arkansas Tobacco Control Board's ruling that tobacco retailers must have a physical space in the state in order to obtain a license to sell cigarettes directly to consumers in Arkansas."

From Selling cigarettes online - WORLD Law Direct
So if the company has no physical presence in the state, they cannot sell online in the state directly to consumers. Although I'm not positive that this was amended to include vapor products, e-liquid.

Thanks Lessifer for researching this. So since they had a law on the books banning internet cigarette sales as soon as they classified vapor products (including non-nicotine) as tobacco they equate them to cigarettes thus causing a defacto ban on internet sales. So very slick of the them. I almost transferred to Arkansas a few years ago, I am glad that I turned it down.

Utsuru

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2013
Arkansas, USA
Thanks Lessifer for researching this. So since they had a law on the books banning internet cigarette sales as soon as they classified vapor products (including non-nicotine) as tobacco they equate them to cigarettes thus causing a defacto ban on internet sales. So very slick of the them. I almost transferred to Arkansas a few years ago, I am glad that I turned it down.

I hate this state's politics.

Smokin' Iron

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Arkansas politicians probably do not want to ban online sales. They are paving the way to tax vaping the same way they tax tobacco products.

Politicians and prostitutes both love other peoples money. The only difference is prostitutes have higher morals and integrity.

Utsuru

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2013
Arkansas, USA
Arkansas politicians probably do not want to ban online sales. They are paving the way to tax vaping the same way they tax tobacco products.

Politicians and prostitutes both love other peoples money. The only difference is prostitutes have higher morals and integrity.

I fear they're trying to do it in a way as to make Arkansans to buy their products at local retailers where they will be heavily marked up and taxed. I sure hope not. I'm trying to remain positive but I'm finding it really difficult right now.

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio
http://www.atc.ar.gov/Documents/LCM.pdf
If you have an existing Retail Cigarette & Tobacco Permit, Wholesale Tobacco Permit or Manufacturer Tobacco Permit, those permits automatically include vapor products and alternative nicotine products effective July 21, 2015.
Effective July 21, 2015, retailers MUST purchase ALL vapor products, e-liquids and alternative nicotine products from Arkansas licensed wholesalers, Arkansas licensed manufacturers, or fellow Arkansas licensed retailers.
Also effective July 21, 2015, vapor product, e-liquid and alternative nicotine product invoices must be maintained just like cigarette and tobacco product invoices.
Retailers should notify their clerks that ATC will begin including vapor products, e-liquids and alternative nicotine products during sale-to-minor compliance checks performed after July 21, 2015.

In reading over the bill and from a few out of state vendors on reddit it looks like out of state eliquid manufactures have to obtain a permit in order to sell to Arkansas licensed retailers/wholesalers and it is unlawful for them to sell directly to end consumers. So basically it is unlawful for anyone to ship from out of state to consumers in Arkansas. Retail permits in Arkansas require a B&M and only allow over the counter sales, so no online sales for Arkansas shops either.

rhm3769

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
Huntersville, NC
http://www.atc.ar.gov/Documents/LCM.pdf
If you have an existing Retail Cigarette & Tobacco Permit, Wholesale Tobacco Permit or Manufacturer Tobacco Permit, those permits automatically include vapor products and alternative nicotine products effective July 21, 2015.
Effective July 21, 2015, retailers MUST purchase ALL vapor products, e-liquids and alternative nicotine products from Arkansas licensed wholesalers, Arkansas licensed manufacturers, or fellow Arkansas licensed retailers.
Also effective July 21, 2015, vapor product, e-liquid and alternative nicotine product invoices must be maintained just like cigarette and tobacco product invoices.
Retailers should notify their clerks that ATC will begin including vapor products, e-liquids and alternative nicotine products during sale-to-minor compliance checks performed after July 21, 2015.

In reading over the bill and from a few out of state vendors on reddit it looks like out of state eliquid manufactures have to obtain a permit in order to sell to Arkansas licensed retailers/wholesalers and it is unlawful for them to sell directly to end consumers. So basically it is unlawful for anyone to ship from out of state to consumers in Arkansas. Retail permits in Arkansas require a B&M and only allow over the counter sales, so no online sales for Arkansas shops either.
Not from Arkansas.... But here's a thought from just skimming the postings.... No online sales to consumers and out of state stuff can only be brought in for sale by local businesses, did I read that right? Does it restrict online sales from out of state companies to local B&Ms? See where I'm going? Offer a "special order" service.... It'll be more of a hassle, with fees to use the service but it could be a way to get around, I think....
Again, I didn't read everything here....

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio
The law would never hold up in a court. A state can't restrict interstate commerce in this manner...

The bill classifies vapor products as tobacco products thereby inherently prohibits any online retail or direct online B2C sales of any "vapor product, alternative nicotine product or e-liquid product" to occur within the Arkansas state line.
I hope someone challenges it but I feel it's going to take everyone nationwide coming together and funding it.

Commerce Clause Limitations on State Regulation
The Commerce Clause is a grant of power to Congress, not an express limitation on the power of the states to regulate the economy. At least four possible interpretations of the Commerce Clause have been proposed. First, it has been suggested that the Clause gives Congress the exclusive power to regulate commerce. Under this interpretation, states are divested of all power to regulate interstate commerce. Second, it has been suggested that the Clause gives Congress and the states concurrent power to regulate commerce. Under this view, state regulation of commerce is invalid only when it is preempted by federal law. Third, it has been suggested that the Clause assumes that Congress and the states each have their own mutually exclusive zones of regulatory power. Under this interpretation, it becomes the job of the courts to determine whether one sovereign has invaded the exclusive regulatory zone of the other. Finally, it has been suggested that the Clause by its own force divests states of the power to regulate commerce in certain ways, but the states and Congress retain concurrent power to regulate commerce in many other ways. This fourth interpretation, a complicated hybrid of two others, turns out to be the approach taken by the Court in its decisions interpreting the Commerce Clause.

Last edited:
Reactions: Racehorse
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread