Status
Not open for further replies.

Slickstick

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I am pretty sure the diacetyl has been weeded out by now. Flavor art stopped selling the bad liquids, and all of the flavoring manufacturers were contacted and they themselves have corrected the problem and even posted it on their websites. Even new suppliers would be hard pressed to find a flavoring company to sell a flavoring with diacetyl in it. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be as safe as possible. But there are still liquids out there with diacetyl in it, and the few suppliers who sell them state how much of it is in there. But even liquid tested with the highest amount of diacetyl was microscopic. We aren't drinking the liquid. We are vaping diluted ingredients. I myself have been vaping Buttered Popcorn religiously for 2 years because I did not want to throw it out and I am not dead yet. Go beat a different horse please.

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
I am pretty sure the diacetyl has been weeded out by now.
False, it has not!:(

Flavor art stopped selling the bad liquids, and all of the flavoring manufacturers were contacted and they themselves have corrected the problem and even posted it on their websites.
False again. I am on their website daily. Apparently, you are not.:(

Even new suppliers would be hard pressed to find a flavoring company to sell a flavoring with diacetyl in it.
False again.:(

There is nothing wrong with wanting to be as safe as possible.
True.:)

But there are still liquids out there with diacetyl in it, and the few suppliers who sell them state how much of it is in there.
True on the liquids.:( False for the majority of suppliers disclosing.:(

But even liquid tested with the highest amount of diacetyl was microscopic.
True, but any amount is too much for the microscopic cells of our lung tissue. It's different if we eat it.:(

We aren't drinking the liquid. We are vaping diluted ingredients.
True.:(

I myself have been vaping Buttered Popcorn religiously for 2 years because I did not want to throw it out and I am not dead yet.
:):):) Looks like we have a volunteer guinea pig!:) Thank you.:)

Go beat a different horse please.

Beat a different horse indeed! Degenerative disease is not arrived at by one bad deed but by the cumulative effect of numerous contaminants and carcinogens mutating our cells. Do your research! And while you're at it, you absolutely must figure in the sudden new danger of the constant breathing in of the current serious levels of radiation from the recent Japan nuclear mishap that is saturating our North American airspace. It is worse than ever and reportedly 100 times worse in Japan than what is safe. Presently, it is not only out of control, but worse than it was at the time of the mishap. Google it!

Add up the radiation/industrial/environmental atomospheric contaminants and carcinogens, airborne mold spores (that most every household has to some degree), and intentionally adding diacetyl in any amount - and there you have it - a new horse to beat which is now more serious than the original.:(

Slickstick

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Well if it really is as bad as all of the hype I will be the first to die. So just keep tabs on me. I love me some buttered popcorn. And if e-cigarettes kill me faster than regular cigarettes would I would just rather die anyway since I can't kick the nicotine habit. I will NOT go back to smoking, and I certainly cannot break the nicotine habit. I will vape til I die, regardless of the health scares. We all smoked for years, (20 myself) knowing full well they would kill you. I won't knowingly sell diacetyl flavored liquids, But I am not afraid to vape it. The tobacco companies sure will sell you a cigarette though. And if you are scared to vape a flavor you know has it in there, you certainly shouldn't. In 3 more years my lungs should be as pink as they were when I was 10. If they are not, I will let everybody know. I am more concerned about gum and throat diseases than my lungs. Don't forget to brush your teeth often, and drink lots of water.

Last edited:

Fernand

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2010
Californeea
Slick, weren't you saying something like "can't blame vendors for not warning users"? The diacetyl issue has been superficially defused, but its replacements like acetoin, acetylpropionyl and others are not safe either. I didn't invent that, NIOSH and OSHA did. The whole family of buttery flavors, having been associated with fatalities, has ZERO place in e-liquids. BTW, this is a direct irritant, and has no relation to radiation or carcinogens.

OSHA also recently stated that it's the vendor's responsibility to become fully informed, and have mandated hazard labeling on containers. It's no longer a matter of conjecture or personal preference, and it's not right to say it is. Clearly this horse isn't down.

Clearly you're not dead. It's wonderful that you have checked your lungs and don't show the initial signs of bronchial obstruction. Who's forcing you to choose between cigarettes and inhaling buttered popcorn? And what does it have to do with nicotine or cigarette companies? You have every right to do whatever to yourself. But as a vendor do you have a right to sell liquids flavored with stuff that flavor-makers are flagging as "unsuitable for vaping"? To sell them without any disclosure, on the grounds that it would reduce sales, as you argued, is unconscionable. Such behavior is a powerful argument against our unregulated cottage industry.

Last edited:

Slickstick

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Most of us do our best. Headed by the NVC, We have been trying (most of us) to raise money for proper research. It is not cheap by any means. We are almost there, but not there yet. All of the flavorings I myself purchase, are from companies that have been asked to remove it from the flavors, which all have done except one, who posts the amount on diacetyl on each flavoring that they carry, which I do not purchase. The most popular flavoring suppliers whom we all have heard of and continue to purchase from, are straight. It may still be out there, but it is not from anyone from this forum. I have already had my words taken out of context by miss know it all who is an expert in the field, and this is a non issue for me, so I will not reply in this post again. Giving this thread a bump makes me ill. Vaping it myself does not. I am pretty sure no sponsoring supplier on ecf sells that ..... If they knowingly do and do not tell customers, they should be banned. I take that back. I did mean to say that flavor art posts the flavors that have it.

Seabrook

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Oceanside, CA
Well if it really is as bad as all of the hype I will be the first to die. So just keep tabs on me. I love me some buttered popcorn. And if e-cigarettes kill me faster than regular cigarettes would I would just rather die anyway since I can't kick the nicotine habit. I will NOT go back to smoking, and I certainly cannot break the nicotine habit. I will vape til I die, regardless of the health scares. We all smoked for years, (20 myself) knowing full well they would kill you. I won't knowingly sell diacetyl flavored liquids, But I am not afraid to vape it. The tobacco companies sure will sell you a cigarette though. And if you are scared to vape a flavor you know has it in there, you certainly shouldn't. In 3 more years my lungs should be as pink as they were when I was 10. If they are not, I will let everybody know. I am more concerned about gum and throat diseases than my lungs. Don't forget to brush your teeth often, and drink lots of water.

Ah, dearheart, nobody wants you to die. I would be totally crushed if you did. I love hot buttered popcorn too. I knowingly vape diacetyl twice a month; Capella’s Vanilla Custard, my weakness.

I can’t remember where I read this, but …….. anyway, supposedly when the FDA cracked down on BT and made them list all their ingred. in making cigarettes, turns out diacetyl was among the ingredients. If that is true, we’ve all been inhaling diacetyl for years.

Don’t worry about the nicotine. It has been scientifically proven that it can be beneficial. Our Creator even put it in our fruits, veggies, barley and fermented foods for our bodily needs.(See sources below).

… a lower incidence of Alzheimer's disease in smokers
… patients with ulcerative colitis had fewer flare-ups when taking nicotine
… study showed that nicotine actually boosts the growth of new blood vessels. The discovery may lead to new treatments for diabetes.
… people with depression who were treated with nicotine patches reported a decrease in their depressive feelings

Discovery Health "How can nicotine be good for me?"

Other diseases for which smoking and nicotine appear to be protective are ulcerative colitis, Tourette's Syndrome, and possibly rheumatoid arthritis and colorectal cancer.

This link below even shows the scientific research papers (too techie for me, lol).
Nicotine Benefits

Fernand

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2010
Californeea
BTW, Flavour Arts identifies the flavors that they have so far been unable to make "convincing" without one of the diacetyl family members and they state that these are not suitable for vaping. They are being offered to their FOOD industry customers, not for making e-liquids.

But take a good look at the flavors that they say they have not been able to make without using diacetyl or one of the diacetyl equivalents.

Then take a look at some other supplier's flavors, look for ones similar to what Flavour Art has flagged as unvapable. Also look for ones that FlavourArt is no longer offering. If you find them, ask yourself how on earth this other company has been able to make them "diacetyl-free", when Flavour Art (who make their own flavoring) has tried and failed. And then ask yourself honestly if the others have really eliminated the unsuitable-for-vaping flavoring, or have just replaced the diacetyl in them with one of its equivalents. When it seems too good to be true, it usually is.

Seabrook, of COURSE we've all been inhaling some diacetyl for years - every buttered toast, every tub of popcorn. Remember, diacetyl is a natural component of butter. But at what concentration? And it's a different story if somebody who's selling heavily buttery flavored e-liquids does it without any warning.

Last edited:

blackwater

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
NH
www.blackwatersound.com
Not sure why this thread died... But some suppliers I've contacted recently say that they have seen test results from their Chinese suppliers but haven't done independent testing. Do you think the Chinese suppliers would alter tear results? I don't see why not. It's a huge industry. I applaud those suppliers who do independent testing on their flavors.

Justinking

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jul 22, 2011
Asheville NC
www.vapeunited.com
With Flavor West, and Vapor Renu being the same, does that mean that Their Flavorings also don't contain Diacetyl? Sweet Cream Is the main one I'm concerned with, if this is not the case, where can I get Something as close to the same flavor as possible that doesn't contain Diacetyl? Please like the comment if you respond to it, so I can see there's an answer lol Thanks! :D
Vapor Renu flavorings are excellent and they were one of the first to declare theor stock was diacetyl free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread