Status
Not open for further replies.

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
Hit that at 6v+ if you don't want to break it down. Should work okay :) vaped some caramel popcorn all day at 2.4 and It delivered just the right flavor at 3.7v. I had to stop at night because I got caramel popcorn overdose. i found my other prewrapped coil in a ziplock bag that I was about to throw away. Screwed it back into the ato-miser and it fired up just fine :)

I cranked it up to 5.5 and it hit much better on the 3.8 ohm, I'll try 6 later. I made another one and got much closer. The first one was with the 3.0 wire and this one is with the 2.0, it metered 2.4. I'm seem to be making them high for some reason but I'll work on that later. I'm happy with the one at 2.4 running it about 4.2v. I did detect a little of the off taste you talked about at first but it wasn't as bad as I was expecting, I'm breaking it in as fast as I can hah.

oh and I'm totally happy with the amount of fluid it holds. Dripping is almost like loading a cart as far as longevity without the filler and there's been no leaking so far, wooo hooo.

Last edited:

benjayman2

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 29, 2010
Chicago, IL
I cranked it up to 5.5 and it hit much better on the 3.8 ohm, I'll try 6 later. I made another one and got much closer. The first one was with the 3.0 wire and this one is with the 2.0, it metered 2.4. I'm seem to be making them high for some reason but I'll work on that later. I'm happy with the one at 2.4 running it about 4.2v. I did detect a little of the off taste you talked about at first but it wasn't as bad as I was expecting, I'm breaking it in as fast as I can hah.

oh and I'm totally happy with the amount of fluid it holds. Dripping is almost like loading a cart as far as longevity without the filler and there's been no leaking so far, wooo hooo.

Glad it's working out for you. I would have felt bad if I was leading people on.

Got mine in today as expected. Nice service Drew! I got the wrong screwdriver as well but no biggie. You can get precision screwdriver sets at wallyworld for @ 5$. My first attempt produced burnt tast even after 2 hours of "burn off". Since im not sure how to read ohms on my meter i have no idea what the res is. Second try is working nicely, I used more wraps. I can tell that within a week or two i will have mastered the learning curve so im very happy. Jay thanks for taking your valuable time to share your experience with this atty, its been a great help.Drew, thanks so much for this invention. Saving me hundreds of dollars a year is a big deal to me, being a single dad. Thats a lot of happy meals!

benjayman2

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 29, 2010
Chicago, IL
Glad it's working for you. For your meter, attach the red female plug to the vΩmA and the black female plug to the COM port. Turn your dial to the lowest Ω range (mine is 0 to 200). Then with the male ends of your plugs place the black end on the center post of your atty and then the red end on the outside of that (there is a hole that ato-miser screw, the one that looks like a lego, atttaches too where you can place the red end). Hope this makes sense. I think it's pretty vital that you have a MM with these to check resistance unless you have a mod that reads one like the pro-vari and the soon to be released darwin.

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
Yeah get meter definitely if you're going to use these, way to many variables can happen. Especially when we're new to them. Once we've got a few under out belt it'll probably be easier to put one together with close to perfect results.

I played today with the first one I made with 3.0 wire that was measuring 3.8ohm. I moved the coil up a little. It didn't look like it was touching the screw or bottom or anything else so I didn't think it would make any difference. Measured again and it's 3.0 now. So with my minimal tinkering so far moving the coil a little made a big difference.

The 2.4 I made has lost the initial off taste as is just YUMMY now. Don't seem to be getting quite the vapor production I was with my boge cartos and the same liquid...although it's close but what I'm really liking is the flavor is much better.

MahBohMan

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2010
Rhode Island
I wouldn't doubt it if the off taste your getting is from chemicals at the factory being inside the wick material itself. I have burnt wicks intentionally from ce-2 r4 cartos before filling and most of them have turned black fast, then back to the nice white color we all see when we get them. Most likely there are chemicals mixing with your juice, then they dilute and burn off at the coil and it tastes the way it should.I would at least wash and dry the wicks before using them with this device...by the way I ordered mine last week still waiting :) but I am patient.

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
More than likely is. I will say it's no more of an off taste than I get initially with any other atty and doesn't last long. When I decide to break one down and redo it I'll do a rinse and a dry burn. That should cover both the wick and the coil and take care of it from the get go. As good as they are performing though that might be a while, I'm really liking these.

benjayman2

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 29, 2010
Chicago, IL
So I modded my ato-miser so that It could top feed with my puffer mod. It was working great until the puffer decided to give up on me. The ato-miser still works fine though on my other mods. Just thought I'd share a pic.

Attachments

• IMG_0272.jpg
    IMG_0272.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0271.jpg
    IMG_0271.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 79

P3ST1L3NC3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Bagram, Afghanistan
i made my own atomizer a long time ago out of an dead 510. i bought silica wick from macmaster-carr, and it tasted horrible. to get rid of the bad taste i soaked the wicks in iso alcohol for a few hours, rinsed really good with hot water, then put them in a pyrex baking dish and into the oven they went at 450 degrees for about 20ish minutes, when they came out they were dry and had NO bad taste. i will be buying the ato-miser becuase it looks much easer to work on than the haggard homemade 510 ive got!

benjayman2

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 29, 2010
Chicago, IL
i made my own atomizer a long time ago out of an dead 510. i bought silica wick from macmaster-carr, and it tasted horrible. to get rid of the bad taste i soaked the wicks in iso alcohol for a few hours, rinsed really good with hot water, then put them in a pyrex baking dish and into the oven they went at 450 degrees for about 20ish minutes, when they came out they were dry and had NO bad taste. i will be buying the ato-miser becuase it looks much easer to work on than the haggard homemade 510 ive got!
at least you had the courage to try and make a rebuildable atty. For that a salute you :) but yah the ato-miser is as easy as sticks and stones :p

P3ST1L3NC3

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Bagram, Afghanistan
making the atty was a serious pain. soldering extremely small tubes to the side and center of the base of a 510 was not fun. in the end the thing was still really harsh, i think due to too much or too little air / draw. i cant wait to get my hands on drews creation. looks simple. easy. and best of all, i never have to worry about running out of attys.

Hey just checking in on your thread Jay. Ive got this ato miser pretty much wipped. Im getting great vapor now without any harshness. Im likening it to the 801 in vapor quality and vape production very high at 6 v. Im using 36ga nicrome wire from jacobs online. The key is to get your windings tight together. this seems the produce a finer texture of vapor. If your windings are or become sloppy then the vapor is course and sputtery thus giving you a harsher throat hit and taste. You only need about one inch length silica, folded in half, and make your windings tight, close , and neat. Also your leg from the screw to the winding need be short, but the coil must be up off the face of the atty.

benjayman2

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 29, 2010
Chicago, IL
Hey just checking in on your thread Jay. Ive got this ato miser pretty much wipped. Im getting great vapor now without any harshness. Im likening it to the 801 in vapor quality and vape production very high at 6 v. Im using 36ga nicrome wire from jacobs online. The key is to get your windings tight together. this seems the produce a finer texture of vapor. If your windings are or become sloppy then the vapor is course and sputtery thus giving you a harsher throat hit and taste. You only need about one inch length silica, folded in half, and make your windings tight, close , and neat. Also your leg from the screw to the winding need be short, but the coil must be up off the face of the atty.

Agree with all the tips you mentioned. I just ordered a bunch of different gauges from jacobs online too :)

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
Let us know what gauges work out best for you and what ohm you're getting. I'll have to order some eventually but not anytime soon, still have about 57 left and been vaping on the same 2 builds for two weeks now and they just keep getting better, so I'm not in a hurry. Still researching the wicking, that seems to be the hardest part of the equation. Silica seems to be the best I've found but everyone recommends soaking it first.

Last edited:

benjayman2

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 29, 2010
Chicago, IL
Let us know what gauges work out best for you and what ohm you're getting. I'll have to order some eventually but not anytime soon, still have about 57 left and been vaping on the same 2 builds for two weeks now and they just keep getting better, so I'm not in a hurry. Still researching the wicking, that seems to be the hardest part of the equation. Silica seems to be the best I've found but everyone recommends soaking it first.

You try burning them with a butane torch? Kind of like what people do with CE2's? I have no reason to yet because like you said once the burn in period is over the work really well. I have not felt compelled to build a new one, but I will when the wire comes in and for sure give everyone an update :)

MahBohMan

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2010
Rhode Island
OK here's what I did, built 1 setup to test right out of the box with the supposed 2 ohm wire which is incorrect rating for this wire. I metered it out at (after building it 2.6 ohms screw to screw). BTW I am an electrician. I wet it out and burned it...wet burn wet burn with ejuice every time. Nasty funny taste. Decided instead of burning the wick with a lighter, I would take a sealable bottle like a big vitamin bottle, take the remaining 29 wicks put em in the bottle, and fill the bottle with alcohol. I let it sit 15-20 minutes shaking it occasionally. I then put the wicks into a handheld flour sifter to rinse with hot hot water. Flushed them 100% alcohol free. Threw them in the over at 450 for 20 minutes. The difference is night and day The wick stays clean from the first fire all day long....no black at all....nice. I also took the nichrome wire and cleaned with alcohol, rinsed and dried with towel. I also took the whole atomizer and sat it in alcohol 15 minutes, rinsed it and dried it off too, don't forget...this is machined metal, and what do they do when they machine metal? They OIL it, could be some film left on the metal. Anyways its working good now with no off taste immediately upon building a new atty. Hope this helps.

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
Yeah I've read of people soaking the wick and wire before initial use and it helped with the initial off taste. I'll do that next time but for me the off taste to start really wasn't that bad. No more than any other atty I've had before breaking it in and it didn't last that long. Still a soak isn't that hard to do before I make another.

I think the way it's built, and and amount of wire that's wrapped has to do with the ohm also. I built two with the 3ohm wire and got different readings each time. The first was 3.8 the second was much closer to 3, 3.1 I think. The only 2ohm I've built so far turned out to be 2.4.

I'd like to experiment more with them but I'm liking them to much to break them down. They keep getting better and better. Going on 2 weeks now for both.

I also built each differently. I built one close to the screw, just high enough it didn't touch. The second I built the coil as high as I could without it touching the housing. The one I built I is the one I like best I can drip like crazy and it never floods or leaks. I put 20 drops in it this morning and it doesn't leak unless I physically touch the vent holes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread